Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2017 12:58:19 AM EDT
The last time I was in KC I had some horrible brisket but I can't remember the name of the place.  I am willing to give you guys another shot.

We are staying in Lee's Summit but will be in KC as well.  I want some tender, melt in your mouth brisket that comes with NO sauce pre applied.

Where should I go to find it?

Eta:  I just found the place I ate last time.  B B's Lawnside BBQ.  Absolutely horrible in that the meat had zero flavor.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 1:48:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Plowboys is very close to Lees Summit. They were voted the nations best burnt end sandwich. It really is extremely good. They are on 7 hwy in Blue Springs.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 2:10:02 AM EDT
[#2]
In before someone mentions that god awful place Oklahoma Joe's or Joe's KC (whatever it's called this week) Smokin Guns, Jack Stack, Wabash, Squeal Like a Pig (SLAPS for short) Q39 (I've only had their food catered, wasn't that impressed) hell even a chain place like Smokehouse or Arthur Bryant's will have good brisket. Smokin Guns is my go to. Best Burnt Ends in town!
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 6:38:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Joe's KC is god awful? I ain't never seen a line of people going out the door and wrapped halfway around the building at Smokin' Guns, just sayin'.

My favorite BBQ joint in town is LC's, but I'll fuck up a Z Man sandwich and fries from OK Joe's any day of the week.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 8:06:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Jack stack, browbecks, and Joe's kc are all good.  I do think q39 does top them all though now.

Lee's summit does have a jack stack now btw
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 12:00:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Go to Austin.

I haven't had really good brisket here.  When you have to drown it in sauce, it isn't good.
Yeah, I am in a shitty mood and trolling right now.

sorry.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 1:01:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Ok, between this thread and the other thread who wants to push the Jay hawker back across the line
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 2:13:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ok, between this thread and the other thread who wants to push the Jay hawker back across the line
View Quote

Next thing you'll be wanting to get rid of the Illinoisian who's wanting to move to MO.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 2:24:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Next thing you'll be wanting to get rid of the Illinoisian who's wanting to move to MO.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Naw, just the Jay hawkers
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 5:21:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 5:27:26 PM EDT
[#10]
We are getting settled into the hotel and then will be heading out for dinner.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will report back on if you have succeeded.

I have been to Austin several times.  The best brisket I have had is STILL in St. Charles.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 6:28:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Joe's KC is god awful? I ain't never seen a line of people going out the door and wrapped halfway around the building at Smokin' Guns, just sayin'.

My favorite BBQ joint in town is LC's, but I'll fuck up a Z Man sandwich and fries from OK Joe's any day of the week.
View Quote

Smokin Guns actually has seating whereas Joe's is a gas station that seats 2 midgets
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 6:30:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

We don't have the border war any more, this is how we have to conduct our rivalry now-a-days.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 7:17:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 8:36:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Big Daddy's sounds like a place I will have to make a point of trying.

My go to brisket joint is Big Woody's BBQ.  Most tender, melt in your mouth beef I have ever had.

KC has let me down again.  We went to a joint close to the hotel so we could get back for the kids to swim.  The Filling Station is a cool joint but the beef I suspect was nothing more than a roast sliced thin.  It was very moist but lacked on flavor.

I will try one more BBQ joint before we leave town Friday.  I don't think I can talk the wife into BBQ three nights in a row.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 8:58:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Ya filling station isn't good, sorry we didn't warn you first.  No idea how that place stays open....
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 8:59:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

We don't have the border war any more, this is how we have to conduct our rivalry now-a-days.
View Quote

Ya and mizzou is completely falling apart
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 9:13:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Ya filling station isn't good, sorry we didn't warn you first.  No idea how that place stays open....
View Quote

Haha, I don't blame you guys since I went off the reservation and picked a random place.

Is Summit any good?
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 9:15:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Haha, I don't blame you guys since I went off the reservation and picked a random place.

Is Summit any good?
View Quote

No.  Go to jack stack in summit woods
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 9:30:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Ya and mizzou is completely falling apart
View Quote

We at least have our baseball team for now. 15-1 last I checked. They lost the first game of the year, and haven't lost since. We also won an individual championship in Cross Country this year and our wrestling team isn't doing too bad either.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 10:49:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 10:57:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Big Daddy's sounds like a place I will have to make a point of trying.

My go to brisket joint is Big Woody's BBQ.  Most tender, melt in your mouth beef I have ever had.

KC has let me down again.  We went to a joint close to the hotel so we could get back for the kids to swim.  The Filling Station is a cool joint but the beef I suspect was nothing more than a roast sliced thin.  It was very moist but lacked on flavor.

I will try one more BBQ joint before we leave town Friday.  I don't think I can talk the wife into BBQ three nights in a row.
View Quote

Never even heard of The Filling Station. I suspect there's a good reason for that. KC didn't let you down, you chose poorly and let yourself down.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 11:16:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Go for burnt ends at Smokin Guns or Brobecks.... Jack Stacks are ok compared to them.... Don't do Arthur Bryant's burnt ends as they are like old school Bbq beef.....stewed on Bbq sauce
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 8:50:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Never even heard of The Filling Station. I suspect there's a good reason for that. KC didn't let you down, you chose poorly and let yourself down.
View Quote
It's almost like your sabotaging your BBQ experience, so your favorite place stays your favorite place. We named almost a dozen places and you chose a place no one even mentioned
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 9:15:14 PM EDT
[#24]
We were all set to go to Jack Stacks until I pulled up the menu.  A bit too pricey for my taste.  

We decided to go to Plowboys.

My wife had a ham sandwich, daughter got chicken, son got ribs.

They all liked what they had.

My brisket wasn't bad, but it wasn't even in the same league as what I am used to.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 9:18:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It's almost like your sabotaging your BBQ experience, so your favorite place stays your favorite place. We named almost a dozen places and you chose a place no one even mentioned
View Quote
Ummm no.  As I said, we decided to just go to a random place that was close to the hotel.  Sometimes what I want to do doesn't always work out with two kids and a prego wife.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 11:10:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
We were all set to go to Jack Stacks until I pulled up the menu.  A bit too pricey for my taste.  

We decided to go to Plowboys.

My wife had a ham sandwich, daughter got chicken, son got ribs.

They all liked what they had.

My brisket wasn't bad, but it wasn't even in the same league as what I am used to.
View Quote
What are you used to, then?

Having been to both Jack Stack and Plowboy's many times, their prices for what you ordered are pretty close to one another.  Jack Stack has been extremely consistent across all their locations for me.  They may not be my favorite for each particular category, but they're near the top and I always get the quality I'm expecting.  Their beans are by far my favorite of any BBQ place.  Some of the other places are like they dumped Bush's baked beans into a bowl and threw in some meat trimmings...I don't get it.  

IMO the sliced brisket is not Plowboy's forte...their burnt ends are pretty good but the pulled pork is where they shine.  I've had some good brisket there, but other times it seemed dried out or old or something so it's been hit or miss.

Q39 is my go-to place.  Their prices are probably in line with Jack Stack.  But their burnt ends - heavenly.  Sliced beef is very good as well.

The past few times I've been to Joe's KC / OK Joe's recently, I've gotten my go-to Z-man and the beef was on the dry side...looked like it might have even been reheated.  Kind of disappointing.  I'm very picky when it comes to BBQ.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 11:25:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
DON'T go to Dickey's for brisket anything.
View Quote
Fixed it for you.

Being Kansas City has so many actually good restaurants, I don't even know how Dickey's has so many locations across the metro.  Shite BBQ.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 12:15:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Top Top