Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/12/2015 6:30:02 PM EDT
I need to upgrade from a Ranger so I can haul and tow more.  I was thinking of a base model F-150 XL.  Turns out they don't seem to actually exist.  I called Parr Ford and they don't have one.  Titus-Will says they found one in CA; otherwise I could order one from the factory.  Doesn't anyone want a base model pickup anymore?

Randy
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 8:46:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Is there a specific reason, besides price, that you don't want an XLT ? I realize the XLT costs more based on MSRP.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 11:08:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Just price.  I suppose the base model XL is normally a fleet truck.

Randy
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 11:24:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Try calling AutoNation Ford Bellevue. Their showroom burnt to the ground a month ago and they have a ton of inventory parked off site still.

I'm betting you can get a good deal right now, as they'll want to retain customers while the new showroom is being built.

http://www.autonationfordbellevue.com/

Link Posted: 7/13/2015 12:28:17 AM EDT
[#4]
I used toget them through hertz and or e prise rental although I havnt seen and actually havnt looked lately what they are bringing id sell it for 500.00 over cost of aquisiton post shop inspection if you want,however  if you want drop me aline and I can see if there is some available or I can sell you a new Nissan titan for 500.00 under invoice plus any rebates/incenive rates. Im with advantage nissan in Bremerton.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 1:50:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Here's the dirty little secret: most people don't need all the doo-dads on trucks these days and would actually prefer a base model. Truck-makers on the otherhand make less profit on base models. That said, in their commercials they want to be able to say "starts at $29,999"...so they need a base model with a nice price. In the end, they make a tiny amount of those trucks...which get bought up FAST....and then everyone is left to buy the more expensive models that the truck co actually wants to make.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 1:59:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 7:45:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Previous body style the most basic you could find on the lots was usually the STX, which in my opinion was pretty nicely equipped but not fancy. I have no idea about the 2015+.

Given any thought to looking at different brands? I have to say the king of the basic truck is Toyota. I drove a 2015 Tundra Crewmax SR5 4x4 with the 5.7 v8 in it recently and was pretty impressed. Column shifter with a real bench seat up front and the standard features were everything you need and nothing you don't. If it wasn't for the fact I love my Tacoma I would've bought it. I was told $35k for the crewmax, $32k for the double cab and that wasn't with any negotiating.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 7:47:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Legacy in Pasco has one. Definitely a good dealer to deal with too, no bullshit.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 10:16:09 AM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have to say the king of the basic truck is Toyota.
View Quote

The King of all vehicles is.....

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2015/01/06/pickups-best-selling-vehicles-2014/21334373/
Top three all American trucks.
No qualifiers.  

Link Posted: 7/13/2015 12:17:09 PM EDT
[#10]
How basic are you looking for? As in 2WD, plain white, absolutely no options?
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 2:21:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Basic as in 2WD, any color, reg cab/bed.  I'll take the 3.5L or 2.7L engines.

Randy
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 7:30:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2015/01/06/pickups-best-selling-vehicles-2014/21334373/

No qualifiers.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have to say the king of the basic truck is Toyota.

No qualifiers.  

You must not have been paying attention. Sure the big 3 are better selling, but for the most part the most basic trucks you can buy will still be a Toyota. On the lots for Dodge, Ford, and GM you will find the factory bro mobiles with 20"+ wheels and optioned out. I can pretty much go to any Toyota dealer and find a steel wheeled base model SR package truck.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 7:33:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Here's a single cab 4wd with the 3.5l v6. I think you'll have a hard time finding a 2wd without ordering one or going to California. Definitely won't find a basic Ford west of the Cascades.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 8:35:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Ford of Kirkland

Long box though

How bout this one?

Sir James...
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 10:48:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Not even close.  It is an extended cab and much more expensive than the base model.

Randy
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:48:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Legacy in Pasco has one. Definitely a good dealer to deal with too, no bullshit.
View Quote

Yep and ask for Josh.  He's the guy that writes the checks.  
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 3:51:30 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Here's the dirty little secret: most people don't need all the doo-dads on trucks these days and would actually prefer a base model. snip
View Quote
That sounds like a load.

Why would anyone buy a new truck if it wasn't for the nice stuff that came with it?

If "most people" perfected base models, they'd make more base models.
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 1:04:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Josh sold out but still has the dealership in La Grand, OR.  Heard that the new ownership of the Pasco Ford is crappy shisters
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 5:09:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 6:48:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Fugate Ford in Enumclaw had one as of a few weeks ago.  Ask for Edwardo (sp?).
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 6:55:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Josh sold out but still has the dealership in La Grand, OR.  Heard that the new ownership of the Pasco Ford is crappy shisters
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just like every other Ford Dealer then...
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 8:47:30 PM EDT
[#22]
I had a dealer call me about one last month.  Going to wait until next year then order one.

Randy
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 7:41:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Settle for a Chevy or a Ram and head to Dave Smith in Kellogg, ID.

Bought a new Ram 2500 there a couple months ago. I'll never buy a new vehicle anywhere else.

Talk about hassle free buying. They give you the numbers over the phone and that's exactly what you get when you get there. Tacoma Dodge had 3 Ram 2500's in stock. Dave Smith had 563 in stock. Guess who had the model I wanted?

Largest Ram dealer in the country and largest Chevy dealer in the NW.

It's worth an email to them.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 11:05:03 PM EDT
[#24]
All I need is a regular cab/bed with 2wd which has a base price of about $27K.  I can't get that in Kellog as he is not selling Fords and the GMC/Chevy trucks he has are all about 10K more as they are 4wd and/or extended cab.  I just need something with a larger payload than my Ranger.

Ranb
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top