Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/10/2014 5:17:53 PM EDT
I was driving down North ave in Chicago and noticed the no hand gun sign at the entrance of a strip mall parking lot.  The sign was at the entrance of the lot and I did not see any individual signs on store front doors.  From what I recall, even if the stores have the sign, you are still allowed to have your weapon stored in your car. Is the owner of the lot trying to say no guns in lot or property whatsoever?  Would that not be a violation of the CCW law?

For reference:

This is the street view of the mall in question.  There is a short fence to the right of the driveway and that is where the sign was posted. It would be where the FJ cruiser/SUV is.(old street view, sign is not in the pic)

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9108186,-87.6536103,3a,37.5y,30.14h,80.72t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sKxd6fUP7KhvHHgiEiIsAlw!2e0
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 7:33:38 PM EDT
[#1]
They can post the parking lot "no concealed carry" but they can't regulate "safe haven" inside your vehicle or transport outside your vehicle as in: unloaded and enclosed in a case.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 6:47:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Careful, malls are the worst in regards to posting. I've seen the stickers on the glass side next to the door about 8 inches off the ground. Not even on the door. I've seen postings on the wall in between the two sets of doors but not on the doors. While I was in Wisconsin a few years ago, the wife and I went in through one of the anchor stores and on into the mall, walking around for about an hour I saw a no guns sign on a wall. When we left I saw the sign on the mall entrance door but drove by a couple of the anchor stores and saw no postings.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 8:48:05 AM EDT
[#3]
I walk past that lot every day on my way to the Metra. I'll try to get a pic of the sign and ask my brother who is a chicago cop and ccw instructor and see what he says.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 11:14:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Bets: sign posters are not going to be held to the letter of the law but you get a ride anyway.

I believe your vehicle is a safe haven in any case.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 1:00:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 4:31:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Careful, malls are the worst in regards to posting.
View Quote

We were fortunate that Madigan's people kept our language stating "knowing carries".  We had that written in our previous bills to protect someone who walks into a prohibited place without seeing discreetly placed sign.  Not saying you wouldn't get a jerk LEO that doesn't know the law but, you will get off at some point.  They would have to prove that you knowingly carried in the posted place and your defense would provide pictures of the poorly marked entrance.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 8:50:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Found the sign and it's quite ridiculous. I can't imagine that it's legit, I'll try to upload it to photobucket and post it tonight if I can remember.
Edit: photobucket cooperated now lets see if this site will.....
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 9:46:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 9:58:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Oh, it's a legitimate sign - just posted completely inconsistent with the intent of the Act, for the same reason traffic signs aren't 4" x 6".
View Quote

I know the sign is legit, I meant the usage wasn't legit I don't think its supposed to be used on the fences of parking lots haha.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 3:19:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 9:39:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

What's the deal with post offices?  They have the sign on the door, but inside is a sign on the "Wanted" bulletin board that says no weapons on the property.  Does that mean leaving one's CCW in the car is not legal?  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<snip>

Yes, excepting federal and nuke properties.

What's the deal with post offices?  They have the sign on the door, but inside is a sign on the "Wanted" bulletin board that says no weapons on the property.  Does that mean leaving one's CCW in the car is not legal?  

up in the air as I understand it

there is a court case making it legal or at least not illegal in one specific judicial circuit but I don't think it extended to all of them

that said concealed in a vehicle IS REALLY concealed so I don't fret it

Link Posted: 11/18/2014 11:51:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<snip>

Yes, excepting federal and nuke properties.

I looked into it a while back and could never get a conclusive answer, one way or the other.

Here's what I have in my file:
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=70461
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=70462
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=70461
http://rlwesquire.wordpress.com/2008/06/09/question-about-concealed-carry-in-a-post-office/
http://www.thegunzone.com/rkba/rtc-usps.html

Link Posted: 11/18/2014 1:19:41 PM EDT
[#13]
What's the deal with post offices? They have the sign on the door, but inside is a sign on the "Wanted" bulletin board that says no weapons on the property. Does that mean leaving one's CCW in the car is not legal?
View Quote

As of now, the dedicated post office parking lot would be Illegal to have in your vehicle because it is "federal property"
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 2:04:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 2:14:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Thank you both.  

Another perplexing (for me) one--rest areas along interstates.  Some have the sign and some don't.  "Federal property?"  "State property?"

Only a no-go at the posted ones?  This stuff is HARD to be 100% sure one is legal.  
View Quote

rest areas are IDIOT er  IDOT and thus 'controlled by executive branch' and thus verboten ...  

some folks are going with no sign I'm not 'knowingly' entering the verboten zone - I don't advise this

that said concealed is concealed so how will they know ...

maybe a few more court cases will make things more workable

Link Posted: 11/18/2014 2:32:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 5:49:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

rest areas are IDIOT er  IDOT and thus 'controlled by executive branch' and thus verboten ...  

some folks are going with no sign I'm not 'knowingly' entering the verboten zone - I don't advise this

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thank you both.  

Another perplexing (for me) one--rest areas along interstates.  Some have the sign and some don't.  "Federal property?"  "State property?"

Only a no-go at the posted ones?  This stuff is HARD to be 100% sure one is legal.  

What he said....
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 7:27:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 9:06:44 PM EDT
[#19]
I work not far from there and i have gone to the Erewhon a couple of times can't remember if i carried into the store or not. I generally only look at the door walking in to buildings.

The sign is legal... but good luck on seeing it. I still call bullshit, even though it's legal... Dick move my the owner.

430 ILCS 66/65 23 a-10

(d) Signs stating that the carrying of firearms is prohibited shall be clearly and conspicuously posted at the entrance of a building, premises, or real property specified in this Section as a prohibited area, unless the building or premises is a private residence.

You can store your weapon in the car

this Section shall be permitted to carry a concealed firearm on or about his or her person within a vehicle into the parking area and may store a firearm or ammunition concealed in a case within a locked vehicle or locked container out of plain view within the vehicle in the parking area. A licensee may carry a concealed firearm in the immediate area surrounding his or her vehicle within a prohibited parking lot area only for the limited purpose of storing or retrieving a firearm within the vehicle's trunk, provided the licensee ensures the concealed firearm is unloaded prior to exiting the vehicle. For purposes of this subsection, "case" includes a glove compartment or console that completely encloses the concealed firearm or ammunition, the trunk of the vehicle, or a firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 12:50:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Found the sign and it's quite ridiculous. I can't imagine that it's legit, I'll try to upload it to photobucket and post it tonight if I can remember.
Edit: photobucket cooperated now lets see if this site will..... <a href="http://s99.photobucket.com/user/ratuna/media/New%20Pics/20141117_162621_resized.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l314/ratuna/New%20Pics/20141117_162621_resized.jpg</a>
View Quote

That's the sign.  Funny, I drive for Uber in Chicago and it seems a few fares I've picked up in that area and logan square vent their antigun fears.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top