Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/13/2014 12:52:15 PM EDT
Hi there everyone.  Just wanted to get a price check.  There is an 1894 Marlin pre safety 44mag for sale locally to me.  I have not seen it in person yet.  But guy selling it says its in great shape.  Was just curious what a fair price for this is.  He is asking 600.  I don't know how firm he is on price yet.  Thanks in advance for the replies.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 1:56:19 PM EDT
[#1]
That price is in the ball park,I've seen them at gun shows for over 800 bucks.

I bought mine roughly 2 years ago and paid $495.00 and it was like new with the box.

If you can get him down a little then it's a score as true Marlins are going up in price every day and even if he sticks to the price it still good as long as the rifle is in good shape.

Edit to add - My 1894s 44mag is my favorite rifle.

ETA 2- Reading fail on my part as it's a pre safety and is a JM rifle.

Link Posted: 7/15/2014 11:03:10 AM EDT
[#2]
What kind of things should I be looking for when I go to look at the rifle?
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 11:08:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Thats about the best price you're gonna find.  I've seen several for 800 to 1000 over the past six months.

The issue is the amount of wear (or not) on the carrier.  So, you really need to run some dummy rounds through it to know what you're looking at.  You won't be able to do that at a gunshow.

Also, the ejector is different on those older guns and parts are hard to find.  The ejector can have a big affect on how smoothly the gun runs.  Again, the action proving dummies will let you know the situation.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 2:07:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Thats about the best price you're gonna find.  I've seen several for 800 to 1000 over the past six months.

The issue is the amount of wear (or not) on the carrier.  So, you really need to run some dummy rounds through it to know what you're looking at.  You won't be able to do that at a gunshow.

Also, the ejector is different on those older guns and parts are hard to find.  The ejector can have a big affect on how smoothly the gun runs.  Again, the action proving dummies will let you know the situation.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That... 600 from a pre-safety .44mag Marlin is a steal locally these days.

Invest in some snapcaps and cycle em through the action fast and slow.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 9:23:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes that is a good price these days if it is in pretty good shape. I picked a pre saftey 1894 in 44mag up about a year ago for 650.00 and I thought it was a steal. So yes 600.00 is a good price.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 8:44:41 AM EDT
[#6]
If you want one I'd go for it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 10:13:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the replies guys.  Sorry I haven't updated.  Didn't end up getting it.  Not sure if the guy selling it even had one.  Exchanged several emails, but he would never commit to meeting.   Then stopped communications.  Guess I'll keep looking.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:31:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Just bought a 1894SS stainless 44mag shipped in from Utah for $800 bucks.

Also just bought a 1894 blued in 44mag for $500 last week. If any of this helps $600 isn't to far out of line if it's really nice and you really have to have it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:10:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies guys.  Sorry I haven't updated.  Didn't end up getting it.  Not sure if the guy selling it even had one.  Exchanged several emails, but he would never commit to meeting.   Then stopped communications.  Guess I'll keep looking.
View Quote

bummer -- i guess thats the way it goes sometimes with Armslist and similar outlets -- I'm not the biggest fan of Marlin stuff anymore, but 600 was a sweet price  ---  perhaps the guy just re-considered

OTOH - i pulled some firearms from Armslist last year when i found i could get more $$ by selling them through an enthusiasts forum (sold a couple pistols through SIGPRO for my asking price without having to deal with guys who like to dicker for a hobby even though the stuff is priced fair )
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:18:22 PM EDT
[#10]
That is a good price for a blued rifle. If it is SS then it is a great deal and grab it as soon as you can.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 9:56:35 PM EDT
[#11]
how much does the pre-safety add?  I picked up a 1894 44mag for $365 a couple years ago.  It is a 1984 and has the safety.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 9:43:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
how much does the pre-safety add?  I picked up a 1894 44mag for $365 a couple years ago.  It is a 1984 and has the safety.
View Quote

I'd like to know the same thing.  Still trying to figure out the differences in guns and prices.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 1:27:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just ballpark... a crossbolt JM marked would probably sell 450$-ish locally currently.  Remlin 350-400$... pre-safety JM?... probably closer to 600$ currently.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 2:16:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Just ballpark... a crossbolt JM marked would probably sell 450$-ish locally currently.  Remlin 350-400$... pre-safety JM?... probably closer to 600$ currently.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting, thank you.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 3:51:06 PM EDT
[#15]
$500 or so.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top