Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2014 12:35:59 PM EDT
Howdy, all,

I finally got to shoot the R92 I bought and tuned using the Steve's Gunz kit.  I asked some safety-related questions earlier in this thread, but it's been archived by now.  The verdict for my last question was to keep rounds in the tube but keep the chamber empty until ready to shoot the rifle.  There were a few suggestions to use the half-cocked setting in some situations.

I noticed that pulling the trigger with the hammer at half cock drops the hammer.  I decided to see if the hammer dropped with enough force to ignite a primer, and sure enough, it ignites my CCI large pistol primers and fires the round!  (3/4 times; once it was a light strike and the round did not fire.)  Is that normal?  I will definitely be keeping the chamber empty until I am ready to shoot.

I also discovered that the lever must be worked vigorously to throw the brass clear of the rifle and my head.  Once I got the hang of it the brass were ejecting fully and stopped hitting me in the head, but it took a few tries to get the it right.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 3:17:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Howdy, all,

I finally got to shoot the R92 I bought and tuned using the Steve's Gunz kit.  I asked some safety-related questions earlier in this thread, but it's been archived by now.  The verdict for my last question was to keep rounds in the tube but keep the chamber empty until ready to shoot the rifle.  There were a few suggestions to use the half-cocked setting in some situations.

I noticed that pulling the trigger with the hammer at half cock drops the hammer. I decided to see if the hammer dropped with enough force to ignite a primer, and sure enough, it ignites my CCI large pistol primers and fires the round!  (3/4 times; once it was a light strike and the round did not fire.)  Is that normal?  I will definitely be keeping the chamber empty until I am ready to shoot.

I also discovered that the lever must be worked vigorously to throw the brass clear of the rifle and my head.  Once I got the hang of it the brass were ejecting fully and stopped hitting me in the head, but it took a few tries to get the it right.

Thanks!
View Quote

On half-cock, you shouldn't be able to pull the trigger, at least not without manually taking up some slack on the hammer first. If you've really got it at half-cock, the trigger/hammer engagement notch should be such that it won't allow you to.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 12:28:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like you have little engagement at half cock. The hammer should not fall.

Did you jimmy with the sear engagement in any way while you were "slicking" it up?
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 11:55:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Aha!  Thanks for the advice.  I added a leather wrap to the entire lever, and upon inspection I could see that the trigger was hanging up on the leather instead of locking securely.  There's really no extra clearance between the trigger and the lever!  I removed the leather and at half cock the trigger will no longer fall.  Thanks for the help!

Link Posted: 10/11/2014 11:53:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Aha!  Thanks for the advice.  I added a leather wrap to the entire lever, and upon inspection I could see that the trigger was hanging up on the leather instead of locking securely.  There's really no extra clearance between the trigger and the lever!  I removed the leather and at half cock the trigger will no longer fall.  Thanks for the help!

View Quote

Maybe you could shave 1/8" or so off the tip of the trigger, to allow clearance for the leather?
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 1:01:28 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Maybe you could shave 1/8" or so off the tip of the trigger, to allow clearance for the leather?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Or better yet, wrap the lever differently so that you don't impinge upon the trigger at all.

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 1:59:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Or better yet, wrap the lever differently so that you don't impinge upon the trigger at all.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/Coloradoglocker/DSCN2837.jpg

View Quote

I don't wrap my levers so I never gave it much thought, but now that you mention it, I have never seen anyone wrap the portion around the trigger. That does seem like an odd thing to do.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 9:51:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I don't wrap my levers so I never gave it much thought, but now that you mention it, I have never seen anyone wrap the portion around the trigger. That does seem like an odd thing to do.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/Coloradoglocker/DSCN2837.jpg

Yup, I got started wrapping the lever and got carried away.  COSteve's wrapping job looks better and is more functional; I've since rewrapped it to look more like that.

Thanks for the help, guys!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top