Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/26/2014 6:55:42 PM EDT
I going down to visit some friend sin Southern KS and might cross the border into Ok and was wondering if it's legal to carry a loaded rifle in my truck as long as I have a Carry permit? I read the laws but couldn't quite make them out.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 7:47:43 PM EDT
[#1]
That would be a negative on carrying a loaded long gun, even in the trunk.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 9:22:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I thought I remembered it being ok if no round is chambered but I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 9:33:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I thought I remembered it being ok if no round is chambered but I could be wrong.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are correct. Must have empty chamber.

http://www.ok.gov/osbi/documents/SDA_Lawbook_NOV_2013.pdf

TITLE 21 § 1289.7 FIREARMS IN VEHICLES

Any person, except a convicted felon, may transport in a motor vehicle a rifle, shotgun or pistol, open and unloaded, at any time. For purposes of this section “open” means the firearm is transported in plain view, in a case designed for carrying firearms, which case is wholly or partially visible, in a gun rack mounted in the vehicle, in an exterior locked compartment or a trunk of a vehicle.

Any person, except a convicted felon, may transport in a motor vehicle a rifle or shotgun concealed behind a seat of the vehicle or within the interior of the vehicle provided the rifle or shotgun is not clip, magazine or chamber loaded. The authority to transport a clip or magazine loaded rifle or shotgun shall be pursuant to Section 1289.13 of this title.

Any person who is the operator of a vehicle or is a passenger in any vehicle wherein another person who is licensed pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act to carry a handgun, concealed or unconcealed, and is carrying a handgun or has the handgun in such vehicle, shall not be deemed in violation of the provisions of this section provided the licensee is in or near the vehicle.

TITLE 21 § 1289.13 TRANSPORTING A LOADED FIREARM

Except as otherwise provided by the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act or another provision of law, it shall be unlawful to transport a loaded pistol, rifle or shotgun in a land borne motor vehicle over a public highway or roadway. However, a rifle or shotgun may be transported clip or magazine loaded and not chamber loaded when transported in an exterior locked compartment of the vehicle or trunk of the vehicle or in the interior compartment of the vehicle notwithstanding the provisions of Section 1289.7 of this title when the person is in possession of a valid handgun license pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 11:52:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Seems I should have been more specific.... No long guns with a cartridge in the chamber.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 5:19:03 AM EDT
[#5]
thanks guys. When I do keep a long gun behind the seat I never have the chamber loaded, just the mag.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 1:39:15 PM EDT
[#6]
just remember that it will only be legal if you have a valid carry permit
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 4:47:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

yep, got one. I thought I was ok but the way everything was worded made me second guess what I thought.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:55:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

yep, got one. I thought I was ok but the way everything was worded made me second guess what I thought.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, there are sections prohibiting it and then the exceptions are listed. I'd keep my long guns cruiser safe when in the vehicle anyway.

Don't forget that Oklahoma is a shall notify state.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:18:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Loaded, but chamber-empty is legal.  

It is a good idea to keep a long gun chamber-empty until you know you're imminently going to use it, anyway...not that I think there should be a law dictating it, though.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top