Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/4/2015 5:27:59 PM EDT
Anyone up for this?  I think we have done them in the past but I haven't been around in the winter for the last six years.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 6:55:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Depending on where and when I would be interested.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 10:12:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Frozen Nuts Shoot is what you're after.

Link Posted: 1/5/2015 12:27:43 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Frozen Nuts Shoot is what you're after.

View Quote
Yes lets do that.

We don't need to do the whole prize thing, lets just get together, shoot and have some food.  

Link Posted: 1/5/2015 10:03:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Anywhere that has steel that can host?  I'd even go without the food, especially if the place can stretch out past 300 yards.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 10:03:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Anywhere that has steel that can host?  I'd even go without the food, especially if the place can stretch out past 300 yards.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 10:24:40 AM EDT
[#6]
I could host if people wanted to drive.

600 yards, steel ok, but no tannerite.

Wisconsin Rapids.

10 shooting lanes.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 12:40:45 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Wisconsin Rapids.

10 shooting lanes.
View Quote
I would drive out to Wisconsin Rapids in a heartbeat for that.

Link Posted: 1/5/2015 1:20:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wisconsin Rapids.

10 shooting lanes.

If we get a bunch of guys together, I'm good with that.

The club is VERY strict about all bullets impacting a berm.  So...  We can put steel and/or paper at the following distances:

600 yards
40 meters
50 meters
75 meters
100 meters
150 meters
200 meters

There are no berms between 200 meters and 600 yards, so...

And no, I have no idea why the front berms are in meters.  LOL
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 8:13:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I might be able to make Wi Rapids depending on the date.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 10:07:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Traditionally  frozen nuts was always held in the madison area at yellowstone i do believe.

fyi i cant make it ice fishing consumes my winters.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 2:30:36 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Traditionally  frozen nuts was always held in the madison area at yellowstone i do believe.

View Quote
The last time we arrempted yellowstone it became a DNR cluster because it is a public range.

Link Posted: 1/6/2015 9:04:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The last time we arrempted yellowstone it became a DNR cluster because it is a public range.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The range I am offering is a private club, and will be empty in the winter.  Hell, it's empty most of the time in summer!
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 1:11:40 AM EDT
[#13]
I could definitely do Rapids.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 2:40:03 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I could definitely do Rapids.
View Quote

Same.  

Tag for updates.  

Link Posted: 1/7/2015 10:29:16 AM EDT
[#15]
If my work and new baby schedules allow, I'll be there. Even if I didn't shoot...I need a dose of just the sounds, smell of cordite and good times jaw-jacking with guys. Only been to the range twice since moving in June 2013. Fired 6 rounds total in those two trips.

Also tagging for updates.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 9:11:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Sounds like fun, not too far of a drive for me. Have some reactive steel also.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 10:20:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Well, so far we are up to 8 guys.  As I mentioned, there are only 10 benches/shooting lanes at this place.

Anyone want to start throwing out dates?  My availability is pretty open, what works for you guys?
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 8:54:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Maybe some dates in Feb.  Let it warm up just a little.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 9:59:52 PM EDT
[#19]
I would also be interested in coming to this shoot. I live near green bay.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 11:36:26 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Maybe some dates in Feb.  Let it warm up just a little.
View Quote
This sounds pretty good to me.  

Link Posted: 1/8/2015 11:53:17 PM EDT
[#21]
A date in February might be good for me.  Tag for dates.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 11:36:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Is there a clubhouse or other shelter at this location?

The first ever winter shoots had people intermittently retreating to their vehicles, and was relatively short lived. At later ones we had an unheated block wind shelter, an outdoor barrel fire, and the hijinx lasted for better than half a day.

Link Posted: 1/11/2015 12:43:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Well...   There is a roof over the shooting area.   There is a Pavillion with a roof and no sides with a picnic table.

If someone wanted to bring a bunch of tarps, we could makeshift some walls.  There is a charcoal grill in the Pavillion, so we could probably stoke that up and "heat" the Pavillion if we put walls on 3 sides?

There's not anywhere to build an open fire, and I don't think there are any barrels to contain one.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 9:22:43 PM EDT
[#24]
As of now, every Saturday in Feb. works for me. If it's not bitter cold, we could just dress for the weather unless someone has a portable fire pit and firewood that wouldn't leave a mess. 10 shooting lanes will work for any size crowd. We have to have time to visit while were waiting.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:53:11 PM EDT
[#25]
I can do Rapids no problem.  I could also bring more steel if needed.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:28:30 PM EDT
[#26]
More steel would be good.  I only have two - an 8" round, and an ipsc-style two-piece silhouette.

AFAIK, I'm opened the whole month except the 8th.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:59:36 PM EDT
[#27]
I have a 12 inch steel plate that I will bring.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:22:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Just thinking about Saturdays in February. 14th is Valentines Day.  Would Saturday  Feb. 21 or Saturday Feb. 28 be good choices.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:06:31 PM EDT
[#29]
sounds good to me also I can bring my 10" round and 7/10 silouette if they aren't frozen to the ground to bad!!! I have two rifles I would like data on at longer yardages.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 10:53:22 AM EDT
[#30]
2/21 or 2/28 would both work fine for me, whatever you guys prefer.

As for actually putting targets up at distances - it would be GREAT if someone has a plow on their truck.  The road in the range doesn't see much use in the winter, so if there's 2' of snow on it it may make driving downrange difficult.

There is a road that parallels the range.  If the range road is not passable, we can drive down that and then walk in to put up targets.  It's about a 40-50 yard walk from the road.

Highly recommend 4WD, or a truck at the very least, to get to the range, so carpool accordingly.  The range is on a dirt road, connected by another dirt road, and is at least 1 mile from pavement.

Being that there are no houses or business on the road, it doesn't see a whole lot of use except by guys in 4WD trucks out having a good time, and can get rutted up pretty bad.  I'd image lots of sleds and quads this time of year as well.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 12:51:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Sounds like a good time, if no one minds a range noob.  I've spend a fair amount of time shooting out in the sticks, but never ventured to an actual range before.  Any idea on round restrictions?
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 3:18:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Sounds like a good time, if no one minds a range noob.  I've spend a fair amount of time shooting out in the sticks, but never ventured to an actual range before.  Any idea on round restrictions?
View Quote

What do you mean by "round restrictions"?
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 5:15:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a fair amount of x855 that I normally shoot with (no steel, of course), but if people are bringing steel, I guess that answers my question.  Some of the guys I grew up with in another state go to ranges where they don't allow particular rounds/calibers, so I was just playing it safe and asking.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 5:27:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I have a fair amount of x855 that I normally shoot with (no steel, of course), but if people are bringing steel, I guess that answers my question.  Some of the guys I grew up with in another state go to ranges where they don't allow particular rounds/calibers, so I was just playing it safe and asking.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ahh.

In terms what what you can shoot AT what, that will be up to the guys who bring targets.  One hunk I have (8" round) is good for up to 50BMG.  The other 2 hunks that make up my IPSC-style silhouette, probably no more than 338 Lapua, and only then at 600 rounds.  No 855 or armor piercing rounds at my targets.

But, if you want to shoot 855 at paper, I'm fine with that.

Tracers are also fine, since it's winter, and everything will be covered with snow.

Any cartridge up to and including 50BMG is fine.

No explosive stuff, including tannerite.  They used to allow it, but had some issues with berms being destroyed.  As always, a few bad apples....
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 3:40:13 PM EDT
[#35]
OK guys, if we want to do this in February, looks like 2/21 will have to be it.  I just found out that one of the regular rifle shoots I participate in was moved from Sunday 3/1 to Saturday 2/28.

So, let's have a headcount for 2/21.  Show of hands?
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 4:20:14 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

OK guys, if we want to do this in February, looks like 2/21 will have to be it.  I just found out that one of the regular rifle shoots I participate in was moved from Sunday 3/1 to Saturday 2/28.

So, let's have a headcount for 2/21.  Show of hands?
View Quote
In

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 4:37:04 PM EDT
[#37]
I should be in for 2/21
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 5:17:56 PM EDT
[#38]
I should be in for the 21st (possible guest tag along as well).
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 11:28:27 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm in
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 6:04:45 PM EDT
[#40]
So, 6 of us total then? I thought we had more than that.  Apologies if the date is bad for some people..
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 1:57:20 AM EDT
[#41]
I'd like to, just have to verify my availability.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 7:10:23 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm hoping to make it the 21st also.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 7:50:56 PM EDT
[#43]
I'll go if I can, but I won't know for sure until about week ahead of time.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 2:26:18 AM EDT
[#44]
I'll be there
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:03:51 AM EDT
[#45]
Iffy for me, can't say for sure until late that week.  I'll be there if I can.          

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:21:54 PM EDT
[#46]
What was the DNR cluster all about? I don't recall seeing anything in an AAR after frozen nuts last year...and searching is bringing up diddly.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:11:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Assuming I can get off of work, count me in.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:57:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
What was the DNR cluster all about? I don't recall seeing anything in an AAR after frozen nuts last year...and searching is bringing up diddly.
View Quote

IIRC a ranger posted about needing permits and insurance for an organized event on public land.

The entire level of "organization" was .... "Lets get togather and freeze out nutz off for a few hours on xx day and get rid of Cabin Fever"

We had been doing it for several years at that point.  4th saturday in Jan was the standard date.  It had moved dates on occasion.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:16:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I'll be there
View Quote

Ill try to make it so i can keep this guy in line...
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 3:46:55 AM EDT
[#50]
Yeah, the gatherings in the snow at Yellowstone were epic.  Full auto, bump firing, suppressors, and of course grilling out were all there. ( There are Youtube Vids as proof ) I think there was even a dinner pic complete with guns, knives,mags, ammo and a stapler to complete the ensamble.
I would be down for a mid-winter gathering with my fellow ARFCOM brothers.  Will be standing by for a definative, carved in stone date.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top