Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 6:29:15 AM EDT
[#1]
To me the only appeal to open carry is not getting in trouble if my ccw gets exposed accidentally.   I know we are supposed to have this already, but the statute is poorly written at best.

I am much more interested in campus carry since I do end up on college campuses from time to time.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 7:32:46 AM EDT
[#2]
probably not yet. but every time someone files a bill it helps. the populace talks about it and learns just a little bit more about it.

the campus carry thing has followed this route (nationwide). Also helps that there were positive outcomes from the elections (FL).
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 9:48:06 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm still pissed about the last attempt.   I will never trust or support Marion Hammer again.

Before the "negotiation":

After the "negotiation":
"SB-234 and HB-517 were filed on behalf of NRA and USF and they were NEVER about “open carry.”
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 10:42:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 11:03:51 AM EDT
[#5]
I can remember when open carry was the law and concealed was illegal.

In GA you can carry either way with a permit and hopefully it will be the same here before too long. Not that I'd carry open, but I'd like the option of less concealment; shirt tail over the gun etc. Ultimately, Constitutional Carry.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 11:07:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm still pissed about the last attempt.   I will never trust or support Marion Hammer again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzVJn3JkXOQ

After the "negotiation":
"SB-234 and HB-517 were filed on behalf of NRA and USF and they were NEVER about “open carry.”
View Quote

I will NEVER understand the reason fr her flip flop and abandoning us on this issue.

I can "speculate" but  why she caved to the anti gun special interests behind closed doors  at the 11th hour is still a mystery to me.

Open carry was a done deal and then suddenly.....it was gone; leaving Florida on of only a handful of states where general open carry is still illegal.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 11:59:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
To me the only appeal to open carry is not getting in trouble if my ccw gets exposed accidentally.   I know we are supposed to have this already, but the statute is poorly written at best.

I am much more interested in campus carry since I do end up on college campuses from time to time.
View Quote

Same here. I'd like to not have to worry about showing my ccw. However, I probably would open carry pretty often if it was finally legal.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 12:16:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
We can never stop expanding/protecting our constitutional rights.
View Quote

Agree 100%!
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 3:41:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 4:12:13 PM EDT
[#10]
When I open carry on my farm in an OWB holster it is so damn comfy. The option to exercise a right in which u have various carry options is appealing.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 7:30:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Agree 100%!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agree 100%!

This ^

Link Posted: 9/19/2015 1:07:15 PM EDT
[#12]
While I'm not a fan of OC for my own reasons, I firmly support the expansion of gun rights and hope the bill succeeds.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 1:25:18 PM EDT
[#13]
I accidently spent 5 minutes in a pawn shop with my shirt tucked inside my carry piece.
So yeh, could use open carry until my brain heals up.

Spoke to everone in the store and they didn't see it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 6:51:48 PM EDT
[#14]
we have a reasonably gun friendly Republican Governor.  We have a heavily GOP House and Senate.  The only reason we don't have open carry is that the so called Conservatives in the Florida Senate never let the bill get to the floor.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 11:50:13 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I can remember when open carry was the law and concealed was illegal.

In GA you can carry either way with a permit and hopefully it will be the same here before too long. Not that I'd carry open, but I'd like the option of less concealment; shirt tail over the gun etc. Ultimately, Constitutional Carry.

View Quote

Agreed.
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 4:53:13 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I will NEVER understand the reason fr her flip flop and abandoning us on this issue.

I can "speculate" but  why she caved to the anti gun special interests behind closed doors  at the 11th hour is still a mystery to me.

Open carry was a done deal and then suddenly.....it was gone; leaving Florida on of only a handful of states where general open carry is still illegal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzVJn3JkXOQ

After the "negotiation":

"SB-234 and HB-517 were filed on behalf of NRA and USF and they were NEVER about "open carry.”

I just assume that she got a good retirement package in that room.

Link Posted: 9/20/2015 8:58:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I accidently spent 5 minutes in a pawn shop with my shirt tucked inside my carry piece.
So yeh, could use open carry until my brain heals up.

Spoke to everone in the store and they didn't see it.
View Quote

Has happened to me sometimes, the sheeple live in there own world and rarely have any situational awareness, heck you can walk around with a slung sub gun and no one will notice.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 10:18:46 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View Quote

Part 1 I fully agree with.

Part 2 no so much. Though campus carry is important, legislation that grants rights to the vast majority v. the vast minority are far more important.

Open carry > campus carry.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 10:19:53 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Agree 100%!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Agree 100%!

Ditto.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 11:09:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Ditto.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agree 100%!

Ditto.

Absolutely.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 7:49:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Part 2 no so much. Though campus carry is important, legislation that grants rights to the vast majority v. the vast minority are far more important.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don’t let them think they can choose which rights to restore.

Get both.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 8:55:55 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Get both.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Get both.

I agree...however I put far more weight in to 2A issues that effect the most people, not the fewest.

That's not to diminish campus carry, but more so choosing which fight restores the most rights to the most people. Campus carry is a somewhat provincial issue while open carry effects every single CCW holder in the state.

Both have merit. Both matter. Not every gun issue gets floor time simultaneously so IMO, open carry is where the brunt of the fight should be directed.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 6:52:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Brevard County Sheriff Wayne Ivey came out supporting both. Kinda glad I voted for the guy.

http://www.breitbart.com/texas/2015/09/24/florida-sheriff-campus-carry-open-carry-part-exercising-2nd-amendment/
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 7:23:38 PM EDT
[#24]

Just because you want it A, im gonna say no!
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 9:21:13 PM EDT
[#25]
I hope it passes just so I can walk down the beach wearing nothing but my speedos and my old sixgun gun quick draw rig...
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 12:11:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 7:08:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Someone pass the eye bleach !!!!!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hope it passes just so I can walk down the beach wearing nothing but my speedos and my old sixgun gun quick draw rig...

Wow, Gary's post is making me rethink my support of OC.

Link Posted: 9/30/2015 8:27:52 AM EDT
[#28]

When I do I will be sure to post pictures.....
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 9:31:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

When I do I will be sure to post pictures.....
View Quote

In that case I'm going over to the Bloomberg side.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 9:34:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh544/SunSeekerHawk/speedo-gun-guy-250x274_zps8f900a0a.png
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh544/SunSeekerHawk/speedo-gun-guy-250x274_zps8f900a0a.png

The most frightening thing about that picture is there's good many of us who don't even look that good.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 11:16:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/1/2015 9:44:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Hope Open Carry and Campus Carry passes.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 7:14:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

I got an email from my house rep this morning and it mentioned a bill about campus carry. I had not heard about it all before reading that. Is HB4001 what you all are talking about? Is it campus carry and open carry?

If it is, I say Yaaahooo!

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 7:56:55 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I got an email from my house rep this morning and it mentioned a bill about campus carry. I had not heard about it all before reading that. Is HB4001 what you all are talking about? Is it campus carry and open carry?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

And I'll believe open carry in FL when I see it.

Lots of talk in the past, we'll see.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 9:05:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Open carry is part of the bill. Here is a link to information about it.

https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2016/4001/?Tab=BillHistory

I wrote my rep this morning thanking him for putting that in his news letter. I asked him to support it. Have you?
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 9:09:56 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I wrote my rep this morning thanking him for putting that in his news letter. I asked him to support it. Have you?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Multiple times.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 10:59:14 AM EDT
[#37]
I read in the House bill text that it removed the provision against carrying on university property.

I see no reference to openly carrying being stricken or added.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 12:13:57 PM EDT
[#38]
It only mentions OC as it relates to being allowed on campuses...at least the way I read it.  Attorney types chime in.

An act relating to licenses to carry concealed weapons or firearms; amending s. 790.06, F.S.; deleting a provision prohibiting concealed carry licensees from openly carrying a handgun or carrying a concealed weapon or firearm into a college or university facility; providing an effective date.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 1:58:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
It only mentions OC as it relates to being allowed on campuses...at least the way I read it.  Attorney types chime in.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

An act relating to licenses to carry concealed weapons or firearms; amending s. 790.06, F.S.; deleting a provision prohibiting concealed carry licensees from openly carrying a handgun or carrying a concealed weapon or firearm into a college or university facility; providing an effective date.

You are mixing up the bills.

HB4001 is the campus carry bill. All it does is delete subsection 13 of 790.06 (which prohibits concealed and open carry by CWFL holders on univeristy/college facilities)
13. Any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student, employee, or faculty member of such college or university and the weapon is a stun gun or nonlethal electric weapon or device designed solely for defensive purposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile;

Which, as of right now will only allow concealed carry (with a CWFL) because open carry is still unlawful under 790.053

HB 163 is the bill that will (among other things) permit open carry everywhere concealed carry is permitted with a CWFL. - Changes 790.053.

So...

HB 4001 passes and 163 does not = licensed concealed carry on campus.

HB 4001 passes and 163 also passes = licensed concealed and open carry on campus.Plus open carry everywhere else concealed carry is permitted.

HB 4001 does not pass and 163 does = licensed open carry everywhere concealed carry is permitted (but not on campus)

Neither pass = no change.

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 9:46:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Thanks for keeping this up to date fellas. Do you know when the bill is suppose to hit the floor for votes?
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:54:05 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Thanks for keeping this up to date fellas. Do you know when the bill is suppose to hit the floor for votes?
View Quote

Heres a link to information on HB 163

http://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2016/0163/?Tab=BillHistory
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:55:01 AM EDT
[#42]
I believe there are currently only 3 other states besides Florida that ban open carry, it's inexcusable  for it to remain illegal here.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 10:00:18 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I believe there are currently only 3 other states besides Florida that ban open carry, it's inexcusable  for it to remain illegal here.
View Quote
NY
CA

NJ

DC

SC

FL

IL

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 10:48:58 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
NYCA
NJ
DC
SC
FL
IL

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
NYCA
NJ
DC
SC
FL
IL

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:11:11 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

NYCA

NJ

DC

SC

FL

IL

http://images.dailykos.com/images/146140/large/Open-Carry-USA-Revised.jpg?1433102011

CA banned loaded open carry when Reagan was Governor and Unloaded Open Carry was banned last year or the year before under Jerry Brown.

NJ is May Issue for Permits and no one... I mean no one gets a permit. So for the most part they are a no OC/CCW state.

You can take Texas off the list.

NY, IL, DC, and FL are self explanatory.

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 1:53:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

http://si.wsj.net/public/resources/images/OG-AC384_openca_G_20140822132909.jpg

CA banned loaded open carry when Reagan was Governor and Unloaded Open Carry was banned last year or the year before under Jerry Brown.

NJ is May Issue for Permits and no one... I mean no one gets a permit. So for the most part they are a no OC/CCW state.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
NYCA
NJ
DC
SC
FL
IL

http://images.dailykos.com/images/146140/large/Open-Carry-USA-Revised.jpg?1433102011

http://si.wsj.net/public/resources/images/OG-AC384_openca_G_20140822132909.jpg

DC isn't a state, and New Jersey, regardless of the difficulty in obtaining a permit, is, in fact,  an open carry state.

Adding California to the list results in there being only 4 states in addition to Florida where open carry is illegal.

If I were writing my representatives to make the case that Florida is one of only a tiny handful of states where open carry is illegal; I'd leave New Jersey and DC out of the "no open carry" "states".

Just sayin'.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 7:48:59 AM EDT
[#47]
I am surprised open carry .org hasn't updated their site regarding Texas.

http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=103
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 11:59:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I am surprised open carry .org hasn't updated their site regarding Texas.

http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=103
View Quote

The email they just sent out has the updated map.

Contact the right people if you care about this:

PLEASE EMAIL Members of the House Criminal Justice Subcommittee NOW.

Subject (use exact text below):
SUPPORT HB-163 - Protect the Right to Bear Arms

Copy and Paste the following email addresses
To:
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

Here's the breakdown of how the bill protects the rights of gun owners.

Section 1 - Strict Scrutiny of all statutes implicating the Right to Keep and Bear Arms and Self-Defense
The judiciary shall employ strict scrutiny in reviewing any statute that implicates the right to bear arms or defend one's self pursuant to this chapter. The right to bear arms is a fundamental and individual right that exists in any place that a person has the right to be, subject only to exceptionally and narrowly tailored restrictions that employ the least possible restriction on the right in order to achieve a compelling government interest.

Section 2 - Arrest only for Unlicensed Concealed Carry (Technical Amendment)
The unlicensed carrying of a concealed weapon is declared a breach of peace, and any officer authorized to make arrests under the laws of this state may make arrests without warrant.

Section 3 - Licensed Open Carry & Prohibition on Infringing Gun Owner Rights
A person licensed to carry a concealed firearm or weapon pursuant to this chapter may openly carry such firearm or weapon...
Unless probable cause exists to believe that a crime has been committed by an individual, any person or entity infringing upon the rights conferred on that individual by (Florida Law), the State Constitution, or the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution is liable pursuant to s. 790.33(3)(c), (d), (e), and (f). Notwithstanding any other law, no immunity shall apply to persons infringing on such rights in violation of this subsection.
Section 4 - Legislative Findings that Lawful Carry Enhances Public Safety and Strict Scrutiny of 790.25

The Legislature finds as a matter of public policy and fact that the possession and carrying of weapons and firearms by law-abiding individuals for lawful purposes, including self-defense, enhances public safety...

The judiciary shall construe this act in conjunction with the right to bear arms or defend one's self as provided in chapter 776. The right to bear arms and defend one's self is a fundamental and individual right that exists in any place that a person has the right to be, subject only to exceptionally and narrowly tailored restrictions that employ the least possible restriction on the right in order to achieve a compelling government interest.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 6:12:41 AM EDT
[#49]
Email sent
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 9:04:17 AM EDT
[#50]
Done

Here is what I sent.

As a Floridian and a member of the law encorcement community as a State Police Officer for the State of Florida I fully support the right of my fellow citizenry to carry a firearm for self defense both openly and concealed. Furthermore I support that they may carry in a college or university.

In my tenure as a member of the law enforcement community I know that when seconds count, law enforcement is minutes away. This is not in anyway a disparaging remark towards my brothers and sisters that wear the badge. This is just a fact of life. On November 20th, 2014, Myron May went to the Strozier Library at Florida State University and shot three people and later was killed by law enforcement in a violent standoff.

One of the victims of the shooting was a licensed Florida Concealed Weapon Permit holder and a law abiding citizen. As such he followed the law and was unarmed. Florida State University has a full time well trained and staffed police department. They responded quickly and did the best they could. Problem is, police are reactionary. The event already occurred and their response was not preventitive. If my fellow Floridian was allowed by law to legally carry his firearm that night. We might not have been injured and a fellow student might not be handicapped for life. He very well could have stopped the threat.

The carrying of guns openly in public is another issue that I fully support. Texas just passed a bill allowing Texans to legally open carry guns wih a permit. Out of the entire country, only New York, Illinois, South Carolina, and Florida ban open carry. The other 46 States in the USA have open carry. No panic, no issues, no jump in crime, no violence in the streets. How is it that Florida is behind the times when it comes to personal liberty such as 2nd Amendment? We pride ourselves on being a State that values and respects the rights and freedoms that our Country promotes. We are such a beacon of liberty that more people come to Florida from other states and other countries. Our economic growth and development is attributed to that freedom. We value a person's wealth to the point that we don't have a State Income Tax, we value a person's home to the point that we have a Homestead Exemption, we value a person's right to economic freedom that we make having and starting a business very easy. Yet why are we lacking in valuing a person's right to self defense and the ability to protect their home, their businesses, and their lives?

I was born and raised in Miami and currently stationed in Miami. My home is in Tallahassee were I was last assigned due to the State's needs. My wife if currently in Tallahassee. She is 500 miles away from me. She is a student of one of the State Universities located in our wonderful Capital. She has a license to carry a concealed weapon. As you may or may not be aware, womens' attire is far harder to conceal a firearm. She carries in her purse, but that in of itself has certain trade offs. It is far easier for a criminal to snatch a purse than it is to take a gun off a person's body while the gun is holstered. But she follows the law, and as such makes the trade off. She is also disarmed since she is a student. The horrible events that occurred at Florida State University and that just occurred at Umpqua Community College in Oregon are prime example of why she should be able to carry on university or college grounds. She can defend herself elsewhere but not at school. She is alone and I'm 500 miles away at the moment. As a husband, it is my job and responsibility to keep my wife safe. My support of HB-163 is part of me doing that.

As such the following explanation should suffice.

Section 1 - Strict Scrutiny of all statutes implicating the Right to Keep and Bear Arms and Self-Defense

The judiciary shall employ strict scrutiny in reviewing any statute that implicates the right to bear arms or defend one's self pursuant to this chapter. The right to bear arms is a fundamental and individual right that exists in any place that a person has the right to be, subject only to exceptionally and narrowly tailored restrictions that employ the least possible restriction on the right in order to achieve a compelling government interest.

Section 2 - Arrest only for Unlicensed Concealed Carry (Technical Amendment)

The unlicensed carrying of a concealed weapon is declared a breach of peace, and any officer authorized to make arrests under the laws of this state may make arrests without warrant.

Section 3 - Licensed Open Carry & Prohibition on Infringing Gun Owner Rights

A person licensed to carry a concealed firearm or weapon pursuant to this chapter may openly carry such firearm or weapon...

Unless probable cause exists to believe that a crime has been committed by an individual, any person or entity infringing upon the rights conferred on that individual by (Florida Law), the State Constitution, or the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution is liable pursuant to s. 790.33(3)(c), (d), (e), and (f). Notwithstanding any other law, no immunity shall apply to persons infringing on such rights in violation of this subsection.

Section 4 - Legislative Findings that Lawful Carry Enhances Public Safety and Strict Scrutiny of 790.25

The Legislature finds as a matter of public policy and fact that the possession and carrying of weapons and firearms by law-abiding individuals for lawful purposes, including self-defense, enhances public safety...

The judiciary shall construe this act in conjunction with the right to bear arms or defend one's self as provided in chapter 776. The right to bear arms and defend one's self is a fundamental and individual right that exists in any place that a person has the right to be, subject only to exceptionally and narrowly tailored restrictions that employ the least possible restriction on the right in order to achieve a compelling government interest.

Thank You

Miami_JBT

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top