Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2016 11:18:29 AM EDT
Has anyone played with/used a FNH FNAR 7.62?
I keep seeing these pop up for around $760 plus shipping and starting to get curious about it.
A box fed, 20 rds of .308 seems like a great mid-long range rifle, with a suppressor and decent glass for all-around defensive rifle with punch.
Thoughts on these?

link
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 12:29:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I haven't handled one but Nutn likes it

"FN FNAR: Heavy Hitter, Accurate" by Nutnfancy
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 2:07:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Had a student bring one last year to a precision rifle course I ran at SCOTG in Laurens SC.  

I got behind it and shot it a bit.  The one I shot was totally stock.  I don't remember the scope that was on it, but I do remember I didn't care for it (the scope that is).

My thoughts:
-trigger needed work.  Not sure what is available for that platform.  Like any trigger, I'm sure the existing trigger can be tuned up if an aftermarket ain't available.
-I had to swap out the replaceable comb to get the cheek height to work for me. I don't like the replaceable setup near as much as an adjustable.
-Despite the trigger and cheekpiece that I couldn't get the right height for, it shot well.  I would be curious how well it would shoot with those improved.  

Overall, I don't like it near as much as a good AR10-type platform, but it costs quite a bit less. It shot decently well and I know it would have shot better with a stock that fit me, a better trigger, and good optics.  

In my book it would make a very capable DMR, but not a true Sniper/precision rifle.  However, I am basing my opinion on the one rifle I have shot.  For the price, if I was looking for an accurate semi-auto .308 for well under $1,000, I would definitely consider the FNAR.

I don't believe the gas system is adjustable, or how it would run with a suppressor on it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 2:33:46 PM EDT
[#3]
The FNAR is the tactical version of the Browning BAR. Same proprietary internals, just in flat black with a heavy barrel and pistol grip stock. I have a fluted heavy barrel BAR Carbine and its great for hunting. I have heard that you can't thread the barrel (I've forgotten why) and there is really no aftermarket support for these rifle. They were not very popular.

That said, if you can get it cheap, go for it. I have been happy with mine.

Accountant
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 2:56:30 PM EDT
[#4]
With the 16" fluted barrel, it would be a good rifle for what the OP spec'ed out.  Mount a decent optic in the 1-6x or 2.5-10x range and it would be an excellent knockaround/truck gun.  The Nightforce SHV 3-10x42mm should be available for $800 or so, if you don't have to have an illuminated reticle.  The illuminated reticle version should be available late 2016/early 2017, but of course it will cost $125 or so more.

As long as you can score one for under $800 it would be a deal.  If not, I'd pay the extra for an AR10-type platform.    
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 3:02:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Ouch!   Just a quick search found that brand new 20rd FN-manufactured mags are $58 and up.  That means that the gun and 10 mags wouldn't cost much less than an AR10 with 10 20rd PMags.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 3:50:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ouch!   Just a quick search found that brand new 20rd FN-manufactured mags are $58 and up.  That means that the gun and 10 mags wouldn't cost much less than an AR10 with 10 20rd PMags.
View Quote

Yeah that was always the killer on those. But then again 99% of people buying them would never need more than 2 mags.

Link Posted: 7/21/2016 4:17:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I haven't handled one but Nutn likes it

"FN FNAR: Heavy Hitter, Accurate" by Nutnfancy
View Quote

That recommendation alone would stop me
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 4:57:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I would imagine that the difficulty in threading the barrel would be because the barreled action is difficult to grab in a lathe.   Not that it can't be done, but much more difficult, especially if the barrel is not easily removable and "re-installable".  

I'm running into that same issue with my 16.5" suppressed Steyr SSG 69 project.  Wanted it cut down to 16.5" and threaded at 5/8x24, but not an easy project.  The press-fit barrel is not readily removable, and the action with its rear lug is not as easy to grab in a chuck as, say, a Rem700.  I'm having a buddy do it, so it is doable, just not a project most gun builders are set up for and not worth their time to change their setup to accommodate it.  He is a special projects sort of guy, and is used to working on oddballs.  He is looking at several ways to tackle this project, and it may include machining an "insert" to slide into the action from the rear and center on the bore.  If it wasn't for the fact that he's a good buddy and doing this because I'm a pal, it would be cost prohibitive.  

If the FNAR barrel is not simple to remove and re-install, then good luck grabbing that relatively tall, thin aluminum receiver in a a chuck with any sort of regularity/concentricity.  FN missed the boat by not having this already threaded from the factory.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 7:07:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Friend of mine has one . It seem to be a decent shooter but you guys covered the handicaps , expensive mags and no support
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 9:29:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, by the sounds of it, it would be a pass on it unless it's a smoking deal. I'll stick with an AR10 or a bolt gun.
Thanks guys
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 9:59:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I've had really good results from the basic varmint dpms 308s. I've had some dpms 223 parts in the past that were bad. I feel like they either have improved their consistency or simply do a better job with the 308s.

I can't see the use of the fnar. The bar action is time proven, but not by folks who shoot thousands of rounds.  If it was 5-600 maybe, but at the price point I think I'd search around for an $900 dpms if they are still around.

The bolt guns that take dpms pattern mags are also attractive.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:18:37 AM EDT
[#12]
The FNAR is a fine setup if you're looking for an economical grab and go setup.  

They are relatively accurate, reliable, and durable, and pricing is pretty good, but they do have some cons.

Mags are relatively expensive, but they are steel mags and they will last a very long time.  If you're looking to stack them deep then it's going to get expensive.  If you're okay with having 5 or so then you only need to purchase 3.  Remember, this is not a battle rifle or a fighting rifle, it's a DMR setup, so kitting up with 10 loaded mags may be a little more than you need for that task.

The rifle design does not lend itself well to customization as others have accurately noted.  Even threading the barrel is going to be a challenge.  I agree with others that FN dropped the ball on not offering threaded barrels.

There is practically no aftermarket support.  Basically, what you see is what you get.

The rifle is a challenge to disassemble and clean.  Remember, it's based on the 1918 BAR design, so you know it's reliable and you don't need to clean it very often, but it's also a challenge to detail strip and clean.  It can be done, you just need some patience.  

For what the FNAR is, it's not a bad rifle.  If you realize and accept it's limitations, it'll serve you well.  If you want to have the option of upgrading or customizing a rifle, this one is probably not a good choice.

USSA-1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top