Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/19/2017 9:42:51 PM EDT
Good evening Idaho HTF:

Wife and I will be headed home to Oregon from Jackson Hole WY sometime next week and have an extra day to kill so rather than just take I-84 again we're looking for something different.  

We'd like to wind up going west over US 12 Lolo Pass from Florence MT, which I've driven before, so I guess what I'm asking for is a recommendation on the most scenic route from the Jackson/Rexburg/Idaho Falls area to the Missoula area?

FWIW, I've spent a lot of time in North ID and down 95 to Boise but have never been to the eastern part of your state.  Likewise, some time around Missoula but never south of Hamilton on US 93.  Taking 28 from outside of Rexburg up to Salmon looks like a good bet, but I thought I'd ask for all ya'lls opinions.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 12:18:42 AM EDT
[#1]
If you take 191 north from west yellowstone that takes you through lotsa forest area, just watch out for roaming buffalo herds. That will take you all the way up to the Bozeman area and from there you can take the 90 all the way to Missoula.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:27:52 AM EDT
[#2]
You might consider the 15 to Clark Canyon Reservoir then West on 324 to Lemhi Pass then to Salmon then to US 12 up the US 93.  About 24 miles on 324 are well maintained dirt.

Lemhi pass is where Lewis & Clark first traversed the Continental divide.

I live in Salmon.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 12:55:47 AM EDT
[#3]
We ended up taking 33 through Rexburg and then 28 up to Salmon.  93 to Missoula, spent the night there, then 12 all the way back to 84.  Unfortunately no dirt roads since we were in the wife's car and not my pickup, and had some time constraints.

Lovely trip, I will have to check out the routes ya'll mentioned on future trips.  Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top