Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/26/2015 6:03:08 PM EDT

From alligator attacks to old lady rapists to weather and traffic reports.

How may we help you.

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:26:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

How may we help you.

View Quote

floridas full, i hear texas is nice this time of year
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 8:33:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How may we help you.

Funny! We are seriously thinking of moving from Texas to Florida in the next year or two. Do I need to do anything special when bringing my firearm collection? I only have 30 or so rifles. Any restrictions on reloading supplies?
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 9:55:10 PM EDT
[#3]
You can be my neighbor.
Don't know about restrictions.

There is a house for sale down the street.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 9:55:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Funny! We are seriously thinking of moving from Texas to Florida in the next year or two. Do I need to do anything special when bringing my firearm collection? I only have 30 or so rifles. Any restrictions on reloading supplies?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How may we help you.

stay near the gulf and you will love it, continue the tradition of "beef is the only bbq", bring me some senorita's (just don't tell my wife), never mention that shiner bock swill
yall drink out there and life will be mucho grande (not 100% sure what that means but it is some of the spanish i can say ).

i think our gun laws are pretty close.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:08:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How may we help you.

Give up on the idea of eating good tex-mex ever again.  I actually order frozen Tamale's from the Texas Tamale Company, b/c I can't find any decent places down here that serves them.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:12:22 PM EDT
[#6]
We cook our own Texmex here. Even make our own tortillas and we're not even Mexican. I will have to order some fajita meat from the local mercado once in awhile. We never seem to marinate as good as they do. Wife can make a mean pan of rice and wicked barachho beans. Enchiladas both meat and cheese. Lots of Hispanic family friends from when I was a baby. Will even do some pork or beef tamales once in awhile. Life is good!
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:39:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
We cook our own Texmex here. Even make our own tortillas and we're not even Mexican. I will have to order some fajita meat from the local mercado once in awhile. We never seem to marinate as good as they do. Wife can make a mean pan of rice and wicked barachho beans. Enchiladas both meat and cheese. Lots of Hispanic family friends from when I was a baby. Will even do some pork or beef tamales once in awhile. Life is good!
View Quote

Access granted.  Just make sure you're not being followed.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:15:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Central Florida Native here Who is about ready to bail out a little bit North Like Alabama or Georgia Maybe. Both Sides of My Family have been in Florida since the 1800's to Early 1900 And I was Born in 63 and even My litte Town has become a real Rat Race in the last 10 Years. Not to Mention where I live in Polk County has been Mined up for Miles in every Direction. I use to think it was Cool that My Dad Worked at the Mines and was a Maintenance Superintendent in Charge of all the Dragline and Plant Maintenance so I got to go hang out on the Dragline a Few times while it was Running, My Uncle was a Dragline Opeartor for the Same Mine that My Dad Worked at. And also got to look around all Inside of one when it was down for Maintenance.

I just knew I was going to follow in My Dads Footsteps.Well that didn't happen because the Mines pretty much shut down in the Early 80's So I started Working as a Auto Tech in 1983 and that's what I have done ever since. But getting back to the Mining Back in the Day it was nothing o be able to Roam all over Mine Property and Fish and Hunt or Ride Dirt Bikes 3 and 4 Wheelers. Well since Mosaic has taken over all of the Mining in Central Florida Everything is Posted even Mine Land that use to belong to other Mines They have Taken over and Posted Everything in Polk, Hardee, and Manatee County. And They are Headed South!

Since They are Headed South They have Drove Alot of Game Animals North like Deer, Hogs and Turkey's but You can't Hunt because it's all Posted. And Mosaic no Longer even Allows Employees to Hunt or Posses Firearms on Their Property. Employees can Fish but are Required to Wear a Life Jacket as soon as You step out of Your Vehicle to Fish By Boat or Land. Let's just Say They have Taken all the Fun out of Living in the Area and being able to Hunt, Fish and Shoot. WR Grace use to have a real Nice Shooting Range to go to and since several of the big wigs that Worked there knew My Dad I had Permission to go Shoot at the Range Anytime I wanted to.

Personally I think all of those Thousands of Acers of Land Should be turned over to the County or State or Public Use, After it has been Reclaimed. But there are still Thousands of Acers that have Yet to be Reclaimed. With all of that in Mind Plus the Fact Foreigners and Yankees have all but Taken Over the State, I'm about Ready for a Change. Especially when You Consider that it is getting Harder for Republicans to Win in FL! Where in Alabama and Georgia and other Southern States do well for Republicans.

Sorry Fellow Floridians I'm just Frustrated with the way Our Once Great State has Gotten in the Last 10 or so Years.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:43:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Bought a lake front acreage on Dunford lake north of Panama City. Plan to build and move there by the end of the year. Gators gonna eat my kids ?
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:43:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Bought a lake front acreage on Dunford lake north of Panama City. Plan to build and move there by the end of the year. Gators gonna eat my kids ?
View Quote

You have to use common sense around them, which I don't have.
But, also it is mating season right now. They travel long distances this time of year and could be anywhere.
They prefer yapper dogs over kids but you never know.
They eat each other too.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 6:01:01 AM EDT
[#11]
(1) Whenever you are walking around and pause outdoors. Immediately look down and establish you are not standing in a fire ant colony.
(2) Only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the mid-days sun.
(3) Always remember, when you enter the water you enter the food chain.
(4) Be extra nice to our elderly population. A lot of them are armed.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:52:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

i have known of several people being injured by an alligator, guess how many were random attacks? none.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:04:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Give up on the idea of eating good tex-mex ever again.  I actually order frozen Tamale's from the Texas Tamale Company, b/c I can't find any decent places down here that serves them.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How may we help you.

Not sure where you are, but there is a hole in the wall in Deland, FL called Mi Amigo Taco. As close to Texas mexican as I've come outside of Texas.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 2:28:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Not sure where you are, but there is a hole in the wall in Deland, FL called Mi Amigo Taco. As close to Texas mexican as I've come outside of Texas.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How may we help you.

I'm in Palmetto and have tried a bunch of places from Sarasota to Tampa.  My favorite place is Miguel's in Tampa.  Miguel's has ties to a really good place in Houston.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 4:20:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Live north of Panama City, and you'll be right down the road from "Compass Lake Engineering".
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 3:58:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Florida is great depending on what you want. I tried to get into the "Hate Miami" attitude and left to North FL. I'm a city slicker at heart so South Florida is my paradise. North Florida is very rural and Central FL is a good mix.

Link Posted: 4/4/2015 7:47:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Don't know what part of the state you're in, but there is great Mex in Indiantown and Okeechobee. Taqueria Yurapaun in Indiantown is good, go in the kitchen, and tell them what you want, they bring it to the table, Get your beer out of the cooler, and when you're done, tell the guy at the counter what you had. Sopa de Camarones is excellent,
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 7:55:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Florida is great depending on what you want. I tried to get into the "Hate Miami" attitude and left to North FL. I'm a city slicker at heart so South Florida is my paradise. North Florida is very rural and Central FL is a good mix.

View Quote

North Florida (Westside Jax. Gainesville, Keystone) is definitely more southern than Palm Beach, Broward, Miami. That said, I'm stuck in West Palm for a couple more years, then it's out to the Kissimee River, some of the last real Florida left
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 8:00:51 PM EDT
[#19]
South Florida has great Mexican Food in the Homestead area of Miami-Dade County. Lots of migrants moved there to farm and many of their children set up restaurants and businesses.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 9:11:16 PM EDT
[#20]
One quote that I remember from my Politics of Florida class at UCF, "The father north you go, the farther south you get."

Also, while not a rule, it seems that the west coast of Florida has more mid-westerners and the east coast has more New Englanders  . They seem to follow the I75/ I95 corridors.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 9:36:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
South Florida has great Mexican Food in the Homestead area of Miami-Dade County. Lots of migrants moved there to farm and many of their children set up restaurants and businesses.
View Quote

We always stop at the farmers market restaurant in Homestead.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 12:44:27 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Best Mexican Restaurant in Homestead is Toro Taco off Krome Ave and Mowray Dr across the street from Homestead PD and another good place is off Krome Ave and North 4th Street. It's on the west side of Krome. I can't remember the name for the life of me.

Awesome little Tacos.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 2:16:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Best Mexican Restaurant in Homestead is Toro Taco off Krome Ave and Mowray Dr across the street from Homestead PD and another good place is off Krome Ave and North 4th Street. It's on the west side of Krome. I can't remember the name for the life of me.    

Awesome little Tacos.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awesome little Tacos.

La Cruzada Taqueria by the Mexico Market and south of MDC (east of Krome) or La Azteca de Oro, a little convenience store (just west of Krome)?  I'm asking because I'm always searching for good Mexican food.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 9:56:00 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

La Cruzada Taqueria by the Mexico Market and south of MDC (east of Krome) or La Azteca de Oro, a little convenience store (just west of Krome)?  I'm asking because I'm always searching for good Mexican food.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Awesome little Tacos.

It isn't any of the two listed. If you head north on Krome and are crossing 4th Street. It should be on the left side. It looked like a former gas station or some such deal.

Link Posted: 4/5/2015 11:58:26 AM EDT
[#25]
You forgot about the lighting and hurricanes.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 4:16:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
It isn't any of the two listed. If you head north on Krome and are crossing 4th Street. It should be on the left side. It looked like a former gas station or some such deal.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awesome little Tacos.

Thanks. I'll be in Homestead later this week. I'll definitely take a look.  When I was in SoCal the best taco places were small easy to miss places, carts and food trucks.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 5:11:44 PM EDT
[#27]
My mistake... it wasn't on Krome and 4th....

Just looked on Google Earth Street View.

It is Krome Ave and NW 5th Street.

It is called Antojitos Mexicanos Salvadorenos.

I believe the address is 18 NW 5th Street Homestead FL.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 4:16:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How may we help you.

Let me help you:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/panchos-villa-mexican-restaurant-san-antonio

Link Posted: 4/6/2015 2:00:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thunder storms ain't shit....now my way in bfe ...they are loud and nasty as there's no "city "noise to drown it out.
But its very peaceful to sit on my porch watching /listening to the storm roll in.....and then just sit there watching a mini hurricane LOL because a good July /August storm is as good LOL

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 2:51:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Hi All,

I am planning to move to Tampa Bay area and going to buy a house there sometime next month. Would you please tell me which area has good school (my kid turned two last couple weeks), good neighborhood and affordable housing? I will be telecommuting, so commute is the lowest priority to me.

Thanks all.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 3:01:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Hi All,

I am planning to move to Tampa Bay area and going to buy a house there sometime next month. Would you please tell me which area has good school (my kid turned two last couple weeks), good neighborhood and affordable housing? I will be telecommuting, so commute is the lowest priority to me.

Thanks all.
View Quote

San Antonio, FL is very nice, you can get to North Tampa quickly along with all of the shopping you ever wanted.  Its near historic Dade City, there is a range 5 minutes way (Dade City Rod and Gun Club).  Sacred Heart (http://www.sacredheartecc.com/) is a great daycare that is right there.

There are two schools San Antonio Elementary which in my opinion is mediocre and San Antonio Catholic School which is an incredible school.

http://www.stanthonyschoolfl.org/

If you can live a little further out I would also recommend Citrus County FL - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citrus_County,_Florida

Sugarmill Woods has very reasonable prices the kids there go to Rock Crusher Elementary

http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/days_sort/28.795493,-82.39068,28.663177,-82.61384_rect/12_zm/0_mmm/

Or if you want more of a FL coastal experience there is Homosassa (I live here) and Crystal River just to the North.

My son goes here:

http://www.greatschools.org/florida/homosassa/474-Homosassa-Elementary-School/

No private school needed.

The Hernando Gun Club is the closest range to these, about 10 minutes.

Edit:

I telecommute as well.

Here is a rental to get to know the area better:

http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_rent/house,condo,apartment_duplex,townhouse_type/43645257_zpid/days_sort/28.815537,-82.553115,28.749412,-82.664695_rect/13_zm/?view=map

Riverhaven, includes tennis courts, swimming pool, clubhouse, boat/rv storage, boat ramp, etc.  good internet as well :-)

If you move here message me.

Edit:

When I need to fly up to ####### for work it takes me less than an hour to get to TPA and about 1.5 hours to get to MCO (Orlando) so depending on which has a better flight time or money wise I can use both without issue.

Link Posted: 4/7/2015 4:30:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Lacoochee,

I did not expect to receive this kind of response. You are simply awesome! We are still struggling to decide where to live in due to our differences. I want some lands and she prefers to live not too far (~30mins drive) from markets, etc... I plan to go down to Tampa and Orlando area next in this month and see how things are and maybe just buy a decent condo (plan to get into property investment) to live there for while then buy a house after.

Again, thank you for your informative response.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 8:13:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Just closed on a 1/2 acre lot in Port Charlotte yesterday. Planning to build on in it in under 2 years time. So close, yet so far away.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 8:59:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Moving to Florida next Friday. Ormond beach area. How is brighthouse as a cable and Internet company. How is there service. Are there and other choices. Looking at there triple play for 109$ a month.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 9:31:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Moving to Florida next Friday. Ormond beach area. How is brighthouse as a cable and Internet company. How is there service. Are there and other choices. Looking at there triple play for 109$ a month.
View Quote

I was happy with it while living in shitona ...lots of options...but their equipment sucks (least ours did ...until a tech said - "ohh that's the old unit from x years ago) ..and it was good to go till we moved.
Ormond is nice for what it. But.....
Be ready to.pull your hair out if you go to the publix /Lowes plaza there off 40 and 95... same goes for the Walmart across the way. Ormond has its fair share of soccer mom snowflakes and Snowbirds who I think eat derp pie daily.
Events clog 40 from us1 to a1a so be ready for that...
My inlaws live on the north end ...out near the airport ...night and day compared to trails /hunter ridge etc area (where the snowflakes reside) .
Sides that your 40 mine from lots of fun stuff depending on your exact area.
I moved west....of the area but north ormond /bunnel etc was on our list when looking..

Link Posted: 4/8/2015 11:42:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How may we help you.

Pancho villia in san antonio FL. Best tex mex you will have in your life.

Link Posted: 4/8/2015 4:57:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Tried today without luck.  Permanently closed, replaced by something called the Royal Palm Grill 2.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 5:06:37 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Tried today without luck.  Permanently closed, replaced by something called the Royal Palm Grill 2.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Cono!

That was a good little place. The original Royal Palm was nothing special. It was your typical greasy spoon diner.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 7:49:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm about 15 miles south of you in Port Orange.

Prepare for crowded roads during event weeks...

Speed Weeks
Bike Week
Spring Break
Memorial weekend
July 4th weekend
Summer Speed Week
Labor Day weekend
Biketober Fest
etc...
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 4:44:58 AM EDT
[#40]
PO ain't much better anymore LOL that section of dunlawton from Clyde to Williamson is a joke...and is gonna get worse IMHO.

Link Posted: 4/10/2015 7:55:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

And sinkholes and mosquito borne illness and giant anacondas...
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 8:25:12 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

And Cubans... don't forget Cubans...

Link Posted: 4/10/2015 8:53:14 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL

Remember we have over 300 biting /stinging insect's here
Several venomous snakes
Bears
Panthers
Coyotes
Skunk apes
And rainbow people.
Oh and gators...
Big frogs
Lizards...
Sharks

Oh its a terrible place to live LOL

Link Posted: 4/10/2015 10:34:03 AM EDT
[#44]
yellow banded millipede

about 500 plant species (anyone want some free kudzu balls)

Oh, and Cubans (just kidding)
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 11:39:28 AM EDT
[#45]
Did somebody say Cubans!! I'll be watching you yankees very closely..
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 11:51:17 AM EDT
[#46]
S'kay, I got Cuban neighbors around here.
They are good neighbors.

Just wanted to start stuff.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 12:18:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Lol! Just remember when we get loud we aren't fighting, we are having a conversation.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 2:00:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
PO ain't much better anymore LOL that section of dunlawton from Clyde to Williamson is a joke...and is gonna get worse IMHO.

View Quote

The f'ed up traffic pattern and the change in the light sequence has made it worse.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 2:29:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

The f'ed up traffic pattern and the change in the light sequence has made it worse.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup...drive thru it each day to work..that and the retards still doing u turns in front of hate chicken really screws it up more...
But people bitches when Nova was two lanes from bellville to us1 back in the day ...its better now as four right lmao!

Link Posted: 4/10/2015 2:32:31 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Lol! Just remember when we get loud we aren't fighting, we are having a conversation.
View Quote

¿Tu quiere un cocotaso?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top