Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/9/2017 12:03:37 AM EDT
Okay, so I've had an approved Form 1 for a Remington 870 (police trade-in) for almost 8 months now. It's got an 18" police barrel on it. I had previously expoxied a XS big dot onto the bead on a pedestal.

It's time to finish this project. I've got some hand tools and I'm not afraid to use them.

I'm going 14" on the barrel, and I'll chop the stock a touch as well. What's the easiest way to remove and reinstall the front sight? Will a MAPP torch soften the solder enough to get the base off? And will I destroy the tritium in the big dot? And finally, should I resolder, or just use Black Max Loctite for the reinstall?
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 12:11:07 AM EDT
[#1]
No one?  Dremel and Sawzall?
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 9:54:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry, just saw this.

The Remington base is high temp brazed on and takes heating the barrel to a red heat to melt the braze.
That will destroy a night sight.
A Mapp torch should do it.

The epoxy on the bead will be a problem.  Likely the only way to get it off is with heat, but that will probably destroy the night sight.
You can try soaking the end of the barrel in lacquer thinner for days to dissolve the epoxy, but I suspect that won't work.
You're probably looking at a new bead.

To remount on the barrel, remove the finish from the area the base will fit and clean the old braze from the base.
Use 1100 degree silver braze from Brownell's along with the brazing flux to re-braze the base.
Clean up around the base to remove excess braze and solder residue.
Refinish the barrel and base than screw the bead back in.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 1:53:22 PM EDT
[#3]
"The epoxy on the bead will be a problem. Likely the only way to get it off is with heat ..."

MEK (especially gently warmed) eats epoxy.

Do not heat with a flame.  Hot water with MEK in a metal or glass container is more than enough.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 4:00:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey guys, thanks for the reply.

Mission is half complete.  The Big Dot came off with heat from the torch.  I slightly melted the plastic insert, but it's still working and glowing.  It even appears that I can reuse it.  

Just like you said, the solder melted when it got a dull red, and I pulled it off with a pair of vise grips.  I'm debating about cleaning the bottom of it and reinstalling it with Black Max Loctite instead of solder.  Should I just go with the solder?  I'd have to get another container of MAPP gas, when I took off the torch head, it started leaking.  I'd also rather not refinish the barrel, as I have no way to do so.  

I did the cut very carefully with a hacksaw and then dressed it with a file.  Looks pretty good, I'd love some recommendations about how to refinish the end though, I guess whatever product is equivalent to AlumaBlack, but for steel.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 9:58:56 PM EDT
[#5]
If the barrel is black Oxide or "blued"

Brownells Oxpho Blue

Should work for you, nice to have around for touch up work.

Or you can go to the local Wally World, Gander, Academy or such and buy the Birchwood Casey Cold Blue for about the same price minus shipping, but it doesn't seem to work quite as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top