Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2015 9:28:11 AM EDT
Hi all,

I started acquiring parts about 5 months ago for my first AR/AR build. It has been incredibly fun, but part of my original decision to build was that I had an LGS near me who offered the tools and a work space as well as their expertise to enable you to build your own in their shop. I ended up building the lower at home with youtube and a couple household tools, and only went to the shop to use their armorers wrench to secure the castle nut. I was planning to use their equipment/expertise to build the upper but before I could do it I took a rather unexpected job opportunity in the Chicago area, and am now unpacking boxes in Naperville. I've got the upper receiver finished, but will need to install the barrel, gas block/tube, and rail. I've enjoyed it enough that I've considered buying the proper tools to finish it myself, but I'm not sure I'm ready to get into that yet, and the rental I'm occupying does not have a place for me to mount a vice. I'll be free floating the barrel with a Fortis Switch rail so I'm pretty sure all I will need is a vice, a tool to secure the upper in said vice and a torque wrench.

My questions:

Does anyone know a shop in the Naperville/duPage county area that might offer similar 'build it yourself we'll provide the tools' convenience as my LGS in Utah?

If there are no shops like that can anyone recommend a local quality gunsmith hopefully with yoda like experience in building AR's? Depending on what that will cost me I may just break down and buy the tools I need, and try to figure out how to buy/mount a vise.

Finally, Any recommendations on where to shoot it once I get it together? ETA: Looks like Aurora Sportsman's club, and Illinois State Rifle Association range are both about an hour away. Are these the best choices?

Thank you very much for any help.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 10:05:26 AM EDT
[#1]
United States Rifleman's Association is about to have Tac Carbine class @ Chilicothe (2hrs from Naperville)
http://www.usrifleman.org/?event=introduction-to-tactical-carbine-chillicothe-il-08152015

armorer closest to Naperville I know is Article 2 @ Lombard, not sure if they let you use their tools
good luck
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 11:43:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
United States Rifleman's Association is about to have Tac Carbine class @ Chilicothe (2hrs from Naperville)
http://www.usrifleman.org/?event=introduction-to-tactical-carbine-chillicothe-il-08152015

armorer closest to Naperville I know is Article 2 @ Lombard, not sure if they let you use their tools
good luck
View Quote

Knowing the pricks that run article II, probably not.

Why not just start investing in some tools OP? Or is this the last build you ever plan on making?
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 12:28:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Vice
Upper and lower vice blocks
Set of punches
Brass tack hammer
Armorer's wrench

Off the top of my head, those are the only tools required.  Buy em and never have to be a beggar.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 5:06:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I have everything one could need to build an AR tool wise, and am building my bench and mounting a vise tomorrow.  Feel free to PM me, very close to the naperville area.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 7:40:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I would use Marksman's service. Just bring him beer.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 3:52:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Also have the tools and willing to help. PM me if interested
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 4:30:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

You know me too well
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 6:40:58 PM EDT
[#8]
yep bring him beer.

trust me you seriously want to take marksman up on his offer. good dude
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 3:07:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You know me too well
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know me too well

Thanks all for your suggestions and kind offers.  I may very well buy my own stuff to do this soon but right now the beer option is looking mighty sweet. Marksman14, message is coming.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 7:08:48 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a bunch of parts and accessories and LPK's and uppers left over from when I used to gunsmith. I also had a class where I would guide the students through their AR build and allow them to use my tools, but there wasn't alot of interest.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 10:16:30 PM EDT
[#11]
I had the same dilemma for choosing a range. I went with the Aurora Sportsmans Club, the Zombie shoot is coming up in a month so you could go to that to see the range.

I'm in my second year of membership and will certainly sign up again next year.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 7:01:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have everything one could need to build an AR tool wise, and am building my bench and mounting a vise tomorrow.  Feel free to PM me, very close to the naperville area.
View Quote

He is not kidding. I bought AR tools I did not know existed after seeing his tool box.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top