Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2015 5:17:37 AM EDT
Having a discussion with a smoker the other day about the 'need' for firearms and it made me wonder about deaths attributable to passive smoking so I did some research and found:

Second hand smoke is responsible for around 11,000 deaths in the UK every year. In the US, firearms are involved in around 5,500 murders year.

People in the UK are very quick to say that US gun control is out of control is out of control and why does anyone 'need' automatic weapons but no one needs to smoke either.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 7:37:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I have an extremely hard time believing 11000 people on the planet die from 2nd hand smoke annually, let alone the UK.

TXL
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 8:25:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't know how it is over there, but over here the people who want to outlaw guns are usually the same people who want to outlaw cigarettes.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 4:27:31 AM EDT
[#3]
The WHO reckons it's 600,000 per year worldwide http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-11844169

Unfortunately in my experience, the vast majority of people over here believe gun control laws aren't tight enough both here and in the US.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 9:44:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The WHO reckons it's 600,000 per year worldwide http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-11844169

Unfortunately in my experience, the vast majority of people over here believe gun control laws aren't tight enough both here and in the US.
View Quote

I do not doubt your statistic (thanks, btw).

Q: is it permitted to smoke in restaurants and bars in the UK?  Are there separate smoking sections provided?  What about at work?

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 3:40:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Q: is it permitted to smoke in restaurants and bars in the UK?  Are there separate smoking sections provided?  What about at work?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, smoking in all enclosed public places (including workplaces & work vehicles) was banned in 2007.  They've also just banned smoking in a vehicle with children.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 7:39:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I believe it.

I hate having to breath in someone else's trash.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top