Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2015 6:18:34 PM EDT
I have a desire to add hunting rifle to my collection with a bore > .30.  One of the choices I'm interested in is a Ruger Hawkeye chambered in .338 Ruger Compact Magnum.  I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this cartridge/rifle combination, or just the cartridge?  

I like the idea of a .338 with magnum performance out of a 20" barrel, but I'm wondering how bad is the recoil?
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 7:56:35 PM EDT
[#1]
When loaded with 225gr bullets the .338 RCM has ~0.7 grain more H2O capacity than the .338-06.

The difference is in the operating pressures and the non canister grade powder Hornady uses.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 9:12:20 AM EDT
[#2]
So, would .338-06 felt recoil be similar to .338 RCM?  And how would that compare to say a .30-06?
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 3:19:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So, would .338-06 felt recoil be similar to .338 RCM?  And how would that compare to say a .30-06?
View Quote

Yes, they would feel similar in recoil.

With the 200 and under grain bullets, both are in the same recoil class as the .30-06.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 2:03:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a 338 RCM Hawkeye and love it.  Recoil is stout but I find it similar to a .30-06 out of a light rifle (like a ruger No. 1).  Accuracy has been in the 1.5 MOA range.  I'd say if you looking for a handy and powerful rifle it's a great choice.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 5:18:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Can you handle a HV 1 1/4 12 gauge load ? If so you will have no problems. I see a lot of shooter fret over a rifle recoil and think nothing of shooting a heavy 12 gauge load that has twice the recoil.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 6:42:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I had forgotten about this thread.  Here's a few response.

Quoted:
I have a 338 RCM Hawkeye and love it.  Recoil is stout but I find it similar to a .30-06 out of a light rifle (like a ruger No. 1).  Accuracy has been in the 1.5 MOA range.  I'd say if you looking for a handy and powerful rifle it's a great choice.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks for the response.  .30-06 out of a light rifle is doable.  I'd be doubtful if you had said similar to 7mm mag out of a light rifle.

Quoted:
Can you handle a HV 1 1/4 12 gauge load ? If so you will have no problems. I see a lot of shooter fret over a rifle recoil and think nothing of shooting a heavy 12 gauge load that has twice the recoil.

I can handle 12 gauge 3" 00-buck, slug and turkey shells no problem.  I've shot very little shotgun aside from deer/turkey type loads, so not sure how these would stack up against high-velocity 1 1/4 12 gauge field loads.  If they are comparable, then recoil would not be an issue.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top