Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2017 3:06:18 PM EDT
I was chatting with a business today which offers the pistol course like I do.  They told me that some, but not all, cities and towns exempt active duty soldiers from having to take the required safety course.  I have not heard this before although it would make sense to me.  Does anyone know if this is the case??
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 6:19:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think that is accurate information.  I don't recall any exemption for active duty service members at the state level.  The state also defines the process, and while the town like to add there own requirements, I don't think they can allow for an exemption for any part of the state requirements.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 6:20:43 PM EDT
[#2]
When I asked DESPP about this they told me that even active duty military needed to take a class. My town uses resident troopers. This was 3 years ago.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 6:32:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Yea no exceptions.  

However the NRA instructor may have a personal thing wher he'll just sign off on the Mil people's classes so they can get the permit.  

Don't know if legal though
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 6:50:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep no specific exemption in the stupid statute...
No state or temporary state permit to carry a pistol or revolver shall be issued under this subsection if the applicant (1) has failed to successfully complete a course approved by the Commissioner of Emergency Services and Public Protection in the safety and use of pistols and revolvers including, but not limited to, a safety or training course in the use of pistols and revolvers available to the public offered by a law enforcement agency, a private or public educational institution or a firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or the Department of Energy and Environmental Protection and a safety or training course in the use of pistols or revolvers conducted by an instructor certified by the state or the National Rifle Association, ....
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 7:35:29 PM EDT
[#5]
See, I knew that.  And now my opinion of the fella that shared that info with me is now suspect.  He was adamant that was the case and has obviously just done the "sign off" deal.

Thanks for chiming in buddies.  

Rome
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 7:35:57 PM EDT
[#6]
The statute doesn't list an exemption for military service/ training.

As an interesting aside/ anecdote, there was an individual who attempted to obtain a permit based on his previous training and qualification as a police officer. (I forget if he was still on the force or had just retired at the time of his application). His local issuing authority denied the application (based on concerns with the police departments qualification program). He eventually did end up appealing, successfully, to the BFPE. (That appellant also attempted to make an argument based on LEOSA, though the Board did not allow him to argue that part of his case)
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 5:45:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I did 10 years and I still had to take course.

Current active duty are exempt? I don't believe so
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 6:52:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Active duty with current PCS orders can purchase firearms in state without a permit. DOD ID (active, guard and reserves) can purchase ammo without a permit or certificate. Nothing in the laws about any military being able to carry without a permit and no exemptions to not take the course.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 12:36:24 AM EDT
[#9]
When I first PCSed here back in 2007 I went to a gun shop on Route 1 in Milford (forgot the name, no longer is there)  the guy said I needed to take the class.  Took the class and filed with Milford PD.  I brought a copy of my small arms qualification record with me.  The cop working the counter said I didn't need to take the course.  Oh well...no big deal.  Not sure if it is still like that.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 1:52:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Most towns don't abide by the 8 weeks allowed on an initial application for a permit so I'm sure there's a few making up more rules and let vets slide:
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top