Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/19/2014 12:32:56 AM EDT
I recently took over as the State Director for the Convention of States effort in Pa.  If you are connected to any of the state assembly members here in Pa, and would like to help out, let me know.  I'm particularly interested in talking to any forum members who have a relationship with leadership (D or R) in either the house or senate.  Also, there is a petition you can sign on to via the COS website.  It's an easy way to get involved.  Also, if you're a member of an organization that would be interested in a presentation on the COS effort, let me know.  Thanks...
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 4:23:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Maybe tell us a little about what this is....
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 5:06:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Sorry, there have been several threads recently in GD on this topic, I wasn't sure what I would need to bring to the Pa team...in summary, about a year ago Citizens for Self Governance (www.selfgovern.com) started up a grass roots organization called Convention of States (www.conventionofstates.com).  This group is organized in all 50 states and is pushing state legislatures to adopt a resolution that requests Congress call for a convention of the states to discuss and potentially vote on amendments to the US Constitution.  This process is outlined in Article V of the Constitution.  Also last year, Mark Levin's book "The Liberty Amendments" was published.  His book makes suggestions for 11 amendments.  The COS effort is not directly tied to Levin's work, but they are complementary.  COS is calling for a convention to discuss three topics:  limitations on federal power and jurisdiction, federal spending controls and term limits for Congress.  It takes 34 states passing the essentially same resolution language to get a convention called.  So far 3 have done so:  Georgia, Florida and Alaska.  (Note: around 23-24 states have passed resolutions calling for a balanced budget amendment.  This is a completely separate effort.  If/when 34 states pass a BBA resolution, then a convention would be called just for that topic.)

In parallel with this effort, a number of state legislatures have been meeting to discuss procedures and rules of order for a convention in the event one is called.  The most recent meeting was last month in Indianapolis, about 30 states participated (but not Pa unfortunately).  The next meeting will be late this year, probably in Atlanta.  See www.themountvernonassembly.org.  With respect to my involvement, I am the state director for the COS effort in Pa.  My job is to get the Pa assembly to adopt a resolution that mirrors the language as closely as possible that is contained in the COS resolution template.  There have been several conversations with Pa senate and house members.  The reaction has been generally neutral-positive, but no one has stepped up to sponsor the resolution.  The key will be getting leadership on board.  Until they are, this will not move forward.  Direct contact along with grassroots support (we want to recruit someone to coordinate the local effort in each house district - we have around 20 so far) are two of the keys to getting this done.

Sorry for the lengthy post, tried to cut to the chase.  My perspective on this is the Framers gave us a peaceful way to deal with the monster we know as the Fed Govt - that's the Article V process.  If this doesn't work, then the cliff we're headed for will be a reality.  I'm doing this for my kids and any grandkids.  I'm 59, with $$$ in the bank, no debt and the ability to go off the grid for an extended period.  I won't have to live with the hell this country will be if things don't get turned around.  One key assembly member will be Daryl Metcalfe (House Dist 12, Butler).  He chairs the House committee that will need to hold hearings and pass the resolution prior to a floor vote in the House.  I need to talk to him at some point.  2015 will be a big year for COS...we expect at least 15 states will formally take up the resolution.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:56:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Sorry, there have been several threads recently in GD on this topic, I wasn't sure what I would need to bring to the Pa team...in summary, about a year ago Citizens for Self Governance (www.selfgovern.com) started up a grass roots organization called Convention of States (www.conventionofstates.com).  This group is organized in all 50 states and is pushing state legislatures to adopt a resolution that requests Congress call for a convention of the states to discuss and potentially vote on amendments to the US Constitution.  This process is outlined in Article V of the Constitution.  Also last year, Mark Levin's book "The Liberty Amendments" was published.  His book makes suggestions for 11 amendments.  The COS effort is not directly tied to Levin's work, but they are complementary.  COS is calling for a convention to discuss three topics:  limitations on federal power and jurisdiction, federal spending controls and term limits for Congress.  It takes 34 states passing the essentially same resolution language to get a convention called.  So far 3 have done so:  Georgia, Florida and Alaska.  (Note: around 23-24 states have passed resolutions calling for a balanced budget amendment.  This is a completely separate effort.  If/when 34 states pass a BBA resolution, then a convention would be called just for that topic.)

In parallel with this effort, a number of state legislatures have been meeting to discuss procedures and rules of order for a convention in the event one is called.  The most recent meeting was last month in Indianapolis, about 30 states participated (but not Pa unfortunately).  The next meeting will be late this year, probably in Atlanta.  See www.themountvernonassembly.org.  With respect to my involvement, I am the state director for the COS effort in Pa.  My job is to get the Pa assembly to adopt a resolution that mirrors the language as closely as possible that is contained in the COS resolution template.  There have been several conversations with Pa senate and house members.  The reaction has been generally neutral-positive, but no one has stepped up to sponsor the resolution.  The key will be getting leadership on board.  Until they are, this will not move forward.  Direct contact along with grassroots support (we want to recruit someone to coordinate the local effort in each house district - we have around 20 so far) are two of the keys to getting this done.

Sorry for the lengthy post, tried to cut to the chase.  My perspective on this is the Framers gave us a peaceful way to deal with the monster we know as the Fed Govt - that's the Article V process.  If this doesn't work, then the cliff we're headed for will be a reality.  I'm doing this for my kids and any grandkids.  I'm 59, with $$$ in the bank, no debt and the ability to go off the grid for an extended period.  I won't have to live with the hell this country will be if things don't get turned around.  One key assembly member will be Daryl Metcalfe (House Dist 12, Butler).  He chairs the House committee that will need to hold hearings and pass the resolution prior to a floor vote in the House.  I need to talk to him at some point.  2015 will be a big year for COS...we expect at least 15 states will formally take up the resolution.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Two more things:

1.  On the COS website, if you're inclined, there's a petition in support of an Art V convention effort.  You can sign up online...

2.  If you're a member of a sportsmens/9-12/tea party org and would like to have someone from COS come to one of your meetings and discuss the effort, let me know.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 2:57:29 PM EDT
[#4]
All - for those who are interested in supporting an Article V convention of the states, last week I spoke to Rep Matt Gabler (R-DuBois) about his plans to introduce a resolution in the Assembly this fall.  He has circulated the resolution and a co-sponsor memorandum, and has secured 13 co-sponsors so far.  If you are so inclined, please contact your state rep and ask if he or she would review the resolution and please consider co-sponsoring it.  Let me know if you want more info or want me to assist in any way...thanks very much...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top