Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2009 11:10:44 AM EDT
hi,

my friend has an old collection he is beginning to piece off.

he has 2 springfield sar 8's with the thumbhole stocks and wide forearms.

i have not seen any on gunbroker. are they a rare version? worth much? i think he said they were imported from greece.

they are nib.

please advise. thanks.
Link Posted: 1/7/2009 11:22:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Rare, no.  These were Greek made HK91 clones that were originally imported as SAR3s.  About 1990 when 922(r) when into effect, they switched to thumbhole stocks to keep them "sporting" and changed the name to SAR8 to differentiate.  Some of these were SAR3s overstamped with SAR8 if you look close enough.

They may seem rare, but only because most owners changed out the furniture.

Before the Barry O scare, these were selling in the $1100-$1300 range.  With what's going on, just name your price.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2009 11:26:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
hi,

my friend has an old collection he is beginning to piece off.

he has 2 springfield sar 8's with the thumbhole stocks and wide forearms.

i have not seen any on gunbroker. are they a rare version? worth much? i think he said they were imported from greece.

they are nib.

please advise. thanks.

If they are from Greece (stamped and rolled steel receiver), they are either overstamped SAR-3 or just stamped SAR-8 at the last minute. They are good guns and considered the next best thing to an actual HK-91. But they are not overly rare. And slightly less desirable than the SAR-3, which had the regular pistol grip. So they aren't worth quite as much as an SAR-3, which isn't worth quite as much as an HK-91. But they are probably worth a bit more than a PTR-91. These prices are very much fluxuating right now so nothing is in concrete, but that's the best I can tell you for right now.

Order of value

1. HK91
2. Greece SAR-3
3. Greece SAR-8 overstamp
4. PTR-91
10. Century 91
11. SAR-8 w/alloy receiver

Yeah, I threw those last two on there just for grins... but it's close to correct.
Link Posted: 1/7/2009 11:39:38 AM EDT
[#3]
thanks guys. i appreciate it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2009 2:28:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got a overstamped SAR8 and it's the equal of my HK91––-which it should be since it was made on HK equipment by HK trained workers.It allows my to keep my '91 as a safe queen.Now if it's a SAR8 with the built in rail these were not imported from Greece but made in the US with substandard recievers.You want the SAR8 marked as EBO,Greece.They were going for $1200 6 months ago but with the current frenzy I've seen them up to $1800-$2000.
Link Posted: 1/8/2009 9:46:18 AM EDT
[#5]
WHat is the going price on a SAR-3?
Link Posted: 1/8/2009 11:07:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Somewhere between $1000 and a $bazillion.  I'm not sure I know what anything gun releated goes for anymore.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2009 3:42:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

6 months ago you could find a SAR3 for $1400 or so and a HK91 for $2000-$2200.Now the SAR3 is $2000 and the HK91 is $2600 and up.My best advice is to wait until this frenzy is over and prices come back to normal.
Link Posted: 1/8/2009 5:10:56 PM EDT
[#8]
SAR8 w/ thumbhole stock in mint condition at Timonium Gun Show tonight for $1350.00...

Some times the area your in can dictate the price also.
Link Posted: 1/9/2009 1:02:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Let's not forget the SAR8 HBCS (Heavy Barrel Counter Sniper).  Springfield's "PSG-1" type rifle.  They came with a thumbhole stock with an adjustable cheekpiece.  IIRC there were less then 100 imported.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top