Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/17/2008 7:16:41 PM EDT
So I've had a Socom 16 for about 6 months now and I Love it, it's a great weapon. I'm primarily an AR guy [building my 6th now] and have plenty of parts for them in case of replacement/ malfunction/ TEOTWAWKI/ Zombie attack.

So my question for you guys is what spare parts are important to have on hand for an M1A, more specifically a Socom 16? I will be ordering the parts from Brownells probably and just need to get a good idea of what I need to have in my parts box.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Link Posted: 2/17/2008 9:48:38 PM EDT
[#1]
rebuild/replacement parts for your bolt and a spring/pin kit for the trigger group.
Link Posted: 2/18/2008 10:58:37 AM EDT
[#2]
+1 would like this list as well
Link Posted: 2/18/2008 4:01:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Some stuff I just picked up for the just-in-case scenario: Ejector, extractor, springs (fulton armory sells a spring kit), firing pin, combo tool and broken shell extractor.
Link Posted: 2/18/2008 7:51:01 PM EDT
[#4]
OST.
Link Posted: 2/18/2008 10:02:41 PM EDT
[#5]
This is what I consider nice to have -
Bolt kit - extractor, ejector plunger and sping, firing pin, bolt roller
Trigger group - springs, trigger pin, trigger, hammer, hammer pin, magazine catch and spring
Gas group - piston, gas valve (plus spring and pin), gas cylinder plug, gas cylinder lock
Receiver group - bolt stop (plus pin and spring), sight elevation knob, windage knob, aperture. roll pin for clip guide
Barrel group - front sight and screw, main spring and recoil guide, flash hider nut, flash hider
Spare butt plate and hand guard with clip
An extra op rod if you have the cash and can find one reasonable
Bolt tool for compressing the ejector to remove the extractor/firing pin

It gets expensive laying in extra parts.
But by all means get the parts for the bolt and trigger group.
You don't really need the bolt tool but it sure make it easier to fix the bolt.
Here are some pics of some of my spare parts.

Just looking at the first picture it would cost me around $500 to buy those parts now.
I think I have a little under $175 in them.
The second picture is just small parts. I'm betting it would cost around $150 to buy them now.
It looks like I do need to get some trigger group parts.
I wish I'd done it three or four years ago.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top