Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/29/2014 4:25:44 PM EDT
I was looking at Cannon 80-gun safe because of its capacity. And I can't really find any meaningful opinions on that safe.
This is going to be an addition to my safe collection to house an ever growing number of inventory.

Thoughts? Should I look for something else? What would you recommend for a huge safe?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:15:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the Cabelas branded Cannon. I have no problems with it. I wish mine was bigger.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:27:33 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have the Cabelas branded Cannon. I have no problems with it. I wish mine was bigger.
View Quote
Don't we all? What size is it?

My other option is Browning SP40 maybe?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:52:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Run for the hills. I bought a cannon safe from my local LGS. 11 months later the lock shit the bed. Took almost 2 months to get it fixed so I could get my stuff out. Worst customer service and Run around I have ever seen from a company. I would never recommend doing business with them to anyone.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:04:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Since you are asking about an 80 gun safe I have to assume you are talking about the Armory model.
It certainly is not a real secure gun safe for the amount of value that a safe holding anywhere near that capacity of firearms is valued at and is only 30 minute fire rated.
According to Cannon's own website the door consists of one inner and one outer sheet of 12 gauge steel.
They don't even come with hinge side bolts.
All are now imported.
You can do better but you will have to research gun safes because there is not a lot of 80 gun capacity gun safes to choose from and please be aware you won't get 80 long guns in one anyway unless you only collect thin Marlin 60's and Ruger 10-22's.
For all I know you might not be all that interested in fire protection and if that's the case look at what Sturdy offers as even in it's basic stock form without fire protection at least it will be much harder to break into.

I don't have a real high opinion of Cannon gun safes honestly and once you sit them next to other makes of about the same design price point you will see what I am talking about.

I will say the Cannon Commander and their older Traditional line are more secure and have far better fire protection but stacked up against equal costing gun safes not so much.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 2:55:56 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Since you are asking about an 80 gun safe I have to assume you are talking about the Armory model.

It certainly is not a real secure gun safe for the amount of value that a safe holding anywhere near that capacity of firearms is valued at and is only 30 minute fire rated.

According to Cannon's own website the door consists of one inner and one outer sheet of 12 gauge steel.

All are now imported.

You can do better but you will have to research gun safes because there is not a lot of 80 gun capacity gun safes to choose from and please be aware you won't get 80 long guns in one anyway unless you only collect thin Marlin 60's and Ruger 10-22's.

For all I know you might not be all that interested in fire protection and if that's the case look at what Sturdy offers as even in it's basic stock form without fire protection at least it will be much harder to break into.

I don't have a real high opinion of Cannon gun safes honestly and once you sit them next to other makes of about the same design price point you will see what I am talking about.

I will say the Cannon Commander and their older Traditional line are more secure and have far better fire protection but stacked up against equal costing gun safes not so much.
View Quote
Thank you all for your opinions. This is what I was looking for. I am going to look for something else.

An just to note, yes, I know they don't hold 80 guns. Unless 40 of them are handguns.

Any recommendations for best safe that would be biggest size in sub $2k price range?
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:02:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thank you all for your opinions. This is what I was looking for. I am going to look for something else.   An just to note, yes, I know they don't hold 80 guns. Unless 40 of them are handguns.

Any recommendations for best safe that would be biggest size in sub $2k price range?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
All are now imported.

Thank you all for your opinions. This is what I was looking for. I am going to look for something else.   An just to note, yes, I know they don't hold 80 guns. Unless 40 of them are handguns.

This will get this thread going I'm sure.
How important is fire protection to you?
How many long guns and handguns are you needing to really store?
At 2k you are starting to get reasonable home protection as long as it's bolted down and you can place it where a pry attack is not much of an option.
If you have read many gun safe threads on ANY gun board there is always a group that will tell you this xyz saw,grinder,torch will open it right up and that's true too.
Fortunately most home burglaries where the thieves don't even know you own a safe never have these tools with them.
So obviously if you do have power tools keep them locked up.

There are some decent capacity gun safes out there for 2k.
One I see mentioned very frequently in a wide body is the Liberty Fat Boy.
But that's no means the end of your search.
Do plenty of research and keep asking questions as some people here know a good bit about gun safes and some even service and sell them and one has actually designed them.
So somewhere in the mix you should get steered right hopefully.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 7:56:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine is the 36 gun.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:45:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
All are now imported.

He mentioned sturdy, that's what I've been looking at. They seem to have the thickest steel at a reasonable price, but fire protection is extra.

Also, heeler, where do you place a safe to protect against a pry attack? I have a concrete room. I was going to place it in the corner, but which sides of the safe should be against the concrete?
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 11:00:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

He mentioned sturdy, that's what I've been looking at. They seem to have the thickest steel at a reasonable price, but fire protection is extra.

Also, heeler, where do you place a safe to protect against a pry attack? I have a concrete room. I was going to place it in the corner, but which sides of the safe should be against the concrete?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
All are now imported.

As long as the door opening side is up against a wall type structure there is no room to pry the safe.
This is why one must bolt down the safe to keep it upright.
I placed my Amsec BF directly in the corner of a spare bedroom.
Even if you had a five foot bar as soon as you tried to pry all you would do is be up against a wall which means no leverage.
Better yet if one can use a closet all the better.

They wont be able to pry the door on the hinge side as that goes against the swing of the door.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 12:39:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

As long as the door opening side is up against a wall type structure there is no room to pry the safe.
This is why one must bolt down the safe to keep it upright.
I placed my Amsec BF directly in the corner of a spare bedroom.
Even if you had a five foot bar as soon as you tried to pry all you would do is be up against a wall which means no leverage.
Better yet if one can use a closet all the better.

They wont be able to pry the door on the hinge side as that goes against the swing of the door.
View Quote

Ah. That makes sense. Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 1:41:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
All are now imported.

For the $2k budget, sounds like a sturdy might be your bag. That said: thicker steel does not automatically equate to more security

If you are at all concerned about security against burglary or fire (why are you buying a "safe" if you aren't?) It would greatly behoove you to consider the standards for certifying those types of things.

I could build a 4" concrete box on all 6 sides and make all kinds of claims about it's security (in fact, there are a surprising number of manufacturers that would appear to do just this), but it wouldn't mean jack shit to the consumer unless it was tested to that end.

A quick smattering of terms to search for would be RSC, TL-15, TL-30, TRTL-30, TRTL-30x6. Those only cover the security side. Fire resistance is a much deeper rabbit hole.

There are a lot of people who are so eager and willing to spend $2000 plus on a glorified box who would be unable to tell you what they bought after the fact, and why they got a good value. Don't be one of those people.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top