Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2014 5:22:09 PM EDT

I've been hearing about SureFire, yada yada...  

Or should I go AAC M4-2000 @ $650?

BTW, Rainier Arms is having a SALE.  

I would like to make the purchase before the sale ends, Midnight... I believe.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:46:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Surefire cans are loud as hell and you have to shoot them off (Yes, loosen them and then put another round downrange) if you forget to take them off immediately after shooting.

AAC cans are nice, but IMO they're kinda overrated. My favorite that I've shot (which just so happens to be the most quiet as well) was a Silencerco Specwar 5.56. Priced pretty well ($7-800 or less, I forget exactly how much) and one of the best cans on the market.

And do yourself a favor, if you're just buying ONE can, buy a 7.62 can. You'll thank me later.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:53:24 PM EDT
[#2]
M82Assault,

Thanks for the info...

BUTT!!! don't the AACs tickle your fancy at the price I stated?

BTW, I will go dedicated 5.56 & 7.62.

Just wanting to go for the 5.56 right now if the quality and price is right.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:06:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I know you said dedicated 5.56 and 7.62 BUT I've got the SDN-6 and I run it on my SBR, M-4 and .308 bolt.  It is a great suppressor. Yes, it's more than the M4-2000, but you should be able to find one locally for $850ish.  You can use it on both calibers while your are waiting on your second stamp.

Just my .02
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:17:22 PM EDT
[#4]
M4-2000 @ $650 is a screaming deal. Don't forget that as long as it is a new can you will get $200 in store credit at aac.  I love my m4-2000. I would jump on it.

Stay away from the m4-1000.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:18:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
M82Assault,

Thanks for the info...

BUTT!!! don't the AACs tickle your fancy at the price I stated?

BTW, I will go dedicated 5.56 & 7.62.

Just wanting to go for the 5.56 right now if the quality and price is right.
View Quote

While the price is nice, my philosophy is if I'm going to drop almost a G note + stamp and wait 87 months to get it, I want the top of the line/best on the market, not a model that's an old design.

BUT that's me.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:33:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Or go with the 762sd and be able to shot both 223 and 762.

BTW check Cherokee pawn. They had a smoking deal on them just a few weeks ago.

******I am in no way affiliated with them***""
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 2:19:09 AM EDT
[#7]
I would go with the 556SD for the same money as the M4-1000.

The SD has the 51T mount, and is all Inconel SS.

Same weight and size as the M4-2000.

Rich
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 2:32:16 AM EDT
[#8]
I recently bought my first suppressor, a SilencerCo Specwar 762, and bought muzzle devices to attach it to several rifles including a 20" RRA Varmint Rifle (556/223) and a 10.5" PWS rifle, also in 556/223 (among others).

Its a little long and heavy hanging off the SBR and I'm debating something shorter and lighter to dedicate to the SBR and the Surefire is really the only one that considerably cuts down on both length and weight.  I realize that suppression is handicapped at this expense, but on an SBR we're not really looking to "silence" the rifle, just make it so it doesn't rattle our teeth when its fired.

That said, I'm happy with the Specwar762 on everything other than the SBR, and I'm not totally dis-satisfied with it in that respect.  Anything else (except the Surefire offerings) is only a little shorter, or a little lighter, but not enough to make a "real" difference.  At least in my opinion.

I say all that to say this, if you're looking for short and light, get the Surefire.  But, realize that you'll be sacrificing suppression in favor of length and weight.  If suppression is your goal, I'd suggest looking at the other offerings.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 3:09:31 AM EDT
[#9]
I wouldn't buy an M4-1000 with all the current offerings on the mkt today.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 3:26:46 AM EDT
[#10]
After comparing options from AAC and many others, SiencerCo got my money. I ordered the Specwar but for you the Saker may be a better fit. The mounting system of the Specwar and overall suppression is what sold me. I have not heard good things about the AAC mounts regarding accuracy.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:48:19 AM EDT
[#11]
M41K was a great can in 2007. About the best bang for the buck at the time. I won't say suppressors have evolved to be better since then, but attachment methods have. When the M41K was out (or changed to 1K from the old 2K), and the tension spring was non-NFA, it was a lifetime can, but who wants to have to send to AAC to replace the little spring?

That said, My M41K has a few thousand rounds through it on several different rifles. I've never had it come loose even one click on three different 18 tooth mounts. I wouldn't sell it for $450.

If I were shopping now, I'd look at the SPECWAR, and would consider the 7.62 if I could get muzzle devices for the 5.56. IMHO, I've done both dedicated cans and one size fits all. There's little disadvantage to a OSFA  7.62 can other than weight and length.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:43:13 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm satified with my 762 Specwar, with the 556 version in the process.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:37:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I would go with the 556SD for the same money as the M4-1000.

The SD has the 51T mount, and is all Inconel SS.

Same weight and size as the M4-2000.

Rich
View Quote

This is the route I went.  For $450, the 556SD seemed like a steal.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:18:22 AM EDT
[#14]
so what was the end result OP? Since the sale ended at midnight.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 10:00:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

I learned that I needed to learn more before I leaped.

There will be other sales or I'll have the extra cash in hand when it's time to fo.

I've been researching like a wild man due to the responses.

Thanks to all, from a cantankerous old man.  

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 11:44:50 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

There will be other sales or I'll have the extra cash in hand when it's time to fo.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Good decision.  It rarely pays to cheap out on NFA since they are essentially lifetime purchases.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 11:58:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Or just do the right thing the first time.....
. get both!
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:55:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
M4-2000 @ $650 is a screaming deal. Don't forget that as long as it is a new can you will get $200 in store credit at aac.  I love my m4-2000. I would jump on it.

Stay away from the m4-1000.
View Quote

Why?
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 9:31:27 PM EDT
[#19]
M4-1k uses the 18 tooth mounting for one thing.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 3:52:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have one that is about 10 years old or more that is 18T.

I didn't know that they had not updated newer ones with the 51T.

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 6:44:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep.  I had horrible experiences with the 18T.  The 51T mount has been great for me.  Also the full inconel baffle stack will help the can last longer compared to the M4-1000.  

Honestly, at this point if someone gave me an M4-1000 I wouldnt even be willing to pay the $200 transfer fee.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:02:30 AM EDT
[#22]
My M4 1K is all Inconel baffles. It's from the end of the M42K 2007 model and got the M4 2K baffles. That was the deciding factor over the 2K or the Ops 16th.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:45:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There were never any "new" M4-1000's.  They were introduced as a cost saving alternative to the Mod 08 M4-2K. Honestly most shops kept them to up sell M4-2K's.

I also agree with the comment above. I wouldn't pay the tax stamp on a free one. Back in the day the 18T was the shit, much like the model T in its day.

The industry has progressed leaps and bounds since then.  

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:50:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
My M4 1K is all Inconel baffles. It's from the end of the M42K 2007 model and got the M4 2K baffles. That was the deciding factor over the 2K or the Ops 16th.
View Quote

On the M41k the blast baffle is inconel and the rest are stainless steel.  Here are Mark's experiences with the increased wear of the M41k vs M4-2000:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_20/309725_.html
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 8:03:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Since we have have some experts in this thread can some one tell me the real difference between the 556sd and the m42k?
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 11:03:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

On the M41k the blast baffle is inconel and the rest are stainless steel.  Here are Mark's experiences with the increased wear of the M41k vs M4-2000:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I could be misremembering, but my recollection from Mark is that mine (and a few others from the same run) used left over Inconel baffle stacks when AAC came out with the 51T M4 2000.

Either way, I have a few thousand rounds through it and the spring is still tight on the FH that came with it and on the SOPMOD FH I bought years later, and likewise on the BO FH I tried out.

That said, I'd shop for something from SilencerCo if I was a new customer.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 3:40:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

There were never any "new" M4-1000's.  They were introduced as a cost saving alternative to the Mod 08 M4-2K. Honestly most shops kept them to up sell M4-2K's.

I also agree with the comment above. I wouldn't pay the tax stamp on a free one. Back in the day the 18T was the shit, much like the model T in its day.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I bought mine, 18T was all that was available on any models.  My 762SD is also 18T.

Long time ago.

It still works quite well.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 3:55:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

When I bought mine, 18T was all that was available on any models.  My 762SD is also 18T.

Long time ago.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Long time ago.

Yup. 18T was phased out in 2010ish timeframe on new production.  762-SD 51T was an unannounced in line change, but that can was killed in 2010 only to be resurrected with an all inconel stack in 2014.

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 6:29:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Yup. 18T was phased out in 2010ish timeframe on new production.  762-SD 51T was an unannounced in line change, but that can was killed in 2010 only to be resurrected with an all inconel stack in 2014.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Long time ago.

From what I understand, the 18T models cannot be converted to 51T.

I guess I will use them until they crap out then replace them since they apparently won't refurb them.  Just ain't fond of waiting on paperwork again.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 7:14:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

From what I understand, the 18T models cannot be converted to 51T.

I guess I will use them until they crap out then replace them since they apparently won't refurb them.  Just ain't fond of waiting on paperwork again.
View Quote

AAC will replace the springs at no charge but you are correct- they cannot be converted to 51T.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 7:23:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

AAC will replace the springs at no charge but you are correct- they cannot be converted to 51T.
View Quote

Can they/will they do anything with one of the original pilots? Anyway to make them dissembleable with out voiding warranty?
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 5:42:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Can they/will they do anything with one of the original pilots? Anyway to make them dissembleable with out voiding warranty?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope. Stalking rhino will though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top