Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 3/19/2014 9:53:20 AM EDT
A buddy told me a new indoor range will be opening in Gainesville sometime this year.
Anyone hear likewise?

Elite Shooting Sports
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 10:16:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Very interesting. Would most likely use a lot. Especially if they really do have a 100 yard range.
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 10:18:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Website looks good...
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 10:28:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Hmm.. yes, very interesting.

Reasonable annual membership fee, too w/no additional per-use charge.

I sent them an e-mail asking a few Q's:  Holster draw OK?  Full-auto OK?  Any restrictions on ammo (steel case; steel core bullets), etc.  Will post when they reply.
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 10:32:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Holy shitsnacks, definitely not NMCI friendly...they must be doing something right!!!
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 10:53:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Looks good for new shooters.

I just can't stand static and punch paper indoors.
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 11:24:41 AM EDT
[#6]
They did state to me that they would be NFA friendly - is they really turn out to be then I'm joining for sure.
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 4:28:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Here's the reply I just received to my earlier query to them:

Hello Mr. Gary123,

We are very excited to get this range open also!    I hope to answer all  your questions below:

1)  You will be able to draw from a holster, STRONG side ONLY.  We don't want any muzzle pointing going on, so it will be strong side only holster draws.

2)  Full- auto will be permitted at DESIGNATED times only.  We will post those times that it will be allowed as soon as we work out a complete schedule of the range.

3) We will accept all rounds up to and including, .50 caliber.  The restrictions will be, shotguns-SLUGS ONLY, NO steel core or armor piercing ammunition will be allowed on the range.

I do hope this answers all your questions.

We look forward to seeing you on the range!  (currently slated to open our doors September 2014)

Regards,
--
Elite Shooting Sports

I asked a follow-up question about ammo -- if they consider Wolf, Tula, Barnul, and the other Russian bi-metal bullet ammo to be steel core/AP, since some ranges don’t allow any ammo attracted by a magnet, even though they are not really 'armor piercing.'  Standing by for their response.
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 8:43:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
A buddy told me a new indoor range will be opening in Gainesville sometime this year.
Anyone hear likewise?

Elite Shooting Sports
View Quote

Sweeeeeet!  Much close than NRA HQ.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 9:16:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I drive by the place were they are building. Pad is not even poured yet. Road to it is done. I will be surprised if it opens in 2014. I have done build outs before with existing buildings and it took 8-10 months to be done correctly. The last one I did, the owner was a Multi millionaire and money was not an option. Our annual sales were $36 million. It was in the custom car and restoration industry. JFWIW
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 9:36:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd be interested. I moved here almost 2 years ago and haven't shot around here a single time, other than training at AP Hill. I can't get motivated to pay a lot and be around crowds. I've been limited to every few months when I go home.
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 10:08:03 PM EDT
[#11]
webpage and building rendering look almost identical to colonial in Richmond.  wonder if it's the same ownership?  if so I wonder why they wouldn't name it the same as they've done for the tidewater location.
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 11:38:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I also drove by recently and saw nothing but graded dirt!

I too, cannot image this range being up and running anytime this year.

This facility is incredibly ambitious.  I hope that doesn't ultimately work to it's detriment.

Link Posted: 3/20/2014 7:03:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
webpage and building rendering look almost identical to colonial in Richmond.  wonder if it's the same ownership?  if so I wonder why they wouldn't name it the same as they've done for the tidewater location.
View Quote

My understanding is that Gregg Woddak, former manager of NRA range is heading it up.  Dont know if he has any connection to colonial or not, but I'm pretty sure he doesn't donate money to Obama and Hillary.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 8:11:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

My understanding is that Gregg Woddak, former manager of NRA range is heading it up.  Dont know if he has any connection to colonial or not, but I'm pretty sure he doesn't donate money to Obama and Hillary.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I was very pleased to see that Greg was driving the bus on this one.  He will do a good job on running it, and I'll be in line for a membership when they get to that point.  Having the right people in charge makes a huge difference.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 8:46:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is there a colonial owner who donates to D's?
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 12:51:22 PM EDT
[#16]
I plan on going but probably paying the hourly fee as I don't see myself going over 17 times a year.  
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 2:41:09 PM EDT
[#17]
This is great news, I can't wait. Looks like a great facility that is in high demand in this area.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 6:30:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No didn't mean to disparage Colonial, I know nothing about them.  I was referring to a couple of other ranges in NOVA which shall not be named.
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 3:43:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Good to see a new range open. I can tell you the shooting sports in NoVA have seem to become MUCH MUCH more popular . ~15 years ago the NRA range and Blue Ridge were hardly ever "packed" . Now they are almost always full as well as some of the other new ranges (Like SEG )
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 9:19:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Hi Folks,

I haven't been posting on here because I am waiting to become an industry partner/sponsor but hopefully the admin and other industry folks will not get too mad at my avatar and kick me off my intentions certainly are good. Just to clear up a few things about Elite Shooting Sports. This is not associated with any other range a completely separate and silent investor group who believe in my vision. It is nothing like CSA in Richmond however ironically I did consult on their new range opening next month in Virginia Beach and hopefully get the opportunity to work with them again on their future projects. We have been held up by this wet weather just my luck I picked VA's wettest winter to start my project. We need to bring in a lot of fill dirt. We were able to do the road using a drying agent however county code prevents us from using the same drying agent on the lot. Meeting with the GC's yesterday and today we are still on track for a mid to late September opening as long as we stay relatively dry for the next week or so.  The outer shell of the building and range structures will be up in 4 months. We have a lot of range equipment going in, over 10 tractor trailer loads with a 2 month install so we will be working on that while the interior is being finished up. I know you guys will love it and I hope you view as your range. Any questions please feel free to contact Mandy at [email protected]. I am looking forward to seeing old friends and making new ones. BTW I would like to go on record. No I have not contributed Obama and no I will not be contributing to the Hillary Clinton campaign lol...
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 9:43:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Hi Folks,

I haven't been posting on here because I am waiting to become an industry partner but hopefully the admin will not get too mad at my avatar and kick me off. Just to clear up a few things about Elite Shooting Sports. This is not associated with any other range a completely separate and silent investor group who believe in my vision. It is nothing like CSA in Richmond however ironically I did consult on their new range opening next month in Virginia Beach and hopefully get the opportunity to work with them again on their future projects. We have been held up by this wet weather just my luck I picked VA's wettest winter to start my project. We need to bring in a lot of fill dirt. We were able to do the road using a drying agent however county code prevents us from using the same drying agent on the lot. Meeting with the GC's yesterday and today we are still on track for a mid to late September opening as long as we stay relatively dry for the next week or so.  The outer shell of the building and range structures will be up in 4 months. We have a lot of range equipment going in, over 10 tractor trailer loads with a 2 month install so we will be working on that while the interior is being finished up. I know you guys will love it and I hope you view as your range. Any questions please feel free to contact Mandy at [email protected]. I am looking forward to seeing old friends and making new ones. BTW I would like to go on record. No I have not contributed Obama and no I will not be contributing to the Hillary Clinton campaign lol...
View Quote

Thanks for the info , hopefully the mods will cut you a little slack for this

Link Posted: 3/28/2014 10:13:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Can't wait for you to open, as I work just across the street
I'll watch the build
Good luck
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 10:26:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Welcome to ARFCOM and looking forward to it
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 7:00:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Hi Folks,

Just a little update we poured the first of three slabs last week. The rain storm this past week made a mess of the site but we are working hard to stay on track for the end of September. Last weekend we were at the Nations Gun show spreading the word about the facility and a few questions kept coming up that I would like to clarify. First we are not affiliated, linked, associated, or financially supported with any other range or range investor group in any way shape or form what so ever, period end of story. Second, folks seem to think just because the facility is really nice it is going to be some high dollar VIP Members only range that are so popular now days. Nothing could be further from the truth, I'm a shooter, I've been a shooter my whole life, like many of you my father started me shooting at young age. He gave me my first 22 rifle when I was 8 years old. I can remember times in my life when I couldn't find a place to shoot and that is something I will never forget. Our range is a place where everyone is welcome, we don't sell special  " VIP " memberships because everyone is a VIP to us. The good folks of NOVA deserve a really nice place to shoot, constructed, equipped and staffed the right way.  Just because our air handling system actually works as designed doesn't mean you have to pay through the nose for it, figuratively or literally. Our prices are extremely competitive with other ranges in the area, check them out at eliteshootingsports.com. One thing you can be sure of, I will work my tail off to make your visit with us the best that it can be. For those of you interested in following the progress you can do so by liking us on FB at www.facebook.com/EliteShootingSports. As always if you have any questions feel free to contact Mandy at [email protected].
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 11:55:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Hi Folks,

Just a little update we poured the first of three slabs last week. The rain storm this past week made a mess of the site but we are working hard to stay on track for the end of September. Last weekend we were at the Nations Gun show spreading the word about the facility and a few questions kept coming up that I would like to clarify. First we are not affiliated, linked, associated, or financially supported with any other range or range investor group in any way shape or form what so ever, period end of story. Second, folks seem to think just because the facility is really nice it is going to be some high dollar VIP Members only range that are so popular now days. Nothing could be further from the truth, I'm a shooter, I've been a shooter my whole life, like many of you my father started me shooting at young age. He gave me my first 22 rifle when I was 8 years old. I can remember times in my life when I couldn't find a place to shoot and that is something I will never forget. Our range is a place where everyone is welcome, we don't sell special  " VIP " memberships because everyone is a VIP to us. The good folks of NOVA deserve a really nice place to shoot, constructed, equipped and staffed the right way.  Just because our air handling system actually works as designed doesn't mean you have to pay through the nose for it, figuratively or literally. Our prices are extremely competitive with other ranges in the area, check them out at eliteshootingsports.com. One thing you can be sure of, I will work my tail off to make your visit with us the best that it can be. For those of you interested in following the progress you can do so by liking us on FB at www.facebook.com/EliteShootingSports. As always if you have any questions feel free to contact Mandy at [email protected].
View Quote

Thanks for the update.  Looking forward to it.  It's a bit far from my place, but if it's a good facility, it will be worth the drive.
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 9:37:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Can't wait - since I work across the street I've been checking on the progress every once in a while.
Let those of us know that don't frequent Facebook any updates and also when  you will be opening up sales of  memberships
Good Luck
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 1:31:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Tagged in.  Can't wait.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 6:41:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Tagged.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 8:40:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Tagged.  I find myself driving through Gainesville quite often, so when they're up and running I will definitely check out the range.  I would be happy to give my range money to a business that doesn't support the politicians trying to strip away our 2A rights.
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 12:24:18 PM EDT
[#30]
If you guys are ever in Sterling area you guys should check out Sudden Combat. We have extreme tactical laser tag with M4 Replicas that have blow-back for every time you fire! It feels like real life when your playing!
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 3:08:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Everything about this range sounds great.  It is also right on time for a few reasons:

-there is demand because most other indoor places have to run wait lists, especially on the weekends

-there are MANY new gun owners since 2012/ early 2013, and its my hope that they become shooters as well as owners

-as this winter reminded us, you cannot always count on being able to shoot outdoors (unless you like shooting over snow).

It is also good to see the range management start off on the right foot with the experienced shooting community in NOVA - unlike certain other local businesses.  

From what I have heard so far, I am planing to use this new range once it opens.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 10:45:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Hi Folks, Just wanted to let everyone know things are moving along with the construction at a rapid pace which is now a few weeks ahead of schedule. Our GC along with theirs subs are doing an awesome job of keeping us on track despite all the wet weather we have had over the last few weeks the outside walls are up as well as most of the range structures and they are hanging steel now. We should be under roof by the end of June, range equipment starts showing up in July. Hopefully we can stay on track for the October 4 opening. Thanks again for all the kind words and support and if you have any questions please feel free to contact us at [email protected]
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 11:19:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Thanks for the update and looking forward to the open!
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 11:29:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Thanks for the update and looking forward to the open!
View Quote

/\ this
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 2:09:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Can't wait to have a range in my area!
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 11:30:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Agreed...having to haul out 66 sucks, but for 100 yards it's worth it for some zeroing time and distance work.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 9:04:00 PM EDT
[#37]
I took a few of Greg's classes when he was at the NRA. Very interesting.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 10:13:50 AM EDT
[#38]
Drove by yesterday and saw what looked like a complete building.  However, is there also construction going on next door?  Or is it the worlds biggest parking lot?

Wonder if we can get semi-regular updates?  ESS-1?
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 12:23:34 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm excited for it. Sharpshooters is too small
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 12:51:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

The last TWO times I was there the lights weren't working correctly.  One bay had lights #1 and #2 working, but not #3 (the 25 yard light).  It was busy and I couldn't move.  I can't shoot in the dark!  How is that acceptable?  WAS NOT HAPPY.  Kinda why I paid for a yearly membership - to use it.  The other time, a guy rigged it with duct tape.  Not ideal, but at least he gave a shit and really tried to help me (and did).  And these were two different lanes!  I usually go every Friday, and it's been hotter and hotter in there as the outside temp increases.  That place is falling apart, but the people have always been really nice in my experience.

But I'm ready for a legit range.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 3:14:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

The last TWO times I was there the lights weren't working correctly.  One bay had lights #1 and #2 working, but not #3 (the 25 yard light).  It was busy and I couldn't move.  I can't shoot in the dark!  How is that acceptable?  WAS NOT HAPPY.  Kinda why I paid for a yearly membership - to use it.  The other time, a guy rigged it with duct tape.  Not ideal, but at least he gave a shit and really tried to help me (and did).  And these were two different lanes!  I usually go every Friday, and it's been hotter and hotter in there as the outside temp increases.  That place is falling apart, but the people have always been really nice in my experience.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

QFT. The employees there are generally excellent, seems like they need to put some more money updating/upgrading the range. Getting tired of black boogers after I shoot.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 4:21:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
QFT. The employees there are generally excellent, seems like they need to put some more money updating/upgrading the range. Getting tired of black boogers after I shoot.
View Quote

Haha!  Thought that was just me.  
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 9:13:54 PM EDT
[#43]
I drive by the area where this new range is going in at everyday on the way home from work.  But there are two buildings going up, does anyone know which one is the new range?  One is close to Balls Ford and the other is behind all the other buildings.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 8:58:57 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I drive by the area where this new range is going in at everyday on the way home from work.  But there are two buildings going up, does anyone know which one is the new range?  One is close to Balls Ford and the other is behind all the other buildings.
View Quote

That's exactly what I'm talking about.  There is a lot of construction going on all in the same area.  Looks like multiple buildings very close to each other.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 9:03:56 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So true.  Never mind the fact that the customer service at sharpshooters varies wildly based upon who's there.  Definitely looking forward to another option.  
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 9:25:31 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I can't shoot in the dark!  How is that acceptable?  WAS NOT HAPPY.
View Quote

Use your HD/SD pistol and light combo and work on target ID and lighting/shooting techniques?
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 9:26:45 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not to mention their rule about not being allowed to carry into their store.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 9:51:26 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Use your HD/SD pistol and light combo and work on target ID and lighting/shooting techniques?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can't shoot in the dark!  How is that acceptable?  WAS NOT HAPPY.

Was shooting my AR with Red Dot - and I'm color blind.  I was triple F'ed.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 9:51:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Hi Folks,

I'm crazy busy as I'm sure you all can imagine but wanted to give you an update on how the range is coming along. The ranges for the most part complete we poured the last concrete lid this past week. We still have to do a complete air seal around them but for the most part every thing is pretty well good to go. The decking is going up on the roof of the main structure we should be dried in by the end of next week. This is a big week for us as the framing for all the classrooms, offices and retail area will begin, prep work for the range equipment and range HVAC begins next week as well. Really excited things are starting to come together so far we are still slightly ahead of schedule. It's amazing how fast this thing is going up, I give all the credit to our awesome GC. As I mentioned before the big thing concern here is the range equipment install. I think between all the concrete and steel we are putting in this building we have to be setting some kind of record for total building weight for a building our size. FYI, I believe in the philosophy an armed society is a polite society so LE and CCW can enter the facility hot. Just be mindful, for obvious safety reasons you are not allowed to carry hot in certain areas of the facility where dry fire exercises may take place such as the classrooms, dojo and simulator room. Our air handling system is state of the art and maintains a perfect 71 degrees year around. As far as lights on the range go you may as well be shooting outdoors we have so many lights installed on the range and if that isn't enough each target carrier is equipped with an on board 660 lumen LED light. We are getting a trailer by the end of the month to start selling annual memberships and range orientations for folks interested it getting that taken care of before opening. I will let everyone know when we are up and running with that. I will also do my best to continue with the updates and I hope to see everyone come out and enjoy the new facility.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 10:04:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Drove by yesterday and saw what looked like a complete building.  However, is there also construction going on next door?  Or is it the worlds biggest parking lot?

Wonder if we can get semi-regular updates?  ESS-1?
View Quote

I wish that was my parking lot although we will have plenty of parking that site work you are seeing is just some prep work for two future buildings. They are not happing anytime soon it's just my good friends from FRP Development believe in taking advantage of the nice weather and planning ahead.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top