Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 6/13/2011 4:20:47 PM EDT
I grew up in MN and may retire there in about ten years.  In the meantime I would like to shoot suppressed while home on vacation.  I recently helped amend the law banning silencer use in WA, but making them legal to own in MN will be much harder.  Anyone game?  Thanks.

Ranb
Link Posted: 6/13/2011 4:31:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Hell Yeah
Link Posted: 6/13/2011 5:18:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/13/2011 6:05:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Any strategy needs to educate the DFL govenor and enough DFL reps & senators to counter the far left & liberal media, which will make suppressors out to be some assassin weapon. The Repubs will pass it but there will be the inevitable push-back will come from from the left. The Govenor isn't the brightest guy and to get him educated that potential owners are very well vetted by the feds, and that not every Tom, Dick & Harry will be buying these by stopping by Gander Mountain is essential IMO.

And any strategy needs to got thru before the next election cycle.

My .02

BTW - I live in Duluth.

Link Posted: 6/13/2011 6:19:54 PM EDT
[#4]
There is one guy on SilencerTalk that is interested, and there is a group posting here also;  http://www.mnguntalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=19221  I wrote to GOCRA-MA to ask their advice and if they were devoting any resources to amending the law.

As a former resident (Carlton), I am not likely to be able to sway the opinions of any MN legislators, but I can help with advice and letters.  I also made an educational video that I sent to various WA legislators.  I can change it a bit to reflect what we need in Minnesota.

My brief look at the MN government homepage shows that the 2011 session ended in May?  And the 2012 session should begin in February?  With the 2011 session over and any possible special session limited to matters the governor thinks are important, we have the rest of the year to get organized.  I am currently working on a bill in WA to allow SBR/SBRS.  The SBR/SBS issued is much like the MN silencer issue.  The police can have them, but civilians cannot.

They way I see it we need to do several things.

1.  Find a legislator that is willing to submit a silencer bill.
2.  Prove that silencers are not a crime problem in MN.  I did this in WA by writing to every county sheriff to inquire about any silencer related crime.  In WA they were required by law to respond.
3.  We need to contact (write and meet) each legislator to speak to them about the bill.  Committee chairman are the most important.  E-mail is no good, need to send letters and actually meet them.
4.  Send people to show up at each committee hearing to ensure accurate information is presented about silencers and to counter any anti-gun propaganda.

Who else has ideas?  

Ranb
Link Posted: 6/13/2011 6:26:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I suggest using the term "suppressor" vs silencer.  The term "silencer" is inaccurate since we all know that the devices do not silence the report but mearly reduces it.

My .02
Link Posted: 6/13/2011 6:35:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Here is an educational video I made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5WcX3dJtuc  

It was originally for the WA legislature, but I removed the WA stuff and made it a general video for anyone.  I can add MN relevant information to it to send to the governor and legislators in MN.

Before I change the video, I need to have access to silencer crime data in MN.  It would be a big mistake to claim a law crime rate without data to back it up.  We need someone to write to every county sheriff and request case numbers for silencer crime or at least poll the officers to find out if they know of any silencer crime.

Randy

Link Posted: 6/13/2011 6:40:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I suggest using the term "suppressor" vs silencer.  The term "silencer" is inaccurate since we all know that the devices do not silence the report but mearly reduces it.

I know where you are coming from, but I use silencer on gun forums because then everyone knows I am speaking of a gun muffler, and besides, it is the legal term for a gun muffler in the USA.  I use the word suppressor in my video and when discussing it with government officials.  

A silencer only reduces muzzle blast noise just as a car muffler only reduces exhaust noise and does nothing for any other kind of noise.  A typical silencer can reduce noise by 30 decibels; this is a 1000 times lowering of intensity and an 8 times lowering of loudness.  I think the words "merely reduces" is a gross understatement.  :)

Randy

Link Posted: 6/13/2011 6:57:02 PM EDT
[#8]
There are way more people interested than what you'll find in the hometown forum or on any forums in general.

I'd probably have 5+ form 1 suppressors at this moment if I could!

Jon
Link Posted: 6/13/2011 7:58:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

They way I see it we need to do several things.

2.  Prove that silencers are not a crime problem in MN.  I did this in WA by writing to every county sheriff to inquire about any silencer related crime.  In WA they were required by law to respond.

A few thoughts:

-  That data needs to be national, not just for MN.  The easy response to MN-only data is "well, of course they aren't a problem in Minnesota...they're illegal."  People need to know that they are legal in nearly EVERY other state, and that they are not a problem.  A better idea would be to make the data as international as possible.  Explain how tightly guns are regulated in Europe, but that people can still own suppressors.

-  Make sure the message gets out that this is a way to protect the hearing of both people pursuing legal target shooting activities as well as the neighbors that live near shooting ranges.

-  Fully educate people about the federal tax stamp process.

-  Get an industry partner involved.  DPMS is here.  More sales means more tax income to the state.

-  The legislation should include huge penalties for poaching while in possession of a suppressor.  If I remember correctly, even pro-gun legislators are anti-suppressor due to fears about poaching.  In fact, the first draft of the bill should probably include a flat-out ban on possession of a suppressor in the woods during hunting season.  Shooting ranges should be excepted, of course.

-  This last one won't be popular, but it might be the only way.  The budget is the big issue in Minnesota.  Consider a state application fee.  It helps solve a state-wide problem, and might be what it takes to get the legislation passed.

Link Posted: 6/13/2011 8:24:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I have some national data, but it is very general in nature.  We need the MN police behind us or at least taking a neutral position.

I think silencers should be allowed for hunting.  High powered rifles are still readily heard when equipped with a silencer.  If the DNR wants to disallow silencers while hunting, so be it, but I think sentencing enhancements are the wrong way to go.  

Personally I would never support an additional fee on any firearm.  In fact, if a new MN silencer bill includes additional fees on silencer possession, I will not work to pass it.  The fact that it helps small business should be enough.

Ranb
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 12:34:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have some national data, but it is very general in nature.  We need the MN police behind us or at least taking a neutral position.
I think silencers should be allowed for hunting.  High powered rifles are still readily heard when equipped with a silencer.  If the DNR wants to disallow silencers while hunting, so be it, but I think sentencing enhancements are the wrong way to go.  

Personally I would never support an additional fee on any firearm.  In fact, if a new MN silencer bill includes additional fees on silencer possession, I will not work to pass it.  The fact that it helps small business should be enough.

Ranb

That part may be difficult.
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 5:52:20 AM EDT
[#12]
1) The DNR is staunchly against suppressors because they think it will increase poaching. If we could get decent states on poaching in MN vs similar states with legal suppresors, it would help to sway public opinion, but not the DNR.

2) The special session is NOT limited to Dayton's whim, or soley budgetary matters. Anything can be put on the table. However, since the GOP dropped the Firearms Omnibus bill, i doubt they would pick another one up.

3) My guess is that GOCRA will be working harder on the firearms omnibus stuff next year and not be inclined to bring in suppressors. Although, they are receptive to the idea, i think they have a strong feeling it won't go anywhere, and would be a poison pill to any bill.

Link Posted: 6/14/2011 6:02:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

My .02

I agree, but I think it should be taken a step further. "Noise suppressor" as opposed to "suppressor."
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 6:58:05 AM EDT
[#14]
After some more thought, it seems that trying to obtain details on silencer crime in MN may not be worthwhile as they are already illegal.  I was thinking too much like the legal climate in my home state of WA.

I think a stand alone bill would be the best, that way we are not potentially killing some other gun bill it may be attached to.  

Here is a list of police organizations in MN.  http://mppoa.com/organizations.html  There are a couple of groups that we should talk to about a silencer bill like the MN Chiefs of Police Association.  I do not think that we can obtain their support, but if they agree to take a neutral stance on a silencer bill, it should help greatly.  Amending the law to merely require registration with the feds could help the police by removing some of the  red tape they have to go through.

Ranb
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 10:15:25 AM EDT
[#15]
if i can help in any way with cleaning up/polishing the video lemme know...
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 10:27:32 AM EDT
[#16]
This is a good battle to fight.  I shoot a lot, and even with double hearing protection, I can tell my ears are being affected.

I particularly like tthe angle of allowing these as a public service/health issue.

Even though they are already illegal, wouldn't it still be beneficial to have data that shows (potentially) that they are not a problem?  I mean, drugs are illegal, but show up in crimes frequently.
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 12:13:01 PM EDT
[#17]
I can send a DVD to anyone who wants a copy of the video.  PM me with your address.

I am willing to write letters if you guys think it will help.  They might be more willing to respond to a MN resident though.  

We need to approach a friendly legislator to submit a silencer bill.  As I am not a resident, they are not going to help me.  Who here has a suitable Senator or Rep that can help us?  Give me a name and I can help draft a letter to them.

Ranb
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 12:32:46 PM EDT
[#18]
I sent a letter like this one to every sheriff in WA when requesting crime data, it worked very well as WA law requires that they respond.  All but five responded to my request.

Your name, address, e-mail, phone

Date

Sheriff's Address

Sheriff XXXXXX,

I am discussing the merits of a bill to allow civilian ownership of firearm sound suppressors with several of my Representatives in the state legislature. One piece of information they desire are whether or not any crimes have been committed with firearm sound suppressors in the State.

Does the Sheriff’s Office have any experience with persons breaking the law (97B.031) banning silencer possession?  If there have been any arrests or convictions, can you provide me with a case number or other information?

Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Respectfully,

WA has a law that says the government has to respond to a request for information.  If MN has a similar law, I cannot find it.  Can anyone help?  If we request crime data in accordance with state law, then they are more likely to respond with relevant data.

Ranb
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 12:52:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Representative Tony Cornish sounds like a good person to approach for a silencer bill.  http://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/members/members.asp?id=10757  
He is co-author of HF1467 (self defense) and is a police chief.  If he is supportive of silencer use, then he would be a good guy to have on our side.  We need a forum member from district 24B to write him a letter.  http://www.gis.leg.mn/l2002/pdf/24B.pdf

Ranb

Link Posted: 6/14/2011 1:34:04 PM EDT
[#20]
I really don't know much about challenging standing laws, or what I could do to help.  I am very interested in helping in some way.  My local sheriff is a very pro 2A guy, and I have had a couple long conversations with him confirming it.  The subject of silencers was brought up and he seemed to think it would be great if they were legal in MN.  Maybe he could be a useful tool?
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 1:58:46 PM EDT
[#21]
He would probably be good to have.  Can you ask him to do a search on silencer crime in the State, or at least his county?  If he has data, it would be good to know some details like if the silencer was registered or it was used for poaching.

Ranb
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 2:39:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
He would probably be good to have.  Can you ask him to do a search on silencer crime in the State, or at least his county?  If he has data, it would be good to know some details like if the silencer was registered or it was used for poaching.

Ranb

I will give him a call tomorrow and see if I can get him to support this.
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 4:17:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Representative Tony Cornish sounds like a good person to approach for a silencer bill.  http://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/members/members.asp?id=10757  
He is co-author of HF1467 (self defense) and is a police chief.  If he is supportive of silencer use, then he would be a good guy to have on our side.  We need a forum member from district 24B to write him a letter.  http://www.gis.leg.mn/l2002/pdf/24B.pdf

Ranb

A few years ago Tony Cornish said he would NOT support this due to the poaching aspect (he's a retired CO).  

IMO the only method that will work will be to introduce language with regards to silencers saying that they are illegal to own or possess unless you are a LE agency, manufacturer, or are licensed by the BATFE...or something to that effect.  In the best case that will fly over people's heads as legislative gobbledygook and if it doesn't it will remind everyone how restrictive the federal law (which obviously will still apply) already is.

I'm an attorney and will assist with drafting legislation if we can find someone in the legislature to run with this.
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 4:42:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know where you are coming from, but I use silencer on gun forums because then everyone knows I am speaking of a gun muffler, and besides, it is the legal term for a gun muffler in the USA.  I use the word suppressor in my video and when discussing it with government officials.  

A silencer only reduces muzzle blast noise just as a car muffler only reduces exhaust noise and does nothing for any other kind of noise.  A typical silencer can reduce noise by 30 decibels; this is a 1000 times lowering of intensity and an 8 times lowering of loudness.  I think the words "merely reduces" is a gross understatement.  :)

Randy

I own suppressors so I know what they do. I had to leave them in ID for safe keeping when I moved here. I'm not sure I agree that the word silencer is the legal term since many in the industry and user world use the term suppressor. But nonetheless the strategy for out reach should explain these devices suppress sounds and don't silence them as per the movies.

Explaining that difference is key to those in a state that don't know the difference, especially MN. Its been my experience that the typical gunowner here is fairly uninformed on most firearms techicalities beyond their deer rifle.
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 5:00:42 PM EDT
[#25]
1) The DNR is staunchly against suppressors because they think it will increase poaching. If we could get decent states on poaching in MN vs similar states with legal suppresors, it would help to sway public opinion, but not the DNR.

This is another key point.

DNR (who I work with on a reg basis) also believes that every Tom, Dick & Harry will be getting suppressors at Cabelas or Gander Mountain, but they don't realize that becoming an owner is a spendy committment.

Quality suppresors aren't cheap and the Fed license isn't either plus the costs an applicant puts into the needed documentation to send into BATFE. So this is another education/message point. While there will be a few bad apples I'll bet that "legally owned "suppressor don't show up in crimes very often.  I'd try to find some data that indicates that legal suppressors aren't used in poaching and/or other crimes very much.
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 5:10:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Not having the opportunity to do the research yet, does anyone know the list of states that do allow hunting with suppressors?  It may be worthwhile to contact the DNR in each state asking about suppressed poaching.  For that matter, it be worth it talk to the DNR offices in all of the states where suppressors are legal.

Link Posted: 6/14/2011 5:25:06 PM EDT
[#27]
In MN, it might be possible to make this a Public Health and Good Neighbor issue as well.

Suppressors reduction in the loudness of the report preserves hearing and offers those that are near a gun range a quieter report to deal with.

And, I'm willing to get involved in working on this issue.
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 8:58:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Well, that sucks to hear that about Cornish not supporting silencers over the poaching issue.  We might have to insert a “not allowed while hunting” clause into the bill.  97b.031 is part of the hunting regulations anyway.

The feds do use muffler and silencer as legal terms.  
CGA of 1968, Title 18, Chapter 44, 921; definitions (24) The terms "firearm silencer" and "firearm muffler" mean any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm,…..

The word suppressor is typically used in the US Code to describe flash suppressors, but is used a few times on the munitions list and the import list as a synonym for silencer and when explaining that air rifle suppressors are silencers.  That said, I normally use the more benign word suppressor when discussing silencers with legislators.  But I have found that many legislators use both words, so I do not worry about it so much

It is not necessary to contact the DNR in each state to find out if silencers are legal for hunting.  A better way is to just examine the law for ourselves.  This is lots of work, but we can divide it up amongst ourselves and keep a list of those that allow them and those that do not.  I have looked up the laws in a few states and can say that some ban use while hunting anything, some ban use only on game animals and some do not say anything (like WA) about using them while hunting at all.

Ranb
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 9:21:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
IMO the only method that will work will be to introduce language with regards to silencers saying that they are illegal to own or possess unless you are a LE agency, manufacturer, or are licensed by the BATFE...or something to that effect.  In the best case that will fly over people's heads as legislative gobbledygook and if it doesn't it will remind everyone how restrictive the federal law (which obviously will still apply) already is.

I'm an attorney and will assist with drafting legislation if we can find someone in the legislature to run with this.

It is important that the amended law does not require that a license be required to own a silencer or any other firearm in MN.  The only persons licensed by the BATFE about firearm matters are importers, manufacturers and dealers.  People who own title 2 firearms for personal use only register them with the applicable ATF tax stamp application (form 1, 4, 5); a license is never required unless they are dealt with as a business.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=97B.031  The law should be amended to read as follows;
Subd. 4.Silencers prohibited.
Except as provided in section 609.66, subdivision 1h, a person may not own or possess a silencer for a firearm or a firearm equipped to have a silencer attached unless it is legally owned and registered in accordance with federal law.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=609.66  All references to silencers in 609.66 should be deleted.

Ranb
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 6:27:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
In MN, it might be possible to make this a Public Health and Good Neighbor issue as well.

Suppressors reduction in the loudness of the report preserves hearing and offers those that are near a gun range a quieter report to deal with.

And, I'm willing to get involved in working on this issue.

this is the approach i've always thought might stand a chance.  more than a few police depts have gotten suppressors by getting OSHA involved.  think about the poor employees at the ranges having their hearing damged every day.  OSHA to the rescue and supressors for us.  i agree with the other poster about the DNR not understanding the cost issues involved witih buying supressors.  I assume it will be just like the other nfa items in MN––i assume a very small percentage of overall ownership.

Link Posted: 6/15/2011 7:36:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted: I assume it will be just like the other nfa items in MN––i assume a very small percentage of overall ownership.

I agree.  A silencer bill is something even a moderately anti-gun politician can support guilt free due to the very low impact it will have on the state.  Since silencer use is rare by civilians and police even in states where they are legal, no one is really going to notice them much at all.  I think this is the main reason WA gun owners were able to get their bill passed.

We just need to convince your legislators that silencers are moral, legal and only owned by the nicest people in town.

Ranb

Link Posted: 6/15/2011 11:50:19 AM EDT
[#32]
With respect to the MN Chiefs of Police Association's opinions on suppressors, this is the not I received back today when I asked them:

To; BC98:

We do not take a stance on single issues.  We can only comply with the laws that the legislators pass.  

If new legislation is introduced, we may make an opinion on that new legislation.
Once the legislation is introduced to the legislators we would be willing to look at it.
Unfortunately it is too late for this year.  

Thank You;
Chief Ron Sager Isanti PD
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 12:07:55 PM EDT
[#33]
It could have been worse, he could have said they oppose civilian silencer possession.

Ranb
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 12:48:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
With respect to the MN Chiefs of Police Association's opinions on suppressors, this is the not I received back today when I asked them:

To; BC98:

We do not take a stance on single issues.  We can only comply with the laws that the legislators pass.  

If new legislation is introduced, we may make an opinion on that new legislation.
Once the legislation is introduced to the legislators we would be willing to look at it.
Unfortunately it is too late for this year.  

Thank You;
Chief Ron Sager Isanti PD

If he is saying it is too late for this year, then it would seem we have time to prepare well for this battle.  I did contact my county sheriff today.  He is more than happy to research the crime history involving silencers.  He told me to call him next week and he would have some info for me.  He did say he is in 100% support of what we are discussing here, but might be afraid to endorse it professionally.  If there is anything else I can ask him to do to help this cause, let me know.
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 3:27:49 PM EDT
[#35]
And for the MN Sheriffs' Association response:

Mr. BC98:

Your e-mail below was sent to my attention for review and response.

Thank you for your comments on this subject.

The Minnesota Sheriffs Association has not formally considered or taken a position on this specific issue at this point in time.  We are aware of the issues and some of the “pro and con” points of view on this subject.  At the moment, we are not aware of any specific legislation that has been introduced and as you know with many of the gun issues, it is often difficult to gain statewide support on a controversial subject like guns.  Thank you.

James Franklin, Executive Director

Minnesota Sheriffs Association

So it would seem that both organizations are taking a "We'll burn that bridge when we come to it" attitude.  That should give us plenty of time to prepare very well for the position of any type of opposition.
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 8:24:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Would a letter to the BATFE get us any useful crime statics as far as both legally and illegally possessed silencers used in crimes? They are a federally regulated item, so I would think they would keep track of this kind of thing. I would be willing to write the letter if anyone thinks it's worth the time.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 4:35:49 AM EDT
[#37]
I am eyeing MN as a possible place for future residence, and hell yes I'd be for having suppressors be legal!
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 5:26:13 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Would a letter to the BATFE get us any useful crime statics as far as both legally and illegally possessed silencers used in crimes? They are a federally regulated item, so I would think they would keep track of this kind of thing. I would be willing to write the letter if anyone thinks it's worth the time.

Please wrtie.  It might help a bit.  Not all crimes related to title 2 firearms are prosecuted at the federal level.  Sometimes the state handles it.

Ranb  

Link Posted: 6/16/2011 3:19:58 PM EDT
[#39]
I am totally interested in this as I plan on moving back to MN in a couple years and the only thing holding me back from purchasing a suppressor right now in AZ is this (money too...kind of ).  Any way I can try and help around  my busy schedule, let me know.  Suppressors are not common down here.  Going to a large range down here few times a month, I have only seen 2 in use in the past year.  

ETA: (yes, I know I'm crazy for moving back from AZ a still very free state, the rest of the family won't leave MN )
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 5:46:36 PM EDT
[#40]
guys whoanelly is RIGHT!

IMO the only method that will work will be to introduce language with regards to silencers saying that they are illegal to own or possess unless you are a LE agency, manufacturer, or are licensed by the BATFE...or something to that effect. In the best case that will fly over people's heads as legislative gobbledygook and if it doesn't it will remind everyone how restrictive the federal law (which obviously will still apply) already is.

the only way to get this thru the legislature is to change the law like whoanelly says above, only people with federal paperwork/permission, aka form 3/4/5 can own suppressors.  it won't work ANY other way!!!

go read some of the committee transcripts for this years DNR suppressor bill.  the bill allowed the DNR to own the suppressors and keep possession of them.  this is the MN DNR wanting to own the suppressors themselves for dispatching animals and you could tell from the questions from legislators that they weren't too keen on it.  the ONLY way you are going to get suppressors legal in MN is the above way.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 7:53:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Here is the letter I am going to send to the lelgislators in district 8 / 8A.  Feel free to use this letter for ideas, but do not copy/paste.

Representative Hilty,  

I am writing to find out if you would be willing to sponsor or support a bill to allow civilian possession of firearm noise suppressors.   As you may know, suppressors are legal for civilians to own at the federal level and in most of the states.   Minnesota is one of only 13 states that do not allow most civilians to possess suppressors.  

Persons that own suppressors can only do so with the approval of the BATFE.  Anyone who buys a suppressor must submit an application along with their finger prints and photos as well as pay a $200 tax.  The person submitting the application must obtain their local sheriff’s signature on the form prior to sending it in for approval.   The BATFE only approves the application after performing a background check and verifying that suppressors are legal to own in the applicant’s state.  This process is the same as that required to own a machine gun or short barreled shotgun (relics only), both of which are legal in Minnesota.

Crimes associated with suppressors are rare in the United States.  This is because suppressors are not common and anyone who goes to the time and expense to legally purchase a suppressor is probably not the kind of person who will miss-use it.  The federal government also has severe penalties for criminal miss-use of suppressors or simply evading the tax when buying one.

Suppressors are very useful as noise reducers.  Hearing loss is one of the most common injuries associated with firearms use.  A typical suppressor will lower noise by about 30 decibels.  This is a 1000 times decrease in noise intensity and an eight fold reduction in loudness.  Even with this amount of noise reduction, firearms are still not silent when equipped with a suppressor.  A small 22 caliber rim fire rifle will still be about 110 decibels when used with a quality suppressor.   A suppressor also does nothing to reduce action and bullet flight noise.  Suppressors also protect the hearing of any bystanders that are not wearing hearing protection or wearing incorrectly.  They are also very effective at reducing sound level near rifle ranges.  With previously isolated rifle ranges being encroached upon by houses, the noise reduction benefits of firearm suppressors are readily apparent.

There are concerns by some, including myself, that suppressors can be used by poachers in an attempt to hide their illegal activities.  A suppressor can make it more difficult to catch a poacher, but allowing their possession by the law abiding people of Minnesota will not increase availability to those people who choose to break the law.  The great majority of suppressor owners in the United States obey the law.  Keeping suppressor possession illegal only punishes the law abiding residents of Minnesota.

The national trend has been to make firearm suppressors more available to civilians.  Kansas and Missouri both amended their laws a few years ago to allow suppressor possession.  Washington State recently amended the law to allow civilians and the police to use registered suppressors.

If you are willing, I would like to see a bill submitted in time for the 2012 legislative session.  

Statute 97B.031 currently says in part;

Except as provided in section 609.66, subdivision 1h, a person may not own or possess a silencer for a firearm or a firearm equipped to have a silencer attached.

I think it would be beneficial if the law was amended to read;

Except as provided in section 609.66, subdivision 1h, a A person may not own or possess a silencer for a firearm or a firearm equipped to have a silencer attached unless it is registered and legally owned in accordance with federal law.

609.66 subdivision 1h contains requirements that would be unnecessary if State law is brought in line with federal law.  The DNR is exempt from the prohibition on suppressor possession to a limited extent so that they can use them for wildlife control operations.  609.99 subsection 1h which allows the DNR to use suppressors expires on July 2011.  Easing restrictions on suppressor possession will also benefit the DNR.

If you have any questions or need to know more about the legalities of suppressors, please let me know.  I am willing to answer any questions you may have.

Respectfully,

Ranb

If we can get lot of people to write letters seeking sponsors, there is a good chance we can actually get a bill submitted.

Ranb
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 8:11:51 PM EDT
[#42]
If anyone copies and pastes the above letter make sure you don't misspell the word miss-use.  It's misuse.  Otherwise, excellent work!
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 6:30:22 AM EDT
[#43]
It has been a while since I read up on this... Didn't Missouri get their law changed a few years back that opened the doors for private ownership.  IIRC they changed it so LE and Federal Firearm License  holders where exempt from the ban.  A C&R FFL was listed as being fulfilling the FFL requirement.  Since the wording was only law enforcement and federally licensed holders where allowed to own them,  It kept the nanny libs happy but was able to allow private folks to own them.   If it means I can have a can I would be more then happy to keep a C&R.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 7:15:56 AM EDT
[#44]
Missouri changed their laws to allow C&R's to own title 2 firearms.  Since a C&R is used for amassing a personal gun collection and is issued on demand, Missouri is normally listed as one of those states that allow civilians to own silencers.

Ranb
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 7:49:27 AM EDT
[#45]
RanB,

With your respect to your letter, I do not believe short barrel shotguns and machine guns are legal in MN.  Short barrel rifles and C&R machine guns are, though.

Link Posted: 6/17/2011 10:49:13 AM EDT
[#46]
I should be more specific.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=609.67
 (3) persons possessing machine guns or short-barreled shotguns which, although designed as weapons, have been determined by the superintendent of the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension or the superintendent's delegate by reason of the date of manufacture, value, design or other characteristics to be primarily collector's items, relics, museum pieces or objects of curiosity, ornaments or keepsakes, and are not likely to be used as weapons;

Thanks guys.  This is the kind of support we need to offer to each other when trying to get this law changed.

Ranb
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 2:37:33 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
guys whoanelly is RIGHT!

IMO the only method that will work will be to introduce language with regards to silencers saying that they are illegal to own or possess unless you are a LE agency, manufacturer, or are licensed by the BATFE...or something to that effect. In the best case that will fly over people's heads as legislative gobbledygook and if it doesn't it will remind everyone how restrictive the federal law (which obviously will still apply) already is.

the only way to get this thru the legislature is to change the law like whoanelly says above, only people with federal paperwork/permission, aka form 3/4/5 can own suppressors.  it won't work ANY other way!!!

go read some of the committee transcripts for this years DNR suppressor bill.  the bill allowed the DNR to own the suppressors and keep possession of them.  this is the MN DNR wanting to own the suppressors themselves for dispatching animals and you could tell from the questions from legislators that they weren't too keen on it.  the ONLY way you are going to get suppressors legal in MN is the above way.

They firearms bill that was going to be sent through this year had an amendment attached to it to exempt Manufacturers and Dealers.
It would have added suppressors to the exemption just like Machine guns and SBS.  

The DNR can go F**K themselves...

The DNR brings in "sharpshooters" every year to thin out deer herds and other animals.   These "sharpshooters" bring suppressed rifles.

I have asked the DNR many times, without an answer how these people are allowed to bring a suppressor into the state since the shooters are not LE.

The ATF will not allow someone to bring in a suppressor, I asked the NFA and they would not allow it if you filled out the forms to bring one into the state because it is against state law. The DNR cannot make a request of the NFA to allow it either..

The best way to start is to get a law more like the Missouri law that lets those who are Federally licensed to have them first.  

The way the state government is right now we would never get them to let individuals have them.
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 7:05:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
The DNR brings in "sharpshooters" every year to thin out deer herds and other animals.   These "sharpshooters" bring suppressed rifles.

I have asked the DNR many times, without an answer how these people are allowed to bring a suppressor into the state since the shooters are not LE.

The ATF will not allow someone to bring in a suppressor, I asked the NFA and they would not allow it if you filled out the forms to bring one into the state because it is against state law. The DNR cannot make a request of the NFA to allow it either..

The best way to start is to get a law more like the Missouri law that lets those who are Federally licensed to have them first.  

The way the state government is right now we would never get them to let individuals have them.

There is more than one exemption to the ban on silencers in MN.  Look here; https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=609.66

(b) Notwithstanding subdivision 1a, paragraph (a), clause (1), until July 1, 2011, an enforcement officer, as defined in section 97A.015, subdivision 18, a wildlife area manager, an employee designated under section 84.0835, or a person acting under contract with the commissioner of natural resources, at specific times and locations that are authorized by the commissioner of natural resources may use devices designed to silence or muffle the discharge of a firearm for wildlife control operations that require stealth. If the commissioner determines that the use of silencing devices is necessary under this paragraph, the commissioner must:

(1) establish and enforce a written policy governing the use, possession, and transportation of the devices;

(2) limit the number of the silencing devices maintained by the Department of Natural Resources to no more than ten; and

(3) keep direct custody and control of the devices when the devices are not specifically authorized for use.

Clearly it is a simple matter for the DNR to contract with a person or group to bring suppressed firearms into the state for wildlife control operations.  The ATF does not even get involved as form 5330.20 is not required to be submitted to the ATF if out-of-state contractors are used.  Easy as pie for the MN DNR to do this.

I do not like a requirement that says a license must be obtained to own a silencer.  While the C&R is not as cumbersome as the FFL/SOT, the ATF forms 1, 4 and 5 should be enough.

Observe that this exemption expires in July this year.  I wonder what they are going to do after that?  This is a prime opportunity for us to jump on this and ease restrictions for everyone; the police, DNR and residents.

Ranb

Link Posted: 6/18/2011 9:30:53 AM EDT
[#49]
In regards to those who say having a license may ease concerns on owning suppressors in MN the BATFE registration is a form of life-time license since the devices are registered to the approved owner.  I see no need in having a state license since that could be denied (before applying to the BATFE, or revoked at a later date), have a limited time period (like the carry permit) or have another high added cost (on top of the BATFE tax stamp of $200) for the state who really likes to tax the hell out of its citizens.

My .02
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 10:56:46 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
In regards to those who say having a license may ease concerns on owning suppressors in MN the BATFE registration is a form of life-time license since the devices are registered to the approved owner.  I see no need in having a state license since that could be denied (before applying to the BATFE, or revoked at a later date), have a limited time period (like the carry permit) or have another high added cost (on top of the BATFE tax stamp of $200) for the state who really likes to tax the hell out of its citizens.

My .02

Agreed 100%.  And VarmintSniper, no offense, but I can see why you would support letting FFLs get Suppressors first since you are one, but the majority of us have to go through the trouble of forming a trust and getting a tax stamp, we don't also have the time, inclination, or resources to become an FFL and maintain that credential-and we shouldn't have to.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top