Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/11/2015 1:44:53 AM EDT
My home defense weapon is a SBR'd G21 w/ a stock adapter thing that fits in the grip and on the back of teh frame and has an M4 type stock, suppressor & light laser on the dustcover.  The problem w/ it is that there is not really a good place to put your off hand to hold the muzzle down.  you can't really put a vfg on the dust cover w/ all the flexion.  So, you can't hammer a target w/ rounds as fast as you can pull the trigger w/ all the muzzle rise.  

Since I like mag in teh grip pistol caliber suppressed SBRs for HD & I already have the SBR'd glock frame, I was thinking about getting a mech tech upper and having the barrel cut/threaded for the suppressor. I guess I'll get hte 45 though a 10mm is tempting. But, the 10mm would either be too loud and/or too much penetration i suppose.  I was thinking on using hornady 45acp 185 grain critical defense w/ flex tip.  At 1000 FPS they are subsonic, they expand in structure hits w/ their flex tip thereby limiting overpenetration, and that should be VERY quiet suppressed out of an 9-11" barrel.

Does anyone have any comments about the mech tech or those aftermarket glock stick mags, not teh KRISS mags but aren't there korean ones or something, or comments about appropiate 45 home defense ammo for a surburban setting?  

ALso, i have been made to understand that all mech tech units, from 9mm to 460 roland use the same upper, bolt & even action spring, no shit (this is why the 9mm version usually needs +p ammo).  Has anyone ever had problems shooting lighter/slower 45 acp ammo from their 45 cal CCUs?   I like aboven mention critical defense or even the Federal reduced recoil 165 g hydrashocks for good suppression and reduced barrieer penetration, but I wonder if they have the ass to cycle the gun.

Thx
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 9:54:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I used my Glock Mech Tech 10mm as a home defense gun for several years. I kept it loaded with Hornady 180g XTPs. It's  currently for sale in the EE,  minus the Glock lower.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 1:35:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't know how big and open your home is, but I don't know if my MechTech 40 is optimal for home defense. Even with the 31rd korean mags, I think it would be too long unless it was cut down and SBR'd without a suppressor.

I think a pistol with a higher cap mag would be a better option for the tight spaces and around corners.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 1:43:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Have you seen the roni carbine kits?
Im not sure if they would fit a 21, but if I wanted to sbr my 17 it would be the first thing I would consider.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 3:56:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have you seen the roni carbine kits?
Im not sure if they would fit a 21, but if I wanted to sbr my 17 it would be the first thing I would consider.
View Quote

yeah, except when you actually put a glock in there it causes problems.  Not the Roni kit particularly but all of the enclosures.  It will make a totally reliable glock flakey, and not jut the 40 cal guns.  Something about the tension and flexion on the frame.  Its weird.  You apparently have to put there in there but not too tight, just so.  Well i ain't got no time fo dat.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 3:57:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I don't know how big and open your home is, but I don't know if my MechTech 40 is optimal for home defense. Even with the 31rd korean mags, I think it would be too long unless it was cut down and SBR'd without a suppressor.

I think a pistol with a higher cap mag would be a better option for the tight spaces and around corners.
View Quote

yes, I'll be SBR'ing.  I already have a SBR'd Glock and will shorten the barrel and probably trunion too.

Here is a guy w/ a 9" barrel:

This is the appeal to me vs an AR pistol cal carbine, how short it is either OAL or as shouldered.

Yes, it is still ponderous compared to a pistol but that is as good as you can get in a suppressed firearm that balances in one hand and is easier to shoot accurately fast than a pistol.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 4:17:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I used my Glock Mech Tech 10mm as a home defense gun for several years. I kept it loaded with Hornady 180g XTPs. It's  currently for sale in the EE,  minus the Glock lower.
View Quote

I see you have replaced your CCU w/ a 10mm AR carbine that uses the stoner gas system.  I was curious about your impressions of the differences in the weight, balance suppressed, and recoil differneces b/t the mech tech and the AR. Both are 16" barrels right?

You add is tempting.  10mm is a fantastic cartridge, it can so many things, except suppress well.   I guess there are some weak ass heavy factory loads which happen to be subsonic, but still, a 45 cal mech tech  would suppress better & can kill any kind of eastern US game w/ the +p or 45 SMC/Super 255 g hard cast loads.   The 10mm can have less trajectory, that is for sure, especially w/ the 135 JHP loads run hard from longer barrels.  If I could only have one chambering for rifle or pistol, it woudl be either 357 or 10mm, there is so much either can do from either long or short barrels.  Probably 10mm b/c I prefer autos to revolvers & lever guns.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 3:10:05 AM EDT
[#7]
ahhh, jeeze, I've been going back & forth b/t 10 & 45...  10mm.   I....can't....decide...

Apparently you can shoot 40 out of the 10, FWIW, so long as you clean up the chamber real good before you feed 10 into it again.  

10 can do anywhere from 1600 fps w/ 135 g bullets to 1050 w/ 230 hard cast flat nose, out of Glock 20s. That is some decent range for a handgun cartridge, or great penetration.   I think those hard cast loads can penetrate like over 40" of gel w/ their high sectional density.

You can get wimpy factory ammo that recoils softer, even at subsonic velocities if you like, or that suppresses a little better, though not as good as 45, 40 or 9 probably.

Link Posted: 4/16/2015 8:34:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 8:59:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Hard Sheel,

I am glad you have had good luck. THat short barrel shepherd guy though had problems w/ it, along w/ the Kpos & the Hera in his SBR'd G19 gen4.  You can see his youtube vids about it.  There is discussion that the Gen 4 guns and G19s work less well than Gen 3- Glock 17s.  But laws being what they are it is hard to test this out.

& there are thiese fab defense video of these silly wannabe operators muzzle sweeping eachother shooting Glock 18s, with 3 or 4 stoppages.  I guess those were the best ones they took befoer the ran out of film  

Could you please tell me:
-Does your glock fight tight in the Roni or does it have a little wiggle?

-Is it a Gen 3 or 4?  Are you using the stock plaction guide rod and action spring if it is Gen 3 or some different spring &/or guide rod?

-Do you pull down hard on the front to keep the muzzle down?

Would it be possible to use one of these things w/ an Osprey suppressor?  Perhaps w/ the can upside down, w/ the eccentric lobe at 12 o'clock.  Perhaps, w/ some aggressive machining of the front end and with a longer barrel?  It is hard to see how where are the critical parts of the latching mechanism that cannot be cut away.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 6:00:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Where did all the pics go in this thread?

I know I saws them earlier.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:00:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:18:32 PM EDT
[#12]
thx for the reply and the pic.  Glad you were out scouting.

I looked at some vids and I see how the gun sits down in the enclosure.  Clearly, there is no tension adjustment to it like some of the other units that have a spring loaded thing that presses agasint the back of the frame.  

Though that unit is not as light, sleek or compact as some other units can be I like it is setup to use a specific brass catcher and I love the ambi charging handle setup.  

You running a 6'" barrel or just normal length w/ the threaded muzzle extra? Do you have to take the can off to get the gun out?

This guy us running a 10" barrel w/ a suppressor which is completely outside of even the faux muzzle of the enclosure.  I would have to run the Osprey outside of the enclosure.  I would have to remove the faux muzzle and maybe grind a little off the nose of it, perhaps at an angle, so that hte canwoulnd't hit anything, and use a longer barrel.  I wonder if a G20L threaded barrel (ca 6.5") would work w/ little to no modification beyond removing the faux muzzle/comp thing.

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:47:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 3:10:25 AM EDT
[#14]
you know, I am really thinking I am gonna get one of these rather than the mech tech.  Its it about 3 lbs less & w/  less recriprcating mass and a locked breech, and I can get a barrel from 5 to 9" easily.

I wonder if you were to stick a rod down the barrel w/ it installed in the roni, till the rod bottoms out agasint eh breech, how many inches it is from the breech to the front of the roni unit as you have it now w/ the faux muzzle/comp thing removed???  I am just wondering how long of a barrel I would have to have to run a can completely outside of the roni..

Maybe I'll have better luck than that short barreled shepherd did w/ his Gen 4 G19...  

The other thing I wonder is how do avoid getting the Airsoft version?  

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 11:13:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top