Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/7/2016 6:35:31 PM EDT
I know we have at least a few hunters on here and I will be going out for my first season this year. I will mainly go after Deer and Turkey this year but other small game may be fit in the mix as time allows.

There are so many different camo patterns, brands and price points. I have been looking around and its a bit over welming.

I mainly looking for and early season lightweight outfit and a heavier cold season outfit. For the in between I can wear more layers. I think he hardest part is in CT you could see and range of temps during our hunting season (I am going bow hunting so the season is different than rifle).

So...what do you guys use prefer? I know not one kid is perfect for every situation but I'm looking for serving that will be the most versatile in our area.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 6:45:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Proper New England hunting attire.

Link Posted: 8/7/2016 7:11:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I use the Cabelas scentlok. They have some good mossy oak that works well up here. Then again I haven't gotten a deer in two years. The best deals are always after the season. Good topic tag.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 7:17:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Lmao group8!

While Toady is right about scent lok for dear, its big bucks for a good outfit and usually weather specific.

I'd look ad surplus German flektarn camo. Sportsmans Outdoor has it for less than $100 for top and bottom. It's Goretex with anchored seems and only a hardshell. Good for wet, dry, snow and you can layer underneath, for hot or cool temps. Camo pattern is great for the NE too. Come by my place and check it out. I went through same situation two years ago and ended up there.

Link Posted: 8/7/2016 7:18:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Flecktarn works so good you wouldn't believe it.

And it's cheap.

ETA: nice John! Flecktarn FTW!!
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 7:21:22 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/75/Flecktarn.jpg

And it's cheap.

View Quote

Lol my man!

Us Germans think alike!

Link Posted: 8/7/2016 7:25:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I have been looking at Cabela's o2 octane, there seems to be a lot of hype with the new pattern but I'm wondering if it's just that...hype. I went to look today and there was shit for a selection. You would think if you're marketing a new product you would have it out for display!

I have heard great things about scent lok and I will be using a scent lok base layer beyond that I don't think it is 100% necessary for every other piece of clothing to be scent lok.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 7:32:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Lol my man!

Us Germans think alike!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/75/Flecktarn.jpg

And it's cheap.

Lol my man!

Us Germans think alike!

That was too funny. I was thinking to myself, "nobody is gonna know what I'm talking about, I better go find a pic."

Link Posted: 8/7/2016 7:34:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I use the Cabelas scentlok. They have some good mossy oak that works well up here. Then again I haven't gotten a deer in two years. The best deals are always after the season. Good topic tag.
View Quote

I like the patterns of the mossy oak but some of them have some really bright colors which my be better for early season but later in the season I feel like a lot of gray tones are you best bet for concealment.

The pattern chosen will also depend on the temps during the season, if we have an extremely warm fall/early winter the brighter colors may work longer.

I have done a little research but as I said this is a little overwhelming and could be quite expensive.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 7:38:12 PM EDT
[#9]
John & Zeg- here is the new Cabela's o2 octane. It has similar colors as the pattern you are taking about just a little dulled down and not as prominent.

I saw this thread a few weeks ago and this is what sparked my camp search.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_23/686500_WHAT_DEER_SEE.html
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 7:49:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
John & Zeg- here is the new Cabela's o2 octane. It has similar colors as the pattern you are taking about just a little dulled down and not as prominent.

https://lh4.ggpht.com/-llvvnPRDZGU/V2Np4PU4sMI/AAAAAAA4KmY/PL3C4vvlIUc/w560/socialfeed.info-explore-the-world-in-cabela-s-o2-octane-camo.jpg

I saw this thread a few weeks ago and this is what sparked my camp search.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_23/686500_WHAT_DEER_SEE.html
View Quote

Nice that actual,y looks pretty good.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 9:16:56 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't put much effort in camo patterns . When deer hunting I make sure my stand is high, above 20 feet. It seems that you can make quite a bit of Movement with game present when being up high. They just don't see it. I treat fall turkey the same
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 9:29:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I don't put much effort in camo patterns . When deer hunting I make sure my stand is high, above 20 feet. It seems that you can make quite a bit of Movement with game present when being up high. They just don't see it. I treat fall turkey the same
View Quote

Are they smart enough to know that there is no predator that high above them?
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 9:32:07 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote

While I am NOT an experienced hunter, the whole camo thing seems to me like ACU, Multi Cam, Cryptec, blah, blah, blah. Get something technically sound, pattern matters not so much as long as it's in the ball park of you area.

Link Posted: 8/7/2016 9:36:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Personally, I'm not sure if I'm ready for a tree stand yet. They kind of scare the shit out of you in the hunter safety course. Also, with this being my first year I'd like to spend more time on the ground looking at tracks and that kind of a thing.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 11:23:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Pick soft natural feeling cloth.  Quiet.  Run your fingernails down it. Does it sound like a zipper?  If so move on.

Watch the wind.  Always head into the wind.

Move slow.  Look around.    Look for things that don't fit.    Horizontal lines in a vertical word, movements, flicks,  

Smell sound and movement. Are your enemy.

Hunt squirrels.

Get binoculars.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 11:27:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Low too.  While almost impossible to hunt from.  You stay low to the ground and move slow you can crawl right up to most deer.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 5:58:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, but it wouldn't matter anyway. Biker doesn't hunt using a bow or firearm - he uses knives. It's quiet, efficient, and "personal" when he dives down onto a deer. They never know what hit them. After he's dispatched his prey, he blesses it and gives thanks to the gods by offering up the animal's innards and bathing in its blood.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 6:06:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

No, but it wouldn't matter anyway. Biker doesn't hunt using a bow or firearm - he uses knives. It's quiet, efficient, and "personal" when he dives down onto a deer. They never know what hit them. After he's dispatched his prey, he blesses it and gives thanks to the gods by offering up the animal's innards and bathing in its blood.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 6:24:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Personally, I'm not sure if I'm ready for a tree stand yet. They kind of scare the shit out of you in the hunter safety course. Also, with this being my first year I'd like to spend more time on the ground looking at tracks and that kind of a thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

deer hunting from a tree gives me the best vantage point. you will be surprised what you can see what when you are up in the air, compared to on the ground . 95% of the deer ive shot was from a tree stand, the rest were flukes and getting lucky .  there aren't piles of deer in this state compared to what you see out west on the tv shows. they make it seem you can drop a blind on the edge of a corn field and deer will just congregate around you. although that may work out there, ive had no good experiences hunting from a ground blind in this state. maybe others have.

you have to work with their best senses, sight and smell. i know there are some piles of scent blocker sprays and clothes out there. i dont buy into them much. i use a spray before i walk in and thats about it.  you need to play the wind to truly block your scent from being picked up. as far as sight goes, even the best camo cant hide movement. they see everything, and they see you before you see them. i will gladly work with you with a tree stand if you want some more time with them to feel comfortable.

dont be afraid of hunting state land. ive hunted it most of my life and have shot some great deer. you just need to put in a lot of time scouting ahead of the season. when i was single without kids this was a lot easier then now a days. get in the woods now and scout. look for runs, deer shit, scrapes . try and see if you can see a pattern in deer moment. ive been able to do this without game cameras on state land. just takes some time and research on areas.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 6:26:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Pick soft natural feeling cloth.  Quiet.  Run your fingernails down it. Does it sound like a zipper?  If so move on.

Move slow.  Look around.    Look for things that don't fit.    Horizontal lines in a vertical word, movements, flicks,  

Hunt squirrels.

Get binoculars.
View Quote

squirrel hunting is probably the most fun on the planet. i still go a few times a year
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 7:12:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
k
squirrel hunting is probably the most fun on the planet. i still go a few times a year
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hunt squirrels.

Get binoculars.
k

I love squirrel hunting.  Until I started up with waterfowl again I hunted mostly squirrel for the past 15years.

I never had a place to put deer after I got them but squirrel always fit in my freezer.

I usually see a few deer and don't really even try to,  I think I'm going to grab a tag this year and bring some slugs along..  

Link Posted: 8/8/2016 8:07:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I love squirrel hunting.  Until I started up with waterfowl again I hunted mostly squirrel for the past 15years.

I never had a place to put deer after I got them but squirrel always fit in my freezer.

I usually see a few deer and don't really even try to,  I think I'm going to grab a tag this year and bring some slugs along..  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hunt squirrels.

Get binoculars.
k

i used to do this a lot during slug season . squirrel hunt until i saw a deer . never got a shot on one but it was always a fun hunt. hear some rustling in the leaves thinking its a squirrel and its a deer. your heart starts thumping out of your chest.  where do you hunt?
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 8:08:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Anything that breaks up your pattern is gtg.
Most animals can not see a full spectrum of colors. Different species are drawn to certain wave lengths of light.
I've never used a scent-lok product, or variant.
My gear stays in a charcoal gear/laundry bag.
I don it after spraying it with odor neutralizer and them rubbing it on the ground. This is after getting out of the car or hunting cabin.

As said before, move slowly and keep the wind at your face.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 8:14:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Thanks guys, there seems to be a lot more hunters than I thought in here and seems like a lot of great advice.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 8:56:52 AM EDT
[#25]
I thought you have to wear Hunter Orange for hunting.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 8:59:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

not for spring turkey or bow hunting for deer/turkey in the fall.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 10:31:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Few other exceptions too.

Crow hunting and waterfowl hunting from blinds or stationary positions.
Night coon hunting

I always have a orange vest with me for walking in and out and anytime I'm moving.  I usually have a hat or bandanna too and will wrap it around my kill.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 10:46:53 AM EDT
[#28]
how about some trail cam pics

this is from the guide where im going in illinois

Link Posted: 8/8/2016 12:13:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Damn, that looks like it will be a good trip!

Might as well ad another photo or 2 to this thread. Here is the bow I picked up. I got it used from hall's arrow in Manchester, it is a hoytt power hawk bone collector edition. It has truglow sights and a drop away arrow rest, I definitely prefer this over a wisker biscuit.

" />
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 12:24:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Those are nice!

You asked before where I hunt.  State land, usually naugatuck sf but want to try camp Columbia this year too.
View All Quotes

i hunt mostly old lyme or killingworth
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 12:25:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Might as well ad another photo or 2 to this thread. Here is the bow I picked up. I got it used from hall's arrow in Manchester, it is a hoytt power hawk bone collector edition. It has truglow sights and a drop away arrow rest, I definitely prefer this over a wisker biscuit.

http://<a href=http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p772/Tbr1806/Mobile%20Uploads/1470659282_zpsd6fpiz9o.jpg</a>" />
View Quote

one of the halls guys hunts with a whisker biscuit because hes lazy . shoots deer all the time though.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 9:43:16 PM EDT
[#33]

Not for nutten, but I've harvested deer shortly after work dresses like this. Key is to limit your movement.

My pops always made fun of me for buying all my hunting camo. They didn't have thay stuff back in the day and they all got deer
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 9:48:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

one of the halls guys hunts with a whisker biscuit because hes lazy . shoots deer all the time though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://<a href=http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p772/Tbr1806/Mobile%20Uploads/1470659282_zpsd6fpiz9o.jpg</a>" />

Wisker biscuit = lazy? Can you explain? (Serious question) my buddy has one and while they work I prefer a drop away.

Are you talking about the old did from MA? He seems to know his shit (I could be completely wrong as I know absolutely nothing)
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 10:42:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Wisker biscuit = lazy? Can you explain? (Serious question) my buddy has one and while they work I prefer a drop away.

Are you talking about the old did from MA? He seems to know his shit (I could be completely wrong as I know absolutely nothing)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Biscuit = untuneable but simple. Distance shots >20 become somewhat unpredictable especially in colder weather due to the stiffening of the biscuit hairs, worse in cold damp conditions where freezing is possible. Also limits your vane choice somewhat, biscuits do better with blazer type vanes. Bigger vanes result in more contact and greater variance of the shot group.

There are 3 post capture rests that are better, you have shaft contact with the guides but no vane contact so less group variance. Similar to the old 2 prongers but your arrow wont fall off the rest.

Drop away is far superior, when fired nothing touches the arrow except the string. Tuneable, full capture (arrow wont fall out) and resistant to freezing (quality ones, there are junk dropaways). It really boils down to accuracy, you will always get better groups with a dropaway over any distance.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 11:21:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Thanks for the info.

Hmm...that makes me wonder if I have a "good" drop away or not.

Mine hooks the arrow top and bottom and has some adjustment notches on the side for height varience. I'm guessing it's one of the better ones (probably no where near the best) . it's nice because when I nock the arrow and draw back the drop away "lifts" and pulls the arrow into place
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 8:10:08 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Biscuit = untuneable but simple. Distance shots >20 become somewhat unpredictable especially in colder weather due to the stiffening of the biscuit hairs, worse in cold damp conditions where freezing is possible. Also limits your vane choice somewhat, biscuits do better with blazer type vanes. Bigger vanes result in more contact and greater variance of the shot group.

There are 3 post capture rests that are better, you have shaft contact with the guides but no vane contact so less group variance. Similar to the old 2 prongers but your arrow wont fall off the rest.

Drop away is far superior, when fired nothing touches the arrow except the string. Tuneable, full capture (arrow wont fall out) and resistant to freezing (quality ones, there are junk dropaways). It really boils down to accuracy, you will always get better groups with a dropaway over any distance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

this is a way better explanation then i ever could have given
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 8:18:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Thanks for the info.

Mine hooks the arrow top and bottom and has some adjustment notches on the side for height varience. I'm guessing it's one of the better ones (probably no where near the best) . it's nice because when I nock the arrow and draw back the drop away "lifts" and pulls the arrow into place
View Quote

thats a drop away and how its supposed to work. dont fuck with it if halls set you up on paper. once its set, leave it.

it looks like a trophy ridge from the picture which is what i run. they are decent although they have had issues with reputability . dont stress about any of your equipment now. get a few seasons under your belt and a couple 1000 arrows flung
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 8:23:38 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Thanks for the info.

View Quote

It looks like you have a Trophy Ridge, but I cant tell which specific one. Like any other manufacturer, they make good and bad ones. Difficult to tell from the pic. Either way you are ahead of the game as any dropaway is superior to a biscuit IMO.

Your group looks pretty solid. Keep practicing, the season is just over a month away, I cant wait. It was a horrible year last year with the weather and the abundance of food. Fewest deer taken overall in my lifetime in Fairfield county.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 8:58:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

It looks like you have a Trophy Ridge, but I cant tell which specific one. Like any other manufacturer, they make good and bad ones. Difficult to tell from the pic. Either way you are ahead of the game as any dropaway is superior to a biscuit IMO.

Your group looks pretty solid. Keep practicing, the season is just over a month away, I cant wait. It was a horrible year last year with the weather and the abundance of food. Fewest deer taken overall in my lifetime in Fairfield county.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks for the info.

Thanks for all the info, seems like you have a good knowledge of bows. I will be practicing almost every night (once the kids go to bed) until the start of the season. I have a little over 30yards in my back yard so it is a good area to practice, I know of one 3D shoot coming up and I'm hoping to go to 1 or 2 more before the beginning of the season.  I'm hoping with some patience and luck I'll be able to see a few deer this year, even if I don't get to take a shot at it, talking to people about last year make me depressed and i wasnt even out there haha.

Bikerman - I definitely won't be adjusting the drop away, I wouldn't even know where to begin. The guys at halls do a very good job at getting beginners set up and they have come highly recommended to me by quite a few people. I would say its a good starting point for someone who wants to get into archery, they even have a decent selection of used bows so you're not spending crazy money to start.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 11:33:29 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Thanks for all the info, seems like you have a good knowledge of bows. I will be practicing almost every night (once the kids go to bed) until the start of the season. I have a little over 30yards in my back yard so it is a good area to practice, I know of one 3D shoot coming up and I'm hoping to go to 1 or 2 more before the beginning of the season.  I'm hoping with some patience and luck I'll be able to see a few deer this year, even if I don't get to take a shot at it, talking to people about last year make me depressed and i wasnt even out there haha.

Bikerman - I definitely won't be adjusting the drop away, I wouldn't even know where to begin. The guys at halls do a very good job at getting beginners set up and they have come highly recommended to me by quite a few people. I would say its a good starting point for someone who wants to get into archery, they even have a decent selection of used bows so you're not spending crazy money to start.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks for the info.

If you are gonna stand hunt make sure you spend some time shooting from the stand before the season starts, its a different shot from an elevated position. Same goes for a blind, set up a blind in the yard and shoot from it before going into the woods.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 11:45:46 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 11:51:32 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

If you are gonna stand hunt make sure you spend some time shooting from the stand before the season starts, its a different shot from an elevated position. Same goes for a blind, set up a blind in the yard and shoot from it before going into the woods.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks for the info.

Thanks, I probably hunt from a blind this year. I'll have to get a tree stand and play around with it but I don't have any trees left in my yard, bikerman took my last one
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 11:56:48 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Thanks, I probably hunt from a blind this year. I'll have to get a tree stand and play around with it but I don't have any trees left in my yard, bikerman took my last one
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks for the info.

ya but it would have been an easy one to set up on when laying on the ground
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 11:57:53 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
A few years back I shot this deer with my Hoyt bow (also originally from Hall's) at a measured 42yards, I simply opened the back sliding door, stepped out onto the deck, and let the arrow fly

http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/xx78/Andrapos/BackyardDeer_zps8sznv6mc.jpg
View Quote

I see deer on my street all the time on the backside of the park going through the cemetary, I wish one would walk through my back yard haha
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 12:01:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 12:01:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haha this is true and I wouldn't have to worry about falling far if something happened.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 12:09:25 PM EDT
[#48]

Is that a doe with her fawn?
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 12:23:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Is that a doe with her fawn?
View All Quotes

nope, its a doe on my feed block

i feed them for the fun of it. there are a ton in my neighborhood. ive done a bit of hunting at the end of my street but not a lot.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 12:49:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top