Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 7/19/2014 11:22:29 AM EDT
Hey guys! Just moved back to Ohio in April. I'm living in Canal Fulton and was wondering if there are any AR-15 friendly ranges nearby? Kelbly's is bench rest only, looking for somewhere that is a little more flexible. Any recommendations would be great. Are there any local 2 gun matches?
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 12:34:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Kelblys is not bench rest only.  I shoot my ARs there as well.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 3:55:20 PM EDT
[#2]
A & A range
this probably isn't too far for you.  I've never been.  only heard about it.
I've also heard it's like the wild west.  Low priority on gun safety.  anything goes sort of deal..
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 4:13:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 9:47:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Greenport Tactical is south of Canton off of 77.

Greenport

Ashland Lake Gun Club is north of Ashland off of 71.

ALGC
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 12:57:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Riverside range in Cuyahoga Falls.  Indoor, only 25 yards or so but AR friendly.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 2:20:11 PM EDT
[#6]
North Lawernce Fish and Game is a hop,skip and a jump away from you.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 7:09:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Greenport

ALGC
View Quote

+1 for greenport.
You won't find a more AR friendly range around. We have steel to shoot at with rifles on a marked 200 yard range.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 7:23:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

+1 for greenport.
You won't find a more AR friendly range around. We have steel to shoot at with rifles on a marked 200 yard range.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Greenport

ALGC

+1 for greenport.

Shot at greenport tactical last weekend at the 1911 match.

Very friendly people and looks like a very fun facility.

I hear you guys are doing a sniper match in September. How do i get signed up for that? I heard of a meeting but its a bit of a haul for me to do during the week with work.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 3:45:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I hear you guys are doing a sniper match in September. How do i get signed up for that? I heard of a meeting but its a bit of a haul for me to do during the week with work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Greenport

ALGC

+1 for greenport.

Head to the website and sign up for the email alerts. They will announce the particulars closer to the event.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:24:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
A & A range
this probably isn't too far for you.  I've never been.  only heard about it.
I've also heard it's like the wild west.  Low priority on gun safety.  anything goes sort of deal..
View Quote

this is where i go. i like it because i can shoot on the 200 yard range and set up my targets from 25 yards and beyond, and be able to shoot at multiple targets with my rifle and pistol. when i go i get there when they open, then there is no one on the 200 line. im assuming its because the type of people that usually go there are still drunk at that time of the morning.

last time i went, two guys were setting up when we were leaving, they had a giant eagle bag of beer bottles.

the bottles werent empty
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:05:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

They do have a nice range at NLF&G.  
I believe you have to be a member to use the rifle and pistol range.
The trap range and the Sporting clays is open, at a cost, to the public!
I also do not think they allow speed shooting!! That was what I was told.
No one likes it!!!
Hey it is close to you!!!

PITA45
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:41:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've shot AR15s, M14s, etc, at Kelblys for 20 years.  Set up for benchrest with concrete benches for sure, but there's no limit on what you shoot I'm aware of.

AA is a trash dump and unsafe in my opinion -- not the range, the shooters there.  And it's gotta be an hour drive from Canal Fulton.  Kelbly is 15 minutes (?).

You have to go down to Tusco for really decent ranges.  Check their schedule, there's usually an open "fun shoot" one Sunday a month.  Lots of disposable income on display.  

-- Chuck
View Quote

+1 for tusco.  We're having an idpa style shoot this Saturday noon on the 50 yard range.  Public welcome. Multiple ranges to shoot ar on. Ranging from 50-600yds.
http://www.tuscorifle.org/
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:34:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've shot AR15s, M14s, etc, at Kelblys for 20 years.  Set up for benchrest with concrete benches for sure, but there's no limit on what you shoot I'm aware of.

AA is a trash dump and unsafe in my opinion -- not the range, the shooters there.  And it's gotta be an hour drive from Canal Fulton.  Kelbly is 15 minutes (?).

You have to go down to Tusco for really decent ranges.  Check their schedule, there's usually an open "fun shoot" one Sunday a month.  Lots of disposable income on display.  

-- Chuck
View Quote

The whole family goes to Kelbly's and shoot AR's regularly.  No bench rest only rules.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:41:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Last time I called Kelbly's, they were member-only.

Try KC Rifle Pistol Club.

Dan has a great facility!
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 1:58:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

No one likes it!!!

PITA45
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No one likes it!!!

PITA45

Can you elaborate on no one liking this range?

I joined Greenport this year. Unless you are shooting in one of their events Thursday night is the only night available.
I am enjoying GTA though and the $55 membership is reasonable enough.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:53:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:20:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Tusco's steel plate shoots are open to the public.  $10.00 for rifle range 10.00 for the pistol range.

8/10  9/14  10/19  11/9
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:48:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I joined Greenport this year. Unless you are shooting in one of their events Thursday night is the only night available.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No one likes it!!!

PITA45

I just shot there last week(4th or 5th time). The facilities are nice,they have a stocked lake,skeet/trap,dedicated pistol range and 25-200 yard rifle ranges. As far as "speed shooting" I have not had a problem with any of the members when running drills involving controlled pairs/triple taps etc. The club lends itself to a more "sporting" type atmosphere though. So no moving/shooting,getting your weapon up into your "workspace" for proper tac/speed reloads etc.

I will know more about their programs,I intend to look into a membership especially if they have camping (guests of members can shoot for $10 no time limit)

I do know that Ashland Lake Gun Club has a dedicated tactical shooting program,and just about any other program you can think of.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 11:39:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Last time I paid my dues Kelbly's was around 130-140 a year.  I don't think you can beat that for what your get.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 3:52:42 PM EDT
[#20]
In October down at tusco we're  going to  make our  monthly combat pistol shoot a 2 gun event
[youtube] http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj-W2_2B4OA[/youtube]

[youtube]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dsuf_nKHrK8[/youtube]
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 3:41:48 AM EDT
[#21]
last time i went, two guys were setting up when we were leaving, they had a giant eagle bag of beer bottles.

the bottles were empty.
View Quote

kinda like my ONE and ONLY visit to A & A a few years ago.

everywhere I go I do the standard "look around" deal--sweep the vista.

busted glass, metal shards everywhere for openers.

guys walking/running around with all forms of loaded firearms not on "Safety," fingers glued to the triggers, ..even pointing them laughingly at one another!

I didn't even bother to set up, paid the few $$, and got back in the p/u and drove back home. UGH!

if you've got a huge disability or life insurance policy and like Russian roulette, it's definitely the place for you....
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 5:04:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

guys walking/running around with all forms of loaded firearms not on "Safety," fingers glued to the triggers, ..even pointing them laughingly at one another!

I didn't even bother to set up, paid the few $$, and got back in the p/u and drove back home. UGH!

if you've got a huge disability or life insurance policy and like Russian roulette, it's definitely the place for you....
View All Quotes
Quoted:

the bottles were empty.

I love it there… nobody looking over my shoulder, let me setup whatever I want on the range and shoot it up… seen a guy haul a tube tv out onto the range and blast the hell out of it…  The only time I have gotten nervous is when a few asian guys show up with a NIB AR and start setting up, one of them stands in front of the firing line taking pics!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 2:39:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I love it there… nobody looking over my shoulder, let me setup whatever I want on the range and shoot it up… seen a guy haul a tube tv out onto the range and blast the hell out of it…  The only time I have gotten nervous is when a few asian guys show up with a NIB AR and start setting up, one of them stands in front of the firing line taking pics!!!!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the bottles were empty.

i like going there too.  may be a dump to others but for me its the only place that is ar friendly and is open to the public and 200yd range is usually empty and i can set up multiple targets
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 10:30:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

i like going there too.  may be a dump to others but for me its the only place that is ar friendly and is open to the public and 200yd range is usually empty and i can set up multiple targets
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

the bottles were empty.

Somehow my post was misquoted. The beer bottles were NOT empty. As in, they planned on drinking while on the line.

Anywho, it's still my go to range for some of the other reasons mentioned. I just get there early before the buttfuckery starts and I have a good time.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 5:53:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No one likes it!!!

PITA45

By and large the GTA members are a great bunch of people, I have known many of them for years.   You can go there as a visitor and "give them a try'  
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:04:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The club lends itself to a more "sporting" type atmosphere though. So no moving/shooting,getting your weapon up into your "workspace" for proper tac/speed reloads etc.
View Quote

For pistol, we do run monthly action pistol matches there (using full USPSA rules; they just aren't affiliated, so it's not actually a USPSA match, and no classifiers). Unfortunately, this year they nixed the use of steel on all ranges after some supposed complaints about rounds leaving the range (funny how nobody ever complained for the many, many years they shot silhouette there, and funny how the complaints came from a direction where ricochets from steel would have zero chance of reaching). We got the okay to use some of those self-sealing polymer targets instead, so we can still maintain some variety. (The plates actually work pretty decently, but the poppers are a pain - to get them to fall consistently, they tend to also fall in the wind.) Hopefully they'll eventually allow the use of steel again, at least for supervised events if not for general shooting.

I don't know why anybody would say they don't really like NLFG. Though I'm not a member, I help out at numerous events there and shoot clays from time to time. Their facilities are pretty decent and the people all seem nice enough. The membership fees did go up a few years ago - they used to be pretty cheap, but with a huge initiation fee. My understanding is that they still have the huge initiation fee, but now are up in price closer to some of the other clubs around (like CMRPC).
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top