Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/25/2015 1:24:44 AM EDT
Not my idea, but I think I want to take it and run with it.  

I was on my way home from work tonight, listening to talk radio.  Then something was brought up that really got my attention.  The guest mentioned that he would like to see a Constitutional amendment for a balanced budget.  Hmmm, that sounds good.  On a smaller level, if a household continues to spend more, than they bring in each month, eventually the payments to service the debt become unsustainable.  Well, the same is true on a larger, Government level as well (see Detroit, or even Greece).

The best way to effect change, is to gain popular support.  Gaining support for a federal amendment would take a BIG commitment and lots of money.  BUT, if the momentum started on a state level (one state adopts it, then two, then three, then ten), the idea of a federal amendment for a balanced budget might be feasible.

I have not even started researching what I need to do, to even have such a thing placed on the ballot in 2016.  This idea is in its infancy, on my part.

What say the hive?  What are the pros/cons for a large Government body mandating a balanced budget?  I suspect hardships for the first 5 to maybe 10 years (mainly for lower income, Government dependent households), then after 10 years, we see major benefits.  Of course, the federal government would not be able to keep a balanced budget during declared war times, but in times of peace, it should be able to.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 2:31:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks like its already law, though it hardly gets followed.

http://www.michigan.gov/budget/0,4538,7-157-21338-53055--F,00.html

I created a FB page.  Nothing like social media to present an idea.  Please like and share if you agree.  I will be adding to it daily (hopefully).  

Balance Michigan
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 5:51:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Welcome to the wonders of mass media; where none of the ideas are new and the talking points don't matter.

There are laws upon laws upon laws that are all doing the same thing and ignored or unimplemented equally, but the candidates, media people and majority of voters are so inept and ignorant of the current government structure that they don't realize any of it.

There is a reason that Matthew Lesko makes money just listing government programs and grants: people would rather pay a dollar to avoid fifty cents worth of their own effort.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top