User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 6/9/2005 5:29:19 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/9/2005 5:55:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm in ... with a friend

Think my Mazda Tribute (Ford Escape) 4WD will be enough to get back there ?

ETA: I am going Saturday only.
Link Posted: 6/9/2005 6:00:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/9/2005 6:14:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I am going to try my best to come.  I may bring the girlfriend or another shooting buddy.  I don't know about the camping part...I will know more once the date gets closer.  I would also be more than happy to bring a couple pounds of hamburger meat and hotdogs.  I guess once the date gets closer we will know what will be needed, but I am more than willing to help clean up and do a little cooking.
Link Posted: 6/9/2005 7:00:31 PM EDT
[#4]
 I'm in. I'll be camping out, 3/4 mile from the firing line doesn't sound bad. Excerise is good. I'll have a hand truck avaliable to loan out. More to follow as the shoot develops. Some kind of cover sounds like a must.  
Link Posted: 6/10/2005 4:23:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Im in , my friends nick and maybe Carl . Jim let me know on if I got approval to spray 24d or  genric round up for a walking path, and a insectiside in the camping area. I also can bring 30 gal plastic drums for trash and brass barrels , I need to know how many is going to be needed though.
Link Posted: 6/10/2005 9:11:39 AM EDT
[#6]
I should be there (as much as I can commit a month and a half away!)

I still hope to bring some target stands and tables and should be able to help out as an RSO.  Now if I could just fit my swimming pool in the truck

Black Fox
Link Posted: 6/10/2005 10:50:36 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm down +a buddy. Hope my honda can make it. Cant wait. -rw
Link Posted: 6/10/2005 11:57:08 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm going to go ahead and say I'm in even though I have no idea where I'll be working or what my schedule will be like in July

I'll bring stuff to clean up brass and a canopy for shade.  More than likely I'll drive up early Saturday morning.  I can also swing by BJs and pick up a few bulk packages of hot dogs and some chips.
Link Posted: 6/10/2005 1:21:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I've got a big tarp.  I think it's about 25-30 ft dia.  I also have some nasty bug killing stuff if needed.
I live in Hopewell.  I may be able to come out before hand and help out.  Let me know.

ETA:  I'll be there Saturday with my 2 brats, I mean kids.
Link Posted: 6/10/2005 6:38:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I might be in for Saturday the  23rd.  
Link Posted: 6/11/2005 6:10:45 AM EDT
[#11]
I might be in Kalifornia that week... I need to double check, but otherwise I should be in; at least for 1 day.
Link Posted: 6/11/2005 4:15:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Donating my Dodge 4x4 for transport to and from parking area to the range, just purchased 4 GMRS 10 mile radios and will provide Communications for the shoot.

Will also provide large trash bags, how many brass buckets should I bring??

Anyone have access to a large grill? My grill hit the skids in the last rain-wind storm. RIP

I am talking 55 gallon style grill since a house grill takes for ever to cook on, the larger the better.
Link Posted: 6/11/2005 5:14:06 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Donating my Dodge 4x4 for transport to and from parking area to the range, just purchased 4 GMRS 10 mile radios and will provide Communications for the shoot.

Anyone have access to a large grill? My grill hit the skids in the last rain-wind storm. RIP

I am talking 55 gallon style grill since a house grill takes for ever to cook on, the larger the better.

if your looking for a big grill.let me know i think i can get one but someone will have to pick it up and tow it........
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 3:52:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 5:24:11 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Hey LRT Do you know where we can rent a large grill

DRUFF
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 8:02:11 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

if your looking for a big grill.let me know i think i can get one but someone will have to pick it up and tow it........

Tow it is no problem! You have seen the White Stallion

My insurance covers anything legal on the hitch as well.
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 8:03:00 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

DRUFF

Looking now!

I see me behind the meat fork now
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 10:03:47 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll call my brother-in-law and see if i can used it I'll let you know...just to let you know it's in ladysmith,VA
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 10:31:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Hey if we can find a big grill I'll bring a couple of trays of bratwurst, onions and peppers.  I'll just add some beer and we'll let them simmer for a couple of hours!  That should make the ride home or a night in the tent interesting  
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 11:07:55 AM EDT
[#20]
this is about the size of the one am trying to get.
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 11:10:56 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Hey if we can find a big grill I'll bring a couple of trays of bratwurst, onions and peppers.  I'll just add some beer and we'll let them simmer for a couple of hours!  That should make the ride home or a night in the tent interesting  

Link Posted: 6/12/2005 3:19:22 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How about we do a tray with just onions and another tray with onions and peppers?
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 3:36:20 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll call my brother-in-law and see if i can used it I'll let you know...just to let you know it's in ladysmith,VA

It is on the way for me, not a problem but I do want to make sure the tires and bearings are good and need to know what ball hitch it takes, etc.

BIG GRILL needs a Hawg on it!
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 3:49:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 3:50:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 3:52:37 PM EDT
[#26]
This sounds like an awesome time.
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 4:00:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 4:04:58 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
. Link to original thread.

What's up with that link?

That's what happenes when you have to many browser windows open when you try to copy and paste an address.

I can't beleive that you are the first person to mention it.  

That's because he's the only one that actually reads your post.  The rest of us know better

Link Posted: 6/12/2005 4:11:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 4:23:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Okie dokie who is gonna keep count of folks coming?

How about our hawg? Any ideas? Who is gonna kilt it, gut it, skin it out and all? I got dibs on the feets.

How are we gonna do this? Do we set up an account, or designate a collection agent? I can get us some hawg from up the road here. Who is a good organizer?

We also need some good BBQ sauce recipies?

Who knows for sure how to cook a hawg?

Gimme some ideas.

Link Posted: 6/12/2005 4:33:21 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

How about our hawg? Any ideas? Who is gonna kilt it, gut it, skin it out and all? I got dibs on the feets.

How are we gonna do this? Do we set up an account, or designate a collection agent? I can get us some hawg from up the road here. Who is a good organizer?

Gimme some ideas.

I can go form start to finish on a hog, but for the conditions it would not be prudent since there are many steps in sanitation involved.

Best bet is one from the market cleaned and ready, figure 125 pounds of whole hog pre-cooked for 20 people servings.

I can cook it but it does take anywhere from 15 to 20 hours form start to finish, kind of one of those love of hog deals.

I also have my BBQ recipe sauce and others; I have cooked more hawg than I care to remember.
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 4:57:34 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Gimme some ideas.

I can go form start to finish on a hog, but for the conditions it would not be prudent since there are many steps in sanitation involved.

Best bet is one from the market cleaned and ready, figure 125 pounds of whole hog pre-cooked for 20 people servings.

I can cook it but it does take anywhere from 15 to 20 hours form start to finish, kind of one of those love of hog deals.

I also have my BBQ recipe sauce and others; I have cooked more hawg than I care to remember.

I LOVE LRT!!! Now there's a real reg'lar guy!!!

I was kiddin' about the guttin'.... serious though... Do you think we could cook a hog? Or should we go with some Tennessee front shoulder BBQ, or some BUTT? We'll have plenty of help so no one gets stuck basting while everyone else is blasting. Are you going to camp over night?
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 5:57:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Count me in ...

I can bring som food (bratworst and stuff), trash bags, I think I can lay my hands on a canopy, hauling it to range area would be an issue without help, donation on site is no problem.  

I think it would be good for the "food organizer" to have a paypal account we could contribute to (I know I'd be willing to throw in some).

Last but not least, any thoughts to competitions?
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 6:23:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 6:40:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Where's Druffik? And Highwayman? They were going to help with the cooking too. They suggested a paypal account. There's a packing place right here (Smithfield & Prudens & Edwards, a bunch of them).

Once we decide on what we all want to do I can pick up the meat from them. Should we vote or something, or just do it and have evryone kick in for it?

Also Hawk_308 is going to help too, so we can get all our cooking crew lined up.
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 1:46:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Just a thought ...

Set up a Paypal account now, while people are contributing we discuss what to have and who's cooking, we vote from 7/1 - 7/3, take one day to assess results, and the cooking team decides what we have.

The value of the Paypal account will determine a lot of what we can have ... post the balance just before the vote with some examples of what that will buy (how much is that hog anyway)?

Just my $.02

Oh... BTW ...  I'd be more than willing to help cook.
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 2:22:50 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Just a thought ...

Set up a Paypal account now, while people are contributing we discuss what to have and who's cooking, we vote from 7/1 - 7/3, take one day to assess results, and the cooking team decides what we have.

The value of the Paypal account will determine a lot of what we can have ... post the balance just before the vote with some examples of what that will buy (how much is that hog anyway)?

Just my $.02

Oh... BTW ...  I'd be more than willing to help cook.

(how much is that hog anyway)? I haven't checked, someone said about a buck per pound, also figure a pound per person.

We need to get a count on who is coming FOR SURE, then let them vote, then purchase what they want. How do paypal accounts work anyway? As for the "may be comings" we'll just have to have them pitch in if they show up (and hope there's enough left to feed them).

But say for instance we only have 20 guys saying they are coming for positive, then we a limited by what we can purchase, right? EXAMPLE: 20 guys at $10.00 each for food is $200.00, right?

I'll just have to go back through the threads and see who said they'll be here for sure, then call around for the hog/shoulder, butt prices & etc. and take it from there. That should give us some idea?

Also this: If we do a hog, we're gonna have to have the cooker on Friday afternoon, aren't we?

LRT: When are you figuring to arrive?

Anyone have any other ideas?
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 4:12:02 AM EDT
[#38]
I went through all the threads, so far as of right now, we have 24 total stating they will be here for sure.

We also have 23 who "would like to come" but cannot commit as of yet. Tonight I will type up all the names for both categories and post them. Then we should start our chow line up becuause we sure don't want a whole lot of details left until the last minute.

WE NEED A VOLUNTEER MONEY COLLECTOR (OR SOMETHING) FOR THE FOOD, CHARCHOL, ETC.!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 4:30:16 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

DRUFF

Looking now!

I see me behind the meat fork now

I too have no Problem cooking either. I enjoy cooking! ! ! !

DRUFF
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 4:33:37 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I live in Fredericksburg hopefully to be Spotsylvania soon .  I can see if Highwayman would be able to tow the grill down.

DRUFF
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 5:24:38 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Gimme some ideas.

My suggestion for the food thing is someone bring Lots of HOT DOGS, Small steaks, Hamburgers, maybe ribs or a brisquet.  I dont know but I am thinking about making a large thing of Chilli if anyone is interested or would want something like that.  Let me know.

DRUFF
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 5:27:10 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
So LRT, are volunteering to be the food organizer for the event?

Highwayman, Myself and if LRT doesn't mind Could head the cooking thing.

DRUFF
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 5:36:19 AM EDT
[#43]
It’s been a long time so research this first.

Pig in the ground...side dishes optional. 1 pig of course, BBQ sauce at least a gallon. Add sauce after cooking.
Heavy chicken wire, burlap sacks (washed and rinsed), long handled shovels, heavy gloves.
Dig a pit about 3 feet deep 3 feet wide 5 feet long leaving the dirt beside it.
Build a fire in the hole, big fire. Use hard wood, oak or hickory no pine.
While the fire burns down but the burlap in a tub full of water to soak.
Lay the pig on a sheet of wire with another sheet on top. Stitch or tie both sides of the sheet (chicken wire) don‘t use twist ties. Let both ends extend a foot or two past the pig.
When the fire burns down, no or almost no flame move about a third of the coals to the sides. (long handled shovels)
Layer wet burlap over the coals place pig on top and cover with more wet sacks (do this fast).
Shovel the extra coals on top and cover the whole thing with dirt.

Shoot all day. At least 8 hours. Remove dirt and coals from top lift the wire sheets (heavy gloves) and set pig on table. Cut wire and Pig Out!

Have someone keep an eye on the fire pit in case critters try to dig into it.  

note: if the pig is cooking in the same area the kegs are located check back every hour or so. (not on the pig but the people watching the pit) This avoids the need for a Plan B, don’t ask.

Link Posted: 6/13/2005 8:03:49 AM EDT
[#44]
Last thought on collecting money ... If memory serves me correctly PayPal allows the person making payment to include comment... this would allow people contributing to vote on dinner.  I'm not trying to push anything .. .just a stry nuron firing.
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 1:27:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Okay, here are the names I culled from the threads of the folks who are positively coming:

ARFCOM BLASTFEST/PIG ROAST/CAMPOUT JULY 22, 23 & 24, 2005

Positively coming:

1. ANGST +1
2. VA-gunnut
3. RELOADER-BOB
4. Hawk_308 +1
5. BlackFox
6. rdubbz420 +1
7. M4arc
8. Packnru
9. long-rifle-tactical
10. themadhatter
11. RobertM
12. Druffick
13. Va_Dinger
14. Sinsaba
15. ReelVirginian1861
16. Highwayman
17. gotm4
18. 1Gunner +1
19. Templar
20. rdubbz420 +1
21. GomerPyle +1
22. Samuel +3
23. Rmplstlskn
24. u352
25. grywlf52
26. h8mtv
27. C4iGrant
28.           Bobby_the_Hun

This is a total of 37 people.

If you are not on this list and are positively coming then please post your intentions ASAP.

If you are on this list and are bringing any additional folks, then please post that ASAP.

Also this: Who on this list is going to be campng out Friday and/or Saturday? We need to know!

And, needless to say, if you are not on this list and are not coming do not confuse me with any more details!!!
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 3:35:15 PM EDT
[#46]
I'm not sure who's coming with me.  My 8 year old son for sure.  Maybe a friend and/or my brother.  If you need a definate number, I will get a firm commitment from the others that may come with me.  We will only be coming Saturday.
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 6:08:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Looks like me and the wife... camping at least Friday night
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 8:58:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Also this: Who on this list is going to be campng out Friday and/or Saturday? We need to know!

I'll be camping out Fri. and Sat. nights and will be running my generator. So I will have  1200 to
 1500 watts to spare for fellow campers to use for lighting or whatever.  
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 9:09:21 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll be camping out Fri. and Sat. nights and will be running my generator. So I will have  1200 to
 1500 watts to spare for fellow campers to use for lighting or whatever.  

R-B, I just told my wife today that she'll be helping with the cooking and stuff, then she got this real strange look on her face. So, I might need to stay in your camper too!!!
Link Posted: 6/14/2005 12:43:25 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:
So LRT, are volunteering to be the food organizer for the event?

Highwayman, Myself and if LRT doesn't mind Could head the cooking thing.

DRUFF

Like I would say no.

Checked on some prices on whole hog cleaned for BBQ and we could by steak for less, I agree that burgers, dogs, chicken is a good way to go.

I have no problem cooking and have a Sams club and Cosco membership so we can get discounts on the food, I am off Friday after 12 and have to go past the house to load out so I can beat the traffic some.

I am camping

Already have the list for the needed cooking gear to go, the paypal is ok but just a little too much for me to track and manage since my work is going 12-14 hours a day.

I will be ready for this weekend.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top