Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:05:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the reply. I made it two the first two "frozen nutz" shoots at Yellowstone...10+ years ago now.

I will have to do some digging around in NR Code to see what's up at Yellowstone prior to next winter. Can't make this one thanks to Uncle Sam.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 9:51:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah, the gatherings in the snow at Yellowstone were epic.  Full auto, bump firing, suppressors, and of course grilling out were all there. ( There are Youtube Vids as proof ) I think there was even a dinner pic complete with guns, knives,mags, ammo and a stapler to complete the ensamble.
I would be down for a mid-winter gathering with my fellow ARFCOM brothers.  Will be standing by for a definative, carved in stone date.
View Quote

It seems interest is high enough, so the carved in stone date is Saturday, 2/21.

Since I have no idea where most of you live, and what kind of drive time you are looking at, what time should we start?  I'm plenty flexible, I only live 40 minutes from the range.

The range is just west of Wisconsin Rapids.

To recap:

Any round up to & including 50bmg is fine.
Full auto & suppressors are fine.
No exploding targets.
Tracers are fine.
If you bring armor piercing rounds, or 855 penetrators, don't expect people to be willing to let you shoot at their steel.
Bring some targets (steel is fine, so are bowling pins).
All targets must be in front of a berm, nothing just out in the middle of the range.
Berms at 40, 50, 75, 100, 150, & 200 meters,  and a long-range berm at 600 yards.
There are 10 shooting benches.
There is a Pavillion with a roof but no walls, and a charcoal grill.
No electricity or running water, so be prepared to shit in the woods if you need (byo tp).

I do not know what the road conditions will be this time of year, so a truck is probably required, 4wd recommended.  If someone has a plow truck to plow out the road inside the range, that would be most helpful.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:05:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Anyone from the Green Bay or Fox Valley area going. I wouldn't mind carpooling.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 5:40:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Anyone from the Green Bay or Fox Valley area going. I wouldn't mind carpooling.
View Quote

I was just going to post this last night and forgot.  PMed.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 12:53:28 PM EDT
[#5]
So...

No one has any input as to what time the shoot starts?  What about organizing food/drink?

I realize this isn't a "formal" event, but I would have thought there would have been at least a little discussion about it...  
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 4:56:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Also wondering what the name and address is for this gun range location? I would be good with a 11:00 start time.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 9:55:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a 2+ hour drive. Probably would be 10:30  at the earliest for me to arrive. Planning on bringing some steel targets. If there's a grill there, and somebody wants to be responsible for the charcoal/LP food, maybe something simple like burgers and beans. we could make a donation to cover costs.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 1:29:35 PM EDT
[#8]
11 AM works for me.

The entrance to the range is on Range Rd, about 200 yards north of Seneca Rd.

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.3736622,-89.8931099,14z

There isn't an address.  I'm not 100% sure what the sign out front even says.  Pretty sure it's something about private club, trespassing, and has the club prez's phone number on it.

BUT - it is literally the ONLY driveway on that road between Seneca and Marsh, so it's sort of hard to miss it.  There's a large yellow gate across the entrance.  If you switch to satellite view, you can see the range cut out of the forest.  You'll also get an idea of what we are looking at in terms of berms and soforth.  Looking at the satellite image, the shooting position is the long east-west covered area.  The smaller covered area south of that is the pavillion.  You can also see the 600-yard-long road inside the range to get down to the 600 yard bunkers.  I haven't been to the range since Thanksgiving, so again - if anyone possibly has a plow truck, it might be helpful.  I'll try to get out there and investigate as we get a little closer to the date of the shoot.

How do we want to work food?  I'm good with the donation thing and can bring enough for everyone if we can get an accurate headcount...
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 2:22:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I'll feed myself.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 1:18:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'll feed myself.
View Quote

I could pack a lunch also if nobody is in the mood to cook
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 5:47:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'll feed myself.
View Quote

Same here.  I rarely pack a lunch or even eat when shooting.  Usually hit a local bar for pizza or burgers afterwards.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 9:20:47 PM EDT
[#12]
OK, so no lunch.

But can I get a roll call?  Coming up next Saturday, wanna make sure I'm not there alone!
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 10:19:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
OK, so no lunch.

But can I get a roll call?  Coming up next Saturday, wanna make sure I'm not there alone!
View Quote

Still planning on going
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 10:25:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
OK, so no lunch.

View Quote

Still planning to be there (myself + guest)
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 11:22:09 PM EDT
[#15]
RIflemanWI and I will be out there.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 10:53:10 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm 75%.  The winter league I shoot starts next weekend but I'm almost positive it's Sunday and not Saturday.  Just need to confirm that.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 12:38:02 PM EDT
[#17]
OK, sounds like a plan.

Does anyone have any questions?  Was everyone able to pull up that map and see where it is?
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 12:55:02 PM EDT
[#18]
I'll see if I can bring some toys from work.
It's a 3 hour drive from us in Milwaukee. 11 will work great.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 1:36:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

So it's pretty much like driving to canada
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 1:40:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hahah, yes. If I didn't have to be back by 6 that night, we could have just stayed at my dads place. It's less than an hour from there.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 1:48:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Looks like it'll be a cold one.  Weather Channel is saying 19 degrees with 10mph winds.  I'm thinking screw you guys, I'm making myself a steak or something for lunch on the grill. . For no other reason than I want the heat from it!  Lol

I will bring a tarp to help block the wind on the little Pavillion.  If someone wants to bring another tarp so we can try and get at least 2 walls, that would probably be good...  3 walls would be awesome, but I'll take what I can get.  :)

Also, you might consider some type of folding chair, because unless you're wearing snowpants, chances are the picnic table will have a layer of ice on the seats.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 2:30:23 PM EDT
[#22]
I have more tarps than I know what to do with, plus a healthy bag of charcoal.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 2:36:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Sweet, bring it.  And something to burn on the grill if you desire.  I'm going to bring a bag or two of charcoal as well.  I figure if we block the wind and keep the grill going, we might be able to reach a healthy 40 or so degrees under the Pavillion.  

Can only do 3 walls though, since I'm not interested in a) melting tarps or b) carbon monoxide poisoning.  Lol
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 3:43:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Will be interesting to test my new cans under cold conditions.

Fuck yeah science
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 5:04:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Will be interesting to test my new cans under cold conditions.

Fuck yeah science
View Quote

Personal experience tells me cans sound louder when it's cold.  My 308 with a tbac made my ears ring during hunting season.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 9:26:41 PM EDT
[#26]
I'd be interested if there is room for one more? I've got a Big Buddy portable heater I will bring.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 9:40:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I'd be interested if there is room for one more? I've got a Big Buddy portable heater I will bring.
View Quote

Sure, come on out.  The heater would be awesome.

There are room for as many as we want, but only 10 shooting benches.  So if we get more than 10, guys would have to take turns.  Something tells me with the cold, that shouldn't be a big issue.  Lol

I'll be at the range about 1015-1030 to start hanging tarps/clearing snow.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 10:54:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Thanks. I'm looking forward to it!
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 2:33:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Is anyone bringing any suppressors?  I'd really love to see how my Form 1 .22 LR and .30 cal cans sound in comparison to a commercial one.  Especially the .22 since I have other centerfire rifle cans to compare the .30 to.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 4:08:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Is anyone bringing any suppressors?  I'd really love to see how my Form 1 .22 LR and .30 cal cans sound in comparison to a commercial one.  Especially the .22 since I have other centerfire rifle cans to compare the .30 to.
View Quote

I'd love to come, I've got a spectre II and YHM phantom 30 cal Ti... unfortunately, I can't make it as the weekend of the shoot is also my weekend to work as I work every other weekend. :(
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 8:53:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Just found out my wife is out of town Saturday so if anyone from the Milwaukee are is headed out there and wants to carpool for gas/beer/food money I could attend.  I can push off brewing until Sunday...
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 12:14:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

I will have a tbac, a couple of sdn6s, and a couple tirants.  No rim fire cans here.  I reload, so 9mm is about the same price as 22 for me.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 1:42:24 PM EDT
[#33]
I have 20,000 .22 on the shelf so even though I reload 9mm too it's not for me

But 9mm is next on my list of cans to build.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 11:01:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Well, if the WeatherGuessers are correct, we lucked out for Saturday.  Supposed to be a high of 25.

That's 42 degrees higher than the temp here right now.  LOL
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 8:53:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Glad I found this. I might be up for the trip to Wisconsin Rapids from the Oshkosh Area.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 7:28:35 AM EDT
[#36]
CWG and I won't be able to make it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 8:43:27 AM EDT
[#37]
I'm firmed up 100% now.  Just gotta decide what to bring.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 8:26:43 PM EDT
[#38]
I'll be there as well.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 8:33:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Fuck it.... I'm here right now.  Where are the rest of ya?
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 9:37:08 PM EDT
[#40]
I'll be there...
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 12:16:09 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Fuck it.... I'm here right now.  Where are the rest of ya?
View Quote

I'm making pizza in my kitchen and trying to decide what to bring.

Don't currently have any glass on my DMR, thinking about putting it back on.

Not sure.

Also need to locate some stuff and get it packed.  Probably just wake up early in the morning and get it all done.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 12:55:24 AM EDT
[#42]
Just got done putting lube on the full auto.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 1:13:43 AM EDT
[#43]
That's ironic I'm on full auto putting on lube.  Did I misread the objective of this gathering?
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 12:15:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Got a bit of a late start.  I'll be to the range about 11 guys.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 7:13:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 9:27:56 PM EDT
[#46]

Ouch. Is that the actual serial numbered receiver that is damaged?
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 9:53:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Had a great time shooting!  Very nice 600yd range and the day was well worth the 1-1/2 hrs or so of travel from Appleton.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 10:43:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yeah.  It's fucked sideways.  The plastic anyway.  Bolt and everything inside look fine.  Hoping that I can get a new receiver half (they split like a clamshell) and trigger housing.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 10:53:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Was nice to see some familiar people and meet new ones. Lots of cans on various calibers of rifles. Some really nice setups I might add. Thanks for the brats! They were quite tasty. I may look into joining the club
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 11:56:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Yeah.  It's fucked sideways.  The plastic anyway.  Bolt and everything inside look fine.  Hoping that I can get a new receiver half (they split like a clamshell) and trigger housing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So it's a 2 piece receiver but only one side has the SN# and that one side is considered the actual "firearm", like how the sideplates are on a M1919 belt fed machinegun?
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top