Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2014 5:42:22 PM EDT
Looking to buy a bedside safe for revolver with a 6" barrel, Will 12" OAL pistol comfortably fit in either of these safes? I'm especially interested in the personal pistol box since it will easily fit into a shelving unit already in place.

Fort Knox FTK Pistol box:
Exterior dimensions of 10.2 x 12.5 x 4.5 inches

Fort Knox Personal Pistol box
Exterior dimensions of 12.5 x 9.5 x 5 inches

It looks like the lock mechanism takes up room inside the personal pistol box, and I'm not sure that the interior dimensions are in either model... any info would be appreciated.

Link Posted: 4/8/2014 6:36:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I bought this one:

Ft. Knox Auto Pistol Box made for use in Automobiles or limited space concealment.
The front swing opening offers improved access when used under vehicle seats and other quick access spaces.

6'' deep x 5'' wide x 9'' long
12 lbs
10 gauge body 3/16'' thick door
Spring assisted hinges
Simplex mechanical lock
Silver carpeted interior
Solid brass locking bolt
Textured Black finish
Lifetime Warranty
Exceeds the California Firearms Safety Device Requirements

And yes, the simplex lock takes up space! I had to change a planned full size 9mm for a subcompact Walther P99c. Then I had to put it in at a 45 degree angle to make it fit.

I think you might have to cut a hole to match the barrel.

Not that there is anything wrong with that!

</Costanza>
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 6:36:53 AM EDT
[#2]
And make sure that the hole can't be used to spring the lock from the inside. Bolt it down. If you do it against a wall, the extra bit may not even be noticeable.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 3:14:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info, it seems like the top opening pistol box shouldn't be a problem as long as a large revolver is put in at an angle, but I think I'll call them directly and see what they say.

I also saw a video review by an engineer on YouTube about how the Fort Knox safes have the holes for the lock's buttons drilled a few millimeters too large.

Even so, I'd rather deal with a sturdy combination lock than something requiring a key or batteries...
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 3:53:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I have  the top one and just measured internal from diagonal corner to corner it's 14", and 11 1/2" wide internal.

It easily holds a row of 1911 and other full size in bottom then a piece of foam separates another layer on top. I'm fitting 6 pistols easily in this without any rubbing together.

Anything else whatsoever you want to ask let me know. It's by far the nicest handgun safe I have layed my hands on. The simplex lock is amazing fast and quiet even in middle of night in the pitch dark. It's over built and I keep all of my top layer of pistols, all defense pistols loaded with no worry of my 4yo getting to them. It's built so well one could go off and I garuntee the bullets will not get through this steel.

Nothing like those piece of shit bulldog or micro vaults that are Chinese feeling stamped steel quick access safes. This was worth every penny of the $215-$235 you will pay for it. Also has the bolt holes drilled under safe for easy mounting and entire thing is powder coated tough as nails finish.
Email me and I will private email you pics with guns in it  
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 3:59:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 5:16:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Fantastic!

Thanks, exactly what I was looking for.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:12:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Pretty certain the top one you listed is the one I have, and for a while I kept my H&K Mk23 in it and I'm pretty certain I did not have to put it in at an angle or do anything special.  If you believe the Mk23 "haters" there is no larger handgun in existence

Hmmmm, just checked H&K website and overal length of Mk23 is only 9.6 inches...  Are you sure your 6" barrel revolver is 12" overall??

I will say that the Simplex lock on my Ft. Knox is more finicky that one on a V-line safe that I have (I think I have it figured out that if I push the buttons ALL the way down it won't open, I have to give them a 1/2 push.  Just enough to get it to click....)
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 5:36:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pretty certain the top one you listed is the one I have, and for a while I kept my H&K Mk23 in it and I'm pretty certain I did not have to put it in at an angle or do anything special.  If you believe the Mk23 "haters" there is no larger handgun in existence

Hmmmm, just checked H&K website and overal length of Mk23 is only 9.6 inches...  Are you sure your 6" barrel revolver is 12" overall??

I will say that the Simplex lock on my Ft. Knox is more finicky that one on a V-line safe that I have (I think I have it figured out that if I push the buttons ALL the way down it won't open, I have to give them a 1/2 push.  Just enough to get it to click....)
View Quote

Simplex locks have both 1/2 push and full push. If yours is set to half, you simply set it up wrong. By allowing for half pushes, it allows for alot more potential combos

Reset your lock with a full press and you'll have no issues.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 8:44:35 AM EDT
[#9]
robpiat, THANKS!  I'll try that.  I didn't know that.

I will admit, that once I figured out the 1/2 push works better it got me thinking that it would be much less likely that my 2 1/2 year old will randomly pick the right combo by using the 1/2 push.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 9:56:54 AM EDT
[#10]
I never noticed the half push setting on mine and I just redid the combination. The manual never said anything about that.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 3:50:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Half push on the Simplex lock is a little risky to use. This feature was secretly included for high security government customers. The problem is that as the lock wears, the intermediate detent point becomes less positive in locating the position of the tumbler. It's okay to do this half push thing, but know that when you are in panic mode, half-push codes are more difficult to execute, and you may miss your code entry because you are not concentrating on the entry.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:52:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Turns out I don't have 1/2 push pins.  It is just that the Ft. Knox pins ARE more finicky.  The V-line ones seem much more consistent.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 5:33:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm waiting to pick up the pistol (My first) but I just checked the S&W website, and it looks like the N-Frame they have listed is a newer version with a 6.5" barrel, compared to the 6" that mine will have, so I guess the OAL will be 11.5" ... still a large gun...

After reading about the button issues in this thread, I'm also going to look into the V-Line safes.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:23:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top