Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 164
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 11:35:07 AM EDT
[#1]
If you like squid there is something on the menu called caramalized squid or something like that...it's spicy.  It's unbelievable.  Guaranteed you've never had squid like this before.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 11:49:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JohnsMyName:
Haha, was it the supply of celery and nuts or the framing nail spikes keeping him in there? Did you give him a hand?
View Quote

Nuts were supplied for him while I was planning a rescue plan. Anyhow, he hit my glass door on the way out....even though, it was wide opened.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 1:43:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bending_rodriguez] [#3]
One of you guys asked to see my driveway....here's the nightmare....Im so damn tired of falling down trying to clear my driveway every 3 days  Its getting old quick..

Oh and I need group8 to school me on my snowblower
Im so glad I went with the track drive a year or two ago, whenever I asked for advice here.  Without it, I wouldnt have made it through 2 winters here so far.

Yes the Fit is mine and the Jeep is my wife's.

Link Posted: 2/10/2015 1:49:57 PM EDT
[#4]
That was me, damn you weren't kidding!

I'm surprised that little red car makes it up. Nice Jeep and snow blower by the way.

Link Posted: 2/10/2015 1:57:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By bending_rodriguez:
One of you guys asked to see my driveway....here's the nightmare....Im so damn tired of falling down trying to clear my driveway every 3 days  Its getting old quick..

Im so glad I went with the track drive a year or two ago, whenever I asked for advice here.  Without it, I wouldnt have made it through 2 winters here so far.

http://i61.tinypic.com/2u978si.jpg
http://i60.tinypic.com/260sfg9.jpg
http://i59.tinypic.com/291gc3o.jpg
http://i62.tinypic.com/339u3on.jpg
http://i61.tinypic.com/a48x74.jpg

View Quote

that doesn't lookTHAT bad
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 2:00:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bending_rodriguez] [#6]
I'm surprised that little red car makes it up. Nice Jeep and snow blower by the way.

View Quote

I thought it was you, but I didnt want to make a mistake haha

Yea, the one good thing is when its sunny in the morning it melts very quickly because the driveway faces the east, but it needs to be sunny and close to the freezing point.  Not cloudy and 10 degrees outside  

The Fit, is pretty terrible for this driveway, and just in general.....In the spring I think we'll put it for sale, and get my wife a wrangler also.  Having the ability to put a vehicle in 4 LOW helps a lot for this driveway.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 2:11:27 PM EDT
[#7]

http://i61.tinypic.com/2u978si.jpg
http://i60.tinypic.com/260sfg9.jpg
http://i59.tinypic.com/291gc3o.jpg
http://i62.tinypic.com/339u3on.jpg
http://i61.tinypic.com/a48x74.jpg

View Quote

Nice pad.  I did the brown contemporary thing too.

Don't make excuses for the fit.  If you must drive a small car, that's the one to have.   I just wish you could order them with the 2.0l out of the civic Si.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 2:17:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 2:17:32 PM EDT
[#9]
That is a fucking awesome snowblower! Does it have a cup holder?
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 2:19:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Typhoid70:

Not just by my own tastes, but the tastes of 2nd generation Vietnamese Americans, yes.

But you have to get there early sat for spicy beef.  They usually sell out by 11.   Sunday is chicken, and same story.  Out by 11.  Keep in mind that Pho is a breakfast food in Vietnamese cusine.

Also be forewarned that 501 serves one thing.   Beef pho.  (Spicy beef And chicken are on the menu sat and Sunday respectively).  They will add shrimp to the beef pho.   They also have all sorts of weird peppers and meat looking things that the Vietnamese customers order off their secret Menu.   But the dish doesn't change.   They do offer spring rolls as well.

My suggestion for you djc, venture in during normal hours.   Large beef,  iced coffee (this is important), ask for extra lime slices, some fish sauce, and birdshead peppers, and water.    When the bowl comes, squeeze  lime into bowl (toss rind in bowl), fish sauce (don't smell it, this is important) break the peppers up and add to bowl (don't pick your nose for remainder of day), skip the basil, toss the sprouts on top, add siracha and go to town.   Take the little dish on the side and add that purple hoisin sauce and siracha to that.  When you get to a strip of beef, fish it out and run it through the hoisin/siracha dip.   When the sweat beads start rolling, reach for the iced coffee, it's magical.   You will leave feeling like Jesus on cocaine.

I'm there at least once a week.  They hooked me up this Sunday after closing hours and made sure I had the last bowl of the day.  But I will assure you that I won't be there at the same time as you.  And if I do happen to spot you, I promise I won't make it awkward.. I'll just blend in with the Pratt Rats as best as a guy wearing Allen Edmonds can do.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By conndcj:
Originally Posted By MC1974:
nothing beats saturday morning at Pho501 for spicy beef and side of raw meat with siracha for breakfast. might do it again this weekend

<a href="http://s1244.photobucket.com/user/mcorentin/media/PHO_zpsbcevo0mb.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg567/mcorentin/PHO_zpsbcevo0mb.jpg</a>

I've never had pho and really want to try it.  That spicy beef one looks awesome.  There's a bunch of pho restaurants in the greater Hartford area.  Is that one of the better ones?

Not just by my own tastes, but the tastes of 2nd generation Vietnamese Americans, yes.

But you have to get there early sat for spicy beef.  They usually sell out by 11.   Sunday is chicken, and same story.  Out by 11.  Keep in mind that Pho is a breakfast food in Vietnamese cusine.

Also be forewarned that 501 serves one thing.   Beef pho.  (Spicy beef And chicken are on the menu sat and Sunday respectively).  They will add shrimp to the beef pho.   They also have all sorts of weird peppers and meat looking things that the Vietnamese customers order off their secret Menu.   But the dish doesn't change.   They do offer spring rolls as well.

My suggestion for you djc, venture in during normal hours.   Large beef,  iced coffee (this is important), ask for extra lime slices, some fish sauce, and birdshead peppers, and water.    When the bowl comes, squeeze  lime into bowl (toss rind in bowl), fish sauce (don't smell it, this is important) break the peppers up and add to bowl (don't pick your nose for remainder of day), skip the basil, toss the sprouts on top, add siracha and go to town.   Take the little dish on the side and add that purple hoisin sauce and siracha to that.  When you get to a strip of beef, fish it out and run it through the hoisin/siracha dip.   When the sweat beads start rolling, reach for the iced coffee, it's magical.   You will leave feeling like Jesus on cocaine.

I'm there at least once a week.  They hooked me up this Sunday after closing hours and made sure I had the last bowl of the day.  But I will assure you that I won't be there at the same time as you.  And if I do happen to spot you, I promise I won't make it awkward.. I'll just blend in with the Pratt Rats as best as a guy wearing Allen Edmonds can do.

I'm here now

I don't see djc but I do see some plainclothes guys (maybe visiting the CSP union across the st?)

Link Posted: 2/10/2015 2:41:38 PM EDT
[#11]

I'm here now

I don't see djc but I do see some plainclothes guys (maybe visiting the CSP union across the st?)

View All Quotes
nothing beats saturday morning at Pho501 for spicy beef and side of raw meat with siracha for breakfast. might do it again this weekend

<a href="http://s1244.photobucket.com/user/mcorentin/media/PHO_zpsbcevo0mb.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg567/mcorentin/PHO_zpsbcevo0mb.jpg</a>

I've never had pho and really want to try it.  That spicy beef one looks awesome.  There's a bunch of pho restaurants in the greater Hartford area.  Is that one of the better ones?

I'm here now

Nope. Not there today. Nice shoes BTW.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 2:56:22 PM EDT
[#12]

View All Quotes

I'm here now

Thanks.  First pair after a decade of Italian Johnson & Murphy.  But It's army surplus boots today in the muck though.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 3:31:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bending_rodriguez] [#13]
Typhoid....the brown house in the pic is actually my neighbor across the street, I'm UP on the hill

I'm just not a big fan of Hondas.  When I'm driving I like to scream America!  And I just cant bring myself to do that in a honda.  

Zeger....short answer yes, long answer, no.

Link Posted: 2/10/2015 4:20:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Mickey Blakes in Southington.  Nice place to spend a snowy Sunday.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/Mobile%20Uploads/20150208_172150_zps2d2mbhs4.jpg
View Quote

I love Mickey Blakes, I was a member there early on. we used to do an open carry poker night. Since having my son, I just don't have the time to get there enough. I would join your for a cigar there anytime. Lots of good gun folks there as well.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 6:48:31 PM EDT
[#15]

I'm here now

View Quote

I must have just missed you, I was there from 12:00 to 12:45.

First I'd like to thank you guys for the recommendation. MC1974 the raw beef and siracha was great. Typhoid, great call on both the iced coffee and hoisin sauce, both of which I never would have thought of. I really liked the place and will deffinitely be back to try spicy beef soup, spring rolls and ox tail. That said I think that the broth at Pho Boston was better, was a little richer tasting. Also I like the tendon and tripe in with my beef, which I didn't see at 501 (although I didn't ask).

Great lunch, can't wait to go back!

Link Posted: 2/10/2015 6:57:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Raw beef? How's that taste? It does look very tasty.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 7:14:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnsMyName] [#17]
Tastes like the center of a rare hamburger lol. It is just a very clean and light beef flavor. The best part of it is temperature and texture. I like the cool beef with the hot (spicy) Chile sauce. Hot (spicy) and hot (temperature) can be overwhelming sometimes. I think it let's you taste more when the hot temperature isn't a factor. I also like raw beef with not spicy things too, the texture is smoother and softer. People get all freaked out, but if it's fresh you won't get sick.

ETA: Raw diced beef with capers, red onion, good olive oil and a raw egg yolk all mixed up is absolutely fantastic!

Link Posted: 2/10/2015 7:29:07 PM EDT
[#18]

First I'd like to thank you guys for the recommendation. MC1974 the raw beef and siracha was great. Typhoid, great call on both the iced coffee and hoisin sauce, both of which I never would have thought of. I really liked the place and will deffinitely be back to try spicy beef soup, spring rolls and ox tail. That said I think that the broth at Pho Boston was better, was a little richer tasting. Also I like the tendon and tripe in with my beef, which I didn't see at 501 (although I didn't ask).
http://i1310.photobucket.com/albums/s658/Johnsmyname/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20150210_174541_zps6c389bf5.jpg

View All Quotes

I'm here now

http://i1310.photobucket.com/albums/s658/Johnsmyname/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20150210_174541_zps6c389bf5.jpg

Damn I think a trip to pho boston is in order for tomorrow.

Link Posted: 2/10/2015 8:22:12 PM EDT
[#19]

Tastes like the center of a rare hamburger lol. It is just a very clean and light beef flavor. The best part of it is temperature and texture. I like the cool beef with the hot (spicy) Chile sauce. Hot (spicy) and hot (temperature) can be overwhelming sometimes. I think it let's you taste more when the hot temperature isn't a factor. I also like raw beef with not spicy things too, the texture is smoother and softer. People get all freaked out, but if it's fresh you won't get sick.  

ETA: Raw diced beef with capers, red onion, good olive oil and a raw egg yolk all mixed up is absolutely fantastic!

View Quote
Haha yep I kinda freaked when I seen "raw"  . Just haven't had raw beef since I was a kid eating raw Hamburg . There is a pho right here in Windsor locks . I just haven't gotten to it. I know exactly where this one is that you ate at.  Gonna have to try it next.

Link Posted: 2/10/2015 8:59:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Mak90ncheese:
Haha yep I kinda freaked when I seen "raw"  . Just haven't had raw beef since I was a kid eating raw Hamburg . There is a pho right here in Windsor locks . I just haven't gotten to it. I know exactly where this one is that you ate at.  Gonna have to try it next.  
View All Quotes

Really?!  Haven't ever had beef carpaccio?
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 9:05:34 PM EDT
[#21]
View Quote

Wait a minute.  I thought you guys were getting the sidedish of beef raw to add to the hot soup and slowly cook it.  Raw?  In East Hartford?  No f-ing way.

But I'm still going this weekend.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 9:43:39 PM EDT
[#22]

Wait a minute.  I thought you guys were getting the sidedish of beef raw to add to the hot soup and slowly cook it.  Raw?  In East Hartford?  No f-ing way.

View All Quotes

cmon, live a little
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 9:44:27 PM EDT
[#23]

View All Quotes

That's what I was thinking about the meat too.

Link Posted: 2/10/2015 9:57:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 10:17:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnsMyName] [#25]

View All Quotes

I'm still alive and well with no issues 10 hrs in.

Also the waiter knew exactly what I meant and didn't bat an eye.

ETA: Sliced meat is one thing, ground is totally another. Also the place is so busy that product isn't sitting around much.

Link Posted: 2/10/2015 10:23:51 PM EDT
[#26]
it doesn't have time to spoil their turn over is so fast. good waiter. i eat it sometimes twice a week and never had issue. give it a try. its worth it. might have to go tomorrow again. late lunch when not so busy.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 10:25:48 PM EDT
[#27]
i eat it raw all the time never had an issue. their turn around is so fast it couldn't spoil. just try it once. u will get it again. maybe do late lunch tomorrow when the lunch rush slows down.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 10:31:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Andrapos:

Max Amore in Glastonbury has a fantastic raw beef appetizer.  Definitely not East Hartford!
View All Quotes

Max Amore in Glastonbury has a fantastic raw beef appetizer.  Definitely not East Hartford!

Carpaccio . It's frigging delicious . I had it about a month ago. Fresh parmesan with arugula . I could eat a bucket of that shit  
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 10:34:20 PM EDT
[#29]

it doesn't have time to spoil their turn over is so fast. good waiter. i eat it sometimes twice a week and never had issue. give it a try. its worth it. might have to go tomorrow again. late lunch when not so busy.
View Quote

Haha, I might see you there, I'm already jonesing!

Link Posted: 2/10/2015 10:35:22 PM EDT
[#30]

View All Quotes

Max downtown had a beef tartar that is unbelievable too. The mix the chopped meat with horseradish and cream fresh with pea greens and a raw quail egg on top  . I need an iv of it
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 11:07:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: edgephoto] [#31]

Yea, the one good thing is when its sunny in the morning it melts very quickly because the driveway faces the east, but it needs to be sunny and close to the freezing point.  Not cloudy and 10 degrees outside  

The Fit, is pretty terrible for this driveway, and just in general.....In the spring I think we'll put it for sale, and get my wife a wrangler also.  Having the ability to put a vehicle in 4 LOW helps a lot for this driveway.
View All Quotes

Funny that your snow blower or thrower has a bigger engine than your car.

What made you buy the Fit? Do you work for Ringling Bros. and get a discount? You can buy a real car that gets better fuel economy. Aside from Lexus and Acura the road noise is deafening in most Jap cars.

Although if you drive a Jeep Wrangler then I guess the Honda sounds quiet.

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 6:17:56 AM EDT
[#32]

View All Quotes

No I haven't. I'd try anything though.

I was thinking the same thing about the hot soup cooking the meat.

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 6:26:16 AM EDT
[#33]
This looks fucking amazing to me

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 7:39:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Gross. I'd eat the bread, though.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 7:42:08 AM EDT
[#35]
the bread smeared with raw beef and egg
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 8:02:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 8:05:34 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By zegermanznew:
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 9:33:17 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By bikerman9967:

Carpaccio . It's frigging delicious . I had it about a month ago. Fresh parmesan with arugula . I could eat a bucket of that shit  
View All Quotes

Is it finely chopped?
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 9:34:53 AM EDT
[#39]

Max downtown had a beef tartar that is unbelievable too. The mix the chopped meat with horseradish and cream fresh with pea greens and a raw quail egg on top  . I need an iv of it
View All Quotes

That is the only way to do it

I'd argue the pea greens and creme overdoes it even.  

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 9:49:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Typhoid70] [#40]

View All Quotes

I'm here now

Le's is another Vietnamese place just north of 501 a mile or so on Main St in East Hartford.

They feature a full menu.   I suggest the Bun, which is vermicelli served cold with  hot grilled beef and chopped spring rolls served over it with veggies.    The woman who runs it is a saint and will generally share some house hot sauce, offer a free appetizer, cold drink, and always cake at the end of the meal.  Oh yeah, Patsy Cline playing on the stereo the entire time.   Neat atmosphere.  Makes you feel like a guest in their home.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 10:40:16 AM EDT
[#41]

http://www.tonysofcincinnati.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/beef-tartare-369.jpg
View Quote
I'd try that.

Boy,for a gun forum you guys are very sophisticated whenit comes to food, a far cry from the burger crowd.

That is not a jab at all. I knew this would be a place to go for info on firearms, but food that's an added bonus!

MHC turned me on to a Thai place that I brought my wife to, that was a home run . I don't think she will go for raw food but I would give it a try!

Thank you guys!

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 10:43:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Typhoid70] [#42]
I'd try that.    
Boy,for a gun forum you guys are very sophisticated whenit comes to food, a far cry from the burger crowd.
That is not a jab at all. I knew this would be a place to go for info on firearms, but food that's an added bonus!
MHC turned me on to a Thai place that I brought my wife to, that was a home run . I don't think she will go for raw food but I would give it a try!
Thank you guys!

View All Quotes

http://www.tonysofcincinnati.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/beef-tartare-369.jpg
I'd try that.    
Thank you guys!

Burgers?

Katsup & Mustard
Main st Manchester

Order rare
Order parmasean fries with the dips
Order soda (hosmer mountain on tap )
Order bacon

Thank me later

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 10:50:51 AM EDT
[#43]

Is it finely chopped?
View All Quotes

Is it finely chopped?

thin sliced
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 10:52:26 AM EDT
[#44]

Burgers?

Katsup & Mustard
Main st Manchester

Order rare
Order bacon

Thank me later

View All Quotes

I'd try that.    
Thank you guys!

Burgers?

Katsup & Mustard
Main st Manchester

Order rare
Order bacon

Thank me later

their ahi tuna burger is way better then any beef burger
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 10:55:33 AM EDT
[#45]
Oh yeah I've been to the catsup and mustard already!

I had the seven burger rare

Cheddar and buffalo fries (I finished my wife's Parmesan french fries )

I didn't have soda I had a pioneer IPAI believe it was called.

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 10:56:43 AM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

best burgers on the shoreline is haywire burger in westbrook. give it a try
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 10:58:49 AM EDT
[#47]
I love tuna
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 11:02:57 AM EDT
[#48]

View All Quotes

I will write that down so I won't forget. I wrote down all the restaurants that were recommended to me by hardcore and another CTHTF member and I will add this one to it

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 11:19:51 AM EDT
[#49]
I will write that down so I won't forget. I wrote down all the restaurants that were recommended to me by hardcore and another CTHTF member and I will add this one to it  
View All Quotes

another amazing burger joint i know of is in groton. its a scummy looking place really, but the burgers are top notch. moe's burger and brew. ive eaten almost all of them on the menu
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 11:36:15 AM EDT
[#50]
Harry's

Colchester

Duh
Page / 164
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top