Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/17/2011 6:33:08 PM EDT
I found a laptop at the airport yesterday. In the parking lot no less. A nice one that I know the owner has to be missing.

It is password protected. How can I find information as to who the owner may be in order to return it to him.

All I know is that his name is Dave.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 6:39:36 PM EDT
[#1]
any company lease info on it?

only other option is to hope he registered it with the manufacturer and call them with the serial number.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 6:47:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I would be willing to get in to it to see if we could find owner information.  Where are you?
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 6:55:16 PM EDT
[#3]
just for grins if it is a corp laptop you might want to try the standard administrator as the user and the serial number (not case sensitive) as the password. :)
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 6:58:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Its a rather new machine. A large HP running Windows 7. It had a T-Mobile Aircard in it but T-Mobile is not willing to provide me with the owners contact info.

It does have a serial number on the bottom side. It also has one of those fingerprint swipey access points too. It does not appear to be a corporate machine.

I live on Lake Hartwell now. Right on the South Carolina line.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 6:59:46 PM EDT
[#5]
or

L0calAdm!n

for the password to the local machine as Administrator for the user name
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 7:18:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Just report it to the airport police and TSA.  The guy will definitely try to find it there first.  The airport also has a Lost and Found department within the airport.  

Just leave your name and number with each of those.  If nobody calls you in 90 days, it is yours.  Without documentation of reporting it, you could get in trouble.  But if you document it that you tried everything to find the owner, it will be yours.  Then just format it, reload an OS and enjoy.  

But definitely start with the police, lost and found, and TSA.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 7:19:25 PM EDT
[#7]
More than likely the hard drive in it is a 2.5" SATA drive.  If you have a desktop with spare SATA ports you could pull the hard drive and plug it into your desktop.  More than likely they do not have the drive encrypted so you should be able to get something.  This is of course why my laptop has a 1.8" ZIF connector - who the hell is going to be able to read that?  :-)
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 7:32:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Dave,....... he's not here
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 7:33:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I tried the lost and found route at the airport. Police just wanted the laptop. Got no where. Just a ton of incompetantcy.

I prefer try and return it myself.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 7:43:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Its a rather new machine. A large HP running Windows 7. It had a T-Mobile Aircard in it but T-Mobile is not willing to provide me with the owners contact info.

It does have a serial number on the bottom side. It also has one of those fingerprint swipey access points too. It does not appear to be a corporate machine.

I live on Lake Hartwell now. Right on the South Carolina line.

HP will have the information, the serial number is attached to a warrenty which is attached to the company.. That will get it to the right company..

I have a few buddies that work for HP too, they can probably look it up. Just PM me if you want to go that route.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 7:47:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
More than likely the hard drive in it is a 2.5" SATA drive.  If you have a desktop with spare SATA ports you could pull the hard drive and plug it into your desktop.  More than likely they do not have the drive encrypted so you should be able to get something.  This is of course why my laptop has a 1.8" ZIF connector - who the hell is going to be able to read that?  :-)

Me...if I was at work
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 7:49:47 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a buddy named Dave.  Get it to me and I'll be sure he gets it

I can understand why T mobile or HP wouldn't give you the contact info, but maybe they'd contact him and give him your number?
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 8:58:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I can crack it....

It's a necessary skill for all low life pawn brokers

We need to make sure there aren't any naked pictures or homemade movies of Paris Hilton on the HD..!!!!!!!!

TD
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 9:03:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I can crack it....

We need to make sure there aren't any naked pictures or homemade movies of Paris Hilton on the HD..!!!!!!!!

TD

Whats the trick?

Link Posted: 6/17/2011 9:08:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can crack it....

TD

Whats the trick?

Which OS..???

TD
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 9:23:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Windows 7
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 9:29:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Windows 7

Have not attempted to crack Win 7 but it can't be much different than XP since that's the OS it's based on.

TD

Link Posted: 6/18/2011 2:16:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Us "low life" pawnbrokers use things like these to get the passwords...

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/gr/ophcrack.htm - shows all accounts logon passwords - worked for me on Win7 32 & 64 bit systems.

http://www.piotrbania.com/all/kon-boot/ - bypasses the windoze login at bootup

If it has a hard drive password, the only option is to replace the drive - ask me how I learned that one!
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 2:24:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I tried the lost and found route at the airport. Police just wanted the laptop. Got no where. Just a ton of incompetantcy.

? They let you take it home after you said you found it and it wasn't yours????
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 2:43:24 AM EDT
[#20]
make sure you turn it over to the police otherwise it is theft of lost or mislaid property
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 6:25:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

? They let you take it home after you said you found it and it wasn't yours????

No, I took it with me when I found it and called a few places the following day. They wanted to have it in their possession. That does not help the owner get his laptop. I'm sure the owner needs it. I intend to find the owner.

Link Posted: 6/18/2011 6:30:23 AM EDT
[#22]
you could always pull the hard drive and run it in a USB box
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 6:45:24 AM EDT
[#23]
theres a post in the GAforum(right below this topic) about a dude who lost his laptop at the atlanta airport. have you asked him if its his?
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 6:56:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
theres a post in the GAforum(right below this topic) about a dude who lost his laptop at the atlanta airport. have you asked him if its his?

I'm rather positive that he is being a jokester and just thinks he is hillarious.

Link Posted: 6/18/2011 7:04:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Tod, I've got a disk that gets around the admin password on Windows 7. Bring the box to work on Tuesday and we can crack it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 7:05:24 AM EDT
[#26]
You got a charging cord for a large HP as well.....its dead.
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 7:28:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I'll look around. I might be able to come up with something. Worse case I have a SATA-USB adapter and we can pull the HDD.
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 9:08:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I have a universal notebook charger that you are welcome to borrow. It probably has a compatible plug. I'm in north metro ATL. I could ship it UPS Monday.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 9:13:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a universal notebook charger that you are welcome to borrow. It probably has a compatible plug. I'm in north metro ATL. I could ship it UPS Monday.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

I think murph has one.  He should be able to bring it in on tuesday.
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 9:14:26 AM EDT
[#30]
tag for teh hacks
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 11:14:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
make sure you turn it over to the police otherwise it is theft of lost or mislaid property

+10000 very applicable situation.....don't get hung up.....there are NO free lunches. If you know you have someone elses property and never contacted the police because "they're incompetent"  it still doesn't fly. I'm no expert but can't computers have some sort of GPS or LO-Jack system in them...especially higher ended ones....I know it's rare....but wouldn't it suck to have the Po-Po show up at your house with a warrant looking for stolen property (and oops...there it is on the counter).....wouldn't be very pleasant....not your problem....not your property.O.C.G.A. § 16-8-6

GEORGIA CODE
Copyright 2011 by The State of Georgia
All rights reserved.

*** Current Through the 2010 Regular Session ***
*** Annotations Current Through March 14, 2011 ***

TITLE 16.  CRIMES AND OFFENSES  
CHAPTER 8.  OFFENSES INVOLVING THEFT  
ARTICLE 1.  THEFT

O.C.G.A. § 16-8-6  (2011)

§ 16-8-6.  Theft of lost or mislaid property

A person commits the offense of theft of lost or mislaid property when he comes into control of property that he knows or learns to have been lost or mislaid and appropriates the property to his own use HACKING IT OPEN ....TRY TO EXPLAIN THAT without first taking reasonable measures to restore the property to the owner.
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 11:22:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll look around. I might be able to come up with something. Worse case I have a SATA-USB adapter and we can pull the HDD.

If there is personal or business info on this person's locked computer (or worse...a .gov computer) ? I would sue you for invasion of privacy if you hacked my personal computer prior to alerting police or giving to lost and found ...even to "give it back". The police have the GCIC/NCIC system for lost property. The computer is required to be entered onto it and the owner supplies the serial number when he makes the report and is reunited with the computer (which is a very likely scenario if it is a high end machine with a visible serial number).

Not a smart move guys....people have been arrested for less. (trust me on this).
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 11:22:29 AM EDT
[#33]
You could post in Craig's List lost and found.
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 12:34:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If there is personal or business info on this person's locked computer (or worse...a .gov computer) ? I would sue you for invasion of privacy if you hacked my personal computer prior to alerting police or giving to lost and found ...even to "give it back". The police have the GCIC/NCIC system for lost property. The computer is required to be entered onto it and the owner supplies the serial number when he makes the report and is reunited with the computer (which is a very likely scenario if it is a high end machine with a visible serial number).

Not a smart move guys....people have been arrested for less. (trust me on this).

Reading is fundamental. He said he has spoken with the police.

Link Posted: 6/18/2011 12:41:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dude.....really? I'm doing everything I can to get this individual their computer back. My luck, I'll return it to someone like you.

I have given my information to the police in jurisdiction at the airport.

I probably should have just left it for fear of being sued for attempting to do a good deed. Maybe someone else would have found it and delivered it to the local pawn shop for his next fix of meth.

If it was a business computer or a .gov machine. It would be marked all over as such. My corporate machine is. This one has nothing. The T-Mobile aircard is not registered through T-Mobile. I'm sure this individual wants his machine back. Thats all I'm trying to do. I would only hope someone would do that for me.

Some of you guys on here make me sick.

Link Posted: 6/18/2011 12:51:19 PM EDT
[#36]

Lesson learned in this thread

Some people will go out of their way to do the right thing while other folks would prefer not get involved.
Make sure your laptop has contact information (not too much through) readily available.

Monk
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 1:00:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And it's because of folks like you that states have to pass good samaratin laws.

Link Posted: 6/18/2011 1:11:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+10000 very applicable situation.....don't get hung up.....there are NO free lunches. If you know you have someone elses property and never contacted the police because "they're incompetent"  it still doesn't fly. I'm no expert but can't computers have some sort of GPS or LO-Jack system in them...especially higher ended ones....I know it's rare....but wouldn't it suck to have the Po-Po show up at your house with a warrant looking for stolen property (and oops...there it is on the counter).....wouldn't be very pleasant....not your problem....not your property.O.C.G.A. § 16-8-6

GEORGIA CODE
Copyright 2011 by The State of Georgia
All rights reserved.

*** Current Through the 2010 Regular Session ***
*** Annotations Current Through March 14, 2011 ***

TITLE 16.  CRIMES AND OFFENSES  
CHAPTER 8.  OFFENSES INVOLVING THEFT  
ARTICLE 1.  THEFT

O.C.G.A. § 16-8-6  (2011)

§ 16-8-6.  Theft of lost or mislaid property

A person commits the offense of theft of lost or mislaid property when he comes into control of property that he knows or learns to have been lost or mislaid and appropriates the property to his own use HACKING IT OPEN ....TRY TO EXPLAIN THAT without first taking reasonable measures to restore the property to the owner.

yup, and in this case it would be a felony, OP turn the computer over to the police

you do not want it in your possession when the police come looking for it/you
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 1:21:18 PM EDT
[#39]
I've dealt with the police on two seperate occassions when property of mine was stolen.  I was less than impressed.  They didn't pursue jack and, in one case, I even told them which pawn shop had my stuff.  If he turns the laptop over to the police, it will never be returned to it's owner.
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 1:27:52 PM EDT
[#40]
If it hasn't been stated:

Get service tag/serial from bottom label. Call HP. They probably won't give you any info, but they should have the original buyer in the database. Tell them what is happening, and they should contact that person.
Unless this system was bought secondhand, you might can have them contact "Dave" and let "Dave" know you have it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 5:43:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And it's because of folks like you that states have to pass good samaratin laws.

Took on a responsibility that was not yours....now you are responsible. This has nothing to do with being a good samaritan....it has everything to do with hacking into something.

You broke rule #1 about protecting yourself....toeing the line and feeling the need to explain your actions isn't the scenario you should want to be in.

This isn't a baby crawling on the interstate....good samaritan
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 5:49:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I've dealt with the police on two seperate occassions when property of mine was stolen.  I was less than impressed.  They didn't pursue jack and, in one case, I even told them which pawn shop had my stuff.  If he turns the laptop over to the police, it will never be returned to it's owner.

Did you have your serial numbers? Or was it Jewelry? Did you get a copy of the report and follow ups to see what was done?
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 5:52:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Took on a responsibility that was not yours....now you are responsible. This has nothing to do with being a good samaritan....it has everything to do with hacking into something.

You broke rule #1 about protecting yourself....toeing the line and feeling the need to explain your actions isn't the scenario you should want to be in.

This isn't a baby crawling on the interstate....good samaritan

WHATEVER......knowing there are people like you in the world will definitely cause me to not get involved next time.

Link Posted: 6/18/2011 5:57:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dude.....really? I'm doing everything Except giving it to the police and following up on it being listed on NCIC/GCICI can to get this individual their computer back. My luck, I'll return it to someone like you.

I have given my information to the police in jurisdiction at the airport. You may have given your info to lost and found or asked a question but the police cannot allow you to walk off with someone elses property
I probably should have just left it for fear of being sued for attempting to do a good deed. Maybe someone else would have found it and delivered it to the local pawn shop for his next fix of meth Since pawn shops run on the same GCIC/NCIC system as the police he would get it back quicker this way if he listed it as lost/stolen.

If it was a business computer or a .gov machine  . It would be marked all over as such Wrong. My corporate machine is Mine isn't for that reason. This one has nothing. The T-Mobile aircard is not registered through T-Mobile. I'm sure this individual wants his machine back. and most likely made a report and had it listed on GCIC/NCIC Thats all I'm trying to do. I would only hope someone would do that for me.

Some of you guys on here make me sick.

Your saying an officer allowed you to maintain someone elses property and there was a report done that said you contacted a department/officer about this....that's not correct.  

I'm not saying you shouldn't help get this guys computer back to him.....but you may harm yourself with the extra stuff you are going about doing. Refusing to turn over to cops....who have a system for this...and trying to hack someone elses computer with their business, financial, and personal info in it.

I'm trying to help you out here man....trust me.

ETA: You also made a good point about the type of person who the computer belongs to....you may not want to be in possession of what possibly could be in that computer.
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 6:27:53 PM EDT
[#45]
I never said an officer let me maintain property. I found the laptop in the parking deck at midnight. I took it with me. The following day I called the airport and the police. None of them could give me any solid information other than to bring it to them. I no longer live close to the airport. I'm 3 hours away. I left my contact information with them and told them I would mail it next week. They said they would store it amongst the other hundreds of laptops they have. I hate that since I know it will never get returned to the owner. They told me to mail it in. They didn't want me to send in any info or anything. They said they would handle it.It will end up in the Abyss. If it were me I'd be thankful that someone tried to return it. Regardless of how they went about it.

Pawn shops don't operate off of NCIC/GCIC. They report to the local authorities every day with a report of goods. That system only works if there are serial numbers. Most of the time, if the pawn shop has something that was stolen, it is never found til it is too late if at all.
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 7:07:21 PM EDT
[#46]
IM sent.

Edit:  Can help with serial number tracking.
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 7:13:55 PM EDT
[#47]
I hope you find the owner and give it back to him. I know if it were mine, I'd be giddier than a school girl if some individual took the time to find the owner. TBH I'd rather have an individual "invade my privacy" on my laptop than the police, or any government agency for that matter. Plus despite my name as the owner, I try not to store any sensitive information on my laptop just for this reason. I use my PC tower for all my sensitive information, which is mostly porn and video games lol
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 7:16:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I never said an officer let me maintain property. I found the laptop in the parking deck at midnight. I took it with me. The following day I called the airport and the police. None of them could give me any solid information other than to bring it to them. I no longer live close to the airport. I'm 3 hours away. I left my contact information with them and told them I would mail it next week. They said they would store it amongst the other hundreds of laptops they have. I hate that since I know it will never get returned to the owner. They told me to mail it in. They didn't want me to send in any info or anything. They said they would handle it.It will end up in the Abyss. If it were me I'd be thankful that someone tried to return it. Regardless of how they went about it.

Pawn shops don't operate off of NCIC/GCIC. They report to the local authorities every day with a report of goods. That system only works if there are serial numbers. Most of the time, if the pawn shop has something that was stolen, it is never found til it is too late if at all.

There is a serial number on the laptop correct? You may have talked to lost and found at the airport but I again state that the police are REQUIRED to list the laptop....you can follow up on it to assure they do as the complainant. Write down the info on the computer and continue to give the info to lost and found or post on craigslist or whatever else. If I was the guy that lost it I would have been calling the airport and the local police to file a report for the missing item....and serial numbers for high end laptops are quite easy to find off boxes, receipts, and warranties.

I realize that pawn tickets are collected and ran during the course of a week or other period on NCIC, generally by an investigator that is assigned that duty regularly ( to be more clear, checked through the same system...not ran by the pawn shop itself). Pawn shops are not allowed to take property with elemenated serial numbers (although the crooked ones do)

Just try to get it in and FOLLOW up to make sure it was listed if you desire to get it back to the owner. You don't need the extra crap this could bring by going about it the wrong way...it's happened to people.
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 7:26:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you have your serial numbers? Or was it Jewelry? Did you get a copy of the report and follow ups to see what was done?

It was band equipment stolen from a practice room and I found some of the nonserialized items in a nearby pawn shop the next morning.  I knew the other items were likely to be in the back waiting to be processed.  It was a Saturday morning and when I called the police they said an investigator would be assigned on Monday.  The investigator never did anything with the information and my property was never recovered.  The second incident was when someone stole the stereo out of my truck while it was sitting in my driveway.  The responding officer said there was nothing they could do and they didn't even so much as take a serial number.

If he turns the laptop in, it will sit in a police station from now until the end of time.
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 7:31:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was band equipment stolen from a practice room and I found some of the nonserialized items in a nearby pawn shop the next morning.  I knew the other items were likely to be in the back waiting to be processed.  It was a Saturday morning and when I called the police they said an investigator would be assigned on Monday.  The investigator never did anything with the information and my property was never recovered.  The second incident was when someone stole the stereo out of my truck while it was sitting in my driveway.  The responding officer said there was nothing they could do and they didn't even so much as take a serial number.

If he turns the laptop in, it will sit in a police station from now until the end of time.

Well it seams you were the victim of lazy officers....I have adifferent perspective on it...the only thing ever stolen from me was recovered and returned...a Bersa Thunder .380.

Next time make them take the serial number...it's not up to them. What jsuridiction are we talking about? If they did this they need to be called out....it was wrong.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top