Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2015 1:02:30 AM EDT
Hi,

tried to do some google searching but my results came back with nothing of help.

Question: If you buy an hk33 receiver flat and it comes with a manufacturers name and model stamped what are your options for building it? Item has no serial number on it.

Reason I ask is a gunsmith says that I wasted my money because it is illegal for anyone to build up a receiver that has another companies name and model stamped on it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 2:12:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hi,

tried to do some google searching but my results came back with nothing of help.

Question: If you buy an hk33 receiver flat and it comes with a manufacturers name and model stamped what are your options for building it? Item has no serial number on it.

Reason I ask is a gunsmith says that I wasted my money because it is illegal for anyone to build up a receiver that has another companies name and model stamped on it.
View Quote

Not illegal at all, though if you are a licensed manufacturer, you are ALSO required to stamp your name and model information, etc on it.  No such requirement for an unlicensed maker, except under the purview of the NFA.

If you want to build from a pre-stamped flat, you can obscure the marks if you want (not a firearm now, so no problem removing erroneous marks), or leave them there and build as you will.  There may be state or local laws which would complicate things, but none that I know of federally, or in Colorado, where I reside.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 4:17:15 PM EDT
[#2]
<-- 07/C2 FFL
Quoted:
Hi,

View Quote

Send him the links to the US Code and CFR's that regulate firearms, and ask for a cite.  He'll be looking for a long time, because it isn't there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top