Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2016 12:30:42 PM EDT
Yeah

Its not running good now

Its having FTE intermittently. Ive tried the gas setting every which way. It seems overgassed, even at the lowest setting. Ive tried using different ammo, chokes intermittently on about everything I tried, German surplus, Austrian surplus, Monarch steel.

What I finally believe is happening is the extractor is simply letting go of the casing during extraction. You can even see on the casings where its extracting hard or when it slips free. I thought perhaps at first this was due to lacquered steel case ammo I used. I cleaned the barrel very well with solvents and even copper remover. However that doesn't seem to be the case, perhaps there was a bur making function correct towards the beginning of everything that has now came loose opening the port up more.

I have double checked headspacing. Still looks good. Closes on go gauge, doesn't on no go. Casings look fine beyond where the extractor is marking up the rim.

Beyond perhaps cutting a second extractor spring and trying to jam in in there to increase tension, I do not know what to do. A new barrel with a smaller port would probably do the trick, but Im looking at exploring other options before going that direction.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 12:38:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag for the reply
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 12:42:31 PM EDT
[#2]
What if I drilled the gas plug a smaller diameter on the opposite side?

That would choke the gas I would assume?
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 12:56:00 PM EDT
[#3]
you can try that. Gas plugs aren't that expensive if you mess it up. I'd try that before I thought about another barrel anyway. Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:22:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What if I drilled the gas plug a smaller diameter on the opposite side?

That would choke the gas I would assume?
View Quote

I do this all the time as a solution for guys running cans on FALs.

Grind out the inlet, weld it over, grind back to profile, and re-drill with 5/64" bit.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:27:16 PM EDT
[#5]
or it could be the springs as stated in your other thread. I never had an issue with my DSA para kit, it was a 16" bbl though.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 5:25:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Have you checked for a broken recoil spring?
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 6:14:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Have you checked for a broken recoil spring?
View Quote

I don't recall anything seeming amiss there.

Ill strip it all down tonight.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 8:38:32 PM EDT
[#8]
what is the top cover?

I got a DSA scope rail mount on my FAL that was driving me nuts for 2 years.  When I put the cover on, I started to have weird FTE issues.  I did not think about it until I found the original top cover that came with the FAL.

Put the original cover and I did not have the strange jams.  When I took the scope rail mount off, I found that the recoil loosen the screws.  I thought I put Loctite on it.  Did not and reinstalled the scope and it is working now.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 10:42:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Alright.

I took the plug and welded it up and then redrilled it smaller.

The good news is the gun seems properly gassed now, the bad is I am still having issues.

I shot one mag. I loaded one round and opened the gas all the way. FTE and did not lock open. Loaded another and cranked the gas down several clicks. Locked open great and brass now is flying an acceptable distance.

Loaded several more. Boom boom boom boom click. Double feed. Tried again, same result. 2 casings stayed in the chamber and the extractor slipped.

Im not sure if its a chamber issue or a extractor issue at this point.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 9:58:03 AM EDT
[#10]
This maybe the culprit

Link Posted: 12/23/2016 2:21:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This maybe the culprit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHMlr-1i8GY
View Quote

Take it out and roll it on a flat surface. If it's a two-piece piston, throw it out or use it as a tomato stake. Either way, used Metric pistons are fairly cheap. I have a few for spares.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 11:48:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Well

Finally figured this gal out. Looks like I may have had compounding problems

The main culprit was a bent piston and out of spec extractor.

Rebuilt the entire gun and checked everything twice

The weld up of the plug has netted in good gassing. I can now actually use the regulator and tune in the gas.

Gun runs very well now.

Link Posted: 1/4/2017 8:32:04 AM EDT
[#13]
cool, glad you got it figured out. Also nice to see someone willing to put their hands to work rather then send it out and let someone else do it for them. I had to do some welding on my last FAL too. Very satisfying knowing you diagnose, and fix your own shit. Bravo sir.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top