Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/18/2015 9:01:22 AM EDT
So, I go to a game dinner once a year and they have a raffle for shotguns and such. I don't have my long gun certificate and I don't have my ccw, if I were to win a gun, could I still recieve it?
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:09:00 AM EDT
[#1]
In short, no.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:29:37 AM EDT
[#2]
You wouldn't be able to take possession of it, at this time.

You may be able to work out arrangement for a dealer to hold onto it until you get your credentials in order- though that would be contingent on getting a cooperating dealer and the raffle holder being open to the idea.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:48:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Now are private transfers of long guns legal in ct, and if I don't have the credentials can a firearm be given to me by a family member?

I already own a multitude of guns, but since the passing of the new laws in ct I need the credentials to buy a gun. Hypothetically could my grandfather give or sell me his old deer gun?
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:50:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Private transfers are allowed. You have to call the state to get an authorization number. In order to take possession of grandpa's old deer rifle you will need a CT long gun certificate.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:51:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So, I go to a game dinner once a year and they have a raffle for shotguns and such. I don't have my long gun certificate and I don't have my ccw, if I were to win a gun, could I still recieve it?
View Quote

I highly suggest taking your pistol permit course through that club. It will show them that you want to support the club in another way which gives them more of a reason to hold it for you.  That's my opinion

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:03:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Now are private transfers of long guns legal in ct, and if I don't have the credentials can a firearm be given to me by a family member?

I already own a multitude of guns, but since the passing of the new laws in ct I need the credentials to buy a gun. Hypothetically could my grandfather give or sell me his old deer gun?
View Quote

That all depends on who is doing it. If they are an old timer and not like the laws. It's an old gun. You could have gotten it before April 2013 before the laws. No one knows.  Depends on who is going to be honest. But you need to make that decision. What you decide to do is your deal.
If you properly follow the law you need to transfer long guns now through the state and need a cert for long guns or pistol permit. Pistol permits are more worth it for the money.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:04:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Now are private transfers of long guns legal in ct...
View Quote

Face to face private transfers/sales are legal and have been prior to 4/4/13. Only difference post 4/4/13 is the requirement for the buyer or person receiving the long gun to have one of the relevant permits/certificates to obtain long guns. Thw seller also has to call for a sales authorization number  and file the relevant paperwork/forms with the state. Prior to 4/4/13 no paperwork and or permits were required for ftf sales or transfers.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:18:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I highly suggest taking your pistol permit course through that club. It will show them that you want to support the club in another way which gives them more of a reason to hold it for you.  That's my opinion

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you are 21+ taking the pistol course is the easiest way to go. You can get either a carry permit or pistol eligibility certificate. (The only time that I would recommend an over 21 get a long gun certificate is if he already has a hunter safety card and wants to avoid taking another course)

If you are under 21, your only option is a long gun certificate. My understanding is that the 2 currently approved courses are hunter safety and NRA Basic Rifle Shooting. Both are fairly hard to find.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 6:08:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I am looking into a ccw but I am unsure of what I have to do to complete the process. Do the letters of recommendation have to be in depth and original? How long is the wait period? I have all kinds of questions...
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 6:26:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I am looking into a ccw but I am unsure of what I have to do to complete the process. Do the letters of recommendation have to be in depth and original? How long is the wait period? I have all kinds of questions...
View Quote

I didn't need a letter of recommendation. Depends on the town. Go to your local PD and ask for the pistol permit application. Should have a cover sheet when you need to supply with it and stuff.

For me, it was the 2 checks, copy of birth cert, drivers license and copy of NRA pistol course cert. then wait.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:01:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

My town required letters when I got mine.

I had a few friends write letters addressed to the Chief of my local PD describing me as a mature, responsible person who they believed would be a proper and suitable person to possess a pistol permit. The letters were about a half page each. The detective who handled the application called the folks who wrote my letters.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:21:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Most PD's will give you a permit without the "letter of recommendstion"
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:22:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Have to be that guy.... again We do not have a "ccw" permit in Connecticut. What we have is a permit to carry pistols and revolvers. The word conceal is NOT mentioned anywhere on the permit. Once can open carry or conceal carry, there is no statute that mandates method of carry, only that you have a valid pistol permit on you when carrying.

Second, see the following links for more information on pistol permits, and the fact that one DOES NOT need to provide the extra requirements (letters of reference, in person interview, interviewing neighbors, etc.) some towns ask for. Keep in mind however that a town may reject or delay your application if you fail to bend a knee to their demands that are above and sometimes way beyond what the state statutes mandate. Quite a few towns, typically the larger liberal cities, often take upwards of 4 to 6 months or longer to approve an application rather than the 8 week statutory time frame. If rejected or if the town doesn't issue the temporary permit within the eight week mandated statutory time frame you can appeal to BFPE. But note that the backlog on appeals are running a year and a half or more.

Sec. 29-28. Permit for sale at retail of pistol or revolver. Permit to carry pistol or revolver. Confidentiality of name and address of permit holder. Permits for out-of-state residents.
Special Licensing and Firearms Connecticut State Pistol Permit
DPS-769-C Instructions to Applicants & Photo Pistol Permit Schedule
The Board of Firearm Permit Examiners (BFPE)
BFPE ruling that a town/city's "extra requirements" are not a reason to deny an applicant: DECLARATORY RULING: Pistol Permit Application/ Information
CCDL Permit Issues
CT Carry (click on Permits menu link for various information on permits)
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:46:01 PM EDT
[#14]

you can take the course and get a pistol eligibility cert while waiting for your carry permit if your town has long wait times and you want possession asap.

I got my ammo cert the day I went down there, not sure if you have to wait for the eligibility certs. there is language that says 60 or 90 days for a decision, I don't remember.

I got my temp permit in 4 weeks

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:50:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
you can take the course and get a pistol eligibility cert while waiting for your carry permit if your town has long wait times and you want possession asap.

I got my ammo cert the day I went down there, not sure if you have to wait for the eligibility certs. there is language that says 60 or 90 days for a decision, I don't remember.

I got my temp permit in 4 weeks

View Quote

Ammo certificate is while you wait, like you said. My brother's took a little over an hour. (They mentioned something about an issue when they were doing the BG check).

My understanding is that there is a delay on initial issue eligibility certificates (for processing fingerprint BG checks), but renewals are while you wait (like pistol permits).
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:06:17 PM EDT
[#16]
My son who turned 18 in June of 2014 got his long gun certificate last summer. You take a NRA rifle class and then apply in person in Middletown. It took about a month for it to arrive.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top