Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2014 9:29:41 PM EDT
Did a search and couldn't find anything on ARFCOM.  Considering taking the carbine courses and was wondering if anyone has any experience with them or heard anything good or bad.  My training has been military so I don't have any experience with the civilian side of training and wondering how they stack up.  It's a relatively short drive from home so that's why they've come to mind.  Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 1:29:08 AM EDT
[#1]
A couple buddies and I were going to take a 2 day pistol class in March but came to the conclusion that we didn't want to have near $700 each invested in a weekend class and freeze our asses off in the process. We took a class more local to us 2 weekends ago and had a good time. I have followed Cory Jackson for a couple years on youtube but I cant speak to how enjoyable and instructive they might be. If you do take a class come back and  let us know how it goes as we will probably take one some time this year.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:55:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A couple buddies and I were going to take a 2 day pistol class in March but came to the conclusion that we didn't want to have near $700 each invested in a weekend class and freeze our asses off in the process. We took a class more local to us 2 weekends ago and had a good time. I have followed Cory Jackson for a couple years on youtube but I cant speak to how enjoyable and instructive they might be. If you do take a class come back and  let us know how it goes as we will probably take one some time this year.
View Quote

Who's class did you end up taking and where was it located?
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 10:49:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok, so I took tactical carbine 1 and 2 back to back.  Never attended a civilian course so didn't know what to expect.  Thought the training was great.  Learned quite a few new things as far as movement, technique, and team tactics.  Different from what I learned in the military and reinforced safety and fundamentals of firearms handling and manipulation.  It was recommended that you take carbine 1 and then return at a later date for carbine 2.  The rationale is that you practice what you learned in 1 and become more proficient in it before attending 2.  It makes sense as two built on what you learned in 1 and would have made the movements and teamwork much smoother.

Hot as balls days 1 through 3 and then pouring down rain on day 4.  Equipment used was a leg rig (Costa) with tacos and a Raven holster.  Ran through about 1,000 rounds of 5.56 for each course (2,000 total).  Not sure how much pistol ammo I went through but if it was 200 rounds combined for both courses combined I'd be surprised.  Tried to use a couple of different chest rigs but quite honestly, it was pretty hot out and the leg rig worked just fine.  Now some of you might say "train the way you fight so suck it up, Nancy."  but, I've been down range a few times wearing a MTV in sweltering heat and I didn't feel the need to do that here   Also, I don't think I'd be running and gunning down my neighborhood in full kit.  Four rifle and a few pistol mags should do.
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 2:58:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Ok, so I took tactical carbine 1 and 2 back to back.  Never attended a civilian course so didn't know what to expect.  Thought the training was great.  Learned quite a few new things as far as movement, technique, and team tactics.  Different from what I learned in the military and reinforced safety and fundamentals of firearms handling and manipulation.  It was recommended that you take carbine 1 and then return at a later date for carbine 2.  The rationale is that you practice what you learned in 1 and become more proficient in it before attending 2.  It makes sense as two built on what you learned in 1 and would have made the movements and teamwork much smoother.

Hot as balls days 1 through 3 and then pouring down rain on day 4.  Equipment used was a leg rig (Costa) with tacos and a Raven holster.  Ran through about 1,000 rounds of 5.56 for each course (2,000 total).  Not sure how much pistol ammo I went through but if it was 200 rounds combined for both courses combined I'd be surprised.  Tried to use a couple of different chest rigs but quite honestly, it was pretty hot out and the leg rig worked just fine.  Now some of you might say "train the way you fight so suck it up, Nancy."  but, I've been down range a few times wearing a MTV in sweltering heat and I didn't feel the need to do that here   Also, I don't think I'd be running and gunning down my neighborhood in full kit.  Four rifle and a few pistol mags should do.
View Quote

Thanks for sharing your AAR. We will be taking a range time class sooner or later but time has not permitted thus far. Im glad you enjoyed it and learned a lot. Local to me is TYR 1 training. Good guys with reasonable class costs and ammo requirements.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 9:29:16 AM EDT
[#5]
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cCygO4JQCTg
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 2:57:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 9:27:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Thats what I was thinking
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top