Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 57
Posted: 6/9/2013 6:59:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BGENE]
I assume on a composite fill TL rated safe that the composite fill cures similar to concrete and achieves a certain strength after X number of days.

I have seen the old U.L. TL-30 test video were the U.L. guys zip the outer shell off the safe in a matter of maybe 30 seconds, they then proceed to beat on the safe with sledge hammers/picks/chisels repeatedly with no luck. I recognize we are talking serious PSI fill, is it just simple physics, the sledge blows can't generate enough force against the high PSI?  I further assume there is all kinds of secret fill like aluminum fibers or whatever holding the fill together behind the scenes.

On the X6 safes that have alloy plates in the side, I assume they are fixed during the pour process similar to using rebar with ties during a concrete pour. The term interlocking is tossed around, I assume this is so it is difficult to peel the plates from the composite?

I assume the alloy selected is some form of a compromise based on anticipated type of attack, costs, torch vs. drill.  I.E., Manganese is superior for this but not that, etc, etc based upon alloy.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

ETA APRIL 2016 - Before this thread became the standard Amsec thread, there were several active threads and I have dug through the archives to add them to this thread.

Yet Another AMSEC Safeguy Question

AMSEC Question

AMSEC Amvault burned in fire

AMSEC Questions for Thesafeguy 06-05-13

AMSEC (and new UL)

Can the AMSEC ESL10 lock be muted

Early thread discussing various AMSEC TL's

2014 thread on S&G Locks added 12/29/19

As requested fire testing added to OP.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 3:55:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheSafeGuy] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Azoutlaw:
Please help me answer a few questions I have.

I understand that on a TL30 rating, just the door is rated for 30 minutes, and the body gets a 5 minute test with TL tools.  However, on the BFII safe, it is essentially a TL10 on all sides. To me this seems the body on the BFII safe has a higher rating than a TL30 safe (such as the browning mentioned above). Can you please help clear this up for me?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Azoutlaw:
Please help me answer a few questions I have.

I understand that on a TL30 rating, just the door is rated for 30 minutes, and the body gets a 5 minute test with TL tools.  However, on the BFII safe, it is essentially a TL10 on all sides. To me this seems the body on the BFII safe has a higher rating than a TL30 safe (such as the browning mentioned above). Can you please help clear this up for me?
Well, the tool complement on the BFII test is populated from the TL15 test program, not the TL30. A TL-15 body is tested with TL-30 tools, that's relevant. So, the comparison in non-linear. Yea, I know, it doesn't make any sense, but that's how it is with UL687. The difference between the TL15 tool complement and the TL30 tool complement is staggering. The TL30 gets a full suite of very effective power tools that set the TL-30 on a level that is not just twice the TL15 based on test time, it's more like 4-5 times better because of the far better tools they have at their disposal. The carbide hole saw, mag-drill rig, and abrasive wheels are the real speed tools of choice for UL, and they can't use those on a TL15 door, but they can use them on the TL15 body equivalency.

Also, if I do end up with the AMSEC TL30x6, the bedroom I want to place the safe in has a 30 inch wide door. Is his safe even possible to install?.... (concrete slab)?
The OD of the TL30x6 is 26 deep, and you add ~3 inches for hinges and handle. So, it's approximately 29 inches that has to pass thru an opening when moved sideways. It was designed with that in mind, and it has never been an issue for installers.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 6:23:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the quick and informative response. Can you please answer another question for me?  I am looking at prices on the RF703620X6 and the Amvault version (CFX703620x6).

From my understanding the only differences are the RF has the gun interior, correct? Any other differences?  The CF seems to be a little cheaper and I plan to use rifle rods anyway...any thoughts or advice?

Thank you again!
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 2:41:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Igloo87] [#3]
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 2:42:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Igloo87] [#4]
@TheSafeGuy

It looks like the electronic portion of my LP Redundant EMP lock on my 2 month old, BFII 7240 went bad.

I can still get into the safe with the mechanical portion of the lock.

The electronic key pad is dead.  No noise or flashing of LEDs.  I am not locked out (no 10 sec flash of LED).  The only time when the key pad makes noise and flashes is when I changed the battery.

Any trouble shooting hints?

Do I contact AMSEC or the place that I bought the safe from to get this fixed?

Thanks again...

ETA: I did some more reading and I have an email into AMSEC...Thanks
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 9:21:26 PM EDT
[#5]
 Do I contact AMSEC or the place that I bought the safe from to get this fixed?
View Quote
I'd start with the place you bought the safe since they are able to come out and fix it.  Sort of like a new car.  Don't call Ford.  Take it to the dealership.
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 2:30:50 AM EDT
[#6]
I read a couple of posts from people with similar issues and am hoping you could give me a hand. I have an AMSEC safe with the ESL5 locking mechanism. Thursday night the battery died and I replaced it (I have to replace the battery every 3 months or so). Ever since then, the safe will not unlock - I have tried my own combination as well as the factory default in case the lock reset itself somehow - neither has worked. I have tried another new, fresh battery, still no joy.

This is the second ESL5 that has failed on me, so I am not impressed and actually am considering paying to upgrade the another mechanism assuming I can actually ever get back into the safe again. The really fun part is I'm an LEO so all my "tools of the trade" are now locked up...not looking forward to having to borrow a handgun from someone if I can't get this resolved before my next shift.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 12:42:55 PM EDT
[#7]
 I'm an LEO so all my "tools of the trade" are now locked up...not looking forward to having to borrow a handgun from someone if I can't get this resolved before my next shift.

View Quote
If one of my customers was in your position, we would have somebody out there immediately.  If nothing else, to get you access to the contents.  I'd call your dealer immediately.
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 2:52:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BrainDead] [#8]
I tried that first.  Called Dean Safe first thing Friday morning, they took my info and said they'd have a tech call me.  I called back Friday afternoon and they told me they would call their tech again.  After still not hearing back, I called Saturday and was informed their main tech was on vacation and his backup "may not work on the weekends" - I posted here as a last resort kind of thing.

Thanks for the suggestion, though!
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 5:08:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KML7201] [#9]
I withdraw my comment
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 12:18:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Are there any changes slated to go into the 2019 CFX models vs. 2018 due to UL re-testing or other reasons?  I have an end of year order and trying to determine if I should wait an extra few weeks and request a 2019 model if it has any enhancements.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 12:37:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By WolfNinja:
Are there any changes slated to go into the 2019 CFX models vs. 2018 due to UL re-testing or other reasons?  I have an end of year order and trying to determine if I should wait an extra few weeks and request a 2019 model if it has any enhancements.
View Quote
All CFX re-testing was completed last year, and any changes were implemented in January 2018.

Link Posted: 9/4/2018 10:33:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Thank you.

Adding 3 way boltwork + aux key lock/glass relocker to a CFX is a negligible cost.  I understand there is a user accessible bolt you can tighten when you transport the safe to prevent the the glass from breaking.  If over the years during a move the glass were to break in transport, how much of an expense would it be to repair?  I am wondering if adding these extra measures may become an expensive maintenance item down the line.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 11:39:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By WolfNinja:
Thank you.

Adding 3 way boltwork + aux key lock/glass relocker to a CFX is a negligible cost.  I understand there is a user accessible bolt you can tighten when you transport the safe to prevent the the glass from breaking.  If over the years during a move the glass were to break in transport, how much of an expense would it be to repair?  I am wondering if adding these extra measures may become an expensive maintenance item down the line.
View Quote
The truth... we have never had a glass relock fire accidentally... never once that has been reported. The safety screw retainer is really a measure that has proven to be unnecessary but we keep it for good measure. So, history says that the risk for service issues later are nil.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 1:52:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Is the BF-HD still being made, or has it been replaced by the BF-II? I was looking at AMSEC's gunsafe catalog, and didn't see anything about the 4 gauge option on the standard BF.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 8:51:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Can you remove the door on the AM series safes to make them easier to move?
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 1:29:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Is the redundant boltwork that is offered on the BF series safes available (or going to be available) on the VD8036BF vault door?

Thanks for all the answers on the forum!
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 4:26:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Danj:
Can you remove the door on the AM series safes to make them easier to move?
View Quote
Yes. You can lift the door off the hinge pins.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 4:27:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By NerdHerder:
Is the redundant boltwork that is offered on the BF series safes available (or going to be available) on the VD8036BF vault door?

Thanks for all the answers on the forum!
View Quote
No immediate plan for that option, but I will put it on the hit-list for new products meetings happening soon...
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 4:28:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By 123456abcdef:
Is the BF-HD still being made, or has it been replaced by the BF-II? I was looking at AMSEC's gunsafe catalog, and didn't see anything about the 4 gauge option on the standard BF.
View Quote
The HD model has been replaced by the BFII Level II safe. Sorry.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 1:55:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 3:10:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheSafeGuy] [#21]
Originally Posted By Andrapos:
We had a tenant leave behind a safe (bolted down) when they moved out, but the keypad isn't working (new batteries) and they didn't leave us the combination.  How can I get this open so it can be unbolted and moved?

ESL10 lock
View Quote

Need to know what you mean by "not working". Is it dead, as-in there are no beeps or flashes of the LED when you press the C-Key?

or... you don't have the code so it won't open?

If it's dead, it's possible a new Keypad will get it working. But, without the code, you're locked out.

In the case that the lock is unresponsive, with a new or old keypad, it's drill time. If it works, and you don't have the code, you'll need to get a registered locksmith to acquire the Factory Code for that lock.

FWIW, This is an original ESL10 lock, made in approximately August 2004. The safe is a competitors unit. The Time Delay display implies there is a locker with a LaGard TDL lock inside.

Link Posted: 9/25/2018 3:39:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 8:27:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 1:14:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Andrapos] [#24]
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 8:49:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Foxxz] [#25]
The ESL locks have a (hopefully) unique backdoor code to unlock them that locksmiths can obtain to open safes based on safe serial number. Can this code be changed by the end user?
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 2:37:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Foxxz:
The ESL locks have a (hopefully) unique backdoor code to unlock them that locksmiths can obtain to open safes based on safe serial number. Can this code be changed by the end user?
View Quote

Technically, yes, but we do not share that method. It is our view (policy) that to support our proprietary electronic products thru their warranty life, we must be able to maintain the cost effective opening path that a reset code provides. If customers change the Factory Code, we no longer have the opportunity to assist in opening the safe in the event of a lost code. Therefore, if the Factory Code is changed, our policy dictates the Factory Warranty will be void.

This may sound harsh, but if you realized that we probably avoid drilling thousands of safes every year by utilizing the Factory Reset Code, you will understand. A typical safe opening (drill job) costs anywhere from $250 to $1000, and on occasion more, depending on several factors.

FWIW: In the event you don't care about your Warranty or the opportunity to resolve a lost code condition, and you want to eliminate the possible use of a Factory Reset Code, you can simply remove all serialization on your safe. If we don't have the Serial Number of the Safe or the Lock, we can't look up the codes and provide them to registered safe techs. In effect, the Factory Code is lost.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 6:26:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Just had an ESL5 go bad. No help with Amsec CS or multiple emails to them. All the keypad responds to it the "C", anything else there is no beep or light on the keypad.

Any help ?
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 7:25:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By SideOrder:
Just had an ESL5 go bad. No help with Amsec CS or multiple emails to them. All the keypad responds to it the "C", anything else there is no beep or light on the keypad.

Any help ?
View Quote
PM your email and phone number... see if I can get someone for you.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 7:15:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Great info here.

Any info on this safe?
Approx 72h x 40w x 24D
Weight, construction, steel thickness, fire rating?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Thanks in advance TSG, and keep sharing.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 11:07:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Looking to purchase my first gun safe and have been looking into Amsec products specifically the BF series. There’s a local dealer about an hour away who has the BF6030 on sale for $2570 before delivery.

Seems like a pretty good deal, no? I was originally thinking of something a little bigger so that is my main concern. Any thoughts on realistically how many AR type long guns I could fit it it?
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 5:51:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By TheSafeGuy:

PM your email and phone number... see if I can get someone for you.
View Quote
PM SENT!

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 11:25:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: youm0nt] [#32]
How did lithium batteries fare in your battery tests for electronic locks? It’s my understanding that alkaline batteries aren’t as good in cold weather. I am considering one of your safes in an unheated garage in a cold climate where it can get below freezing.

I’ve seen the tl30 power tool attack videos. What would a “security on sale video” pry attack be like on an x6 safe? I take it that it would barely budge.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 1:30:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mr2guru] [#33]
Major score!  Picked up this RF6528 at an estate auction for $1500.  Added a NOS Mas Hamilton X07 (the s&g didnt feel right, albeit worked.), some touch up paint, and she's ready to go.

Couple questions for TSG,

Can I add a pull handle for the outside? The door is smooth but heavy for sure and I feel bad pulling on the bolt actuator handle all the time.  Probably moot.

Second, while the safe is heavy as, well heavy... and my interior floor couldn't support it necessitating a garage placement... its still movable with some johnson bars, mules, and 2 guys and some oomph. There are no bolt down holes.  How long am I drilling for 1 center 5/8" anchor hole using masonry bits and a hammer drill.  I figure that's all that is needed to render those moving tools useless.

Thirdly, there is a spindle hole for the second lock (not optioned, but provisioned) through the door.  Should it be plugged? Does it present a security or fire risk if the exact location is known from the outside?

Learned a lot reading this thread... and I thought I already knew a lot.

btw, those shelves are bowed (now flipped) due to the weight of the gold the previous owner stored. :o

Link Posted: 12/13/2018 2:35:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By youm0nt:
How did lithium batteries fare in your battery tests for electronic locks? It’s my understanding that alkaline batteries aren’t as good in cold weather. I am considering one of your safes in an unheated garage in a cold climate where it can get below freezing.

I’ve seen the tl30 power tool attack videos. What would a “security on sale video” pry attack be like on an x6 safe? I take it that it would barely budge.
View Quote
We have not conducted testing on 9VDC Lithium power cells. The primary reasons for that are a) they die almost instantly when the charge runs out, and b) they lose charge sitting idle without any load. For a safe lock, that's a really bad feature. We don't recommend Lithium cells. You WON'T be happy when you go to open the safe after left alone for a few months and it's always dead... not a good thing in an emergency.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 2:55:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By mr2guru:
Can I add a pull handle for the outside? The door is smooth but heavy for sure and I feel bad pulling on the bolt actuator handle all the time.  Probably moot.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mr2guru:
You can, but it will be a little weak. When we place a pull handle on a safe door that has a thin skin (like the awesome AmVault you just bought), we place steel blocks inside to provide a good beefy mount. If you drill and tap that door face, your thread engagement will be minimal at best. It will hold, but a good solid bump and it will strip the holes out.

Second, while the safe is heavy as, well heavy... and my interior floor couldn't support it necessitating a garage placement... its still movable with some johnson bars, mules, and 2 guys and some oomph. There are no bolt down holes.  How long am I drilling for 1 center 5/8" anchor hole using masonry bits and a hammer drill.  I figure that's all that is needed to render those moving tools useless.
Not an easy chore to drill a large hole. It can be done, but be prepared to use a few good masonry bits. The aggregate is not rock, it's Aluminum Oxide Nuggets, similar to grinding wheel materials. It's tough and very hard. AmVaults tend to have heavy deposits of the aggregate in the floor panel. Have fun with that!

Thirdly, there is a spindle hole for the second lock (not optioned, but provisioned) through the door.  Should it be plugged? Does it present a security or fire risk if the exact location is known from the outside?
It should be plugged. There should be a large 5/8 inch Grade-8 Bolt in the back screwed into a threaded steel spindle core and tight against the Auxiliary Lock platform. That plugs the hole very nicely. To remove it, you will need to grind/cut the tack-weld on the bolt head than keeps the bolt from being unscrewed from the front. The front is filled with a shallow layer of Bondo to make the hole disappear cosmetically. When you get the bolt out from the back. Use a 1/2" punch to pop the Bondo Plug out from the back. The plug should be exactly 6 inches from the Spindle Hole on the same elevation.

Some commercial customers bought these safes with the instruction to not use the Aux-Lock plug, because they were installing their own Auxiliary Lock. If this safe is one of those, you can simply buy a 5/8" x 2" Hex Bolt with a lock washer and screw it in the back to effect a good hole-plug. You may need to chase/tap the treads to clean it up for bolt installation.

Link Posted: 12/13/2018 8:24:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mr2guru] [#36]
Thanks!  Yeah,  definitely not plugged.  I would throw on a second ESL10x to act as a "day lock" while the kaba is spun open, but the lock bar doesn't reach the second assembly anyway.   I'd have to fashion a new longer lock bar.

The visual deterrent of two locks may be worth it to the methhead to not even try and subsequently destroy my locks and handle in vain.

I'll give it a go on the anchor... I'll report back with success or disgust/impressed. lol.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 9:21:24 PM EDT
[#37]
I just received a new AMSEC NF5924E5 with an ESL10XL lock.  I removed the door panel to look at the boltwork and have a few questions:

• The hole for the relocker appeared to be misaligned with the relocker.  To confirm, I triggered the relocker (with the door open and the safe in the locked position)  by pulling slightly on plate mounted to the back of the lock and sure enough, the relocker struck the bolt carrier (hopefully I’m using the correct term) without going into the hole.  I used a Dremel to shave off an additional 1/8” on the side of the hole and now the relocker operates properly.  Is it normal for the steel tab at the bottom of the relocker to be bent (skewed) the way it is?  It almost looks like someone just bent this into position using pliers but it does not appear to impact function.

• The piece clamped to the handle spindle appears to be torqued down very tight.  Is this normal?  If someone were to force the handle, is something else designed to give so the entire force does not get transmitted to the lock or is the lock robust enough to handle the force?

• My other two AMSECs also have an ESL10XL lock; however, the lock case is bronze in color while the new ESL10XL lock is gray.  Out of curiosity, is this just a cosmetic difference or did the case material change?

• I’ve included pictures for reference below.  Thank you very much.

Link Posted: 12/31/2018 9:42:12 PM EDT
    [#38]
    How did that pass QC?  Someone needs new glasses.
    Link Posted: 1/11/2019 9:37:15 AM EDT
    [#39]
    @TheSafeGuy

I appreciate the info you provide here. It’s very helpful!

I’m currently looking for my first safe and found an AmSec safe locally. The specifics are:

AmSec MFR. FILE: BP6526
    MODEL: 6 / 7 / F / D / B / G
    DATE CODE: QUARTER: 3

YEAR : 98

The safe looks to be in decent shape. Shelves and liner look to be in good shape. The handle has what looks like some corrosion spots. My concern is the safe looks like it’s been sitting on a concrete floor and the concrete looks like there’s a some rust staining on it (pic below).

The seller is firm on $700. I haven't seen it in person, I've only emailed the seller seeing if it was still available. Wondering if you think it’s a value buy.

Thanks again.

Attachment Attached File
    Link Posted: 1/20/2019 3:06:17 AM EDT
    [Last Edit: born2die] [#40]
    @TSG,

Could you tell us more on BFS912E5LP that's on your web site but not in the 2018 catalog?

Imported? Cast insulation? Steel plate in the door? How does it compare to the "real" BF series in terms of fire and burglary resistance?

Been looking for a compact fire safe that doesn't suck, this seems to fit the bill...

Thx :)
    Link Posted: 1/21/2019 10:22:36 PM EDT
    [Last Edit: JTHulkster] [#41]
    mr2guru, I noticed you added an X-07 to your TL-30: Dial slipping on spindle (can not retract bolt), bit-flip (sounds bad doesn't it?), and the bolt relock pin lockout (yikes!).  While your lock may be good to go, with a nice safe the cost of a lockout would cause me to add a good mechanical lock instead.  Betting you knew this already.

Your box looks like it is in a garage, so just wanted to leave one more comment.  Have you seen the safe cloak, tacky as hell right?  I purchased one for my Amvault and had a tailor fix it for me to match my front dimensions.  I love it a lot now.  On the odd chance that the garage door is open, anyone just peeping in sees nothing but a 'typical' garage.
    Link Posted: 1/28/2019 11:18:43 AM EDT
    [#42]
    I'm trying to decide between a BFII series or AmVault TL-15.

BFII6636 - $6,038.00
    Amvault TL-15 (CE-6528) - $5,355.00

The AmVault appears to be a better safe in regards to fire protection and attack resistance. It's also cheaper.

What advantages does the BFII have other then the interior and warranty?

Thanks!
    Link Posted: 2/7/2019 5:19:59 PM EDT
    [#43]
    Hello, I'm a newbie here but have been reading and lurking for a while but finally joined (to read this entire thread you have to have been around for a while)
    Thanks TSG and others for all of your insight and information - it has been amazingly valuable.

The question I have doesn't seem to have been answered so far in this thread - maybe partly.  It has to do with used safes.  If I go to various sites or local used safe places, I can find used TL15 and TL30 safes for sale, many are 20-30 years old (or more) and they still command fairly good prices.  That would lead me to think that the TL requirements/ratings haven't changed over the years, but I get the sense that the tools available to compromise the safes have.  So does a TL15 from 30 years ago not really measure up to a TL15 today?  In particular plate steel safes (see below).

I did see in this thread that even heavy (thick - let's say 1" for example) plate steel safes can be "easily" compromised with saws/grinders.  So, ignoring the issue of fire protection - only considering security, what is the market for these used plate steel safes which I get the sense that they don't offer as much security as say a Amsec BF safe with composite construction.  Or am I wrong?  Clearly a plate steel safe will be far and away superior to the big box store safes in terms of security - no smash and grab from them.  But are they really a relic from the past because today's tools and torches can make short work of them compared to composite safes?
    Link Posted: 2/8/2019 9:28:14 AM EDT
    [#44]
    Welcome to ARFCOM.  Got any Legos?
    Link Posted: 2/15/2019 6:18:58 PM EDT
    [#45]
    When comparing the costs for the two safes, a couple things to consider......

The CE6528 weighs in at around 3400 lbs, which is going to cost you additional when it comes to moving it. This is true for any safe over 2000 lbs, since a conventional truck lift gate can only handle up to 2000lbs. You will either need to rent a forklift,  have somebody who can operate it, and have it on stand-by when the safe get there.......  or have it delivered to a moving company dock and pay them to deliver it. You are also going to have to build a gun interior and buy / make a door organizer. In the end you would have a more secure safe, but it will most likely cost you more in the end than the BF, and be more inconvenient to deliver.
    Link Posted: 2/18/2019 6:24:05 PM EDT
    [#46]
    Originally Posted By Kermit68:
    When comparing the costs for the two safes, a couple things to consider......

The CE6528 weighs in at around 3400 lbs, which is going to cost you additional when it comes to moving it. This is true for any safe over 2000 lbs, since a conventional truck lift gate can only handle up to 2000lbs. You will either need to rent a forklift,  have somebody who can operate it, and have it on stand-by when the safe get there.......  or have it delivered to a moving company dock and pay them to deliver it. You are also going to have to build a gun interior and buy / make a door organizer. In the end you would have a more secure safe, but it will most likely cost you more in the end than the BF, and be more inconvenient to deliver.
    View Quote
    This is something I've been considering as well.  I'm looking at the RF6528, BF6636, and BFII6636 and will be doing something later this year but for me the logistics will be hell.  My house is tiled which I think the safes would wreck and the room I most want to put one in has a weird entrance where a small "closet cubicle" is in front of the door necessitating a weird double pivot.

Of course, this leads to the garage.  I have a huge, 2 x 2 garage.  There is even a nice recessed area I could use.  I don't know how I'd feel about a garage install due to:

Weather, heat, humidity, cold (batteries in NVGs, optics, etc)
    Ease of access/removal for potential burglar

Picking a safe is only one thing.  Finding a place to put it and getting it installed seems like 90% of the fight.
    Link Posted: 3/9/2019 11:24:38 PM EDT
    [#47]
    Ok, I have the 1st question of the year for TSG.  Has a Sargent and Greenleaf Time Lock been fitted to a TL30 Amvault (eg 6280)?  Would this be an unusual request of AMSEC and typical of something special order and not for a composite safe, maybe typical of plate only?  Likely easier to change the type of lock for specific time of entry.

Second question which may have been asked already.  Would it be true that TL30 Amvault burglary resistance is the following: 90's < 00's < 10's?  Or was the 1st generation product pretty damn good and it hardened to a slab to pure defense?  Just curious as my locksmith put the fear of god in me that it would be $$$ for a lockout.

In response to some of the questions above, if I had the money again I would order new with the specifics that I wanted (TL30 / UL 681 setup), be sure that the alarm company knows what they are doing, AND use a reputable locksmith who sells high security products.
    Link Posted: 3/12/2019 1:14:56 PM EDT
    [Last Edit: TheSafeGuy] [#48]
    Originally Posted By JTHulkster:
    Ok, I have the 1st question of the year for TSG.  Has a Sargent and Greenleaf Time Lock been fitted to a TL30 Amvault (eg 6280)?  Would this be an unusual request of AMSEC and typical of something special order and not for a composite safe, maybe typical of plate only?  Likely easier to change the type of lock for specific time of entry.
    View All Quotes
    Originally Posted By JTHulkster:
    The 6280, and locks like it, are used almost exclusively in banks. The lock may not do what you think it does. This lock is a wind-up opening delay device. So, when you shut the safe, you wind in a delay period so that it can't be opened until it times out. We call them 144 hour time-locks, because that is the max time limit. That scenario is suited for daily and weekend business operations. I would guess that's not what you really want?

The places where we can apply this in a custom configuration are limited to TL safes. This is -never- requested or sold for residential use, so the option to install the Timelock is not supported in most non-TL rated safe designs.

There are good alternatives if you wish to set desired/scheduled times to allow opening. One option is the ESLAudit access control system. It can be installed on any safe, and replaces the Keypad with a "Controller". You can Google it and read about the features, but it's very capable of tons of higher level control scenarios.

(sorry the linked image from the website is so big.)

The ESLAudit is fast becoming the access control system of choice, with a reasonable price point, it's not a terrible choice for personal protection. You have the opportunity to use digital "eKeys" and PIN Codes to elevate the level of security, you can control other Users with a host of administrative tools, and it's reliability is proving to be extremely good. This lock is currently getting deployed into every Walgreens and Walmart pharmacy in the nation to secure Schedule I and II controlled substances.

Second question which may have been asked already.  Would it be true that TL30 Amvault burglary resistance is the following: 90's < 00's < 10's?  Or was the 1st generation product pretty damn good and it hardened to a slab to pure defense?  Just curious as my locksmith put the fear of god in me that it would be $$$ for a lockout.
    While it's true that the burglary resistance improves a bit every time a UL687 listing (TL Safes) goes thru re-testing, it does not mean an older label is void or irrelevant. The safes still provide premium attack resistance, and the changes are not that significant. It's mostly about technique and tool quality that raises the bar, and not about new tools implemented. I would not hesitate to buy a 90's era TL safe as a low-budget option for security.
    Link Posted: 3/12/2019 1:27:03 PM EDT
    [#49]
    Originally Posted By Lightman:
    If I go to various sites or local used safe places, I can find used TL15 and TL30 safes for sale, many are 20-30 years old (or more) and they still command fairly good prices.  That would lead me to think that the TL requirements/ratings haven't changed over the years, but I get the sense that the tools available to compromise the safes have.  So does a TL15 from 30 years ago not really measure up to a TL15 today?  In particular plate steel safes (see below).

I did see in this thread that even heavy (thick - let's say 1" for example) plate steel safes can be "easily" compromised with saws/grinders.  So, ignoring the issue of fire protection - only considering security, what is the market for these used plate steel safes which I get the sense that they don't offer as much security as say a Amsec BF safe with composite construction.  Or am I wrong?  Clearly a plate steel safe will be far and away superior to the big box store safes in terms of security - no smash and grab from them.  But are they really a relic from the past because today's tools and torches can make short work of them compared to composite safes?
    View Quote

Well, first and foremost, we are talking about tool resistant safes, not torch resistant. A torch resistant safe will push into the $10k-plus price range, even for a small one. There is so little demand for them that they are only made by a few offshore companies.

Used plate safes are a great security selection. My sales guys would shoot me for saying that, but I'm here to help, not to sell. Yes, UL listings improve over time, but as noted in my last post, they are not huge leaps in security. UL learns as we go from one re-test to the next on the 7-year cycle. I have managed 4 cycles of this forced security evolution, and none of these increments required sweeping revolutionary change. It has brought about a few "innovations" that were good, but for the most part it's small increments. I would not turn away an opportunity to buy a 30 year old TL if my budget was limiting my buying power.
    Link Posted: 3/12/2019 1:49:04 PM EDT
    [#50]
    Originally Posted By ssean15:
    I'm trying to decide between a BFII series or AmVault TL-15.

BFII6636 - $6,038.00
    Amvault TL-15 (CE-6528) - $5,355.00

The AmVault appears to be a better safe in regards to fire protection and attack resistance. It's also cheaper.

What advantages does the BFII have other then the interior and warranty?

Thanks!
    View Quote

Franky, none. I was not aware that consumer retail prices have presented this point of confusion. This may be a dealer-specific pricing thing. If I look at the "official" price book, the RF6528 (TL30) sells for $7500 -retail-. The CE6528 (TL15) sells for $5678 retail (no gun interior). The more comparably sized BFII6030 (textured finish) sells for $4920. The BFII-6636 is a much larger safe, and it's not really fair to compare it to a CE6528.

Please note, the retail numbers are published prices that we provide, and our dealers are not allowed to -advertise- prices below the published MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) program pricing. They do not necessarily represent the prices that dealers and distributors may sell at. They can work on smaller margins and sell well below MAP prices if they choose, they just can't advertise below MAP prices.
    Arrow Left Previous Page
    Page / 57
    Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
    Top Top