Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/30/2017 11:34:46 AM EDT
Hi, My wife and I are planning a trip to Colorado.  The main stop will be the park, but am into anything cool. We like historical stuff. Not so much like shopping and tourists traps. Of course any good gun stores.
Haven't made any solid plans. We are going to fly in and rent a vehicle.  Any suggestions on whereto stay and visit?  Also anyplace to avoid.  I have only driven thru the state and  went to a class at Trinidad gunsmith school. Right now I am off work for a little while so we are thinking a week or two. Thank you for any help.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 12:44:50 PM EDT
[#1]
They are probably full, but try the YMCA just outside of Estes Park.

They have nice facilities, not at all like Y campgrounds from years ago.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 2:49:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I second trying to book a room at one of lodges at the YMCA at Estes Park.   Great prices and great location (see link below).   On site tennis courts, Put-Put miniature golf course, riding stables, etc.  You can literally walk from the YMCA over into the RMNP.   Also, if you like historic stuff, do a tour of the Stanley Hotel (used as the set for "The Shining") in Estes Park.   Lots of great day hikes in the RMNP (see link below) most of which you can drive your car to the trail head.  Lots of elk in the YMCA area and just west of Estes Park as you enter the main entrance to the RMNP.  Have fun.  Take a good camera.

Link to YMCA of the Rockies

RMNP Day Hikes Near Estes Park
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 11:15:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you for the advise and links!
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 11:29:25 PM EDT
[#4]
X3 for the YMCA.
No matter where you stay in Estes you'll have the tourist experience including going out for so-so food at a premium. You may want to consider staying in Loveland or Longmont, both are about 25miles or so from Estes but you have a lot more options for where to stay,eat,etc..... There's also more options in regards to gun shops and ranges on the Front Range. For shops there's Jensen Arms in Loveland, Front Range Gun Club in Loveland (shop, range and you can rent guns too), Liberty Arms in Fort Collins, Liberty Arms Institute in Johnstown (shop, range and you can rent guns)  Great Guns in Fort Collins (shop, range and you can rent guns). If you're into brewery's Longmont, Berthoud, Loveland and Fort Collins have some really good Tap Rooms or Brew Pubs  
When you go to the park I'd suggest going early in the morning or about 2hrs before sunset for watching animals, plus they'll be less traffic too. You have to go up Fall River Road providing it's open. On the west side Grand Lake, kind of touristy but pretty cool and a nice drive over the top.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 5:04:57 PM EDT
[#5]
This thread is relevant to my interests.

We are thinking of 9/8-9/16 for a visit to RMNP and surrounding area. Possibly a quick overnight up to Cheyenne WY as well. I'd like to see if we could get a round house tour and maybe a peek at the UP steam engines.

We weren't planning on camping and no overnight trails just "weak ass tourists" level hikes.
It appears Trail Ridge road will be fine in a rental car, how about Old Fall River road? Need at least a higher SUV/CUV for that one?

Does the crowd in RMNP die down after labor day? Too close to major metropolitan areas to ever really be crowd free?

Appreciate the Estes info, also were thinking about Grand Lake area. I presume all things Estes applies to GL as well?

Any worthwhile places to see south of Denver? I don't think we will have enough time to make it down to Santa Fe, general NM area but was thinking maybe Great Sand Dunes NP might be worth it.

Don't have the days off at this new job like at the old job so everything has to be crammed in a week.
At least I have a job this year.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 7:38:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This thread is relevant to my interests.

We are thinking of 9/8-9/16 for a visit to RMNP and surrounding area. Possibly a quick overnight up to Cheyenne WY as well. I'd like to see if we could get a round house tour and maybe a peek at the UP steam engines.

We weren't planning on camping and no overnight trails just "weak ass tourists" level hikes.
It appears Trail Ridge road will be fine in a rental car, how about Old Fall River road? Need at least a higher SUV/CUV for that one?

Does the crowd in RMNP die down after labor day? Too close to major metropolitan areas to ever really be crowd free?

Appreciate the Estes info, also were thinking about Grand Lake area. I presume all things Estes applies to GL as well?

Any worthwhile places to see south of Denver? I don't think we will have enough time to make it down to Santa Fe, general NM area but was thinking maybe Great Sand Dunes NP might be worth it.

Don't have the days off at this new job like at the old job so everything has to be crammed in a week.
View Quote
Elk are in rut that time of year and the park see's a lot of activity that time of year. Check out Laramie instead of Cheyenne, the Snowy Range SW of Laramie is a pretty cool place.
Cars can go up Fall River Road but I'd suggest getting a SUV since you ride higher in the vehicle and can see more.
Grand Lake isn't as busy as Este's but it's still pretty busy. If you stay in Grand Lake you should run over to Steamboat Springs and take a gondola ride up the mtn.
Santa Fe and Great Sand Dunes will be a day there and back, if you were going in either places general direction then stop by otherwise there's better things IMO in No Colo or Southern Wyoming and you won't burn a couple days just getting to and from.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 10:22:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Rocky
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 6:05:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Rocky
View Quote
Mountain.....
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 11:54:58 PM EDT
[#9]
When driving in RMNP and you see an elk (which you will), if you have a burning desire to watch it, pull over.  Slamming on the brakes and staying in the middle of the road does not achieve better viewing than pulling over and may in fact cause the vehicle behind you to dismantle your tail lights with their front bumper.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 2:19:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
When driving in RMNP and you see an elk (which you will), if you have a burning desire to watch it, pull over.  Slamming on the brakes and staying in the middle of the road does not achieve better viewing than pulling over and may in fact cause the vehicle behind you to dismantle your tail lights with their front bumper.
View Quote
Please and thank you.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 3:23:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Elk are in rut that time of year and the park see's a lot of activity that time of year. Check out Laramie instead of Cheyenne, the Snowy Range SW of Laramie is a pretty cool place.
Cars can go up Fall River Road but I'd suggest getting a SUV since you ride higher in the vehicle and can see more.
Grand Lake isn't as busy as Este's but it's still pretty busy. If you stay in Grand Lake you should run over to Steamboat Springs and take a gondola ride up the mtn.
Santa Fe and Great Sand Dunes will be a day there and back, if you were going in either places general direction then stop by otherwise there's better things IMO in No Colo or Southern Wyoming and you won't burn a couple days just getting to and from.
View Quote
Wife and I are going up to Grand lake the middle week of Aug. We will check out steamboat springs. Any other advice for the western slope visit. We are staying at winding river rv resort right outside of grand lake near the western entrance.

Is it legal for me to have a 17 round mag while i visit the state too?
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 4:28:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Steamboat Springs is awesome if you have the time. Beautiful city with lots of history and things to do. I would spend at least 3 days there if I were you.

In RMNP:
I would drive over Old Fall River Road, take your time! It's an amazing slice of history.

OP, do you hike? There's some easy hikes that are outstanding in RMNP, depends on your physical condition of course.
Budgetary Constraints?

17 round mag- you should be fine.

I would rent a small to medium sized SUV, for Fall River Road mainly.

here's what I would do:

Drive up to Silverthorne / Dillon and spend 2 nights there, look around. Lots and lots to do  - dining, culture, history.
Drive from Silverthorne up to Steamboat Springs via HWY 9.  2-3 nights in Steamboat Springs.
Drive from Steamboat to Grand Lake- spend 1 night there and look around. (or skip and go straight to Estes)
Drive from Grand Lake over Trail Ridge Road to Estes Park. Spend 4-7 days there.
From Estes Park, take HWY 7 south past Longs Peak to St. Malo's Chapel on the Rock. continue on 72 / 119 to Blackhawk. Overnight in Blackhawk. (or skip this and take 7 to 66 to I-25)
From Blackhawk it's not hard to get to DIA to fly out.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 4:40:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
You should be fine with an SUV/CUV. I think some people do it in cars, but I wouldn't think that's a good idea.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 6:50:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Thank you for your suggestions. I definitely plan on some kind of SUV or similar.  We like to hike, but I just had my Hip replaced at the end of March.  We have been going out Hiking around here. Just 1-2 miles at a time.  I am just really feeling good again, but I am not trying anything labeled difficult. I defiantly will do some hiking, but will probably stay under 4-5miles.
 Djkest  you have really helped planning our stay.  Everything you suggest sounds like what we want to do. We are thinking 7-10 days.  What are thoughts on after Labor Day?  Kids should be back to school so hopefully we would miss the Brady bunches. How is the weather In Sept? Prices seem a little better too.  Thanks
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 2:49:24 PM EDT
[#15]
September is kind a crapshoot. You can get some great fall colors but it often dips below freezing at night/early morning and occasionally will be cold all day and/or snow. It could also be in the high 70s and SUPER dry.
September is the beginning of what some call "mud season" or shoulder season in Colorado high country.

One advantage is usually the monsoonal moisture pattern (daily afternoon T-storms) typically breaks sometime in mid to late september.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 5:05:48 PM EDT
[#16]
the later in september you go, the more chance you'll see/hear/experience rutting elk
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top