Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/17/2015 7:20:40 PM EDT
I have this love/hate relationship with the brown truck.  A few minutes ago the diesel detector (my dog) alerted me to a delivery.  The driver delivered across the street, proceeded to run across the neighbors lawn back to his truck.  Diesel detector (my dog) alerted to defcon 5, as I assume delivery guy was now at our porch.  He drops my ammo, then runs across my mud bogged lawn.  C'mon dude!  Use the sidewalk would ya!  
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 4:31:34 AM EDT
[#1]
It's hard to be mad when they deliver such joy.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 9:33:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Our UPS guy is really good.  One day my wife, who works nights, answered the door during her sleepy time and he was like "oh crap, I am so sorry".  Since then he hasn't rung the doorbell.  He also waves at us when we see hime in the hood.  Nice guy.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 1:33:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Ain't no time for sidewalks when you're on the clock.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 9:39:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

True 'dat.

Funny (and sad) story: My brother-in-law started working as a USPS letter carrier last year.  Owning to his work ethic and desire to do a good job, he delivered the mail quickly and accurately.  A couple of weeks later the union steward took him aside and told my B.I.L., "The other guys are complaining that you're working too fast and making them look bad.  Remember, no one ever got fired for working too slowly."  

The implicit message?  "You're a public-sector employee.  The bar is low, and you're expected to maintain it."

Amazing, the difference between being on the clock in government vs. the private sector.  

Give the UPS guy a break.  It could be worse.  It could be the USPS guy cutting across your lawn.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 7:58:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
True 'dat.

Funny (and sad) story: My brother-in-law started working as a USPS letter carrier last year.  Owning to his work ethic and desire to do a good job, he delivered the mail quickly and accurately.  A couple of weeks later the union steward took him aside and told my B.I.L., "The other guys are complaining that you're working too fast and making them look bad.  Remember, no one ever got fired for working too slowly."  

The implicit message?  "You're a public-sector employee.  The bar is low, and you're expected to maintain it."

Amazing, the difference between being on the clock in government vs. the private sector.  

Give the UPS guy a break.  It could be worse.  It could be the USPS guy cutting across your lawn.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

True 'dat.

I'll be honest, I'm in a bad fuckin mood for a whole other reason but I am nevertheless sick and tired of hearing this crap. I have worked both private and public sector jobs. I am currently employed by a state government agency which I will not name here. It is true there are lazy sacks of shit whom are more than happy to sit back and collect a paycheck. Unfortunately, that is probably attributable more so to the union environment and poor management than anything, however, these same conditions exist elsewhere. I also work with a lot of fine individuals who truly care about the work they do and believe that the concept of stewardship is something we should all aspire to rather than banter about as a token buzzword. As for myself, I bust my ass with a work ethic that would put Sisyphus to shame. In the end, I'll never convince you I'm not the lazy SOB you envision all government workers are but perhaps you should at least consider your words more carefully before deriding an incredibly broad and diverse group that is, in truth, no less reflective of society than any other workforce.

OP: A UPS driver's work day usually ends when all packages aboard their truck are delivered. There is immense pressure to make timely and efficient delivery and the reward for doing so is invariably more packages to deliver, thus a driver must walk a fine line between productivity and sanity. In the best case scenario, your driver probably just wants to make it home at a reasonable hour so while the situation may not be ideal, perhaps you might consider cutting him some slack and to Stephen's point, appreciate the driver's willing to hustle and get the job done.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top