Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/10/2005 9:28:52 AM EDT
I have had some requests to organize the next one of these informal gatherings.  This will be the third one and we have had increasing numbers each time, I believe the number was 6 for the last one.

The other two were at Sherborne WMA and that seemed to work out.  If someone has another alternate location, speak up.

As far as times go, the afternoon of Oct. 29 or anytime the following weekend of Nov 5 & 6 would be good for me.

Please post your interest and time preference.  I will email all the 14 people I have on my list to
check out this thread.   If your are not on my list ( I would have contacted you ) are would like to come, you are more than welcome.  Just email or IM me your info so I can add you to the list.
All information is forwarded to local, state, and federal authorities and your high school guidance counselor  

Hopefully, everyone has had time to clean up from the hurricanes and is ready to let off some steam.  

PARTICIPATION AS OF 10/28/05:

A_free_man...........No
BigAL.....................YES
Thebaldavenger.....No
GlockGuru..............
Calvaryjim..............YES
Skiandshoot............No
Cajunmojo...............YES
Zack3g...................No
Szurgot...................YES
Huggybro................
LA_confederate......No
Professorchaos.......No
TooTall....................
Buckmaw................YES
Voncoz..................
Brian_45...............YES
Pulpsmack............

Link Posted: 10/10/2005 1:52:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Put me on the list as a maybe, as always. I'm offshore right now, and might be in around then, but I have no idea for sure yet.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 1:56:33 PM EDT
[#2]

Put me down for a probable. Will put it on the calendar.

Currently scheduled to be out of town for a poker tournament but I think that is going to be postponed.

Also, FYI that is an LSU Game day.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 5:28:17 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Also, FYI that is an LSU Game day.

That is why I need some SMART input.  I did not think of that.
Is it a day or night game?  Sunday Oct. 30th is also a option for me,
but it is my birthday and anyone who attends must bring a present.

I personally dont have tickets for that game so I wouldnt mind missing it if televised.
and we could always bring a radio to keep up with the score.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 5:35:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Put me down also.  I will pencil it in and "knock on wood" hopefully will have time.

Link Posted: 10/10/2005 6:42:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Where is Sherborne WMA located?
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 6:54:49 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Where is Sherborne WMA located?

Near Krotz Springs, LA about an hour from Baton Rouge.

See HERE for more complete directions from the last shoot.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 9:39:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Put me in as a likely. As my schedule sits today, I'd be able to make it. But my schedule changes quite a bit. It would be great if we could come up with a different spot for this next shoot. Being on a weekend and in the middle of hunting season, the range will be very busy.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 10:36:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Put me in as a likely. As my schedule sits today, I'd be able to make it. But my schedule changes quite a bit. It would be great if we could come up with a different spot for this next shoot. Being on a weekend and in the middle of hunting season, the range will be very busy.

Private land or a gravel pit somewhere would be awesome. But, so far my search for private land to shoot on has come up with nothing.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 5:13:52 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Paul has suggested a range in Thibodeaux (sp).  It costs twenty bucks and is about the same length of ride from BR.  I dont know how far from Lafayette.  His screen name is "A_free_man" if you want further info about it.

I will go to either, how 'bout the rest of you?
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 6:21:56 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Paul has suggested a range in Thibodeaux (sp).  It costs twenty bucks and is about the same length of ride from BR.  I dont know how far from Lafayette.  His screen name is "A_free_man" if you want further info about it.

FYI, the Louisiana Gator Classic match (www.lagator.org) is going to be at the Thibodaux range on the 28th, 29th.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 7:13:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Well, they just gonna have to move over and make some room then, arent they!

I vote to have it at CajunMojo's house, and his old lady can make us sammiches.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:17:17 AM EDT
[#12]

LSU plays University of North Texas at 7pm in Tiger Stadium. The game won't be sold out, not shown on television but on tiger vision.

If the shoot is sometime in the am? (not sure what time you guys shot last time) it shouldn't be too bad.

On Sunday the 30th, Saints play the Dolphins in Tiger stadium at 3pm (I am going to that game, hopefully).

Link Posted: 10/11/2005 9:13:18 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Well, they just gonna have to move over and make some room then, arent they!

I vote to have it at CajunMojo's house, and his old lady can make us sammiches.  

+1 on the sammiches. We can have it at my house as long as all we shoot are BB guns.

I hate living inside city limits.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 12:07:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Put me down as a probable. Won't know for sure till the date gets closer.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 12:18:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Put me in as another probable.  Depends on when/where.  Please add me to the email list, too.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 1:14:22 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

FYI, the Louisiana Gator Classic match (www.lagator.org) is going to be at the Thibodaux range on the 28th, 29th.

Looks like we couldnt have it there but here is the website in case anyone cares.
www.southernshootingcenter.com/
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 6:53:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Participation added to original post.  Alot of maybe's and probably's, hopefully those will turn to Yes when at time and date are determined.

I vote for afternoon of Oct. 29th or 30th, say around 2:00 (or earlier) since it getting darker earlier.

Make your preference known so we can pick a definite time.

Also,  I have some other items dealing with the shoot:

1)  If anyone has a FAL, I would sure like to shoot one.  So, if you dont mind bringing it along.

2)  I would like to trade a 20 round teflon coated D&H marked magazine for a 30 round USGI.
     Mine is in primo shape and only fired for function test a couple of times, would like the trade
     to be in comparable shape.  Just bring it to the shoot if interested.

3)  Instead of static shooting the whole time we are there, I was thinking of doing a shooting drill
     for competition.  It would consist of multiple shooting positions at a silhoutte target in a timed
     situation with mag changes and such.  I havent put too much thought into it, but I will come up
     with a senario if there is interest.  

Link Posted: 10/14/2005 10:41:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Is it still going to be at the Sherborne WMA?
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 11:41:01 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Is it still going to be at the Sherborne WMA?

No one else has suggested another place that is available.  I would love someone to offer
some private land that we could do whatever we wanted.
Link Posted: 10/18/2005 7:50:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Sherborne sounds good.  Hopefully, I can make it this time.
Link Posted: 10/20/2005 4:37:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Is this on for the 29th???

Need to schedule off of work...
Link Posted: 10/20/2005 8:26:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Still looks as if I'll make it for the 29th.
Link Posted: 10/21/2005 7:22:28 AM EDT
[#23]
sorry man.....i'm not going to be able to make it (working weekends now)
Link Posted: 10/21/2005 9:01:49 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Also,  I have some other items dealing with the shoot:

1)  If anyone has a FAL, I would sure like to shoot one.  So, if you dont mind bringing it along.

2)  I would like to trade a 20 round teflon coated D&H marked magazine for a 30 round USGI.
     Mine is in primo shape and only fired for function test a couple of times, would like the trade
     to be in comparable shape.  Just bring it to the shoot if interested.

3)  Instead of static shooting the whole time we are there, I was thinking of doing a shooting drill
     for competition.  It would consist of multiple shooting positions at a silhoutte target in a timed
     situation with mag changes and such.  I havent put too much thought into it, but I will come up
     with a senario if there is interest.  

I quoted myself!  Please address these items above also, when stating time preference and participation.  Thanks.

Szurgot
SHOOT Logistics
Link Posted: 10/21/2005 4:17:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Anything after 11am or so is fine by me.
Link Posted: 10/21/2005 6:33:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Any update???  Is it this weekend or next?
Link Posted: 10/21/2005 6:45:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Next weekend, if I'm not mistaken.
Link Posted: 10/22/2005 5:03:15 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Saturday, Oct. 29th. Early afternoon.  I am going to give it through the weekend for
you guys to make your time preference known, and then I will call it.  I have about 18
people on the list, but half are AWOL.  Check first post in this thread for participation
to date.
Link Posted: 10/22/2005 4:26:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Anytime works fine for me. The weather is getting nice now too. Perfect for a shoot.

I also like the idea of adding something other than static shooting as well. Though I'm not sure how that will work if it's crowded with a lot of hunters there.
Link Posted: 10/22/2005 5:32:32 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Anytime works fine for me. The weather is getting nice now too. Perfect for a shoot.

I also like the idea of adding something other than static shooting as well. Though I'm not sure how that will work if it's crowded with a lot of hunters there.

weekend... hunting season... You can be sure it will be.
Link Posted: 10/23/2005 6:59:50 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Saturday, Oct. 29th. Early afternoon.  I am going to give it through the weekend for
you guys to make your time preference known, and then I will call it.  I have about 18
people on the list, but half are AWOL.  Check first post in this thread for participation
to date.

I am 90% sure that I will be able to make that.  I will probably bring along my brother and possibly one other guy.

Since I don't have an AR yet, I will only be bringing my Kimber and a crap load of ammo for anyone who wants to shoot it.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2005 7:27:36 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

to date.

I am 90% sure that I will be able to make that.  I will probably bring along my brother and possibly one other guy.

Since I don't have an AR yet, I will only be bringing my Kimber and a crap load of ammo for anyone who wants to shoot it.  

Bring some money, I'll sell you my AR
(been wanting an A3)
Link Posted: 10/23/2005 7:34:35 AM EDT
[#33]

Glad to see you will most likely make it on Saturday.  I know you have mentioned not having an AR of your own before, and that is fine.  Do your brother and friend have one?  The reason I ask is, although most people dont mind letting people shoot their guns some, they dont necessarily want to be lending them out for the afternoon.  It wouldnt be good to show up with 3 guys and one pistol for a AR-15 shoot.  I dont want to discourage anyone from coming, this is a public range open to anyone, and we like to encourage new black rifle owners, but within reason, if you get my meaning.

If you or your friends do not have a hunting license or a non-consumptive WMA card , you should get one before Saturday.  They are 5 bucks at walmart, and although the range is free, you are "required" to have one, althought they have never checked me to date.  Always a first time though!
Link Posted: 10/23/2005 9:14:51 AM EDT
[#34]
This is what I was thinking of for our shooting drill for competition.  Feel free to comment and critic
it , especially those who have had some experience in this type thing, BIGAL I know for one.

Start prone 5 round magazine out of magwell.
At clock start, load mag squeeze off 5 well aimed rounds at silhouete.
Drop mag, go to knee, load new 5 round mag.
Squeeze off 5 well aimed rounds at silhouete.
Drop mag, go to standing, load new 5 round mag.

Transition from rifle to pistol.

Start from standing, load 5 round mag into pistol
Drop mag, go to knee, load new pistol mag.
Drop mag, go to prone, load new mag
Time stops when last 5 rounds are fired and mag is ejected from pistol.

I call it the "UP AND DOWN" drill for obvious reasons.

Now in order to do this, at least the entire sequence, several things need to occur:
We all need to have at least 3 mags each for rifle and pistol.  Shouldnt be a problem.
If the range is really crowded, which is a definite possiblity, then the pistol portion may
need to be removed, or done separetely at the pistol range.  

I tried to set it up where it was as safe as possible, only doing mag changes after changing
positions and such, and that way the range official will hopefully not have a problem with it.

The winner will be determined by the most accurate shot placement within a agreed upon time
frame.  The target can be a full silhouette or smaller agreed upon target at 25 or 50 yards.
If we want full sil. targets, I can get some if participants kick in a buck to help pay, and we can
do this for the pride of being the best shot, or kick in a buck and winner takes all, just to make
it more interesting.

Mag changes could be done from owner selected web gear or from just having it handy.  The "having it handy" way would most likely be faster, but what ever is agreed upon.  I plan
to bring some carpet samples to put on the ground for the prone portions.

Also, to make it realistic, I have contracted a "cleaner" from the mob to sit in the tree line with
a sniper rifle and put some rounds just over your head.  So dont make any sudden movements, this
guy came cheap, but he only has one eye.

Link Posted: 10/23/2005 10:03:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Sounds pretty good. It would really help if someone had a shot timer to keep track of times.

Also, I remember a pdf posted a while back that linked to the USMC MEU qual course. It had descriptions and par times (like 2 to the head from standing in 5 secs at 50 yds). It was kinda like the course you specified but split into segments to make it simpler. There were a few segments that required movement but we could just skip those. I planned on trying it out but haven't been able to with the hurricane mumbo jumbo. Like an idiot I didn't bookmark the page. I did print it out though. Now I just need to find it when I get home from work.
Link Posted: 10/24/2005 9:46:08 AM EDT
[#36]
If someone has a stop watch they can bring, that would be great.

I just got back from Hebert guns and got some full silhouettes for the drill.
You can bring your own or a dollar will get one from me, I bought a pack of 10
and I will need at least one.

FYI,  hebert's has a few 500 rnd cases of boxed xm193 left.  I just bought one for 135.  Not the best price, but it was local, boxed, and not the PD stuff.  That combo is hard to find around here.

I consider xm193 "good" stuff so I will be storing it, and much to to CajunMojo's dismay, I
will be shooting WOLF this time, and probably only this time.  I wanted to try it out to see
if my RRA liked it or not.  I still wont be using this on a regular basis, but wanted to know if I
could use it if I had to.  I know, safe queen syndrome.
Link Posted: 10/27/2005 5:22:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Okay, I am calling the time.

This shoot will take place at 1:00 pm on Saturday October 29th at Sherbourne WMA.

I hope everyone can make it, and please continue to let me know either way.  Participation
as of now is noted in the first post of this thread.  Also, let me know your thoughts on the
shooting drill, or if interested in one at all.

Link Posted: 10/27/2005 10:30:45 AM EDT
[#38]
1:00 sounds good to me.
Link Posted: 10/27/2005 11:43:04 AM EDT
[#39]
I will be there.
Link Posted: 10/28/2005 5:35:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Looks like we will have at least 6, possibly 8 for this one.  Getting better every time.

For anyone who needs directions see here for the thread from the previous SHOOT.  It has directions
from both BR and Lafayette and other range information.
Link Posted: 10/28/2005 11:28:38 PM EDT
[#41]
I don't think I'm gonna be able to make this one, I'm still offshore. :/
Link Posted: 10/29/2005 7:25:12 AM EDT
[#42]
Sorry, Have to cancel at the last minute. Insurance ajuster FINALLY showing up today.
Link Posted: 10/29/2005 7:53:47 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Sorry, Have to cancel at the last minute. Insurance ajuster FINALLY showing up today.

You are going to break your perfect attendance record.  Did he give you hours like the cable guy,
somewhere between 8 am and 10 pm?
Link Posted: 10/29/2005 2:22:25 PM EDT
[#44]
He said 3 and showed up around 2... I'm just glad they finally came and got the process started, now maybe in a few weeks I can put my name on a long list of people needing a new roof.

So fill me in, what did I miss?
Link Posted: 10/31/2005 9:25:39 AM EDT
[#45]
For those who could not make it, or had a lame excuse like CajunMojo, we had 5 show up for this one.  A respectable number, tied for the record, and still had 2 no shows who RSVP'd yes.

All went well.  Weather was great, and unfortunetly for Mojo, the Swedish bikini team did show up!

We tried out a new shooting drill, outline below with pictures for those who dont read very well

Start prone 5 round magazine out of magwell.
At clock start, load mag squeeze off 5 well aimed rounds at silhouete.
Drop mag, go to knee, load new 5 round mag.
Drop mag, go to standing, load new 5 round mag.

Transition from rifle to pistol.

Start from standing, load 5 round mag into pistol
Drop mag, go to knee, load new pistol mag.
Drop mag, go to prone, load new mag
Time stops when last 5 rounds are fired and mag is ejected from pistol.

I call it the "UP AND DOWN" drill for obvious reasons.

BigAL with his Bushmaster M-forgery

CalvaryJim with his south paw Stag

Brians_45 with a RRA entry tactical

Szurgot with a Browning 9mm High Power

TheMaddMan with a Glock .40 (He was the only one professional enough in the group to use it)

CalvaryJim won the competition and was presented with a cheesy homemade trophy for his shooting skills. I guess the army taught him how to shoot straight even if he does it backwards.
He has the "honor" of coming up with the next senario and will pass the trophy to its winner.

See ya at the next one, unless you are Buckmaw, who always says he is coming but never does
Link Posted: 10/31/2005 10:14:32 AM EDT
[#46]
Damn I look tactical.
Link Posted: 10/31/2005 10:29:52 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Damn I look tactical.

You look UBER-TACTICAL.  Even more so in this pic.

But not anymore than me in this one.

Link Posted: 10/31/2005 7:54:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Thanks for posting the pictures!

Where can I get some of those tactical shooting mats?
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 5:17:31 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Thanks for posting the pictures!

Where can I get some of those tactical shooting mats?

Give Bryans_45 the credit for the pictures.  The mats can be had at Jimbo's carpet world,
ask for the suburban camouflage pattern.  Tell him I sent you, he will give you a good deal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top