Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/14/2016 9:06:29 PM EDT
I am selling a Glock 19 on the EE here.  I am in Minnesota. I have a potential buyer from MA. My Glock has 15 round mags, but I can get some 10 rounders to sell with Glock instead.

The buyer is asking me to send the frame to his FFl and the slide to him directly. He says the shop can't sell him a Glock directly, but can transfer one to him (mine)

Being unfamiliar with MA laws. Does any of this make sense? What should I know about shipping to MA from out of  state?

This is how he explained the reason for shipping the frame separate from the slide.

("It's all Massachusetts, you can own a glock with a LTC but the FFL can not sell it to you. So my FFL can transfer me in a frame and registers it to me and I build it like a AR. It's legal it just sucks for the FFL.")

And if the buyer reads this, not doubting you bud, but I need to make sure everything is on the up and up
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 1:03:43 AM EDT
[#1]

He is correct but here's why:

- Fed Law defines the serialized frame as "the gun" and requires FFL transfer plus NICS/4473.

- Mass Gen'l Law (C. 140 S. 121) defines a "gun" as able to fire a round. Since a frame isn't able to fire a round, it isn't a gun and therefore the MA registration/transfer process is not required when a MA Dealer (separate state license) does such a transfer. It is a perfectly legal work-around to the requirement that handguns be on an approved roster (almost all Glocks are) AND meet the amorphous AG's Regulations (she refuses to say what is approved and they have a hair across their ass about Glocks in particular). Here's the link to the law on the state website and the pertinent quotation for this case . . . so you don't have to merely take my word for it.

''Firearm'', a pistol, revolver or other weapon of any description, loaded or unloaded, from which a shot or bullet can be discharged and of which the length of the barrel or barrels is less than 16 inches or 18 inches in the case of a shotgun as originally manufactured; provided, however, that the term firearm shall not include any weapon that is: (i) constructed in a shape that does not resemble a handgun, short-barreled rifle or short-barreled shotgun including, but not limited to, covert weapons that resemble key-chains, pens, cigarette-lighters or cigarette-packages; or (ii) not detectable as a weapon or potential weapon by x-ray machines commonly used at airports or walk- through metal detectors.

Link Posted: 11/15/2016 2:32:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
He is correct but here's why:

- Fed Law defines the serialized frame as "the gun" and requires FFL transfer plus NICS/4473.

- Mass Gen'l Law (C. 140 S. 121) defines a "gun" as able to fire a round. Since a frame isn't able to fire a round, it isn't a gun and therefore the MA registration/transfer process is not required when a MA Dealer (separate state license) does such a transfer. It is a perfectly legal work-around to the requirement that handguns be on an approved roster (almost all Glocks are) AND meet the amorphous AG's Regulations (she refuses to say what is approved and they have a hair across their ass about Glocks in particular). Here's the link to the law on the state website and the pertinent quotation for this case . . . so you don't have to merely take my word for it.

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section121

''Firearm'', a pistol, revolver or other weapon of any description, loaded or unloaded, from which a shot or bullet can be discharged and of which the length of the barrel or barrels is less than 16 inches or 18 inches in the case of a shotgun as originally manufactured; provided, however, that the term firearm shall not include any weapon that is: (i) constructed in a shape that does not resemble a handgun, short-barreled rifle or short-barreled shotgun including, but not limited to, covert weapons that resemble key-chains, pens, cigarette-lighters or cigarette-packages; or (ii) not detectable as a weapon or potential weapon by x-ray machines commonly used at airports or walk- through metal detectors.

Thanks bud. That helped a lot.

About the mags. Can I ship any 10 rounders? Or do they have to be "pre-ban" mags?

View Quote
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 8:37:39 AM EDT
[#3]
About the mags. Can I ship any 10 rounders? Or do they have to be "pre-ban" mags?
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 12:23:37 PM EDT
[#4]

10 rd mags are GTG for anything other than shotguns (limit is 5rds for shotgun).

Link Posted: 11/15/2016 8:12:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
10 rd mags are GTG for anything other than shotguns (limit is 5rds for shotgun).

View Quote

Thanks for all your help bud. Got it all squared away!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top