Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/24/2017 11:36:05 PM EDT
I was out in the yard with my child the other day, one of the neighbors saw a black bear a day or two prior, so I slung my AK-47 and carried it about just to be safe. My FIL just happened to stop by and said something to the effect of it not being enough and requiring a 12 gauge or better. The only reason why I wasn't carrying my Mossberg pump gun is i havent figured out how in the heck to aim properly with the bead sight using the slugs I have. What do you guys think? Would one be black bear fodder with an AK for defense? 

ETA: I did Google it and opinions seem mixed. Just interested to see it anyone can speak from experience. 
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:06:17 AM EDT
[#1]
It has taken everything out here from small game to brownies.

I have used my sks to take moose and do take my ak out as bear protection from time to time.

Just use soft points.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:45:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd rather a 12ga, but you're probably fine.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 3:21:57 AM EDT
[#3]
With FMJ i wouldn't bee too worried.

I have a box or two of API x39 that i had in a post sample bear gun. There isn't too much out there i would be worried about carrying that. If i couldn't hit him, i could set him on fire.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:35:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have a box or two of API x39 that i had in a post sample bear gun. There isn't too much out there i would be worried about carrying that. If i couldn't hit him, i could set him on fire.
View Quote
Only you dude
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:51:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
Kill 'em and grill 'em at the same time . ARFCOM approves.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:49:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Some guy killed a Blackie with a 5.45 AK a couple years ago.  It made the news then.  IIRC he was hiking near bird creek.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:38:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh damn! Finally a reason to justify adding a 7.62 sidefolder Vepr to the stable!
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 3:56:57 AM EDT
[#8]
I have taken a black bear with 75 grain TAP (5.56 load) shot placement. That said I would prefer a Shotgun with slugs or a Lever gun in 45 70 or a 458 socom AR
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 12:04:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Some guy killed a Blackie with a 5.45 AK a couple years ago.  It made the news then.  IIRC he was hiking near bird creek.
View Quote
Hiking with an AK-74?
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:08:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Hiking with an AK-74?
View Quote
Well, it was obviously better than nothing. I'll bet he was pretty happy he had it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 3:49:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Never had to use it, but I carry an AK in 7.62x39 all the time anymore.  I still have some 150 grain Cor-Bon ammo for it that I think runs about 2300 fps with 1762 ft. lbs. of energy if I remember correctly.  I don't think they make it anymore, but they may still make the Hunter DPX that has 1445 ft. lbs. at 2300 fps.  I should look around again and see who is making what for it.

Generally there is always two of us when I'm out, and my friend carries the 12 gauge.  I still think that a 12 gauge is the better option obviously if you can hit with it quickly.  A Benelli M4 is in my future at some point for this reason.

For now, I feel completely comfortable with the AK and that I have somewhat good shot placement due to the relatively light recoil.  Most of all I trust that it will always go bang.  And if shit goes sideways, it will be going bang 40 times.  I just seem to be able to get the AK up on target faster and stay there than with my 870 pump.  I need to go take some training classes with 870, and that would help.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 5:11:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Came to post this,  he got like 20 ish hits IIRC but it didn't drop it it veared off the trail and died In brush.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top