Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2014 3:39:07 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 4:25:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Book your hotel room ASAP.

Advanstar Motorsports Dealer Expo happens at the McCormick Convvention Center, just south of downtown, in early December. Even a poor attendance for the Expo can eat up 30,000 hotel rooms -- the ones closest to downtown, the Field Museum, and the Convention Center.

You can get cheaper rooms out by O'Hare or nearby suburbs, but you'll quickly hate the long slow trip to get downtown.

I always recommend the Museum of Science and Industry. Kids aged 6-12 especially like it. Also recommend the Chicago Art Institute. Kids aged 6-12 especially hate it, but I have to recommend it nonetheless.

There's a lot of places in Chicago for good food and good burgers. A LOT of places.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 4:30:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 5:27:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Go by the Macy's on State Street  to see the decorated windows.  Walk along Michigan  Avenue north of the  Chicago River  to see decorations as well.  I believe it's the Museum of Science and Industry that has many Christmas trees decorated from many different countries.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 6:00:23 PM EDT
[#4]
If you want to hit the touristy stuff check out CityPASS http://www.citypass.com/chicago

A lot of the attractions have special lines for people with the CityPASS which make them well worth the price.

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 6:27:51 PM EDT
[#5]
the Hilton on south michigan ave is close to the field musuem and really nice.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 7:25:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Book your hotel room ASAP.

Advanstar Motorsports Dealer Expo happens at the McCormick Convvention Center, just south of downtown, in early December. Even a poor attendance for the Expo can eat up 30,000 hotel rooms -- the ones closest to downtown, the Field Museum, and the Convention Center.

You can get cheaper rooms out by O'Hare or nearby suburbs, but you'll quickly hate the long slow trip to get downtown.

I always recommend the Museum of Science and Industry. Kids aged 6-12 especially like it. Also recommend the Chicago Art Institute. Kids aged 6-12 especially hate it, but I have to recommend it nonetheless.

There's a lot of places in Chicago for good food and good burgers. A LOT of places.

View Quote

the kids will talk about this place long after you get home! lots of interactive things for them to do. get there when it opens because you need all day there.

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 7:53:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:20:58 AM EDT
[#8]
The one thing you really want to see is the sign that says Welcome to Missouri. As you leave this corrupt ass state.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:31:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 6:02:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

looks like this is where we are booking.

going to try to hit MSI also
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
the Hilton on south michigan ave is close to the field musuem and really nice.

looks like this is where we are booking.

going to try to hit MSI also

MSI is a good one. I haven't been in years but it has U-505 and a huge train diorama that is really cool.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 4:09:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Have a meal at the Berghoff Restaurant if you can.  Creamed spinach FTW.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 7:02:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Find a Lou Malnatis Pizza Restaurant, bring stretchable pants.

And if you're not familiar with the weather, bring a nice heavy jacket, gloves and a hat.  Windy city= not just a nickname, and it ain't warm here that time of year...or now for that matter.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 12:59:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Team-

Wife, child, and I are coming up after Christmas with the main goal of hitting the Field Museum- and I really want to get to Kuma's for a burger.

Where must we avoid hotels? Looks like most closest to the museum are either already booked or more than we want to spend on a room.

Any quick sights we have to see?

We'll be doing three days/two nights with the Field Museum on the second day.
View Quote

Others have mentioned  the Museum of Science and Industry, and quite rightfully so.  It would be easy to keep kids entertained for a full day there.  If you go west from there, do not go past the park.  

Right next to the Field Museum, is the Shedd Aquarium and a few hundred yards away, the Adler Planetarium.  Those three would be a pretty full day as well.  

For food, near the MS&I, there is a place called "The Medici" that I like.  There was something like a chicken, garlic and broccoli pizza that was awesome.  Usually with a quesadillas appetizer.  I learned about it from someone who is a moderator in "Cars and Bikes" back in the 90's.  It may be favored by a certain POTUS.    
Medici on 57th
1327 E 57th St, Chicago, IL 60637

I went there as a kid and really liked them.  I am an engineer though so take it with a grain of salt.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 1:04:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 2:48:21 PM EDT
[#15]
With the family, I'd cab it.  That part of the city isn't particularly pedestrian friendly unless things have changed over the last few years.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 9:53:14 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

With the family, I'd cab it.  That part of the city isn't particularly pedestrian friendly unless things have changed over the last few years.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/24/2014 1:14:35 AM EDT
[#17]
MSI food can get expensive...eat heavy breakfast early, arrive early due to crowds, do not pass on the submarine exhibition.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 3:27:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Walking from the Hilton is definitely an option, but it is winter in Chicago, after all. I see you're from Tennessee, so prepare for a possible nip in the air.

If you're a fan of Italian food, check out Eataly. I also recommend the Museum of Science and Industry.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 4:46:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Do NOT take the CTA! Cab it. Keep your head on a swivel. And tell your wife to not leave her purse just dangling off her shoulder/from her hand. Wear it cross body if possible. If not, keep a hand on the strap while it's on her shoulder.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 6:10:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 6:35:41 PM EDT
[#21]
No hot dog?! Oh, the humanity! I had a Portillo's Beef for lunch. Yum.

You'd be freezing your butt off here right now. Very cold.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 6:38:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top