User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 8:21:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've dealt with the police on two seperate occassions when property of mine was stolen.  I was less than impressed.  They didn't pursue jack and, in one case, I even told them which pawn shop had my stuff.  If he turns the laptop over to the police, it will never be returned to it's owner.

Did you have your serial numbers? Or was it Jewelry? Did you get a copy of the report and follow ups to see what was done?

It was band equipment stolen from a practice room and I found some of the nonserialized items in a nearby pawn shop the next morning.  I knew the other items were likely to be in the back waiting to be processed.  It was a Saturday morning and when I called the police they said an investigator would be assigned on Monday.  The investigator never did anything with the information and my property was never recovered.  The second incident was when someone stole the stereo out of my truck while it was sitting in my driveway.  The responding officer said there was nothing they could do and they didn't even so much as take a serial number.

If he turns the laptop in, it will sit in a police station from now until the end of time.

Well it seams you were the victim of lazy officers....I have adifferent perspective on it...the only thing ever stolen from me was recovered and returned...a Bersa Thunder .380.

Next time make them take the serial number...it's not up to them. What jsuridiction are we talking about? If they did this they need to be called out....it was wrong.

One department was Orlando, FL PD and the other was Cobb County PD.
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 8:29:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've dealt with the police on two seperate occassions when property of mine was stolen.  I was less than impressed.  They didn't pursue jack and, in one case, I even told them which pawn shop had my stuff.  If he turns the laptop over to the police, it will never be returned to it's owner.

Did you have your serial numbers? Or was it Jewelry? Did you get a copy of the report and follow ups to see what was done?

It was band equipment stolen from a practice room and I found some of the nonserialized items in a nearby pawn shop the next morning.  I knew the other items were likely to be in the back waiting to be processed.  It was a Saturday morning and when I called the police they said an investigator would be assigned on Monday.  The investigator never did anything with the information and my property was never recovered.  The second incident was when someone stole the stereo out of my truck while it was sitting in my driveway.  The responding officer said there was nothing they could do and they didn't even so much as take a serial number.

If he turns the laptop in, it will sit in a police station from now until the end of time.

Well it seams you were the victim of lazy officers....I have adifferent perspective on it...the only thing ever stolen from me was recovered and returned...a Bersa Thunder .380.

Next time make them take the serial number...it's not up to them. What jsuridiction are we talking about? If they did this they need to be called out....it was wrong.

Cobb got my gun back
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 4:36:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cobb got my gun back

don't you work for cobb pd also or is it marietta pd?
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 11:13:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cobb got my gun back

don't you work for cobb pd also or is it marietta pd?

Neither anymore
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 1:00:18 PM EDT
[#5]
00bullit you are doing the right thing.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 1:18:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 1:27:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
00bullit's heart and intentions are in the right place.  I applaud Tod for going the extra mile on this.  

To the guys trying to warn him that his actions might get him in trouble, I know your intentions are good as well.  Everyone just trying to help each other.  Just please try to keep thing nice and professional, okay?  

Mark

I agree.

I'm glad someone decided to do the right thing and get involved versus the majority of people that just walk away and leave things to others to take care of.  

If I lost something or had it stolen, I would appreciate the effort someone put in trying to get the item back to me.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 1:38:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
00bullit's heart and intentions are in the right place.  I applaud Tod for going the extra mile on this.  

To the guys trying to warn him that his actions might get him in trouble, I know your intentions are good as well.  Everyone just trying to help each other.  Just please try to keep thing nice and professional, okay?  

Mark

Well said Book and 00bullit did the right thing because I know the L&F guys at the airport not gonna do anything to return the lap top to the owner. I think the airport lose and found department will auction all the unclaim items along with lost baggages.
   A few months ago I dropped my cell phone at Plubix parking lot. A gentleman found it and looked in the "Phone book", found my wife# and call her. My wife called me at work and told me about where about of my phone. It was a relief feeling because of all the contact # in the phone,not the value of the phone ifself.

Link Posted: 6/19/2011 1:38:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Some of you are making me sick.

I had a gun stolen. The gun was recovered and I was called about it. They REFUSED to return it to me without the original bill of sale. Never mind I had the serial number, original box, and a police report.

I would have had to sue the ATF to get my property back.

The original dealer was out of business. The ATF had the original paperwork that is how they called me about my gun. Yet I still couldn't get it back.

I have NO faith in any gov agency returning my property.

I'm glad it worked out for some in here. Although it seems they work for similar agency's and got "professional courtesy" from the sound of it.

00bullitt keep up the good work.

I can crack it like an egg if you need it.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 2:21:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I had a gun stolen. The gun was recovered and I was called about it. They REFUSED to return it to me without the original bill of sale. Never mind I had the serial number, original box, and a police report.

The original dealer was out of business. The ATF had the original paperwork that is how they called me about my gun. Yet I still couldn't get it back.

I'm glad it worked out for some in here. Although it seems they work for similar agency's and got "professional courtesy" from the sound of it.

That is some serious bull right there...

edit for language...sorry
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 2:22:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is some serious bull shit right there...

And it's one hundred percent true.

I ended up not getting my gun back and replacing it. Pistol was only worth 500 bucks and it was going to cost a LOT more to get it back.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 2:33:34 PM EDT
[#12]
I would have been livid talking to that agent or person. The really sad thing is that they probably destroyed it.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 2:43:28 PM EDT
[#13]
It's a bad day in this country when you risk legal repercussions in order to do the right thing.  It speaks volums that bullit is willing to do right despite that fact.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 5:14:55 PM EDT
[#14]
There is some irony in all of this. Just before my plane landed I knocked my Surefire Backup out of my pocket as I was buckling my lap belt as we were preparing to descend. I knew where it fell and could see where it was. I was going to wait until we landed and unbuckle and retrieve it.

Upon the plane touching down, Brakes and reverse thruster was applied. So off went my little Surefire down the isle. Nobody bothered to pick it up and return it or hand it off to a stewardess. Instead I'm sure someone slid it in their pocket and disembarqued the plane. I stayed behind to search for it hoping that it was still on the floor. I crawled on my belly from the rear of the plane to the front. It was gone. I filed a lost and found claim with Delta. Do I think that I will get it back. Most likely not. I can only hope that someone would try.

I believe in Kharma. I can easily put myself in the shoes of the person who lost their laptop, I'm just not sure why it matters if I try and return it or if it goes to sit in a property locker at the local police station where no one tries to return it but instead waits for it to maybe be found.

I'm also still confused as to how it could be construed as theft when all I am trying to do is get it returned to its rightful owner.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 5:21:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Bullitt, don't sweat all the negative BS, you're doing the right thing.

Get the man's laptop back to him. No jury will find you at fault for trying to help someone recover their property.

Link Posted: 6/19/2011 5:28:50 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Bullitt, don't sweat all the negative BS, you're doing the right thing.

Get the man's laptop back to him. No jury will find you at fault for trying to help someone recover their property.

I agree.

Also...that serial thing calling HP sounded right.

I found a credit card, called the bank. They wouldn't give me the info for the owner...but gave the owner my info to call me.

Link Posted: 6/19/2011 5:37:47 PM EDT
[#17]
I commend you on trying to be a good person.  But I would not try to "crack" the HD or windows partition.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 5:42:01 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm on the phone with HP right now. They are being rather helpful and I believe I will be able to get this thing returned to the rightful owner.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 6:26:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm on the phone with HP right now. They are being rather helpful and I believe I will be able to get this thing returned to the rightful owner.

God bless you, if you are on the phone with HP now you are probably talking with someone in India. I doubt I would have the patience to put in this much effort to get my own computer back.

I left my blackberry on a Delta flight a couple years ago. I immediately reported it to Delta lost and found and expected them to do 2 things; jack and sh&^. I wasn't disappointed. I knew my only hope was having a good samaritan but in a little effort to return it. That never happened.

Good luck getting the computer returned to the owner! You are doing the right thing.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 7:36:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That would be great, no doubt I think your intentions are right.....

I only interjected with advice based on things that HAVE happened to people in the same situation....not that may happen. Heck...I'd give you a reward for the work if it was me, BUT.....there are those types of people out there (which cannot be denied) that would go ape-shit ballistic if you hacked their computer...people who have a more rosey perception of the police then most people here....and would freak out on you....it happens. Only trying to give a little perspective on the fact that a gamble is a gamble...even if you believe you have the odds that the person is of the same mindset and rational as you or other normal thinking persons.

Good luck on getting it back.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 7:21:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Wow. I hate to say it but a few of you are acting like some bitches. Just shut up and let the man do what he thinks is right. It's not like he's trying to keep the laptop or something.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 11:15:26 AM EDT
[#22]
edit: nvm

link
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 11:26:57 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

There is some irony in all of this. Just before my plane landed I knocked my Surefire Backup out of my pocket as I was buckling my lap belt as we were preparing to descend. I knew where it fell and could see where it was. I was going to wait until we landed and unbuckle and retrieve it.

Upon the plane touching down, Brakes and reverse thruster was applied. So off went my little Surefire down the isle. Nobody bothered to pick it up and return it or hand it off to a stewardess. Instead I'm sure someone slid it in their pocket and disembarqued the plane. I stayed behind to search for it hoping that it was still on the floor. I crawled on my belly from the rear of the plane to the front. It was gone. I filed a lost and found claim with Delta. Do I think that I will get it back. Most likely not. I can only hope that someone would try.

I believe in Kharma. I can easily put myself in the shoes of the person who lost their laptop, I'm just not sure why it matters if I try and return it or if it goes to sit in a property locker at the local police station where no one tries to return it but instead waits for it to maybe be found.

I'm also still confused as to how it could be construed as theft when all I am trying to do is get it returned to its rightful owner.

You're doing the right thing. No good deed goes unpunished. Especially if you post about it on arfcom.

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 12:05:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Wow. I hate to say it but a few of you are acting like some bitches. Just shut up and let the man do what he thinks is right. It's not like he's trying to keep the laptop or something.

I hope a few of you realize that I'm not saying he's being a "bad guy" trying to "steal" that laptop.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 1:33:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hope a few of you realize that I'm not saying he's being a "bad guy" trying to "steal" that laptop.

I don't think anyone feels that you were saying that, I'm sure you felt you were contributing what you thought was in his best interest.

Right or wrong, we all voiced our opinions, as we all certainly have the right to. It's all good, we are all still brothers here.

Again, let's not sweat the small stuff.

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 1:37:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got that, but then again I have met you so I guess I looked a little harder.  that is the problem with the interweb. it's impossible to get meaning across writing from a stranger..
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 3:51:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Good news!

After speaking with HP last night, they were able to share my information with the owner and Dave contacted me this evening.

He will be coming by tomorrow to pick it up. He was very greatful.

Thank you to those of you that provided assistance via PM's.

KNCook......your intentions may have been meant in the best way. But since you have no face on the internet,my suggestion is to work on your delivery.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 4:00:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Great news!

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 4:03:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is the internet.  It is serious business.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 4:07:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Good on you bullitt. You did the right thing and did it well.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 4:08:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Outstanding.

Monk
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 4:17:32 PM EDT
[#32]
as long as he doesn't show up with the sheriff then it all worked out good!  
hopoefully he will show up with a big reward!  then you can drop the price of that DD upper you got in the EE and sell it to me!!!!
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 4:38:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Great news. I'm sure he was one very happy guy.

Glad all worked out well.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 4:44:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Good job on getting it back....

what can I say....it's the internet
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:29:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:47:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Ya know, it is threads like this that make me proud of this little group of ours.  We really are like a family.  We'll sometimes get in a spat or whatever but we get over it.  In the end we're all trying to help each other.

Very glad this worked out this way, Tod.  Good for you!

Mark

+1000!!!
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 7:35:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Ya know, it is threads like this that make me proud of this little group of ours.  We really are like a family.  We'll sometimes get in a spat or whatever but we get over it.  In the end we're all trying to help each other.

Mark

F*ck you!

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 10:40:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mark

F*ck you!

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 10:46:08 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mark

F*ck you!

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 11:58:19 AM EDT
[#40]
Great news.

Reminds me that I need to back-up my laptop, and put some identification on it (First name and cell phone only).
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 12:18:32 PM EDT
[#41]
It is now returned to the rightful owner.

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 12:39:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Right on.

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 1:51:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Did you ask him to put in the password to make sure it was his? After all he could have sold it to someone else and was just getting a freebee from ya!!!!!  
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 4:45:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

did he give you a reward?
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 5:29:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Nice work dude! Most people would have walked right by it and left it there....or kept it.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 6:19:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does it matter?
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 5:48:41 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does it matter?

kind of yes.  I don't want to know what it was just if they gave a reward or not.  Todd went well out of his way and took considereable amount of time (not to mention putting up with this thread) for a very expensive item to do the right thing.  I have returned some cells and even a wallet before.  only one time was the person even very greatful.  but no rewards.  that is not why I did it but I think is says something about the people any more when they don't reward you for your time any more.  when I was like 6-7 I lost a pocket knife at church.  it was found and returned to me.  my grandfather made sure I knew how important it was to repay the person for their time.

a person is due the fruits of their labor.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 7:05:01 AM EDT
[#48]
The owner of the laptop was an Arby's Franchise owner. He was extremely grateful. And he did hand me an Arby's gift card and told me lunch was on him.

I was pleased that he was grateful. Never expected any reward.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 7:06:29 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

The owner of the laptop was an Arby's Franchise owner. He was extremely grateful. And he did hand me an Arby's gift card and told me lunch was on him.

Good for you. Not sure why people expected you to want something from him.

Link Posted: 6/22/2011 7:36:29 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

free jamocha shakes for life is what I would have demanded if I found out he owned an Arbys...and curly fries! With arbys sauce!

wooohhh im getting hot for arbys now.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top