Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 1:09:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Sent to all last night as soon as I got the email.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 1:41:23 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Sent to all last night as soon as I got the email.
View Quote

Ditto and I strongly urge others to please contact your reps regarding this.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 5:02:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Contacting the committee members is paramount.

I started a thread in GD on this for those who don't frequent the HT forum (like me):

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1794388_FIREMISSION__Florida_House_Bill_163___Open_Carry_and_Strict_Scrutiny.html
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 6:00:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Done

Here is what I sent.

As a Floridian and a member of the law encorcement community as a State Police Officer for the State of Florida I fully support the right of my fellow citizenry to carry a firearm for self defense both openly and concealed. Furthermore I support that they may carry in a college or university.

In my tenure as a member of the law enforcement community I know that when seconds count, law enforcement is minutes away. This is not in anyway a disparaging remark towards my brothers and sisters that wear the badge. This is just a fact of life. On November 20th, 2014, Myron May went to the Strozier Library at Florida State University and shot three people and later was killed by law enforcement in a violent standoff.

One of the victims of the shooting was a licensed Florida Concealed Weapon Permit holder and a law abiding citizen. As such he followed the law and was unarmed. Florida State University has a full time well trained and staffed police department. They responded quickly and did the best they could. Problem is, police are reactionary. The event already occurred and their response was not preventitive. If my fellow Floridian was allowed by law to legally carry his firearm that night. We might not have been injured and a fellow student might not be handicapped for life. He very well could have stopped the threat.

The carrying of guns openly in public is another issue that I fully support. Texas just passed a bill allowing Texans to legally open carry guns wih a permit. Out of the entire country, only New York, Illinois, South Carolina, and Florida ban open carry. The other 46 States in the USA have open carry. No panic, no issues, no jump in crime, no violence in the streets. How is it that Florida is behind the times when it comes to personal liberty such as 2nd Amendment? We pride ourselves on being a State that values and respects the rights and freedoms that our Country promotes. We are such a beacon of liberty that more people come to Florida from other states and other countries. Our economic growth and development is attributed to that freedom. We value a person's wealth to the point that we don't have a State Income Tax, we value a person's home to the point that we have a Homestead Exemption, we value a person's right to economic freedom that we make having and starting a business very easy. Yet why are we lacking in valuing a person's right to self defense and the ability to protect their home, their businesses, and their lives?

I was born and raised in Miami and currently stationed in Miami. My home is in Tallahassee were I was last assigned due to the State's needs. My wife if currently in Tallahassee. She is 500 miles away from me. She is a student of one of the State Universities located in our wonderful Capital. She has a license to carry a concealed weapon. As you may or may not be aware, womens' attire is far harder to conceal a firearm. She carries in her purse, but that in of itself has certain trade offs. It is far easier for a criminal to snatch a purse than it is to take a gun off a person's body while the gun is holstered. But she follows the law, and as such makes the trade off. She is also disarmed since she is a student. The horrible events that occurred at Florida State University and that just occurred at Umpqua Community College in Oregon are prime example of why she should be able to carry on university or college grounds. She can defend herself elsewhere but not at school. She is alone and I'm 500 miles away at the moment. As a husband, it is my job and responsibility to keep my wife safe. My support of HB-163 is part of me doing that.

As such the following explanation should suffice.

Section 1 - Strict Scrutiny of all statutes implicating the Right to Keep and Bear Arms and Self-Defense

The judiciary shall employ strict scrutiny in reviewing any statute that implicates the right to bear arms or defend one's self pursuant to this chapter. The right to bear arms is a fundamental and individual right that exists in any place that a person has the right to be, subject only to exceptionally and narrowly tailored restrictions that employ the least possible restriction on the right in order to achieve a compelling government interest.

Section 2 - Arrest only for Unlicensed Concealed Carry (Technical Amendment)

The unlicensed carrying of a concealed weapon is declared a breach of peace, and any officer authorized to make arrests under the laws of this state may make arrests without warrant.

Section 3 - Licensed Open Carry & Prohibition on Infringing Gun Owner Rights

A person licensed to carry a concealed firearm or weapon pursuant to this chapter may openly carry such firearm or weapon...

Unless probable cause exists to believe that a crime has been committed by an individual, any person or entity infringing upon the rights conferred on that individual by (Florida Law), the State Constitution, or the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution is liable pursuant to s. 790.33(3)(c), (d), (e), and (f). Notwithstanding any other law, no immunity shall apply to persons infringing on such rights in violation of this subsection.
Section 4 - Legislative Findings that Lawful Carry Enhances Public Safety and Strict Scrutiny of 790.25

The Legislature finds as a matter of public policy and fact that the possession and carrying of weapons and firearms by law-abiding individuals for lawful purposes, including self-defense, enhances public safety...

The judiciary shall construe this act in conjunction with the right to bear arms or defend one's self as provided in chapter 776. The right to bear arms and defend one's self is a fundamental and individual right that exists in any place that a person has the right to be, subject only to exceptionally and narrowly tailored restrictions that employ the least possible restriction on the right in order to achieve a compelling government interest.

Thank You

Miami_JBT

View Quote

The parts in red is probably the most important parts of the bill.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 8:51:30 PM EDT
[#5]
if we use the same tactics as med marijuana hippies probably not

I think if passed every one would put up no weapon signs nullifying any gain.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 9:06:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

No weapons signs in FL have no legal standing.  They are essentially artwork.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 9:14:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup.... they'd have to tell you in person to please leave your guns outside of their business. Now, would they be able to lobby to have a sign similar to the Texas 30.06 Signage law? Maybe... will it go anywhere? I don't think so.

Link Posted: 10/5/2015 9:22:52 PM EDT
[#8]
It would make it easier for us to know who to patronize, and who to avoid...no doubt.  With the number of permit holders in FL (which keeps growing) a business owner would be taking a big risk keeping us out of their means of making a living.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 6:24:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It would make it easier for us to know who to patronize, and who to avoid...no doubt.  With the number of permit holders in FL (which keeps growing) a business owner would be taking a big risk keeping us out of their means of making a living.
View Quote

It will be more places then you think. Publix, ect... just about every store you can imagine. Youll be able to pump gas with your gun on your hip, thats about it. The constant harassment from police called by store staff or libbies shopping along side you will make you just wanna conceal and go about your way. I actually think it will do more harm to gun culture in FL. It's gonna make it visible to all the lib transplants in Fl just how many people carry,  then they will wanna fight it more.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 7:41:01 AM EDT
[#10]
I think people really overestimate the whole "power of the CCW lobby"  when it comes to going to establishments that are anti-"whatever".  I don't care if a place is anti something as long as the service they provide is decent and they are not actively trying to violate my rights.  It's their opinion and right to not like guns as much as its my right to enjoy them.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 9:11:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Virtually every other state in the country has "survived the horrors" of open carry and we here in Florida can do the same; just like we survived "the horrors" of becoming a shall issue state back in '87 and helped lead the way for carry law reform nationwide.

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 9:34:25 AM EDT
[#12]
EVERYONE BACK THE FUCK UP..........
SHE'S GOT A DOG AND A HEAVY FLASHLIGHT AND DOESN'T NEED A GUN!!!

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 9:34:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 9:47:05 AM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

Channel 459 on Brighthouse.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:01:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Got it up... what am I watching?
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:05:02 AM EDT
[#16]
House Criminal Justice Subcomittee hearing on the open carry bill.  Moved on to something about minors criminal records now though.  One of the committee members is against it because citizens do not have LEO training in giving verbal comands or some such BS.  He also seemed very much in love with level 3 holsters.  I had the impression he can't tell the difference between an armed citizen and how they act and the job of a cop.  The rest of the committee seemed positive on the matter.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:06:39 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

House Criminal Justice Subcomittee hearing on the open carry bill.  Moved on to something about minors criminal records now though.  One of the committee members is against it because citizens do not have LEO training in giving verbal comands or some such BS.  He also seemed very much in love with level 3 holsters.  I had the impression he can't tell the difference between an armed citizen and how they act and the job of a cop.  The rest of the committee seemed positive on the matter.
View Quote
Sounds typical. Any idea on the general mood of the committee and if they'll kill or support the bill?

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:21:54 AM EDT
[#18]
I was half awake listening to it.   Went to sleep at 6 am and woke up at 9 am to a vomiting toddler.  Good times.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:40:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It will be more places then you think. Publix, ect... just about every store you can imagine. Youll be able to pump gas with your gun on your hip, thats about it. The constant harassment from police called by store staff or libbies shopping along side you will make you just wanna conceal and go about your way. I actually think it will do more harm to gun culture in FL. It's gonna make it visible to all the lib transplants in Fl just how many people carry,  then they will wanna fight it more.
View Quote

Having lived in TX where the 30.06 signs carry the weight of law.... You are not going to see as many as you claim.

If you get the right.... It is harder to take it away. So let them fight it AFTER it gets passed. They now have an uphill battle.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 1:01:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 4:45:54 PM EDT
[#22]

Any update on campus carry?
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 5:00:06 PM EDT
[#23]
I just read this in the Nra email

You cannot carry concealed or openly onto private property of any business or person who choses to prohibit it

Doesn't that undue what we have now?  Ie we can carry into a business that says no guns
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 5:20:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You cannot carry concealed or openly onto private property of any business or person who choses to prohibit it

Doesn't that undue what we have now?  Ie we can carry into a business that says no guns
View Quote

That's  the way things are now.

If your concealed gun is somehow detected, and you're asked to leave by an agent of the owner, you must leave ASAP or you can be trespassed.

However, NO Firearms Allowed signage doesn't by itself prohibit entry.

If you walk into a posted establishment while open carrying, however; you're going to be asked to leave and you must leave.

No change......concealed is concealed.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 6:49:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You forgot the pepper spray.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 7:19:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 7:21:35 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View Quote
Nope, not at all. Businesses can ban the carrying of arms on their property. They simply have to tell you. They could have the Receipt Checker at Walmart or the Card Checker at Costco say "Welcome to BLANK, no firearms are allowed in this establishment. Please leave your gun in your vehicle. Thank you."

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 7:39:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Nope, not at all. Businesses can ban the carrying of arms on their property. They simply have to tell you. They could have the Receipt Checker at Walmart or the Card Checker at Costco say "Welcome to BLANK, no firearms are allowed in this establishment. Please leave your gun in your vehicle. Thank you."  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which right now means nothing.  As long as it's concealed. Open carry obviously totally different.   Seems like discrimination to me

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 7:42:56 PM EDT
[#29]

So if I understand this right, it still has to pass 2 other committees?
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 7:55:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

If your concealed gun is somehow detected, and you're asked to leave by an agent of the owner, you must leave ASAP or you can be trespassed.

If you walk into a posted establishment while open carrying, however; you're going to be asked to leave and you must leave.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As long as that doesn't change I'm cool.   Leesburg mall has those signs  but it doesn't fall under the prohibited places in the law so it means little.  But if open carry is allowed and I walk in it would take an employee of the mall to tell me to leave and I have to..  
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 8:23:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I believe that it  has to pass through 2 more house committees and the senate version must go through 3 senate committees as well.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 8:26:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

As long as that doesn't change I'm cool.   Leesburg mall has those signs  but it doesn't fall under the prohibited places in the law so it means little.  But if open carry is allowed and I walk in it would take an employee of the mall to tell me to leave and I have to..  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or an employee of any of the stores.

IMO, it would be a bad idea to enter a mall or any other private property that's posted with "no firearms allowed" signs while open carrying.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 8:41:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

IMO, it would be a bad idea to enter a mall or any other private property that's posted with "no firearms allowed" signs while open carrying.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah I agree Id still conceal carry.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 8:56:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I hope it passes just so I can walk down the beach wearing nothing but my speedos and my old sixgun gun quick draw rig...
View Quote

Carry a fishing pole and do it tomorrow.

No pictures please.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 9:04:36 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I believe that it  has to pass through 2 more house committees and the senate version must go through 3 senate committees as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like a long road ahead. I'd hold off on popping the champaign corks just yet.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 9:52:05 PM EDT
[#36]
"Sensible measures" and "additional training requirements" .................

Dumbocrats always be stirring the pot..........................  

Oh yea, the Florida Sheriff's Association has not taken a position on the bill.
No cht Sherlock; looks who's the president.  Nuff said about the woman, without a ban.....................  

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:00:11 PM EDT
[#37]
I hope this passes. I wish constitutional carry was legal.

With that said, I am not sad that Florida has so far avoided all of the idiot youtube heros attempting to bait LE into confrontations and bringing AK type rifles into Starbucks.

Freedom is scary though.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:55:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Sounds like a long road ahead. I'd hold off on popping the champaign corks just yet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We've been a lot closer in the past, it was a sure thing,  and then at the 11th hour a backroom deal was made and we were screwed.

A lot of really bizarre and unexpected last minute stuff occurred to kill it.

Hopefully Marion Hammer won't do an about face this time and we'll join the 45 other states with open carry.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:29:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

With that said, I am not sad that Florida has so far avoided all of the idiot youtube heros attempting to bait LE into confrontations and bringing AK type rifles into Starbucks.

Freedom is scary though.
View Quote

We had one in Daytona Beach a while back, there was a thread here about it.  Basically some retard with an AR and another retard with a fishing pole and a camera started walking along A1A.  Somehow they got separated and the guy with the AR got arrested.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 5:20:06 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

We had one in Daytona Beach a while back, there was a thread here about it.  Basically some retard with an AR and another retard with a fishing pole and a camera started walking along A1A.  Somehow they got separated and the guy with the AR got arrested.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Freedom is scary though.

Those are the retards im talking about.  They are gonna "my right" the issue into a full on carry ban.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 7:33:39 AM EDT
[#41]
A few idiots or morons or whatever you want to call the attention getters shouldn't have anything to do with laws applying to the rest of us. That's just an easy scapegoat.

We need our rights back.

No more compromises. No more half measures.

The lame excuses and backroom dealings need to end.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 8:13:15 AM EDT
[#42]
In the email I got it stayed the bill does not allow open carry of rifles
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 8:29:26 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
We've been a lot closer in the past, it was a sure thing,  and then at the 11th hour a backroom deal was made and we were screwed.
Hopefully Marion Hammer won't do an about face this time and we'll join the 45 other states with open carry.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I remember last time... it was partially because

Senator Ellyn Setnor Bogdanoff's daughter was arrested.

Her mother helped kill OC last time since her daughter was a druggie and burglar. Can't have armed people shoot her daughter.

Last Year it was Senator Miguel de la Portilla that killed Campus Carry.

I was on his ass last year after he flipped and fucked us.

John Thraser, FSU President and Former Senate President helped kill OC and Campus Carry. Even after the Strozier Library shooting. He helped kill it.

What do they all have in common. They're all Florida Republicans and they've all campaigned as pro gun folks.

Marion Hammer and her organization, Unified Sportsmen of Florida is a closed lobbying firm. Membership is not possible. They aren't like the NRA. Yet the NRA uses her and her lobbying firm as their voice in State matters.

The entire pro gun situation in Tallahassee is a sham.

Link Posted: 10/7/2015 5:22:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Those are the retards im talking about.  They are gonna "my right" the issue into a full on carry ban.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Freedom is scary though.

Like the guys in Texas?
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 5:25:03 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Like the guys in Texas?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Freedom is scary though.

Like the guys in Texas?

Precisely like the guys in Texas.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 5:28:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
In the email I got it stayed the bill does not allow open carry of rifles
View Quote

The bill makes no changes in who, what or where someone may carry. It simply allows open carry where concealed license holders may now lawfully carry.

As for concealed carry (and with this bill, open carry) of long guns goes, well, we are not going to talk about that right now. It will become clear after the bill is passed.

P.S. Marion has a habit of telling people what they want to hear, or rather what they need to hear.

But she's right, this bill does not authorize the open carry of long guns.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 5:30:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Freedom is scary though.

Like the guys in Texas?

The ones that now (Jan 1) have licensed open carry of handguns. Those Texans?
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 5:33:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Like the guys in Texas?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Freedom is scary though.

Like the guys in Texas?

I am half convinced OCT was a false flag operation funded by Bloomberg.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 6:04:52 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Like the guys in Texas?

Yeah, because asshats like these really helped with threatening elected officials and law enforcement.

Link Posted: 10/7/2015 8:36:21 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Originally Posted By Aikibiker

Like the guys in Texas?

The ones who got it done weren't the AR slinging retards taking selfies in Starbucks and other idiots damaging the cause in similar ways.

The day was one by people who delivered intelligent action and not some attempt to shock the public.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top