Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/4/2015 2:27:25 PM EDT
While standing at my table at the gunshow a few weekends ago, I had a guy approach me to resolve an argument between him and a friend.

His argument was: "If you need to qualify minimum with a .32 you can't carry anything below that."

This is the first time I've heard anything like that, and in fact I know more than a few people that CCW a .25.  

The only info I could find applying to caliber was the following:

An applicant shall not be licensed unless he demonstrates, at a minimum, his ability to use a handgun of .32 caliber.
View Quote

Anyone hear anything like this before? I'm thinking his argument is BS.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 3:52:18 PM EDT
[#1]
You can only carry calibers smaller than what you qualify with. I guess they just don't want people qualifying with a .22 since that would be the only thing they could carry.

Once again glad I have an AZ permit ....
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 4:55:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can only carry calibers smaller than what you qualify with. I guess they just don't want people qualifying with a .22 since that would be the only thing they could carry.

View Quote

Looking into getting an AZ permit myself.  Heard that NM is going to disallow residents from carrying with a non-resident license.  DPS will not answer my emails about this, though.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 5:09:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Looking into getting an AZ permit myself.  Heard that NM is going to disallow residents from carrying with a non-resident license.  DPS will not answer my emails about this, though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They've had it on their website since 2008 that they might consider that in the future. So far 7 years and no changes though.

A lot of the NM instructors are upset they are losing business to people getting the AZ permit instead. If anyone is going to cause NM to change it is going to be because of the instructors whining.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 1:10:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes you can carry any caliber "up to and including" what you qualified with.  So per the definition of caliber, 9mm = 380 ACP (both 0.355" "caliber"), 38 Special = .357 Magnum (both .357" "caliber"), 32 ACP listed as minimum for qual but is technically .3125" caliber.  This particularly ignorant part of the exceptionally poorly written NM CCW law is a great example of my I'm glad our state legislative session is very short and not much is accomplished.

I think its fun to qualify with calibers that result in awkward licensing, such as a S&W Model 52 semi auto in .38 Special for my "semi-auto" qual and the Taurus .380 ACP revolver for my revolver qual
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 10:25:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Florida also has a nice non resident permit and they allow classes from other states.

NM instructors have been known in my area to price gouge. Especially since there is only 1 place able to hold classes.

However NM has a loophole to carry concealed without a permit. So I'll keep my 180 dollars for a class for now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top