Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/22/2016 3:25:58 PM EDT
LAV posted on his Facebook that he just got a bunch of info on the new F90.
Looks pretty slick
He also said semi auto US market guns are planned. Can anyone confirm?
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 3:34:38 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Looks pretty slick

View Quote
Yes.  I talked to them at the NRA show yesterday.  Planning to try and get ATF approval "by the end of the year".

I got to play with the only one in the US while there, but forgot to get pictures.  Nice guys.  They said to follow Lithgow Arms USA on FB for more information as it becomes availabile.  MUCH better balance than the AUG.

Link Posted: 5/22/2016 3:41:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes.  I talked to them at the NRA show yesterday.  Planning to try and get ATF approval "by the end of the year".

I got to play with the only one in the US while there, but forgot to get pictures.  Nice guys.  They said to follow Lithgow Arms USA on FB for more information as it becomes availabile.  MUCH better balance than the AUG.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks pretty slick

Thanks for the reply and info.
Any idea on possible MSRP?
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 4:24:12 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Looks pretty slick

$2000 is all they'd say, with a "realistic list price near the Tavor, or else it's pointless."

Link Posted: 5/22/2016 4:31:39 PM EDT
[#4]

I won't trade my Steyr for it, but it was interesting.   I'll have to dig the brochure out because things are a blur, but I remember it had the early style cocking knob, a long top rail, a short rail under the gas cylinder (but didn't think to see how it was attached), and a case deflector behind the ejection port.   A small thing I liked was the gas cylinder plug was made with a sort of ring on the end to grab onto when turning or removing.  They said the gas system was simplified but didn't elaborate.  They claimed 1.1 lbs less weight and its noticeable.   It felt more muzzle heavy than my AUG but it had smaller optics than mine has.  They said it has a more rearward balance.

They plan on a 16" and 20", and gave them different names.  One was called something like "ATAKR" and the other I can't recall.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 4:41:39 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c240/ColtsR4Football/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpse980wn6r.jpg

I won't trade my Steyr for it, but it was interesting.   I'll have to dig the brochure out because things are a blur, but I remember it had the early style cocking knob, a long top rail, a short rail under the gas cylinder (but didn't think to see how it was attached), and a case deflector behind the ejection port.   A small thing I liked was the gas cylinder plug was made with a sort of ring on the end to grab onto when turning or removing.  They said the gas system was simplified but didn't elaborate.  They claimed 1.1 lbs less weight and its noticeable.   It felt more muzzle heavy than my AUG but it had smaller optics than mine has.  They said it has a more rearward balance.

They plan on a 16" and 20", and gave them different names.  One was called something like "ATAKR" and the other I can't recall.
View Quote
Hooray, someone to make up for my picture fail!

They did seem to make a huge deal out of the upcoming Magpul AUG mags as a cheap supply of mags.  Didn't make it seem like a NATO mag version was a real high priority for them.

Link Posted: 5/22/2016 5:00:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

They did seem to make a huge deal out of the upcoming Magpul AUG mags as a cheap supply of mags.  Didn't make it seem like a NATO mag version was a real high priority for them.

View Quote

A NATO mag version of the gun shouldn't be a priority for a gun designed to use AUG mags. Nothing wrong with AUG mags, nothing at all (except for price), which magpull will soon take care of...

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_124/276036_SO__About_those_2015_AUG_mags____.html
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 5:13:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Steyr-Mannlicher was talking with them last year, but nothing came of it. Supposedly the Austrians didn't want to pay the royalties or for the F90 to eat into AUG sales, even if it did they would have gotten a piece of the profit. Now with Thales on their own, Steyr gets nothing.  Glad to see that this is going forward.

Link Posted: 5/22/2016 6:38:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
A NATO mag version of the gun shouldn't be a priority for a gun designed to use AUG mags. Nothing wrong with AUG mags, nothing at all (except for price), which magpull will soon take care of...

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_124/276036_SO__About_those_2015_AUG_mags____.html
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

NATO mags are a priority when I've got a lot of them laying around already  

Link Posted: 5/22/2016 8:07:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have about 150 USGI mags (which i haven't shot in years). The last time I shot a gun with a USGI mag was when I had a Tavor... AUG mags are perfection.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 8:45:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, they talked up those Magpul mags to me too.  Then later when I was at the Magpul booth and asked about AUG mags, they acted like we might see them someday, possibly, maybe, perhaps, in our lifetime, as if there was very little priority placed on them.  But who knows?  

They also talked up a quick caliber change feature, then demonstrated this feature by pressing the takedown button and pulling the action forward from the stock.  I'm looking at it like "OK... when are you gonna do it?" when I realize he just did all he was going to do.   Either I missed something or there was nothing to miss.  I thought about getting my AUG and showing them the neat barrel removal feature they've always had, but chose not to.

But all crap talk aside, it did look good.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 9:15:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Oh man I do want not sure it will beat my augs but is close I am sure... Looks amazing...
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 9:19:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 10:36:11 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c240/ColtsR4Football/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpse980wn6r.jpg

According to Larry's FB response:

Larry Vickers A STANAG mag version is planned

This is added good news and a way to tailor to the American market centered around the AR-15 and it's components. Now that I retired my MSAR, I'd be down for a 20" model!

Link Posted: 5/22/2016 10:40:42 PM EDT
[#14]
while i'm a fan of the idea of the F90, i hate that they removed the two most distinguishing AUG features...the removable barrel and the folding VFG.  the Steyr grip is absolutely the most ergonomically correct and comfortable VFG ever put on a rifle.  Maybe Steyr, Lithgow/Thales could make a folding one with the same shape that attaches to that front rail.

I also wonder if the F90 is as accurate as the AUG with that thinner barrel

They also destroyed the aesthetics of the front third of the rifle where the top and bottom rails connect to the barrel

Link Posted: 5/23/2016 12:11:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have lots of details and pictures, will post as soon as I get back from the show.

Sven
Manticore Arns

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Oh baby Sven going to hook us up with some sexy pics... I really like the looks and ideas behinds this rifle.... I understand the guys who are disliking of this rifle because of it departure from the original aug. but like the Tavor and the x95 I look at them as seprate rifles and enjoy them as such. I am excited to feel one of these and hope to be able to add one to then crew before elections..haha hopefully... Sven what was your feel on the ergos and overall plateform feel?
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 10:30:59 AM EDT
[#16]
I've wanted one of those for a while now, I really like the way they look.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 11:15:06 AM EDT
[#17]
it looks like the manufacturer name, location, serial # are all on the barrel instead of on the receiver.  since the barrel isn't removable, does that mean it's considered a permanent part of the receiver?
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 11:24:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
it looks like the manufacturer name, location, serial # are all on the barrel instead of on the receiver.  since the barrel isn't removable, does that mean it's considered a permanent part of the receiver?
View Quote

Not 100% sure but I think you are right that the barrel is part of the receiver.

Kinda sucks for barrel change. If you buy a 20" model I guess you are stuck with that. No spare barrel either.

But hey, I will be one of the 1st ones in line to get one!

Pete
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 11:58:35 AM EDT
[#19]
ATF allows a manufacturer to engrave on the frame or barrel. Some manufacturers do this on their bolt guns.

Will find citation from ATF later.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 4:52:00 PM EDT
[#20]
The barrel is removeable and watched them do so.  Gun felt noticeably lighter and with improved trigger over AUG.  Front portion of handguard is designed to accept 40mm gl.  AUG mag version first followed by STANAG.  Gun is currently awaiting ATF approval.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 5:13:09 PM EDT
[#21]
I am looking forward to these.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 5:20:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I am looking forward to these.
View Quote

I am too.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 5:23:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The barrel is removeable and watched them do so.  Gun felt noticeably lighter and with improved trigger over AUG.  Front portion of handguard is designed to accept 40mm gl.  AUG mag version first followed by STANAG.  Gun is currently awaiting ATF approval.
View Quote

You're saying that they removed the barrel/receiver unit from the stock, then disconnected the barrel from the receiver?

I don't see how that is possible with tools.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 5:24:56 PM EDT
[#24]
anyone else feel that the top rail is 1/4"-3/8" too high?
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 6:01:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Hopefully they can do a standard thread pitch and muzzle contour.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 8:50:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 8:55:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 9:01:31 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

The barrel is removable, but it isn't like the AUG of past we all know, let me explain what I saw and how Lithgow explained it (pics to follow, uploading now)

The barrel is essentially the receiver- the cross bolt locks into a slot on the bottom of the large chamber area of the barrel.  The aluminum rails and some composite components bolt around the barrel, but there really isn't a traditional receiver like on most other guns.

The barrels are currently marked with all the data and SN, and Lithgow USA is waiting for the ATF to make final determination on what is considered the receiver and where to put markings due to the unique construction. Apparently even the ATF was a bit puzzled at what to do, and is working with Lithgow on it.  
View Quote
This would solve the issue of caliber or barrel changes, hopefully.

Link Posted: 5/23/2016 9:16:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 9:18:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 9:20:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The barrel is removable, but it isn't like the AUG of past we all know, let me explain what I saw and how Lithgow explained it (pics to follow, uploading now)

The barrel is essentially the receiver- the cross bolt locks into a slot on the bottom of the large chamber area of the barrel.  The aluminum rails and some composite components bolt around the barrel, but there really isn't a traditional receiver like on most other guns.
View Quote

The barrel is removed from the"receiver" without tools being needed ?
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 10:16:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 11:29:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Here is a Pic from TFB

You can see "sort of"  what Sven is talking about - The pic looks to be from a brochure and is kind of small.

What I am really interested is in the "improved lighter" trigger.

Are we talking RDB, KM17 area or Tavor with a LB or Geiselle (sp?) trigger or will it be ~ 6.5 lbs

Quoted:

The barrel has a composite (i.e. similar to delrin polymer)  component sandwiched and bolted around it, and the top and bottom rails are bolted around the barrel.  Could the components be unbolted and you change for another type of barrel?  Yes (dependent on what the ATF determines is the serialized part).   Is it a quick change barrel system?  No.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The barrel is removed from the"receiver" without tools being needed ?

The barrel has a composite (i.e. similar to delrin polymer)  component sandwiched and bolted around it, and the top and bottom rails are bolted around the barrel.  Could the components be unbolted and you change for another type of barrel?  Yes (dependent on what the ATF determines is the serialized part).   Is it a quick change barrel system?  No.  

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 12:30:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The barrel isn't thinner on the F90, and by deleting the quick change barrel (which was never used anyway other than by karl in Die Hard. ;)  ) they were able to vastly strengthen and beef up the chamber area, which is the most common area of wear and failure of the AUG- worn locking locks, slipping headspace because of that, chamber overheating and accelerated wear, and wear to the point the firing pin can't set off rounds are all hallmarks of the AUG design.  Not something you see on the semiauto version, but I have seen it happen firsthand on full auto AUGs.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
while i'm a fan of the idea of the F90, i hate that they removed the two most distinguishing AUG features...the removable barrel and the folding VFG.  the Steyr grip is absolutely the most ergonomically correct and comfortable VFG ever put on a rifle.  Maybe Steyr, Lithgow/Thales could make a folding one with the same shape that attaches to that front rail.

I also wonder if the F90 is as accurate as the AUG with that thinner barrel

They also destroyed the aesthetics of the front third of the rifle where the top and bottom rails connect to the barrel

The barrel isn't thinner on the F90, and by deleting the quick change barrel (which was never used anyway other than by karl in Die Hard. ;)  ) they were able to vastly strengthen and beef up the chamber area, which is the most common area of wear and failure of the AUG- worn locking locks, slipping headspace because of that, chamber overheating and accelerated wear, and wear to the point the firing pin can't set off rounds are all hallmarks of the AUG design.  Not something you see on the semiauto version, but I have seen it happen firsthand on full auto AUGs.  

what causes the worn locks? Is it removing the barrel or heating up the barrel under fire?
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 12:51:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 6:41:02 AM EDT
[#36]
It would appear that the chamber/lock up section is what may get serialized.  This will make barrel replacement expensive.  If it is not the serialized part that barrel looks very expensive anyway unless that is a two or three  part design?
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 7:19:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

You're saying that they removed the barrel/receiver unit from the stock, then disconnected the barrel from the receiver?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

EDIT- Never mind.  I posted begore seeing a second page.  Duh.
But I still wouldn't call removing all of that mess  "removing the barrel" anymore than separating the two halves of an AR.

Using the general idea that the receiver is what the barrel is screwed/pressed/clamped/whatever into, to me, there is little question the receiver should be the part similar to the AUG's- the triangular part the barrel is mounted to.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 8:38:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 8:53:51 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I would tend to agree- the only issue with that is the "triangular part" is made of composite, not metal, so it would require a metal tag bonded/molded to it for the serial number. If I were Lithgow that is how I would do it to prevent the barrel from being the serialized part.
View Quote

So everything that looks like the receiver (the triangle part) is some type of polymer?

And the rails bolted on, they're metal?
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 8:58:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Some observations from your pictures.
The bolt sleeve (which may not even be compatible with an AUG) is the old "short" design.
It doesn't look like they are using a trunnion or barrel extension. Looks like the chamber area/barrel is one expensively machined part..
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:08:26 AM EDT
[#41]
The AUG never really interested me. For some reason this does.

Is the gas adjustable? I wonder how well it would suppress.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:10:33 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I would tend to agree- the only issue with that is the "triangular part" is made of composite, not metal, so it would require a metal tag bonded/molded to it for the serial number. If I were Lithgow that is how I would do it to prevent the barrel from being the serialized part.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

EDIT- Never mind.  I posted begore seeing a second page.  Duh.
But I still wouldn't call removing all of that mess  "removing the barrel" anymore than separating the two halves of an AR.

Using the general idea that the receiver is what the barrel is screwed/pressed/clamped/whatever into, to me, there is little question the receiver should be the part similar to the AUG's- the triangular part the barrel is mounted to.

Wow. I had no idea that was composite.  I got to handle the one at the show, but not when it was apart.  
Hmmm.   Knowing that now, I'd almost think it should be even lighter than it is.

And yes, I'd think a molded-in tag would be the way to go, for a number of reasons.  Not the least of which is that it should be the part least likely to ever need replaced.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:33:27 AM EDT
[#43]
Neat....
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:36:57 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:37:32 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:44:47 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
And yes, I'd think a molded-in tag would be the way to go, for a number of reasons.  Not the least of which is that it should be the part least likely to ever need replaced.
View Quote

Agreed, making the barrel the receiver is a mistake. If anything ever happened to the barrel to necessitate replacement, you're screwed.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:36:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Cool looking gun....
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 1:28:53 PM EDT
[#48]
When I see plastic anywhere near the barrel, I can't help but wonder.  

Maybe I don't understand the interaction of parts and materials here, but looking back on what happened with the G36, where the barrel trunion was seated in plastic and when heated, moved around randomly affecting accuracy I wonder:

How does this system forestall a similar issue?

If someone could describe how this is set up such that it's not a concern I'd appreciate it.  

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 1:32:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
When I see plastic anywhere near the barrel, I can't help but wonder.  

Maybe I don't understand the interaction of parts and materials here, but looking back on what happened with the G36, where the barrel trunion was seated in plastic and when heated, moved around randomly affecting accuracy I wonder:

How does this system forestall a similar issue?

If someone could describe how this is set up such that it's not a concern I'd appreciate it.  

View Quote

My question exacly.  The answer here is make or break for this rifle.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 2:16:03 PM EDT
[#50]
It looks like the "cocking body" is not attached to the barrel, but to the gas block and sight rail.  So the plastic body will help dampen a recoil whipping action of the sight rail that also butts up against the stock assembly.  Then the question is how hot that portion of the gas black gets?  One would guess, very hot.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top