Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2016 6:26:46 PM EDT
I'll be spending four days at Wolfson Childrens Hospital in March. Won't have a whole bunch of free time, mostly after six.

Good food recommendations in the area?
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 9:00:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Pizza Palace has pretty good pizza in that area. Bistro Aix, Taverna are higher end options. The Loop in San Marco is an old standby burgers and fries type place, though they no longer make what made them successful, chicago style pizza. V Pizza is good and has a good low key bar attached called Sidecar. They also have the best wings in town IMO, though they are not traditional hot wings, more like brick oven fired. There's a Starbucks in San Marco in case you like their coffee. There is a Hurricane's Wings nearby. There is a mexican restaurant on Hendricks Ave called La Napolera that is decent, though in a run down building. There is a famous, and IMO, overrated breakfast and lunch diner on Hendricks Ave a little south called Metro Diner. There is another semi high end place called bb's on Hendricks Ave. It's probably my favorite of the higher end restaurants in the area. There is a good burger place called M-Shack in San Marco. Good milkshakes can be had there as well. All of these are within 5 minutes of the hospital.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 9:11:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks a bunch.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 9:40:44 PM EDT
[#3]
No problem at all. I have a daughter who spent some time in their NICU and they are top notch. My wife is now very involved in fundraising for the hospital.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 1:51:27 AM EDT
[#4]
It has been a while since I have been there, but there is also European Street Cafe in San Marco not too far from the hospital.  You can check out their website for a full menu of the variety of food and the 200 or so beers from around the world that they have.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 10:19:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Only thing I'd add to Wally is that a pretty low key breakfast spot that I feel is way better than Metro Diner is Southern Grille.  Still super close to will you will be at if you need something in the morning.  They are also open for lunch and have a crazy menu with pretty much everything you could want on it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 11:34:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No problem at all. I have a daughter who spent some time in their NICU and they are top notch. My wife is now very involved in fundraising for the hospital.
View Quote

Hope your daughter is doing well.

My wife is a 15 year NICU-RN. All those ladies (and gents) are angels.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 12:08:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

She is doing great, thanks!  She was just born prematurely and had to be in an incubator for a while. She is now four and the biggest kid in her class. Crazy how they rebound so quickly.

Quoted:
Only thing I'd add to Wally is that a pretty low key breakfast spot that I feel is way better than Metro Diner is Southern Grille.  Still super close to will you will be at if you need something in the morning.  They are also open for lunch and have a crazy menu with pretty much everything you could want on it.

Where is Southern Grille? I live a stone's throw away from San Marco and I've never heard of it. Am always looking for good breakfast spots and right now my go to is Uptown Kitchen in Springfield.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 1:11:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Where is Southern Grille? I live a stone's throw away from San Marco and I've never heard of it. Am always looking for good breakfast spots and right now my go to is Uptown Kitchen in Springfield.

http://thesoutherngrilljax.com/

800 Flagler Avenue

Pretty much next door to Stein Mart Building and parking garage.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 3:52:37 PM EDT
[#9]
European Street Cafe, sausage sampler with German potato salad and an Oktoberfest.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 4:10:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I miss The Old South restaurant.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 2:27:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Not sure than M-Shack location in San Pablo is permanent. It might be a food truck, and not stationary during the "winter" months at that location.

Ruth Chris' is close in case you happen to be Donald Trump.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 2:32:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

800 Flagler Avenue

View Quote

Heh I know the owner of that place, he works hard. His daughter goes to school and is friends with mine. Good dude.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 3:15:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Heh I know the owner of that place, he works hard. His daughter goes to school and is friends with mine. Good dude.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

800 Flagler Avenue

What do you know I do too! It's hard to keep up with all of the Ramallah-owned restaurants in town.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 10:06:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Beach Road Chicken FTW!
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 11:00:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Beach Road Chicken FTW!
View Quote

When was the last time you ate there??
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 1:55:23 PM EDT
[#16]
We get it Catered at work often.
Maybe they make it fresh for us
Always better than cold pizza lol

2nd option.. Trip to St. Augustine
http://osteensrestaurant.com/
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 6:02:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Great info.

Just been told I'll be there longer than I expected. l have all day Sunday to kill.

Boss booked the Omni, reviews are 50/50. Supposed to be near stuff to do....should I change now while I still can?

Kinda wanted to stay here:

Link Posted: 1/24/2016 7:42:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Great info.

Just been told I'll be there longer than I expected. l have all day Sunday to kill.

Boss booked the Omni, reviews are 50/50. Supposed to be near stuff to do....should I change now while I still can?

Kinda wanted to stay here:

http://i.imgur.com/8HSO8c2.jpg
View Quote

Depends on if you need easy access to crack and crack whores.
I hope you were joking
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 8:05:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Gator lodge is where I told him I had already booked....lol

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 8:10:37 PM EDT
[#20]
A police officer once drove me through the neighborhood behind gator lodge and pointed out about a dozen bullet holes in various houses.

Omni is fine. It's actually about three blocks from my office. The only other decent hotel in the area of where you are staying is the Hyatt Regency.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 2:53:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Pizza Palace has pretty good pizza in that area. Bistro Aix, Taverna are higher end options. The Loop in San Marco is an old standby burgers and fries type place, though they no longer make what made them successful, chicago style pizza. V Pizza is good and has a good low key bar attached called Sidecar. They also have the best wings in town IMO, though they are not traditional hot wings, more like brick oven fired. There's a Starbucks in San Marco in case you like their coffee. There is a Hurricane's Wings nearby. There is a mexican restaurant on Hendricks Ave called La Napolera that is decent, though in a run down building. There is a famous, and IMO, overrated breakfast and lunch diner on Hendricks Ave a little south called Metro Diner. There is another semi high end place called bb's on Hendricks Ave. It's probably my favorite of the higher end restaurants in the area. There is a good burger place called M-Shack in San Marco. Good milkshakes can be had there as well. All of these are within 5 minutes of the hospital.
View Quote

All excellent suggestions, although I really like the Metro Diner. They have the best grilled cheese sandwiches.
Try the roasted marshmallow milk shake at M-Shack. Sugar overkill!
The San Marco area is close to you. Most of the restaurants mentioned above are there. I'll add the Beach Diner and the Maple Street Biscuit Company. Both are good for breakfast.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 2:55:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Beach Road Chicken FTW!

I eat Beach Road chicken a lot. When I do a video shoot downtown, the producer likes to cater Beach Road.chicken.
It's tasty!
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 6:51:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Good thing about Gator Lodge is it's hourly so no long-term commitments.

M-Shack shakes are yummy. Had lunch at La Nop yesterday. Chart House is good for a nice dinner. Don't forget River City Brewery.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 11:20:58 PM EDT
[#24]
I might have to extend the stay to eat at all these places....
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 3:29:30 AM EDT
[#25]
there isn't much to do in the down town area, as it is like a lot of the other big city down towns.

they have been trying to revitaize it, but there is still a lot of homeless around, and there is crime down there, esp. at night. I would not recommend walking alone down there after sun set.

other things -

there is a local place downtown known as burrito gallery that is good.

there is another area known as five points that has several places that are good too, from wolfson's take the bridge east to park, and get off park and drive south. you pass a park on the left, then reach a traffic light in the intersection. next street is margaret, take left an on the left after a few blocks is the mossfire grill. on the right a bit further is a shopping center with a publix.

mossfire is good, there is a sushi place in the shopping center, and other stuff in the area, and the place is more walking friendly, as long as it isn't too late (there have been a few stories of people having cars stop and people jumping out to rob them occassionally)

and if you want to drive, there is the local gun gallery, where a lot of jacksonville arfcom people frequent

omni hotel to hart bridge to beach blvd east, past southside blvd, start looking for blue and white building on the right.

Link Posted: 1/30/2016 2:42:46 PM EDT
[#26]
The1911 Gun Gallery?

I'll need to bring more money now....

Link Posted: 1/30/2016 3:48:42 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

The1911 Gun Gallery?

I'll need to bring more money now....

View Quote

http://www.gungalleryjax.com/armory/pc/home.asp

indoor shooting range, gun shop with ar's, parts and accessories, along with usual selection of hand guns.

several of the employees are members here, and are good guys...

Link Posted: 1/31/2016 7:17:25 PM EDT
[#28]
If it is the adults - Jax Beach is fun - the locals call it the "corner" - go check out Ragtimes - good place to eat - good beer and they typicaly have some great bands.  If you like retro disco - find out where the Boogie Freaks are playing - I promise that this be a fun night.

Not too far south is St. Augustine - all kinds of things to see and do.

They even have the Alagator Farm so you can see some real gators up close and personal!  LOL

http://www.alligatorfarm.com/

I hope this helps,

Red

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 12:11:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
If it is the adults - Jax Beach is fun - the locals call it the "corner" - go check out Ragtimes - good place to eat - good beer and they typicaly have some great bands.  If you like retro disco - find out where the Boogie Freaks are playing - I promise that this be a fun night.

Not too far south is St. Augustine - all kinds of things to see and do.

They even have the Alagator Farm so you can see some real gators up close and personal!  LOL

http://www.alligatorfarm.com/

I hope this helps,

Red

View Quote

let me know if you make it to AB/NB.

BBQ = http://www.jenkinsqualitybarbecue.com/  Daytime Only!

great choice on care btw, they are excellent.

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 11:19:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you are referring to the hospital, I'm going on a quest for knowledge....

Buddy and I are going to learn to put PICC lines in pediatric patients, then start the program here at home.

I've heard nothing but good things about Wolfson.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 1:58:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Buddy and I are going to learn to put PICC lines in pediatric patients, then start the program here at home.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My nephew had surgery there a few yrs back.  FWIW, I grew up in this town and my father was a surgeon here.  I’ve never heard a bad word about that hospital.

Link Posted: 3/6/2016 8:33:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Here....Omni seems ok. At landings.... some Irish joint.

Link Posted: 3/7/2016 12:04:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Bars at the landing aren't so great. If you've got a car or can catch an Uber there's a couple nice bars down the street. Dos Gatos across from the Florida theater is nice.  There's also Volstead  a few blocks over.
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 12:10:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Noted.

Crashing. Have little people to see in the morning.

If anyone is down here tomorrow night shoot me am IM.
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 7:52:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I personally know the CMO. College roommates with his son. Very good guy.
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 8:59:31 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Here....Omni seems ok. At landings.... some Irish joint.

View Quote

Sounds like Fionn McCool's.

Link Posted: 3/8/2016 5:45:14 PM EDT
[#37]

Wolfson is an awesome hospital. I feel privileged to be learning here.

Link Posted: 3/8/2016 8:30:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Heading back to McCools.

I'll be the inky at the bar with the Bulldog Amsterdam tshirt on.

I'm buying for Arfcommers. Better hurry.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top