Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Posted: 1/19/2015 5:43:44 PM EDT
I don't get into the HTF here very often, so I figured I'd cross post this for you guys in case you've got a weekend and want to explore some.

Be really careful about weather conditions out there, the roads go really bad really fast-

Linky to GD post

Maybe we can discuss neat little corners of the state and surrounding areas that we have liked exploring?  I'm not sure how many pictures I can find, but I'll try to find another trip or two.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:48:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like a cool area.

I had posted in the fitness forum where you said you got hurt on that ice.

One of my favorite areas we have been hitting up 2-3 times a year is extreme SE Utah near Bluff.

The ruins, artifacts, and rock art is amazing and I can't believe some of the finds we have made.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 2:07:25 AM EDT
[#2]
That is a neat thing to be out there in the middle of nowhere... How did you find out about it?

(I love roaming the West Desert... as you might deduce)

Lets see if anyone knows where this is:

Link Posted: 1/21/2015 1:22:33 PM EDT
[#3]
To try to combine the last two posts in one response-

I haven't been to either of those places.  Really curious about the one in the West Desert!  

The Confusions Mtn range in the west desert has a really cool old CCC camp with a reservoir where you can find a lot of neat fossils.  Easy to get lost though, good reason to call that area the confusions.

Also, Devils Canyon near Gandy ranch south of trout creek is pretty cool.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 1:25:21 PM EDT
[#4]
The West Desert is probably my favorite part of the state to explore. That looks like a really neat camping spot WesDesRat.

I'll have to check out Granite Peak Reservoir also.

If anyone is into rockhounding I would recommend Topaz Mountain. There are some great Topaz crystals to find.

I have also looked for Trilobites in the BLM area just below the U dig fossils operation which is SE of Swasey Peak.

I didn't have any luck though.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 12:40:56 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I haven't been to either of those places.  Really curious about the one in the West Desert!  

The Confusions Mtn range in the west desert has a really cool old CCC camp with a reservoir where you can find a lot of neat fossils.  Easy to get lost though, good reason to call that area the confusions.

View Quote

I'll give you guys a hint: It's a long way from nowhere... and you have to cross the Union Pacific railway to get access to the range. That is the ONLY access to the mountain range... unless you know someone in the Military that can get you in from the south end.   You also might pass the giant pumps on the edge of the GSL to get there, depending on what way you come in from.

I have been in the Confusion range, and also wandered around the Deep Creeks some too... it's a really neat area. Topaz is neat, if a bit busy sometimes. Fish Springs is also an interesting place. Went there once for the duck hunt opener... it was a shooting gallery!

Link Posted: 1/22/2015 12:37:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'll give you guys a hint: It's a long way from nowhere... and you have to cross the Union Pacific railway to get access to the range. That is the ONLY access to the mountain range... unless you know someone in the Military that can get you in from the south end.   You also might pass the giant pumps on the edge of the GSL to get there, depending on what way you come in from.

I have been in the Confusion range, and also wandered around the Deep Creeks some too... it's a really neat area. Topaz is neat, if a bit busy sometimes. Fish Springs is also an interesting place. Went there once for the duck hunt opener... it was a shooting gallery!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That cool.  I've kicked around out west of MagCorp once, drove down that old rail line for about 80 miles, really cool trip.  We also saw the spiral jetty on that trip, but it's a complete waste of time and effort imo.  I haven't really spent much time north of Gold Hill, but I'm very familiar with Fish Springs.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 1:02:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That is a neat thing to be out there in the middle of nowhere... How did you find out about it?

View Quote

Newfoundland Mtns?
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 12:36:22 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Newfoundland Mtns?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Newfoundland Mtns?

Sssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......

Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top