Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2016 11:19:48 AM EDT
http://ccdl.us/blog/2016/02/09/lawsuit-update/
The following is a statement from CCDL president Scott Wilson and lead attorney David Thompson.

On Thursday (2/11/2016) CCDL along with the other name plaintiffs will be filing our request for the United States Supreme Court to take up our case on appeal (Shew v Malloy).

This is an important moment in the case. Our appeal is going to focus on the ban on so-called assault weapons, but we want to emphasize that we haven’t given up in any way, shape, or form on the challenge to the magazine ban.

We remain fully committed to ensuring that the magazine ban is thrown out. But we want to give the Supreme Court a menu of options – so our petition will focus on the ban on safety enhancing features, and we expect that a subsequent petition in the New York case will focus on both magazines and the banned features.
Rest assured that if the Supreme Court wants to take up both issues (firearms and magazines), it will have the ability to do so, and that whatever ruling comes from the Court on magazines will redound fully to the benefit of Connecticut.

More information about the petition will be available on Thursday after it is filed with the Court.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:22:56 AM EDT
[#1]
this could set the stage for a train wreck
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:29:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:48:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
this could set the stage for a train wreck
View Quote

Chances are incredibly slim the high court would hear the appeal. They've refused to grant other cases recently including one that was in direct violation of Heller (San Fran gun lock). But if the court did take on the CT AWB challenge then yes it has the potential of being a train wreck if the court sides with the gun grabbers and rules intermediate scrutiny can apply rather than strict scrutiny..
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:48:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Are we implying the train hasn't already wrecked?
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:56:37 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm confused. So we shouldn't flight through the courts because we might lose? If we don't we are guaranteed to keep these laws..
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 12:21:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm confused. So we shouldn't flight through the courts because we might lose? If we don't we are guaranteed to keep these laws..
View Quote

if we loose it could set the stage for a national mess. we are a tiny part of the nation.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 12:31:20 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
if we loose it could set the stage for a national mess. we are a tiny part of the nation.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

While that would suck, open aggression against basic constitutional rights may wake a lot of people up. I think the mentality has changed since the first AWB.

Eta: It is also inevitable that AWBs will spread to other states unless stopped the courts. The welfare class and D voting block in this country will never stop growing. They have the unlimited resource of government money to raise generations of their D voting crotch fruit. The red vote is seeing its twilight. Might as all try to lock down our rights in the courts before its gone awayway.

Cities will grow bigger, urban sprawl will increase. We're not voting out the politicians that pass this shit.

EtaX2: And frankly we have a better chance of a ban getting ruled unconstitutional nationally now than trying in 20 years when 15 different metro-states have bans and they can raise doubt's about "common usage", and we are sure and truly fucked.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 12:33:26 PM EDT
[#8]
What I don't get is why don't they wait to see what happens with the Maryland case before moving forward...shouldn't they be waiting to hear whether or not strict scrutiny should be applied before moving ahead with this? Or am I missing something?
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 12:45:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What I don't get is why don't they wait to see what happens with the Maryland case before moving forward...shouldn't they be waiting to hear whether or not strict scrutiny should be applied before moving ahead with this? Or am I missing something?
View Quote

I would like to believe this is being considered and accounted for. IMO strict scrutiny is necessary for even a chance at success. Since the judge has already said yes it's absolutely an infringement of your rights but think of the chirren.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 12:47:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

the incoming president, whoever it will be could possibly be naming 4 new supreme court justices. 4 seat holders are over the age of 80.

this could shape our future to a crumble

maybe they want this in sooner rather then later.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:42:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Train (AWB) has already wrecked for CT, but not for the nation as a whole.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:47:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think there is a time limit on how long they can wait to file an appeal. I agree though, the ruling out of Maryland has a lot of good stuff in it to help the case...
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:59:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You mean again?

I understand where you guys are coming from but I'm with HappyCamel on this. At no point do I think rolling over and taking it is a real option. If the rest of the country is concerned then they need to get in on the fight over here.

I'm not going to sit here and pretend I know better than the lawyers who are spending all their time and focus on this. If this is what they think needs doing, then here is my money, you're the only chance we have. I'm sure as fuck not getting in the corner with the guys laying down or complaining about the only real and tangible effort.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:19:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
At no point do I think rolling over and taking it is a real option.
View Quote

Neither do I. The fracked up reality is that challenging what seems to be a simple clear cut right to the highest court does carry risks. For us, the risk they'll uphold the AWB. For the anti gunners the court will strike down the AWB. Problem is, here in CT, we'll never get enough non progressive legislators to overturn the law legislatively. So our only solution (other than moving out) is to fight in court.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:20:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You mean again?

I understand where you guys are coming from but I'm with HappyCamel on this. At no point do I think rolling over and taking it is a real option. If the rest of the country is concerned then they need to get in on the fight over here.

I'm not going to sit here and pretend I know better than the lawyers who are spending all their time and focus on this. If this is what they think needs doing, then here is my money, you're the only chance we have. I'm sure as fuck not getting in the corner with the guys laying down or complaining about the only real and tangible effort.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You mean again?

This.

Full speed ahead
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 5:04:28 PM EDT
[#16]
I really hope for the best. But scary to think it can backfire on the rest of the U.S.
I wonder if SCOTUS will hear it? Is there a time frame for them to decide?
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:04:20 PM EDT
[#17]
We need to fight this at the state level and dump all this money towards elections the courts will not rule in our favor.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:08:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
We need to fight this at the state level and dump all this money towards elections the courts will not rule in our favor.
View Quote

It's amazing. Voting is free and typically happens close to your house, and could possibly correct all of this. Yet is one of the least possible options because people are too lazy and think voting doesn't work.

It does if every one would just show up and Fing vote!
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:19:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It does if every one would just show up and Fing vote!
View Quote

The problem in this state will always be the suburbs trying to overcome the large progressive democratic voting block in the five big cities. In recent elections those five cities have each brought 15,000 or more Democratic votes than Republican votes to the table. Even with 100% turnout it will be difficult for the suburbs to overcome 45,000 or more votes for Democrats. Progressives know this which is why they focus all their efforts into urban cities to get the vote out. But yes voter turnout has often been less than 70% sometimes under 50%.

A secondary problem is many Democrats vote based on party/candidate ideology. They vote as a collective block when they actually get out and vote. Independents and republicans not so much. Many Republicans vote based on the individual and won't vote for a candidate if a candidate doesn't hold all the same views as they do.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:21:07 PM EDT
[#20]
fuck it, I want to watch the world burn.  Lets do this!!

get rid of our ban or take the entire country down with us hahah.  I want to tell someone from Texas that I don't care about his rights or a federal ban because I already have my own.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 9:23:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Fight on.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 9:57:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

While that would suck, open aggression against basic constitutional rights may wake a lot of people up. I think the mentality has changed since the first AWB.

Eta: It is also inevitable that AWBs will spread to other states unless stopped the courts. The welfare class and D voting block in this country will never stop growing. They have the unlimited resource of government money to raise generations of their D voting crotch fruit. The red vote is seeing its twilight. Might as all try to lock down our rights in the courts before its gone awayway.

Cities will grow bigger, urban sprawl will increase. We're not voting out the politicians that pass this shit.

EtaX2: And frankly we have a better chance of a ban getting ruled unconstitutional nationally now than trying in 20 years when 15 different metro-states have bans and they can raise doubt's about "common usage", and we are sure and truly fucked.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly how I feel on this as well.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:16:59 PM EDT
[#23]
This country is moving very fast toward a communist state.

We have nearly 50% of the people on government assistance of some sort.

We have so many rules and people scream "there should be a law....." everyday. Nobody take responsibility for their actions. They expect the government to handle it.

The young people, for the most part, want the free shit commies promise.

The media is no longer a NEWS outlet but rather a propaganda outlet. Look at the headlines on CNN vs. Fox. it is obvious.

Our schools no longer teach, they indoctrinate.

Everyone gets a trophy mentality has overtaken competition.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 8:35:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
This country is moving very fast toward a communist state.

We have nearly 50% of the people on government assistance of some sort.

We have so many rules and people scream "there should be a law....." everyday. Nobody take responsibility for their actions. They expect the government to handle it.

The young people, for the most part, want the free shit commies promise.

The media is no longer a NEWS outlet but rather a propaganda outlet. Look at the headlines on CNN vs. Fox. it is obvious.

Our schools no longer teach, they indoctrinate.

Everyone gets a trophy mentality has overtaken competition.
View Quote

How true
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 2:55:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

get rid of our ban or take the entire country down with us hahah.  I want to tell someone from Texas that I don't care about his rights or a federal ban because I already have my own.  
View Quote

Amen to that! That'll knock the cocks outta their mouths. The whole thinking they are untouchable shit drives me nuts.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 3:27:20 PM EDT
[#26]
What is old is new? There was an appeal in 94-ish. Big win...got rid of AK-47 "type" for a while. That was it.
What is the desired end-state?
We quibble about the rope we're hung with.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 3:54:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

QFT, Let's get it on!
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 6:34:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Amen to that! That'll knock the cocks outta their mouths. The whole thinking they are untouchable shit drives me nuts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh but first I'll rape him on a few stripped AR lowers for $400 in the pannic that I paid $50 each for.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 1:03:33 PM EDT
[#29]
well you can kiss that one goodbye now that Scalia as passed.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 9:23:04 PM EDT
[#30]

Ayup. I read he wanted to take up the Maryland AWB thing.

We're fucked now. Time to curl up, cry, and just waste away as the libtards legislate all our rights away. We lost. I apologize to the rest of the country, once the supreme court upholds the ban and a ton of states start enacting their own bans.

Link Posted: 2/15/2016 10:13:13 PM EDT
[#31]
There will be a moment when our voices will be heard one day and in one way, or another. History tends to repeat itself.

I hope this shit gets over turned, but as of this moment we are even more fucked.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 8:17:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
We're fucked now. Time to curl up, cry, and just waste away as the libtards legislate all our rights away. We lost. I apologize to the rest of the country, once the supreme court upholds the ban and a ton of states start enacting their own bans.
View Quote

How fucked we are remains to be seen. If the Republican Sentate folds (and I suspect they just might) and Obama gets to seat an extreme far left gun hating Justice then it is very bad not just for the 2nd Amendment but for many other legal issues and rights. The liberals on the court will quickly and gleefully revisit the court's previous Heller and McDonald rulings/opinions if they are given the chance to overturn it.

Fact is that outside of NY, CT and one or two other liberal states, the 2nd Amendment right is advancing not retreating.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 8:38:14 AM EDT
[#33]
2nd amendment will be rewritten
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 9:52:14 AM EDT
[#34]
IT WAS OVER Along time ago. NO chance it would be changed. NONE
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top